Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
it's hard sometimes to turn off RPG-brain and realize that I'm not getting extra XP if i kill EVERY SINGLE DUDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bmac32 posted:

I'm just not sure what the point of the "don't kill this monster" in a "kill all these monsters" game really is. There should definitely be some kind of reward for killing them.

technically there's no reward for killing any enemies in the game, all you need to do is complete the mission. There's also no reward for killing any of the other monsters, aside from the "kill monsters" weekly for Melk which DHs also qualify to tick up.

I'm okay with not being forced to feel like I need to engage with DHs for some sort of reward.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There's no reward for being the guy who kills the most guys either. The game doesn't care as long as you make it to the little room at the end of the map.

Disable your scoreboard mod and be free of the poison grip of Numbers.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Darktide is filled with mechanics that are designed to mix things up. Standing off to the side, peacefully sniping things? Here’s a couple random bruisers swinging at your back. Chewing through a hundred poxwalkers by spamming m1 melee? Have a Bulwark or five. Holding a great choke point? A couple Bombers force you to move and hunt them down.

Demonhosts fit into this paradigm perfectly. Tactical variety and the random peaks-and-valleys pacing that the Director provides go a long way ensuring this game is never boring.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
I have no scoreboard, but I am here with a giant chainsaw and I want to kill monsters.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bmac32 posted:

I'm just not sure what the point of the "don't kill this monster" in a "kill all these monsters" game really is. There should definitely be some kind of reward for killing them.

It’s not a monster, it’s a hazard. It’s there to make fighting in and passing through its area more dangerous, much as a minefield would. It’s just that the penalty for setting off the mine is a nasty monster fight.

Which is also why there’s no reward for fighting it. You don’t get a reward for stepping on a mine. If you get rewarded for stuff you’re supposed to want to avoid, you won’t want to avoid it.

megane fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 13, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
We should also get rewards for blowing up barrels! Turn them into pinatas!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

watching the ogryn go flying off the map is reward enough for me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm trying out a grenadier veteran build and as long as you don't mind skipping keystone talents it's a lot of fun and nigh unkillable if you stack toughness and shouting

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 13, 2024

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm trying out a grenadier veteran build and as long as you don't mind skipping keystone talents it's a lot of fun and nigh unkillable if you stack toughness and shouting

Vet keystones are honestly pretty optional. Mostly small buffs instead of major force multipliers like the other classes can get.

Weapon Mastery is a pretty good one to just invest the one point into if you want to do a melee focused build, but getting all of the tagging nodes can be worth it if you're going for a heavy support shouty and regen vet.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Personally I don't like the voice modulation because the last time in a game with a Seer psyker with one our entire team was swiveling our heads backwards because we'd suddenly hear a VERY loud and deep unfamiliar voice that made us all instinctively look for the maulers/crushers behind us.

100% same. If someone made a mod to remove it I'd be all over it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know there's an in-game option for "Headgear voice effect," does that turn it off incoming from other players if you turn it off there? I haven't tried it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
On the rewards screen, sometimes you skip right to the rewards and other times the gang just hangs. Why the hell is that and is there a way to stop it?

Internet Explorer posted:

I know there's an in-game option for "Headgear voice effect," does that turn it off incoming from other players if you turn it off there? I haven't tried it.

I'll give it a shot

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

On the rewards screen, sometimes you skip right to the rewards and other times the gang just hangs. Why the hell is that and is there a way to stop it?

Other people with poo poo connections, I think. It always seems that the Xbox players tend to hang the results screen, and my theory is that the server has to communicate to all players before moving on.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I asked elsewhere and they said it has something to do with Merge Striketeams, which I have never, ever done or cared about.

isndl
May 2, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I asked elsewhere and they said it has something to do with Merge Striketeams, which I have never, ever done or cared about.

It started seeing some use with the special assignment hard mode, if you happen to run into a competent team.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

isndl posted:

It started seeing some use with the special assignment hard mode, if you happen to run into a competent team.

The last time I queued up for the Twins I joined two other players who were waiting right before the boss elevator. We waited 10 minutes for a 4th, but then one of them left and then I left.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Sharkopath posted:

Vet keystones are honestly pretty optional. Mostly small buffs instead of major force multipliers like the other classes can get.

Weapon Mastery is a pretty good one to just invest the one point into if you want to do a melee focused build, but getting all of the tagging nodes can be worth it if you're going for a heavy support shouty and regen vet.

In terms of a force multiplier, Focus Target with all the subnodes is the best keystone in the game. Up to 32% damage against a priority target and/or a constant 12% damage boost, plus 5% toughness and stam regen every 2s. If these only benefited the individual it would be good, but multiply those numbers by 4 since they're affecting the entire team. What other class keystone compares, really?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grumio posted:

Darktidephil

Thread title

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

megane posted:

It’s not a monster, it’s a hazard. It’s there to make fighting in and passing through its area more dangerous, much as a minefield would. It’s just that the penalty for setting off the mine is a nasty monster fight.

Which is also why there’s no reward for fighting it. You don’t get a reward for stepping on a mine. If you get rewarded for stuff you’re supposed to want to avoid, you won’t want to avoid it.

Like, I am joking, but also, its a monster. It acts like all the other monsters in the game. You can kill it with weapons. I don't remember running into mines ever. But whatever.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does the demonhost count as a monstrosity for your weeklies?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Evil Kit posted:

technically there's no reward for killing any enemies in the game, all you need to do is complete the mission. There's also no reward for killing any of the other monsters, aside from the "kill monsters" weekly for Melk which DHs also qualify to tick up.

I'm okay with not being forced to feel like I need to engage with DHs for some sort of reward.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Magitek posted:

In terms of a force multiplier, Focus Target with all the subnodes is the best keystone in the game. Up to 32% damage against a priority target and/or a constant 12% damage boost, plus 5% toughness and stam regen every 2s. If these only benefited the individual it would be good, but multiply those numbers by 4 since they're affecting the entire team. What other class keystone compares, really?

I mostly agree, but uptime on it can be harder to keep and dependent on enemy spawns than say blazing piety, which is a massive damage (and toughness if you went down right side) increase for zealot that requires almost no work to keep uptime for.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 13, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sharkopath posted:

I mostly agree, but uptime on it can be harder to keep than say blazing piety, which is a massive damage increase for zealot that requires almost no work to keep uptime for.

sure but BP is just for the Zealot. Makes sense the teamwide buff would require a bit more effort to keep uptime going on.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Yes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The problem with the Demonhost is that it doesn't understand what made the Witch from the Left 4 Dead games work, sure the Witch was dangerous but generally unless you were in the middle of a horde when it gets triggered it's usually pretty easy for the team to just gun her down in a couple seconds and then move on because she's actually pretty fragile, meanwhile the Demonhost is just a humongous annoying timesink

Basically with the Witch you might come out of an encounter griping about having to waste a bunch of bullets(and maybe some pills if anyone was dumb enough to actually get hit by her) but it won't kill the mood, with the Demonhost that can quite often just ruin an entire mission's vibe even if you managed to make it through without anyone dying due to the time and resources needed to kill the thing(and that's assuming you don't have the bad luck of a horde triggering during your fight with it or Emperor forbid another Monstrosity getting triggered) which can often result in limping through a mission you normally would have otherwise had no issues with

isndl
May 2, 2012
The Witch was made to fit into a game with a PvP mode so she functioned as a speed bump that an opposing team could plan an attack around. Her spawning was random so you sometimes were forced into triggering her because she was sitting in the doorway you had to go through, and there was no block or dodge mechanic so the only way to fight her was to DPS race her. Being able to literally one-shot her also made her a complete joke for anyone with a shotgun (which was everyone in L4D1 because weapon balance was busted).

Daemonhosts are a lot more threatening but you're always guaranteed a path around them because the spawning locations are hand placed. You have a ton more tools for fighting them, between a much more diverse weapons selection, blocking and dodging, and class abilities. The AI also has no idea how to leverage the DH except by accident.

Overall I would say the DH is fine, just have it gently caress off after one kill at higher difficulties because it's already hard enough to play when you're down one person and that would reduce the encounter length significantly. Lower difficulties can have it leave after downing someone instead of killing them if it needs to be easier.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't understand why so many people don't seem to know about the giant white particle cloud that signals her presence. Like yeah, the actual model can be tricky to spot, but any idiot should be able to look at most lighting situations and say "oh, DH over there"

Does it just not show on some graphic settings?

vvv Not even that. It's a big white particle cloud you can see a mile away. I'll try to get a screenshot.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 14, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ill admit to never noticing that your view frosts over as you get close to them until recently but their audio cues have always felt very clear to me so ive never had trouble knowing one was nearby.

except once or twice where it was either clipped into the floor or i dropped vertically onto it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

"BUZZZ BUZZZ BUZZZ BUZZZZ" is usually the giveaway that she's there.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That big white cloud there -- do some people not get that in their graphic settings?

Reiley posted:

"BUZZZ BUZZZ BUZZZ BUZZZZ" is usually the giveaway that she's there.

Yeah but Overwatch taught me that a shocking number of people play games without sound.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm not a design flaw, I'm not!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That big white cloud there -- do some people not get that in their graphic settings?

On lowest graphic settings, the cloud isn't always there. It can also blend in to other environmental objects, or get suppressed or be hard to see in certain kind of lighting conditions. On lowest, I recognize most demonhosts by sound and then carefully looking around for the kneeling person, or by the green glow on nearby objects. I have nearly bumped into one a few times when there are a bunch of enemies / shooters about and I couldn't see any visual signs.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The cloud also disappears when you're in stealth, and the audio is somewhat muted. I've walked into a DH while stealthed before (doesn't trigger them). I've also stabbed an enemy right next to them before while in stealth (does trigger them).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Messing around with Psyker, its funny how their flamethrower is infinitely better feeling than zealot's because it doesnt have the huge ammo issues or long ready time, despite not having more damage really.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've noticed this weird thing for me, and I don't know if this is confirmation bias truly, but if I see one DH in a level, there's always a cloud. The second DH? Not so much.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Magitek posted:

you can use the right keystone to regen one bullet on every a single melee hit and shoot into crowds like an old timey cowboy with the revolver then switch back and do it again. Your heretical numbers can’t beat that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I once had a guy in my game being increadibly racist and noticed the other two were with him. So I shot the demonhost and disconnected.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

I once had a guy in my game being increadibly racist and noticed the other two were with him. So I shot the demonhost and disconnected.

Doing a fine job as the squad's commissar, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, I do have one pet peeve and it's gotten so bad lately with most of the random's I queue into I try to rush to grab any healing supplies so they don't go to waste.