Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My wife is a professor of education, and constantly meets prospective students who think you need a doctorate on education, when what they really need is a master's in their field, a doctorate in their field, a certification in a specific professional subject, or sometimes nothing at all. Accordingly, I wonder if this woman has made a fully informed choice. But that doesn't seem to be the OPs concern, and professors of education need to eat, so let the nice lady get that PhD.

I work in tertiary education on a trades and engineering focused campus, in my case to be accepted for my role I needed:
My trade qual, a 4 year apprenticeship.
Advanced trade, which requires a minimum of 2 years working at trade level followed by additional exams, then a written application to our governing organisation who go over your work history to see if you have sufficient breadth of experience.
Batchelor of adult education
Diploma in adult literacy and numeracy (vocational applications)

That got me in the door for a one year trial to see if I could handle teaching. We regularly lose about 60% of our staff after one year because teaching 20 odd students is significantly harder and more stressful than the trade.

Anyone in stem who talks down about "soft science" is talking out their rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA? SIL Not Coming to Wedding

Jesus Christ.

What gets me is that op is an event planner.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

What a lame rear end dream. It's like dreaming of having a son and naming him John

Did I ever tell you about Mrs. McBerry?
She had twenty three sons, and she named them all Mary

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Space Kablooey posted:

Jesus Christ.

Typical that you'd expect her to work for free :rolleyes:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

filling my sack with so much colloidal silver libertarians wear it as a protection amulet against age of consent laws

holy poo poo lol

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Coca Koala posted:

Did I ever tell you about Mrs. McBerry?
She had twenty three sons, and she named them all Mary

The saddest thing about that story is that Marion is a man's name so she could have just gone with that at any time. Sure you run the risk that he'd end up the drug-addled mayor of the US capital but that's life.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Space Kablooey posted:

Jesus Christ.

i feel like her "event planning" experience is like scheduling birthdays or office parties or something; my partner has worked on actual, professional big rear end events and adult pants event planners don't take 3 months to figure their poo poo out

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Tarezax posted:

AITA for serving my son in laws food on a kids plate

I've heard from a guy who has issues with food like this (actual diagnosed OCD) but he has the good sense to know that it's his own problem
I cannot imagine making my parents or my in-laws fix me a plate of food when I'm over for dinner like I'm a small child.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Solenna posted:

I cannot imagine making my parents or my in-laws fix me a plate of food when I'm over for dinner like I'm a small child.

If i'm aiming for a specific flavor mixture or texture etc. I will prepare someone else's plate but a big family meal you're gonna plate your own poo poo.

There's a time and a place for intricate plating and just no. Do it for everyone or tell the picky eater to gently caress off and figure it out.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Tarezax posted:

AITA for serving my son in laws food on a kids plate

I've heard from a guy who has issues with food like this (actual diagnosed OCD) but he has the good sense to know that it's his own problem

It's the perfect solution to the problem too! Issues with food touching, here's a plate that makes it so the food can't possibly touch. Awesome! Problem solved! Except apparently not?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hughlander posted:

AITA for calling all of my cousins Mary?

Mmm the kind of pettiness this thread needs.

It's selfish to burden people with existence just because you want to call one of them a certain name. How many of those boys exist only because she kept trying for a girl?

Like, just adopt a pet and name it Mary.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

just an excerpt:

quote:

She kept yelling at me, so I activated my smoke alarm and hung up.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

i feel like her "event planning" experience is like scheduling birthdays or office parties or something; my partner has worked on actual, professional big rear end events and adult pants event planners don't take 3 months to figure their poo poo out
Good point.

I would also expect that if she was an actual professional event planner, she'd already know quite well that you usually have some people who'll miss the event. It's hard to imagine someone who's a professional wedding/event planner being so shocked shocked that people aren't going to cancel their cruise to attend.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Solenna posted:

I'd laugh them out the front door asking if they needed a diaper change and a nap too.

But even if you enjoy making a plate for everyone as part of your hosting, have the picky eater do his own anyway. It's not like it has to be all or nothing. I'm confused how that's not an option. If I had that kind of hang-up, I'd take responsibility for my own problem and request that I get to make my own plate.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

just an excerpt:

Strong Constanza energy.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Story was not enthralling but the title made me laugh:

quote:

AITA for borrowing my boss's wife's car until she died?

I am gonna borrow your car to death.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

I'm reading it as I'm not giving back your car until you die!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I'd laugh them out the front door asking if they needed a diaper change and a nap too.

But even if you enjoy making a plate for everyone as part of your hosting, have the picky eater do his own anyway. It's not like it has to be all or nothing. I'm confused how that's not an option. If I had that kind of hang-up, I'd take responsibility for my own problem and request that I get to make my own plate.
The worst part is even if the meal starts out with food not touching, if during the meal different food starts to touch other food then he refuses to eat.

Maybe just serve him stuff in tapas plates. This plate for potatoes, this plate for spinach, etc

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

wheatpuppy posted:

Is it still considered borrowing if the owner dies? Sounds like the op found One Weird Trick to get a new car for free.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Mortal Kombat fatalities are getting really oblique.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

A car driving onto the screen and honking its horn twice before driving off is exactly the weird kind of "fatality-but-not" thing that the OG mortal kombat games would do

I was going to look some of them up but apparently they made a new Mortal Kombat game called Mortal Kombat 1. What the gently caress?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Elissimpark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WENrMmjJnFE

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

A car driving onto the screen and honking its horn twice before driving off is exactly the weird kind of "fatality-but-not" thing that the OG mortal kombat games would do

I was going to look some of them up but apparently they made a new Mortal Kombat game called Mortal Kombat 1. What the gently caress?

Yep, and it's extremely good despite the confusing name.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

QuarkJets posted:

Companies have a long tradition of having no idea what brand confusion means, giving us loads of games and movies that need (year) appended to the title.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for what I said to my (deceased) wife's family?

quote:

Here's some backstory - I (35M) was married to my wife for 8 years, together with her for 9 1/2, and she passed away last year after a long battle with brain cancer.

She made the consciois decision to end her treatment and spend her last few months with me and to have a do not resuscitate order when it got to the end.

She also did not want to involve her family in her decision because she felt that they were not giving her or me any emotional support as her illness progressed, so I told her if asked, I would tell them I wanted her to live out her life since the drugs weren't actually doing anything. This way her parents could have peace with their daughters passing.

When her time came, they tried fighting me to keep her on life support, even threatening legal action against me, but I respected her wishes and it was hard, but I ended her life support.

The aftermath was them calling me things like "murderer," and other names I care not getting into.

I was out last night picking up a meal for myself, and I saw them, and they had that look, but my ex MIL approached me, and asked "how I can be out enjoying a meal," and I said "because I don't have to thinking of you and your poo poo family in my life."

My phone sort of blew up after and I know they're grieving in their way, was I an rear end in a top hat?
LOL. Could have phrased it a little more coherently, but still: LOL.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

It's the perfect solution to the problem too! Issues with food touching, here's a plate that makes it so the food can't possibly touch. Awesome! Problem solved! Except apparently not?

Maybe it had cartoon characters on it and Mickey Mouse was taunting him. I was thinking that one of those metal canteen trays like they had in the army would work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alternately he can grow the gently caress up about his food touching his other food. boo loving hoo the green beans touched the mashed potatoes and now you can't eat either one? get out of my house and go to loving mcdonalds. bye

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Companies have a long tradition of having no idea what brand confusion means, giving us loads of games and movies that need (year) appended to the title.

As a name, Mortal Kombat 1 is especially egregious

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Sagebrush posted:

alternately he can grow the gently caress up about his food touching his other food. boo loving hoo the green beans touched the mashed potatoes and now you can't eat either one? get out of my house and go to loving mcdonalds. bye

I have to side eye stuff like this honestly. I am accepting of a lot of things but I was a picky eater because nobody ever challenged me. I’d gag if someone gave me vegetables etc very pathetic. I then moved abroad when I was 19 and was constantly challenged to the point where I got over it. Not one single person in Southeast Asia let me get away with it and now there’s nothing I won’t eat. Just eat your food

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

QuarkJets posted:

Is it available on the third generation XBox, XBox One?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I have to side eye stuff like this honestly. I am accepting of a lot of things but I was a picky eater because nobody ever challenged me. I’d gag if someone gave me vegetables etc very pathetic. I then moved abroad when I was 19 and was constantly challenged to the point where I got over it. Not one single person in Southeast Asia let me get away with it and now there’s nothing I won’t eat. Just eat your food

There's also the matter of how big a deal you make of it. My FIL has both the "no food touching" and "has to eat the food in a specific order" (veggies, then starch, then meat) things. I never noticed having had dinner with his family several times until my husband mentioned it to me. Everyone plated their own food and he'd grab an extra bowl or small plate if there was danger of gravy migrating around or whatever. He didn't throw a tantrum and trash the food out like that jerk, just quietly worked with/around his own issue.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

wheatpuppy posted:

The saddest thing about that story is that Marion is a man's name so she could have just gone with that at any time. Sure you run the risk that he'd end up the drug-addled mayor of the US capital but that's life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tszk53PWge8

JacquelineDempsey posted:

There's also the matter of how big a deal you make of it. My FIL has both the "no food touching" and "has to eat the food in a specific order" (veggies, then starch, then meat) things. I never noticed having had dinner with his family several times until my husband mentioned it to me. Everyone plated their own food and he'd grab an extra bowl or small plate if there was danger of gravy migrating around or whatever. He didn't throw a tantrum and trash the food out like that jerk, just quietly worked with/around his own issue.

I can see not eating the bits that touch and mix, but there's no reason to discard the whole plate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's a phenomenon in psychology, that i can't remember the name of right now, where an artifact becomes permanently tainted by coming in contact with something foul even if the artifact is cleaned or isn't actually affected. like for instance the dog shits all over the floor and you use a towel to clean it up -- no matter how many times you wash it, that towel is the Dog Diarrhea Towel forever. or the bed that grandma died in is always Grandma's Deathbed, even with a new mattress and sheets and everything.

maybe this thing about food being permanently inedible because some other food touched it is indicative of a problem in that part of the brain

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dog took a poo poo on grandma, she's now Dogshit Grandma.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

QuarkJets posted:

It almost fits because at least there isn't already another game named "Mortal Kombat 1" and the in-canon plot is a that there was an actual system reboot with Liu Kang as the Fire God (instead of Raiden as the Thunder God) something something something, but it's gonna be silly if the next game is called Mortal Kombat 2

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 14, 2024

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Seems like she's doing it purely for her own interest, I'm not sure the specific choice of degree or certification even matters beyond what she wants to do in this case.

Yeah, mum had a career in "proper science", retired, and in retirement is teaching little kiddies about electricity. She is enjoying the teaching, and the getting out of the house etc. so is looking to get a degree in education to learn more about teaching the kids, and possibly teach more/higher levels.

She is doing everything right for herself, and her career, and mos importantlytly for her well being.

Her shithead son/OP is going "No! You should only get a degree if it leads directly to a high paying corporate job. Anything other than that is useless. Also education??? You should be getting a degree in molecular biology, (to go along with your other degrees), because that is proper science as opposed to the namby pamby working with people learning you intend to do. I, as your son, sternly disapprove."

He is the arsehole for several reasons

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

It almost fits because at least there isn't already another game named "Mortal Kombat 1" and the in-canon plot is a that there was an actual system reboot with Liu Kang as the Fire God (instead of Raiden as the Thunder God) something something something, but it's gonna be silly if the next game is called Mortal Kombat 2

Mortal Kombat 2 2

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the holy poopacy posted:

Mortal Kombat 2 2

Ok wait the original series only went to Mortal Kombat 11 so that they could call the next one Mortal Kombat 1 2 and it'd work.

Ed Boon has done it again!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Ok wait the original series only went to Mortal Kombat 11 so that they could call the next one Mortal Kombat 1 2 and it'd work.

Ed Boon has done it again!

Mortal Kombat II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mortal Combat EyeEye