Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

It's not indiscriminate. They are targeting israeli associated ships with the intention of forcing israel to end its genocidal campaign. Russian and Chinese ships are being let through. They are, in fact, discriminate.

You are pretty hilariously wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Let's put the claim aside for a moment, but I'll be happy to address it later. I would like to know if you agree with me that the goal of the Houthi attacks on ships is in service of stopping the genocide of Palestine and that the Ansar Allah, as an organization, is working to try to help Palestine to the best of their ability.

They’re allies with Hamas, so of course they would try to help them to some degree. I don’t understand why you’re trying to get me with some “gotcha” or whatever diversion tactic you’re trying to do

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
But what about Houthi-on-Houthi crime?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Have there been any official statements from Hamas representatives regarding their relationship with the Houthi movement? Anything like "we're coordinating our efforts together for the same goal" or "we acknowledge and welcome their contributions in the fight against our common enemy" or "we see them and appreciate their sentiment, but it's drawing attention away from us and not actually helping our cause" or anything else?

I see that the Houthi are claiming to be in support of Hamas, so I would assume someone with Hamas would have said something to corroborate that, but I'm not on their mailing list or anything so I don't know.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Madkal posted:

This is just victim blaming and saying that Hamas cannot be hold accountable for anything it does because they are...what...incapable of not raping and killing?
Like I know you think Israel is responsible for every evil under the sun but maybe if someone kills someone else you don't look for an excuse to blame the murdered person. This kind of thinking is appalling when it is some pro-Israel person saying it is Hamas's fault and theirs alone for all the dead Palestinians but at least you can agree with them that only one side is responsible and the other side is just incapable of having a non murderous thought in their head.

You are misunderstanding what is meant when we say Israel is responsible.

It's not that Hamas are pure and good angelic beings of light, and so they can't be blamed for anything they do.

It's that the power balance between Israel and the Palestinians is so grossly tilted in the favor of Israel, that anything that happens is a consequence of Israeli choices.

Israel has chosen to turn Gaza into a concentration camp, and to keep the population there under their boot. Palestinians have had no choice in this. When Palestinians react predictably, by resisting and attacking their oppressors, it is wrong to treat Israel as "the victim". The only way to view Israel as the victim is if you choose to forget that Israel is the only one with the power to prevent this situation, by not oppressing the Palestinians.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

I don't see the hilarity.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

quote:

Ambrey assessed that the vessel was mistakenly targeted based on outdated publicly available information linking the vessel to the United Kingdom.

"This appeared to be five months old but was still listed as UK-affiliated on a public maritime database," the report said.

Mistakes happen in war zones, as the Israelis are well aware given their long and checkered history with mistaking hospitals, schools, journalists, children, and even their own hostages as valid targets.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

They’re allies with Hamas, so of course they would try to help them to some degree. I don’t understand why you’re trying to get me with some “gotcha” or whatever diversion tactic you’re trying to do

It's not a gotcha tactic, my response is necessarily different depending on what you think. Were you to tell me that they're not doing anything to help Palestine, they're categorically evil, they're lying, etc. It'd be rank hypocrisy and not worth responding to. While it's not your position, it is the position of a number of people in the thread and I hope I have pointed out how hypocritical it is and how that line of thinking should not be engaged with.

However, because that's not the case, yeah I think you've shown that the statements of the leadership don't align with the actual targets. I'll cop to that. However, I think it's pretty clear that from the historic actions of the Houthis (which is, to wit, heretofore no indiscriminate attacks or random piracy) that either a) they're correct in thinking that UAE is attacking vessels to blame it on the Houthis, or b) the Houthis are also attacking Saudi vessels too. B seems more reasonable to me, and both things can be true: they are trying to do what they can to help Palestine, but also fighting the same conflict they've been engaged in for a decade in the exact same way they've been doing it.

What they're not doing is engaging in random acts of opportunistic piracy, which unless someone can point something out otherwise the Houthis have no record of ever engaging in.

e: I should clarify, not Saudi/UAE vessels in terms of running the flag necessarily, but vessels bound for those ports, vessels of companies that traffic with them or are assumed to, etc -- just as they have been operating for the last decade.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 13, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

enahs posted:

I'm not accusing anybody in this thread of this, but I wonder if there are Israeli state actors whose job it is to go on internet forums and stir poo poo up/muddy the waters about the conflict. I know that the FBI made an account here years ago but I've never seen anything about other countries doing so. It would make sense to me for them to do, especially given the amount of effort they put in to doing it in other media. Maybe not SA in particular, but other sites like reddit and twitter etc. Is anyone aware of any evidence of this that's been discovered anywhere?

For the most part, they just hand out talking points. There's plenty of pro-Israel people who'll argue about things online for free.

E2M2 posted:

Yeah just look at /r/News. Israeli hasbara constanstly upvoted, anyone going aginst it downvoted. Séamus Malekafzali posted about the journalist that had his son killed in the airstrike got his account permabanned from the subreddit for even posting the link.

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1744051903040762091

I can't believe we're talking about some dude angry he got banned from a reddit. He pointedly doesn't mention what article he posted, what it said, what outlet it was sourced from, or how he presented it. But it sure doesn't seem like r/news is suppressing information about the death of Hamza al-Dahdouh, because this other dude was able to post an article about it without any issue:

Vernii posted:

Mistakes happen in war zones, as the Israelis are well aware given their long and checkered history with mistaking hospitals, schools, journalists, children, and even their own hostages as valid targets.

Attacking a "UK-affiliated" (whatever that means) ship would still contradict the claim that the Houthis are only targeting Israeli-affiliated ships.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the UK is affiliated with Israel. they are allies.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

The UK is now directly involved in bombing Yemen too.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Attacking a "UK-affiliated" (whatever that means) ship would still contradict the claim that the Houthis are only targeting Israeli-affiliated ships.

Also the ship was attacked on Friday, after the UK and US bombed targets in Yemen and thus kicking off a state of hostility between the two sides. The British are well aware that in wars and conflict, one generally goes after the shipping of hostile powers.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Main Paineframe posted:

They've expanded to UK and US since they attacked.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

YoursTruly posted:

Have there been any official statements from Hamas representatives regarding their relationship with the Houthi movement? Anything like "we're coordinating our efforts together for the same goal" or "we acknowledge and welcome their contributions in the fight against our common enemy" or "we see them and appreciate their sentiment, but it's drawing attention away from us and not actually helping our cause" or anything else?

I see that the Houthi are claiming to be in support of Hamas, so I would assume someone with Hamas would have said something to corroborate that, but I'm not on their mailing list or anything so I don't know.

I don’t know about the current situation, but I thought I had heard they were allies years ago. And before my last post, I glanced at the wiki and it lists Houthis as an ally there too. There’s a chance the wiki is wrong and I’m misremembering, of course :shrug:

For future reference, your reaction to someone challenging a claim of yours shouldn’t be to assume they agree with others who have also disagreed with you ITT. People have different opinions, don’t try to pretend otherwise :rolleyes:

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Do you really not know what the word "affiliated" means

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vernii posted:

Israeli never makes mistakes.

Because they knew exactly that those hospitals, schools, journalists, children, and even their own hostages weren't valid military targets and did it anyway because they've never been told not to in their entire existence as a rogue nuclear state full of ethnofascists.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

And "sowing doubt about the crimes of Israel" -are you loving listening to yourself? Did you not see all the wild speculation going on in this thread during the Al Ahli Hospital explosion? Because people here had no idea as to what exactly happened - and by who - , and were baying for blood after 500 people were claimed to have been killed by Israel? This happened worldwide, for weeks on end. And, after all their investigations were complete,

Jesus Christ you're so transparent. Bbbbbbut what about that one hospital explosion???

How about the decades of arrests, of kneecapping of peaceful protestors, of pathetic settlers stealing land and literally homes and then running pogroms. Of Israel telling Palestinians they are not allowed to collect rainwater as it belongs to Jews. Of them drilling deeper wells on the other side of the Gaza wall and then making it illegal to drill new wells in Gaza.

How about the insane checkpoints within the West bank to facilitate ethnic cleansing that journalists aren't allowed to photograph.

https://youtu.be/aEdGcej-6D0?feature=shared

Israel also had close to 10k Palestinian prisoners, most without charges, prior to Oct 7. They were and are essentially hostages.

This all SHOULD be your focus if you're impartial because Oct 7 is nothing compared to this. But instead, this started on Oct 7, because brown/ Muslim people don't count.

The groups in power in Israel would be considered extreme right in the US, where even the "left" party is very right on the world stage. And they crush any opposition violently - even other Israeli Jews.

Jesus Christ. Israel is probably not as bad as the US but that's because they're not as strong. If they were, they'd be a lot worse.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 13, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

They've expanded to UK and US since they attacked.

The Houthis have been attacking US ships for months - that's not something that started just this week. If anything, the US and UK are the ones responding to Houthi attacks.

Eminent DNS posted:

Do you really not know what the word "affiliated" means

It's kind of a weird term to use when referring to ships. If he meant UK-owned ships, he would have said UK-owned. If he meant vessels licensed by the UK and sailing under the protection of British flag and law, he would have said UK-flagged. But UK-affiliated? That doesn't really have a clear definition, and seems to be infinitely stretchable given that a UK-flagged ship hauling Russian oil can apparently be considered "Israeli-affiliated".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Israeli never makes mistakes.

Because they knew exactly that those hospitals, schools, journalists, children, and even their own hostages weren't valid military targets and did it anyway because they've never been told not to in their entire existence as a rogue nuclear state full of ethnofascists.

This.

Everything they do, is excused that they have to for self protection.

But the people living under their ethnic cleansing should be good little brown people and die quietly / leave if we can convince someone to take them.

Your unarmed kid got shot? Sorry but he might have had a gun. We have to protect ourselves.

If you're willing to excuse what Israel has done in response to Oct 7, Oct 7 was mild in comparison to the aggressions from Israel for the better part of a century.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 13, 2024

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was trying to come up with a way to phrase this quote when I saw it in an article earlier and they just tweet it out like actual cartoon villains.
https://twitter.com/israelipm/status/1746277892491727341

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Demiurge4 posted:

I was trying to come up with a way to phrase this quote when I saw it in an article earlier and they just tweet it out like actual cartoon villains.
https://twitter.com/israelipm/status/1746277892491727341

The fact that they are this openly terrified gives me a small shred of hope that the ICJ will rule against them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the same kinds of people who think Oct 7th excuses Israels wholesale slaughter of Palestinians are the same ones who immediately fall for Israels obvious lies and propaganda and still tout lines that have not only been denied but literally proven not to be true even remotely

the kind of people who trot out the 40 beheaded babies line, or the they baked a baby line (Israel did this one in 48, actually) or the hamas burned houses of people down (Israel blew them up with tanks, actually)

they don't care about facts or people, they care about defending Israel to the hilt and that's it. nothing else matters to them.

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 14, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

the same kinds of people who think Oct 7th excuses Israels wholesale slaughter of Palestinians are the same ones who immediately fall for Israels obvious lies and propaganda and still tout lines that have not only been denied but literally proven not to be true even remotely

the kind of people who trot out the 40 beheaded babies line, or the they baked a baby line (Israel did this one in 48, actually) or the hamas burned houses of people down (Israel blew them up with tanks, actually)

they don't care about facts or people, they care about defending Israel to the hilt and that's it. nothing else matters to them.

You should really fact check what you're claiming are lies when you're complaining about Israel's lies. Hamas burning down houses on Oct 7th is absolutely true, Israel never claimed there were beheaded babies (stemmed from irresponsible reporting about an IDF Colonel stating a baby's head was cut), etc.

To be clear, Israel absolutely lies all the time. But, being D&D, you should not repeat blatant lies as well. Make fun of Israel for poo poo like claiming a Hamas terror base exists with only a few weapons or something like that.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 14, 2024

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

You should really fact check what you're claiming are lies when you're complaining about Israel's lies. Hamas burning down houses on Oct 7th is absolutely true, Israel never claimed there were beheaded babies (stemmed from irresponsible reporting about an IDF Colonel stating a baby's head was cut), etc.

To be clear, Israel absolutely lies all the time. But, being D&D, you should not repeat blatant lies as well. Make fun of Israel for poo poo like claiming a Hamas terror base exists with only a few weapons or something like that.

Physician, heal thyself. ZAKA, a representative/member of whom was quoted in the first link, is about as far from a reputable source as you can get. They're a far-right organization with an extremely sordid history, as well as being a blatant propaganda vehicle of the worst sort. They're also who the majority of allegations about Hamas rapes are coming from. If ZAKA says something, your best bet is to believe the opposite.

Anyway, the "40 beheaded babies" was absolutely something spread by zionists (including a pretty famous one), and it took a very long time -- weeks I think -- before any israeli official started telling people to walk it back. It was useful propaganda for them, for a while.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

Nobody will stop us – not The Hague,

definitely poo poo that totally normal, not-supervillain people proclaim to the world. perfectly cool, regular sentence NOT from a bond film badguy showcasing his neck veins. just having a super normal one over thar

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Physician, heal thyself. ZAKA, a representative/member of whom was quoted in the first link, is about as far from a reputable source as you can get. They're a far-right organization with an extremely sordid history, as well as being a blatant propaganda vehicle of the worst sort. They're also who the majority of allegations about Hamas rapes are coming from. If ZAKA says something, your best bet is to believe the opposite.

Anyway, the "40 beheaded babies" was absolutely something spread by zionists (including a pretty famous one), and it took a very long time -- weeks I think -- before any israeli official started telling people to walk it back. It was useful propaganda for them, for a while.

So you're saying that Al-Jazeera shouldn't be trusted because they can't figure out what's reputable and what isn't? Also, there's lots of reputable stories about it, with lots of survivor interviews. I was just using that as a quick example. Another such example is the in depth NYT story here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/12/22/world/europe/beeri-massacre.html.

I wasn't talking about zionists spreading lies, I was talking about the Israeli government. And it was clear that's what BARONS CYBER SKULL meant as well.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 14, 2024

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

So you're saying that Al-Jazeera shouldn't be trusted because they can't figure out what's reputable and what isn't? Also, there's lots of reputable stories about it, with lots of survivor interviews. I was just using that as a quick example. Another such example is the in depth NYT story here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/12/22/world/europe/beeri-massacre.html.

I wasn't talking about zionists spreading lies, I was talking about the Israeli government. And it was clear that's what BARONS CYBER SKULL meant as well.

Al-Jazeera is largely better on everything related to israel and the wider middle east than any major western news organization, without a doubt, but like anyone else the content of these types of articles is only ever as good as the sources that supply it. ZAKA is not a reputable source. If their source was a representative from the KKK or Patriot Front you'd be right to question the veracity of what they're saying, same with ZAKA.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not making an argument. I genuinely do not know whether the Houthis have killed or injured anyone with their actions, and y'all seem to be following it pretty closely. It appears the answer is that they have not.

Oh okay that's fair. To my knowledge they have not killed or injured anyone in the current blockade yeah. While I lean toward that being luck and don't really see how non-drone missiles could do much without being luck, I'm now (thanks Stringent) honestly curious about their drone doctrine.

If AA and their variably-shitbox drones can avoid civilian injuries when attacking civilian vessels, that's a big ol data point that modern militaries absolutely can avoid civilian injuries from drone strikes if they feel like it. which has been my position for a while but it'd be an example to wave around excitably while complaining

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Oh okay that's fair. To my knowledge they have not killed or injured anyone in the current blockade yeah. While I lean toward that being luck and don't really see how non-drone missiles could do much without being luck, I'm now (thanks Stringent) honestly curious about their drone doctrine.

If AA and their variably-shitbox drones can avoid civilian injuries when attacking civilian vessels, that's a big ol data point that modern militaries absolutely can avoid civilian injuries from drone strikes if they feel like it. which has been my position for a while but it'd be an example to wave around excitably while complaining

It's mostly just luck and the fact that they're hitting giant ships without many people on board. It's why it is feasible for them to just rock up and hijack the ship, since 20 unarmed people are pretty easy for a couple dozen armed people to take hostage.

Their weapons also aren't very effective, outside of the helicopters they were threatening people with for a bit. It is just that it doesn't take much to get a big civilian ship to slow down and be boarded. Or to be damaged.

EDIT: What I'm saying is, it is less due to them being careful and more that they just have lovely weapons that aren't ideal for doing much to ships, which is why a lot it is "They fired a missile. The ship barely noticed half the time."

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 14, 2024

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Came across an interesting article from The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...out-gaza-deaths

Here are some of the highlights,

quote:

The evidence compiled by police who handcuffed him, then drove to his apartment and ransacked it as he watched, was a series of Facebook posts he’d made, mourning the civilians killed in Gaza, criticising the Israeli military, and warning against wars of revenge.

“Horrific images are pouring in from Gaza. Entire families were wiped out. I don’t usually upload pictures like this, but look what we do in revenge,” said a message on 8 October, below a picture of the family of Abu Daqqa, killed in one of the first airstrikes on Gaza. “Anyone who thinks this is justified because of what happened yesterday, should unfriend themselves. I ask everyone else to do everything possible to stop this madness. Stop it now. Not later, Now!!!”

quote:

Ten days after that Facebook message, he was fired from his teaching job in Petach Tikvah municipality. Less than a month later he was in a high-security jail, detained to give police more time to investigate critical views he had never tried to hide.
Inside Israel, veteran journalists, intellectuals and rights activists say, there is little public space for dissent about the war in Gaza, even three months into an offensive that has killed 23,000 Palestinians and has no end in sight. “Make no mistake: Baruchin was used as a political tool to send a political message. The motive for his arrest was deterrence – silencing any criticism or any hint of protest against Israeli policy,” the long-established Haaretz newspaper said in an editorial.

quote:

Baruchin believes he is the only Jewish Israeli to have been detained for denouncing civilian deaths in Gaza, but this would not be unusual if he was a Palestinian citizen of Israel.
Hundreds have been arrested and jailed, or lost jobs or access to education because of social media posts. The judge who put Baruchin in prison drew an explicit comparison. “Had an Arab resident made the post, the danger would have been clear. I do not believe that there is room for differentiating between an Arab post and a Jewish post.”

TL:DR, Israel trumped up intent to commit treason charges against a history/civics teacher for making Facebook posts sympathetic to the plight of Palestinians.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Glad people are picking up on this because israel is at an authoritarian crossroads, like 2 likud majorities away from a transfer to police state nationalism that reorganizes elections to one-state poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

It's not really comparable. When you're firing at the the open ocean, you have to be very accurate or very lucky to kill anyone. When you're firing at a densely-populated urban area, you have to be very accurate or very lucky to not kill someone. If your aim's a couple hundred meters off in a major city, you're probably going to hit another building or drop a missile into the middle of the street. If your aim's a couple hundred meters off in the ocean, you're probably going to blow up a cargo container or drop a missile into the water.

To put this into perspective, the aircraft carrier that came to Maersk Hangzhou's rescue was about the same length as Maersk Hangzhou, but a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier holds about 5000 crew, while a typical container ship holds 20-30 crew. Also, while the Houthis shot at least three missiles at the Maersk Hangzhou, two were shot down by US warships. The remaining missile, the one that hit, apparently didn't hit anything important: not only was no one killed, but the ship was able to continue at full speed under its own power, helping it to hold off the followup force of Houthi raiders until American reinforcements arrived to drive them off.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
can't get over "if an Arab had made this post, the danger would have been clear"

If that's where Israeli censorship is calibrated, then yes, it's not just a democracy with bad gestalt opinions that lets shitbags run the show, it's on the brink of not being a democracy. Not that demographics are looking especially up for the Israeli left but we probably would prefer it if they were able to speak in public without being arrested.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Google Jeb Bush posted:

can't get over "if an Arab had made this post, the danger would have been clear"

If that's where Israeli censorship is calibrated, then yes, it's not just a democracy with bad gestalt opinions that lets shitbags run the show, it's on the brink of not being a democracy. Not that demographics are looking especially up for the Israeli left but we probably would prefer it if they were able to speak in public without being arrested.

Yeah, that was the line that got me as well.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Kalit posted:

Lets' have a look at some official Israeli statements about babies. Bear in mind that from all the talk of the social security data and official named lists the most I've seen claimed in terms of dead infants is two. 20 children killed under the age of 15 in total. You could compare this to the unimaginable volume of children murdered since but for the purposes of what you're saying, let's look at how Israeli officialdom treats those two infants.

https://x.com/IsraeliPM/status/1715835575926673858?s=20

'beheaded, burned innocent people, babies, grandmothers' - Netanyahu

https://x.com/IsraeliPM/status/1746277901295612020?s=20

'Those who decapitate and burn babies?' - PM's official Twitter account. Four hours ago.

https://x.com/IsraeliPM/status/1738968588424278076?s=20

'Monsters... who burned babies alive' - PM's official Twitter account.

https://x.com/IsraeliPM/status/1715844117387677889?s=20

'Babies who were hiding in the attic... they killed them.' - PM's official Twitter account.

https://x.com/IsraeliPM/status/1716816782336622647?s=20

'Hamas burned babies alive' - PM's official Twitter account.

https://x.com/IsraeliPM/status/1712912021186859241?s=20

'Shooting babies' - PM's official Twitter account.

https://x.com/IsraeliPM/status/1716816782336622647?s=20

'Hamas burned babies alive' - PM's official Twitter account.

https://x.com/EylonALevy/status/1711725099299053922?s=20

'Hamas beheaded babies' - Eylon Levy, an official spokesman who has been making the rounds in the UK over the last few days doing cover for Israel at the ICJ.

https://x.com/EylonALevy/status/1717496356007280778?s=20

'IDF Colonel... personally carried the body of a beheaded baby' - Eylon Levy

https://twitter.com/EylonALevy/status/1717517532465074486

'Eyewitness account of EIGHT burned babies and one BEHEADED baby in Hamas’s October 7 Massacre.' - Eylon Levy citing the Mail Online. Remember, when an official state spokesman is repeating news claims of this kind, it's endorsed by the state.

https://x.com/EylonALevy/status/1716694505653448874?s=20

'Hamas terrorists ripped a fetus out of its mother’s belly and then beheaded it.' - Eylon Levy

https://x.com/EylonALevy/status/1713138344014549112?s=20

'Hamas targeted our children... it beheaded and butchered babies.' - Eylon Levy

https://x.com/EylonALevy/status/1712112870073254200?s=20

'Let’s put this to rest.

Hamas beheaded Jewish babies.

This is not a hoax.
It is an atrocity.
It is why Israel will destroy Hamas.' - Eylon Levy.

This is just a couple of minutes' searching over two accounts. I could go on. There's a vast trove of these claims from official government sources. Not some hasbarist gobshites. The state itself. You might well suggest 'well, a lot of this is in October, maybe they did claim it but have moved on.' I've cited stuff from that quick set of searches that includes stuff as recent as four hours ago.

Now, if you're getting something this basic, this easily discoverable, so absolutely wrong, which of your other opinions do you think might rest on foundations of sand?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
In the other direction, such bizarre yellow accusations would be rightly called “blood libel.”

The suspension of critical thinking that some people ITT have is astounding. Motivated reasoning can do incredible things.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Lets' have a look at some official Israeli statements about babies. Bear in mind that from all the talk of the social security data and official named lists the most I've seen claimed in terms of dead infants is two. 20 children killed under the age of 15 in total. You could compare this to the unimaginable volume of children murdered since but for the purposes of what you're saying, let's look at how Israeli officialdom treats those two infants.

cat botherer posted:

In the other direction, such bizarre yellow accusations would be rightly called “blood libel.”

The suspension of critical thinking that some people ITT have is astounding. Motivated reasoning can do incredible things.

Just to be clear, there were beheaded babies discovered as a result of the Hamas atrocity. I don't see a number listed, but the word "many" is used:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ck/71394076007/

"" posted:

A group of 200 forensic pathologists, anthropologists, radiologists and other experts from Israel, the U.S, Switzerland, New Zealand and elsewhere gathered at the National Center for Forensic Medicine in Tel Aviv to help identify remains from the Israsel-Hamas war.

They reported on Oct. 16 that victims of the Hamas attack were executed, bound and burned alive, and others were found decapitated – many of whom were babies. However, they said it was difficult to ascertain whether they were decapitated before or after death.

https://jewishjournal.com/israel/364178/evidence-on-display-at-israels-forensic-pathology-center-confirms-hamas-atrocities/

"" posted:

Kugel also explained that the age range of the victims spans from 3 months to 80 or 90 years old. Many bodies, including those of babies, are without heads.

Asked if they were decapitated, Kugel answered yes. Although he admits that, given the circumstances, it’s difficult to ascertain whether they were decapitated before or after death, as well as how they were beheaded, “whether cut off by knife or blown off by RPG,” he explained.

We just don't know whether they were decapitated by blade, rocket, or by other means. I don't think that the means of decapitation were ever reported by any Israeli official so the narrative that they've been lying about decapitated babies is wrong.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
you also care deeply about the babies left in incubators to rot after Israel forced people from a hospital.

right?

or the 9000 children killed by Israel in three months, right?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

small butter posted:

Just to be clear, there were beheaded babies discovered as a result of the Hamas atrocity. I don't see a number listed, but the word "many" is used:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ck/71394076007/

https://jewishjournal.com/israel/364178/evidence-on-display-at-israels-forensic-pathology-center-confirms-hamas-atrocities/

We just don't know whether they were decapitated by blade, rocket, or by other means. I don't think that the means of decapitation were ever reported by any Israeli official so the narrative that they've been lying about decapitated babies is wrong.

How have they ruled out Israeli munitions being responsible for these incidents if there is no knowledge on how or even when they were decapitated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

you also care deeply about the babies left in incubators to rot after Israel forced people from a hospital.

right?

or the 9000 children killed by Israel in three months, right?

Completely different conversation - this is in response to the claim that Israeli officials were lying about decapitated babies. Not sure I understand the point of your post.

Mischievous Mink posted:

How have they ruled out Israeli munitions being responsible for these incidents if there is no knowledge on how or even when they were decapitated?

Because these are the bodies that were recovered in houses, etc. after the Hamas attack, not in some kind of shootouts with the IDF. Hamas was not hiding in the bombed shelters or houses that were set ablaze.

I'm actually pretty startled at some posters being in disbelief about Hamas crimes. Like, what the gently caress do you all think happened? Don't read some of the eyewitness accounts if you can't stomach it, but Lloyd Austin and other officials calling it "barbaric" and "worse than ISIS" is not an exaggeration in terms of the brutality of the crimes.

As much as people say that Biden is guilty of genocide, it's pretty clear that there was nothing short of military intervention that Biden could have done to prevent a brutal invasion of Gaza. Knowing some of these details, there is no way that Israel would have done anything short of this. Yeah, yeah, stop selling them then weapons, but they have enough weapons to do this invasion twice over.