Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I have memories of messing around with the original SimCity a little, but I couldn't even tell you where. But once I got a copy of SC2K for the PlayStation, hoo that was plenty to ensure I would always love building cities.

Even though the ports often suffered or had to make sacrifices, the ability of the PS1 to bring so many PC bangers to console gamers was a big strength, especially in the first couple of years. SimCity 2000, Theme Park and Hospital, X-Com, Command & Conquer, Diablo, Civ 2, Warcraft II... the list goes on. I assume PC tech improvements were responsible for the decline in such ports as time passed, I feel like they were really frontloaded in the console's lifespan. I was immensely disappointed when things like X-Com Apocalypse, SMAC, and so on didn't make it over the way their predecessors had.

Not like these ever competed with the real titans of the console, but as a kid with a PS and no PC this was a blessing. And now I use a PC to emulate the PS's games. The wheel turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

It kinda sucks that the sim city 2000 version on game pass is the dos version. having grown up with sc2k4win its astonishing how much i recoil at the dos version ui/ux

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

It kinda sucks that the sim city 2000 version on game pass is the dos version. having grown up with sc2k4win its astonishing how much i recoil at the dos version ui/ux

Give me

or give me death

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Seeing that is like snorting a line of yayo, but also lmfao did Will just arrive to the photoshoot from 1977?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually, come to think of it I seem to recall that that was because sc2k4win is incompatible with 64-bit operating systems in some way, so it's easier to just wrap the DOS version in DOSBox. (I think you can get sc2k4win working but you need third party hacks)

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

quote:

SimCity chat

Well at least we've moved on from discussing Cities Skylines 2, that's got to be a good thing right?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ms Adequate posted:

Wait did the same guy fix both?

Yep.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

MVP of the SimCity community right there, holy poo poo!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seriously impressive work, fixing two insane bugs that had stymied the community for years and years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't pay attention to the particulars of the SC4 modding scene--on a scale of 1 to Arthmoor, how batshit is that person?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't pay attention to the particulars of the SC4 modding scene--on a scale of 1 to Arthmoor, how batshit is that person?

About a 1.5; just intensely dedicated to the work.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I take it from the SimCity 4 posts that they've not fixed the problems with CS2 yet huh

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I like SimCity 3k with the scenarios. There was a cool one where you had to combat pollution in a city, and another where the ice caps melted and you had to maximise the available space

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Reminds me of the guy that hacked the Morrowind exe to also fix a ton of engine bugs. Some modders are just that dedicated.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hacking Bethesda games to fix bugs is standard practice since then. A game comes out, people fix what they can with the datafiles and scripts, ultimately it all gets collated into a big popular Unofficial Patch mod that's the first thing it's always recommended to install.

Then the silverlock script extender group will hack the engine exe itself to build a script extender to create new hooks to enable better modding and bugfixes. It's pretty standard for more detailed mods to have the game's script extender as a dependency.

Not sure who was on the Morrowind one but I know it's been the some of the same people handling the script extender hack from Oblivion all the way up to Starfield.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 13, 2024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

And if the game really needs some work done, some crazy bastards might just do a reimplementation, like OpenMW/OpenTTD/OpenXCom, and this will pave the way for tremendous bug fixes and modding potential.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Horsebanger posted:

I like SimCity 3k with the scenarios. There was a cool one where you had to combat pollution in a city, and another where the ice caps melted and you had to maximise the available space

Scenarios I feel are underused in this genre. I personally prefer starting off with something pre-made and going from there. So many cities are the way they are because of decisions of the past conflicting with those of the present. Inheriting another's work and having to work around that seems more realistic to me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Count Roland posted:

Scenarios I feel are underused in this genre. I personally prefer starting off with something pre-made and going from there. So many cities are the way they are because of decisions of the past conflicting with those of the present. Inheriting another's work and having to work around that seems more realistic to me.

Those kinds of scenarios are/were bread and butter in Theme Park/Theme Hospital games and in Rollercoaster tycoon/Planet Coaster so it's kind of strange they don't bleed into city sims.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Roland posted:

Yeah I miss how older city games would come with starter towns.

What I really want though, is to be able to start with a tiny pre-made hamlet at a rural crossroads with a rail stop. Having to always start from a huge highway exit unless you’re extensively customizing an map and playing with infinite money sucks in these games.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

The developer that makes a city builder that begins each map by abstracting 2000 years of European city development to start me off with a dense urban core complete with historic buildings and nonsensical medieval streets will inherit all my money.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Entropic posted:

Yeah I miss how older city games would come with starter towns.

What I really want though, is to be able to start with a tiny pre-made hamlet at a rural crossroads with a rail stop. Having to always start from a huge highway exit unless you’re extensively customizing an map and playing with infinite money sucks in these games.

Same. I find cities look awful when the surrounding area is just empty generic green.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mrpwase posted:

The developer that makes a city builder that begins each map by abstracting 2000 years of European city development to start me off with a dense urban core complete with historic buildings and nonsensical medieval streets will inherit all my money.

my comrade do i have a workers and resources game for you (though i do with SR:WR had a bit more robust map generator)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah W&R has the option of starting with hamlets on the map. If I remember correctly, that’s the only way you can get churches on the map (but im not sure they’re “functional”).

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

my comrade do i have a workers and resources game for you (though i do with SR:WR had a bit more robust map generator)

It's worth noting that this also just added something like a scenario mode, and that the main official scenario is essentially post-WW2 redevelopment and integrating existing self-sufficient peasant villages (with a lot of hand-placed features--say, a couple clicks up the road from the recommended start are a few old fields and hedgerows showing where more once were) into utility grids and larger-scale logistics. Definitely worth a try if you're interested in either of those, with the caveats that the game itself isn't particularly interested in historic buildings except as stocks of population to connect up and that modders don't seem to have really touched the scenario tools yet.

Churches are functional, though possibly more properly put as "dysfunctional"; I believe it's a similar curve to alcohol, except trading loyalty rather than health for happiness.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 13, 2024

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

And holy poo poo, what would I give for a modern version of SimCopter that let you fly around doing little procedurally generated missions in your Skylines city.
They were planning to make you deliver emergency dental care, it all makes sense now

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m glad someone else said this because I feel like I’m already the “actually this game, the one I exclusively post about and have way too many hours in” but W&R hits so many good things. I hoped CS2 could deliver half as much with a much more forgiving and dynamic system for laying infrastructure and that but jury’s still out, I guess.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
How long until publishers just openly crowdsource their development?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Basscop posted:

How long until publishers just openly crowdsource their development?

paradox already tried, and while we got some good out of it (darkest hour, arsenal of democracy) it also lead to some really funny things (that cold war game, that one dude who tried to claim that he owned europa universalis)

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

paradox already tried, and while we got some good out of it (darkest hour, arsenal of democracy) it also lead to some really funny things (that cold war game, that one dude who tried to claim that he owned europa universalis)

quote:

Carlos Rodrigues [Gustavo, which you know as Ubik of Magna Mundi], the programmer that was forcibly committed during 71 days under the Mental Health Act, has decided to sue five of the doctors that were involved in several stages of his clinical process. The first criminal complaint was filed at the Oeiras Court on September 22nd. This is not the first time that compulsively committed people appeal to the courts against this kind of decision. The relatives, who ordered the commitment, defend that Carlos suffers from "delirious disturbances" and that doesn't want to treat himself.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mandoric posted:

It's worth noting that this also just added something like a scenario mode, and that the main official scenario is essentially post-WW2 redevelopment and integrating existing self-sufficient peasant villages (with a lot of hand-placed features--say, a couple clicks up the road from the recommended start are a few old fields and hedgerows showing where more once were) into utility grids and larger-scale logistics. Definitely worth a try if you're interested in either of those, with the caveats that the game itself isn't particularly interested in historic buildings except as stocks of population to connect up and that modders don't seem to have really touched the scenario tools yet.

Churches are functional, though possibly more properly put as "dysfunctional"; I believe it's a similar curve to alcohol, except trading loyalty rather than health for happiness.

have they fixed the issue where villages start "waking up" and degrading when you're nowhere close to being able to service the population? I tried playing these inhabited maps before and the villages had mass exoduses because I couldn't give them food or healthcare from the other side of the map

also simcity 2013 was pretty good for the first 2 hours of gameplay :mmmhmm: guess how long the public beta was?

I did like chris tilton's music. all the simcity soundtracks were excellent

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hah, yeah I remember even at the time of the great debacle, people were like "Music's good though"

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

corona familiar posted:

have they fixed the issue where villages start "waking up" and degrading when you're nowhere close to being able to service the population? I tried playing these inhabited maps before and the villages had mass exoduses because I couldn't give them food or healthcare from the other side of the map

it's much more chill now, awakening happens when they can walk to a jobsite. still gets extremely fiddly with cosmonaut but the main scenario isn't.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Only one more day until the first Word of the Weeeeek of the year. What tantalizing info will it bring us? More bug fixes? Performance improvements? A release date for mods and asset editors? No good news and more crushing disappointment? Only time will tell!

Speaking of scenarios though, those would be cool, and I think that's a big thing SimCities did better that Cities: Skylines is really lacking in, that kind of soft non-simulation gameplay flavour. Stuff to set the mood of the game and bring you a human connection to your city. Starter cities that you have to build around would be real cool, I'm not sure I trust CO to make good ones though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

piratepilates posted:

Only one more day until the first Word of the Weeeeek of the year. What tantalizing info will it bring us? More bug fixes? Performance improvements? A release date for mods and asset editors? No good news and more crushing disappointment? Only time will tell!

Speaking of scenarios though, those would be cool, and I think that's a big thing SimCities did better that Cities: Skylines is really lacking in, that kind of soft non-simulation gameplay flavour. Stuff to set the mood of the game and bring you a human connection to your city. Starter cities that you have to build around would be real cool, I'm not sure I trust CO to make good ones though.

This seems like a really easy thing for the community to provide. Lots of people make amazing cities-- simply sharing the save file would let others pick up where they left off.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Actually, come to think of it I seem to recall that that was because sc2k4win is incompatible with 64-bit operating systems in some way, so it's easier to just wrap the DOS version in DOSBox. (I think you can get sc2k4win working but you need third party hacks)
The YT Algo didn't suck for once. It's been trying to get me to watch this video for a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klb447IrWqs

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The installer doesn't work on 64bit systems, but the game itself does. You can get around this by using a generic 32bit installshield installer. You'll also need a patched exe because otherwise it doesn't play nice with saving/loading cities. I dived into this a few years ago and posted about it in the SC thread in Retro Games:

dolphinbomb posted:

So I just spent the last hour searching for how to actually get this running on Windows 10 64 bit, and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0tuoMlTMts

Basically,

1. Download the game ISO above from archive.org
2. Use WinRAR or some other archive program to extract the contents of said ISO.
3. Grab a generic 32bit installshield installer at https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/111-installshield-3-32-bit-generic-installer/
4. Drag that into the WIN95 directory, and run it. The game should install without a hitch.
5. Grab a patched exe to fix errors with saving and loading cities in Win7 or higher at https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/14-simcity-2000-compatibility-patch/
6. Replace SIMCITY.exe with the patched one above and run the game.
7. Enjoy your nostalgia!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

piratepilates posted:

Only one more day until the first Word of the Weeeeek of the year. What tantalizing info will it bring us? More bug fixes? Performance improvements? A release date for mods and asset editors? No good news and more crushing disappointment?

Erm yeah, about that.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-8.1621364/

I'm serving my month long ban until tomorrow at 01h12 oh poo poo, maybe I'm part of the toxicity problem?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Erm yeah, about that.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-8.1621364/

I'm serving my month long ban until tomorrow at 01h12 oh poo poo, maybe I'm part of the toxicity problem?

Yeah the kind of thing I figured from them, another vague pile of nothing, mods still coming out eventually, who knows when, and a nice bow at the end of saying the community for the game sucks again.

I don't know what they expect really, the game kinda sucks as is, its clearly unfinished, they won't acknowledge or praise the community that actively exists for it (the third party mods community, people making maps with their unfinished editor, people planning on making assets, the people on the subreddit who are actually still playing the game, the video creators who are all desperately scrounging up some kind of content from this barebones game). We spent the last page in this thread talking about SimCity, and the management games thread's only posts about C:2 are "is it ready yet?" "no, wait a while".

If you don't want a toxic community, you have to give a reason for a positive one to still care. Been a month since the last patch and the only update they can give is no update.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

piratepilates posted:

Yeah the kind of thing I figured from them, another vague pile of nothing, mods still coming out eventually, who knows when, and a nice bow at the end of saying the community for the game sucks again.

I don't know what they expect really, the game kinda sucks as is, its clearly unfinished, they won't acknowledge or praise the community that actively exists for it (the third party mods community, people making maps with their unfinished editor, people planning on making assets, the people on the subreddit who are actually still playing the game, the video creators who are all desperately scrounging up some kind of content from this barebones game). We spent the last page in this thread talking about SimCity, and the management games thread's only posts about C:2 are "is it ready yet?" "no, wait a while".

If you don't want a toxic community, you have to give a reason for a positive one to still care. Been a month since the last patch and the only update they can give is no update.

This is kind of where I’m at, while I feel for the devs and the toxicity is awful, I don’t know what they expected? The game is clearly 3/4 finished and I don’t think any of us would recommend it as it is. If they really wanted to crack down on toxicity they could offer full refunds regardless of time played, I’d at least take that and feel better about the game overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

piratepilates posted:

I'm struggling to understand why Mariina's going so hard on this "blame the customer" strategy (there's honestly very little "toxicity" on the PDX forums, the mods are extremely thin-skinned and any sarcasm or criticism tends to get modded out pretty quickly), maybe she's just super-confident they'll regain their numbers once the asset editor etc. and then the console version arrives. I mean, it's a bold move after this poo poo show, she'll have earned her bonus if it pays off I guess.

I don't think I've ever been so pissed off at a games company (especially a bunch of Finns, I mean, I love the Finns, they're awesome, if a bit dour). Anyway, it is what it is - I've a ton of city builders to play, CO can go gently caress themselves frankly.