Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Hadlock posted:

In my 20s as a single person where I had total control of my life I would read these reports about how something like 33% of all food is wasted. I was flabbergasted. Almost never would I have any good left over I'd only make what I needed.

I would say a full 50% of food made for our kid goes to waste these days. The back seat of our car is a graveyard of mummified breakfast bars and blueberries

Yeah lots of food waste here too.

Sometimes I plan ahead and give myself a half portion so I can play garbage disposal and eat the toddler’s discarded dinner. But sometimes he does gross stuff to it.

Or I eat a normal portion + toddler portion so I don’t waste it and now I’m fat.

To his credit the boy ate an entire catfish filet yesterday. Between the white rice and couple brussel sprouts he agreed to eat I think he put away more than I did. I did not think that would be his favorite food but kids are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hadlock posted:

I would say a full 50% of food made for our kid goes to waste these days. The back seat of our car is a graveyard of mummified breakfast bars and blueberries

"Daddy are these waffles old or new?"

Waffles? I don't have waffles in my OH GOD DO NOT EAT THAT. PUT IT DOWN PLEASE

Hey goons if you're ever hungry for a snack just grab your child's car seat, turn it upside down and shake it with your mouth open. Somehow several bowls of Cheerios will fall out. If you don't feed your kids Cheerios, they're going to fall out anyway. The only explanation is that car seats are the home to some planar rift to the cheerio dimension or something

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

drat my wife is out of town until Monday and the grandparents took both kids for the weekend. I have been looking forward to time off for a while but actually I hate it. It's too quiet and I just miss everybody. It turns out I actually thrive on the chaos, I need it. When they move out it's really going to suck.

Food chat: We discovered a random dish I threw together trying to get my daughter to eat vegetables and now she wants it every day for over a year with no sign of stopping. Frozen peas, carrots, corn, shelled edamame, and broccoli. Put it in a giant skillet with a liberal amount of olive oil, sprinkle some garlic salt and pepper, and cook on a high heat covered stirring occasionally. After about 5 minutes add a poo poo ton of butter. It's done when a lot of the pieces start getting nice and blackened. It's easy to make a giant batch and it reheats really well. It's got a lot of flavor and we've gotten several cousins and friends that don't like vegetables to try it and start requesting it from their parents. It's not the healthiest with all that butter but it's a net positive in drastically increasing vegetable consumption.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

D-Pad posted:

drat my wife is out of town until Monday and the grandparents took both kids for the weekend. I have been looking forward to time off for a while but actually I hate it. It's too quiet and I just miss everybody. It turns out I actually thrive on the chaos, I need it. When they move out it's really going to suck.

That’s just a form of PTSD. Like WWI veterans that couldn’t sleep without constant artillery shelling.

Food chat: rice with bachan sauce is about the only food that’s not been rejected so far. Our rice consumption is approaching that of an average Japanese family these days. We’re Euros.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shalhavet posted:

Happy new Bluey day. I'll just be crying over Cricket and Dragon, don't mind me.

I made the mistake of throwing on a random Bluey episode while in a most sleep deprived state holding a sleeping 1 month old and my toddler playing next to me.

The episode was Grandad.

The ending line of that episode knocked me out for 20 minutes.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

morothar posted:

That’s just a form of PTSD. Like WWI veterans that couldn’t sleep without constant artillery shelling.

Food chat: rice with bachan sauce is about the only food that’s not been rejected so far. Our rice consumption is approaching that of an average Japanese family these days. We’re Euros.

Make sure to check the country of origin of your rice and look up what the environmental situation is with farming over there. Not for global warming reasons but heavy metal reasons. There is some nasty things going on with rice agriculture.

From what I recall Indonesian rice is the least bad right now. You want to stay well away from Chinse or Indian. I think Brazilian was OK? Look around, I've just got Indonesian slotted in my head as the one to buy. You'll find a lot of stuff about arsenic, but it's also cadmium, chromium, cobalt, and lead that you need to be concerned with.

Those are all not great if you're an adult, but they're extra bad if you have a developing nervous system.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Make sure to check the country of origin of your rice and look up what the environmental situation is with farming over there. Not for global warming reasons but heavy metal reasons. There is some nasty things going on with rice agriculture.

From what I recall Indonesian rice is the least bad right now. You want to stay well away from Chinse or Indian. I think Brazilian was OK? Look around, I've just got Indonesian slotted in my head as the one to buy. You'll find a lot of stuff about arsenic, but it's also cadmium, chromium, cobalt, and lead that you need to be concerned with.

Those are all not great if you're an adult, but they're extra bad if you have a developing nervous system.

Thanks for the PSA; any thoughts on CA?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

I made the mistake of throwing on a random Bluey episode while in a most sleep deprived state holding a sleeping 1 month old and my toddler playing next to me.

The episode was Grandad.

The ending line of that episode knocked me out for 20 minutes.

Our toddler developed some sleep issues after her little sister arrived, so after some major meltdowns I was forced to stay in her room for like 2-3 hours each and every night until she decided to finally go to sleep. It also happened that at the same time she was obsessed with the book version of Fruit Bat. That episode has the B-Plot that Bandit can't ever play with his friends because he is too busy looking after the kids.

It's a hell of a thing when your toddler is holding you hostage, forcing you to read a book about how your children steal your leisure from you

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

morothar posted:

Thanks for the PSA; any thoughts on CA?

Iirc CA rice is also a safer choice

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looking for some advice on sleep training. Our son is almost 9 months old, and he basically has to be nursed to sleep. If he wakes in the night it’s very rare that I can get him back to sleep. He won’t take a bottle anymore, so that means my wife is solely responsible for putting him to sleep and getting him back to sleep throughout the night.

So anyway we started sleep training 5 days ago. We bought the “Taking Cara Baby” guide, which seems to be a take on the Ferber method. Lay baby in the crib awake, check back in 5 mins, then 10 mins, then every 15 minutes until he’s asleep. Staying no more than 20 seconds to soothe him on the check in’s (just rubbing his back, speaking to him softly, etc.)

So anyway it’s been rough. He will scream like he’s dying for 45 mins straight before falling asleep. My wife is an absolute mess of guilt and anxiety because of this. She feels she is abandoning him when he needs her most, and that she may be emotionally scarring him by doing so.

I realize it’s in everyone’s best interest to get him to be able to sleep on his own, but my wife wants to throw in the towel.

Does anyone have any advice? Anything I can tell her to comfort her? Any evidence this is not crippling our poor son’s wellbeing?

Help

Results so far:

1st night: 45 mins to fall asleep, slept through the night
2nd night: 45 mins to fall asleep, slept through the night
3rd night: 45 mins to fall asleep, slept through the night
4th night: 35 mins to fall asleep, slept through the night (felt like we finally had some progress here)
5th night (last night): 45 mins to fall asleep, woke up once 7 hours in, then back to sleep

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 13, 2024

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RCarr posted:

Looking for some advice on sleep training. Our son is almost 9 months old, and he basically has to be nursed to sleep. If he wakes in the night it’s very rare that I can get him back to sleep. He won’t take a bottle anymore, so that means my wife is solely responsible for putting him to sleep and getting him back to sleep throughout the night.

So anyway we started sleep training 5 days ago. We bought the “Taking Cara Baby” guide, which seems to be a take on the Ferber method. Lay baby in the crib awake, check back in 5 mins, then 10 mins, then every 15 minutes until he’s asleep. Staying no more than 20 seconds to soothe him on the check in’s (just rubbing his back, speaking to him softly, etc.)

So anyway it’s been rough. He will scream like he’s dying for 45 mins straight before falling asleep. My wife is an absolute mess of guilt and anxiety because of this. She feels she is abandoning him when he needs her most, and that she may be emotionally scarring him by doing so.

I realize it’s in everyone’s best interest to get him to be able to sleep on his own, but my wife wants to throw in the towel.

Does anyone have any advice? Anything I can tell her to comfort her? Any evidence this is not crippling our poor son’s wellbeing?

Help

Your child needs more uninterrupted sleep to grow and thrive and parents need more uninterrupted sleep to be the best parent possible for their child.

One of my friends had this issue and took it upon himself to sleep train his kid when wife was away on a work trip for a few days.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

RCarr posted:

Help

Results so far:

4th night: 35 mins to fall asleep, slept through the night (felt like we finally had some progress here)
5th night (last night): 45 mins to fall asleep, woke up once 7 hours in, then back to sleep

45 minutes is great for sleep training. I’ve spent hours and hours sleep training my kid before. Spent 4AM to 7AM on a mattress on the floor of his room anyway.

You guys are doing the right thing, he will be fine. They’ve done some studies on this and sleep training shows zero emotional effects.

I understand that it’s heart wrenching to hear him cry out for you for 45 minutes, but it will get better. We sleep trained at 6 months and enjoyed 2 great years of a kid who could put themselves to sleep with minimal fuss. And now he doesn’t anymore, so you got that to potentially look forward to.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

RCarr posted:

Help

We sleep trained at 3.5ish months (cio) and the first couple nights are rough. She was already night weaned at this point and we did it because she had regressed from 6-7 hour blocks a night to waking every 2 and couldn’t put herself back to sleep. Basically we just let her cry, it sucked. First night was 40ish minutes, second was 20ish (she learned to roll into her stomach at this point which was very anxiety inducing), third was 5ish. For a while she would just go to sleep. There was also a point where she started to feed to sleep for a couple months during naps and before sleep, but she figured it out. She still slept through the night at this point, just needed two feeds per wake window. I think she grew a bunch during this time, but we don’t have any actual information for that. Recently we had a minor regression when she went down to one nap and started walking a lot more about a ~month ago, it is getting better though. So backslides do happen, but she can put herself back to sleep well which is the important part.

Generally we give her 5-10 minutes at this point and she almost always goes to sleep in less than 5, if she has her head down she will fall asleep even if she is mad about being there. We have a routine before hand (we each have our own routine, both seem to work) where we read and sing for a bit before putting her down. Since we did sleep training I can only think of a handful of nights she didn’t sleep through. For comparison she has never slept a lot (according to charts online) and is currently doing 10-11 hours each night with 2-2.5 hours during the day in an afternoon nap. She wants to be up and in the action, seems fair. YMMV obviously, we only have our one sample point, but it worked for us.

For how we did the cio, my wife had to watch her I couldn’t listen to her cry. I put in noise canceling headphones and hid, maybe your wife can do something similar and be a coward like me. Try to remember it is just a few nights, it’s not the end of the world for them to cry. Sure felt like it was though :/

Anyway, bit of ramble, but I’m writing the post in between activity changes so eh. Happy to answer any questions, pms or here

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I’m sure if we were seeing progress like that it wouldn’t be a problem. But 5 nights of 45 mins (or so) of crying like he’s dying, it’s disheartening.

Unfortunately I work nights, so I can’t even help except for the 2 days a week im off.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You're doing great 45 minutes of screaming is horrible to go through but if they sleep uninterrupted after that you're on the right track. We did this exact same thing with my kid and she is a healthy happy three year old snuggling me right now with no emotional scarring.

Edit: also nthing noise cancelling headphones, helps take the edge off but trust me you can still hear them.

Edit 2: also failing your kid is defined as abandoning them on the side of the street not knowing exactly where they are and being able to help if anything goes wrong

Benagain fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 13, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

RCarr posted:

My wife is an absolute mess of guilt and anxiety because of this. She feels she is abandoning him when he needs her most, and that she may be emotionally scarring him by doing so.

Those feelings are about her, not the well-being of her baby. The right thing to do is whatever helps the baby get the sleep it needs to grow healthy and strong.

It’s harsh but it’s what I needed to hear with my own baby. No one ever tells you that “cry it out” refers to the parents, too. 😭

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Speaking of sleep training, does anyone have advice when the baby's room shares a wall with a toddler's? Or soundproofing recommendations?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks everyone I’ll pass the advice along. Wish us luck!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

RCarr posted:

Help

Results so far:

If it’s any comfort, in case you decide to give up: we never sleep trained our baby and she is sleeping very well. Currently 5 and falls asleep on her own most nights. Sometimes requires company in the room for ca 30 minutes which we don’t mind
I couldn’t stomach the idea of letting them cry and it’s also not considered normal in my country to do anything like Ferber, so for us it was an easy decision.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
This sounds messed up but I wish I could let our 11mo old cry for 45min straight. I'm always afraid he'll wake up our 3.5 year old and then I'll have to deal with both of em.

Two kids complicate everything.

Rufio fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 13, 2024

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Emily Spinach posted:

Speaking of sleep training, does anyone have advice when the baby's room shares a wall with a toddler's? Or soundproofing recommendations?

We've got this problem. Dohm white noise machines in both, but the main thing is we explained to the toddler (almost 3) that her little sister (almost 4 mo) was learning to sleep, and that the yelling was her learning how to, and to not worry about it. Helps that the toddler is a champion deep sleeper once she's down.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nothing sends a spike of irritation through you like that first footfall at the bottom of the steps after you told them not to follow you upstairs, you'd be right back...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hadlock posted:

In my 20s as a single person where I had total control of my life I would read these reports about how something like 33% of all food is wasted. I was flabbergasted. Almost never would I have any good left over I'd only make what I needed.

People give parents who exclusively feed kids quick prep processed stuff like nuggets a hard time but I can 100% see how it could happen just from a food waste standpoint.

Worst is when they eat just a part of something, absolutely contaminate the gently caress out of whatever they don't eat, and throw a fit if you suggest that they only take the part that they will eat.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Christ what a lovely day. First I tested positive for covid this morning, so I’ve been hiding in our bedroom hoping I didn’t get my husband and son sick; then, on his way back from saying hi to me, my son fell down the stairs and got a big goose egg on his forehead. Luckily he seems to be ok (and I did call the nurse hotline for reassurance) but this weekend is not going well.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Who the hell groomed my daughter to do the naruto run

In this house we do not acknowledge animes :colbert:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RCarr posted:

He will scream like he’s dying for 45 mins straight before falling asleep.
Totally fine. Good even. It's also better to establish good bedtime hygiene now while they can't escape.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Chillmatic posted:

Same thing happened to us. It turns out anime is some kind epigenetic memory like the mammalian diving reflex.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
It’s for real “bye bye binkies” night. Pray for us

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With respect to sleep training, I don’t think we really ever trained our son very much. He just kinda got it.

We went on a trip and with that and teething I think he might be going through a 12 month sleep regression. So I’ll try it out and see if I can get him back to sleeping better.

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down

Academician Nomad posted:

It’s for real “bye bye binkies” night. Pray for us

best of luck! we ended up cutting them out last month (14 months old) because she kept losing them at night and waking up shrieking. the first two naps i probably cried as much as she did. it was heartbreaking. the next day she was over it!

pasta chat: ive always been a carb avoidant person so its very funny to me that one of little freebus' first words was pasta. she goes through so much pasta. grateful to have a staple food she hasnt refused yet

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Mr. Freebus posted:

best of luck! we ended up cutting them out last month (14 months old) because she kept losing them at night and waking up shrieking. the first two naps i probably cried as much as she did. it was heartbreaking. the next day she was over it!

pasta chat: ive always been a carb avoidant person so its very funny to me that one of little freebus' first words was pasta. she goes through so much pasta. grateful to have a staple food she hasnt refused yet

Wise. We’re a little over 2 years and he’s only gotten more attached to them, and so far tonight super sucks

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter crafted a bird's nest with baby birds and worms for the mommy bird to feed the little birds and then she drew sad faces on the worms because they were sad they were going to be eaten and then she started crying because she felt so bad for the worms she drew

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Our daughter is an excellent sleeper and has been since she was just a couple of months old and I credit the Snoo Smart Sleeper Bassinet we had. Of all the dumb devices that get pushed on new parents it is the one thing I strongly recommend to anybody about to have a new baby. It has a built in swaddler, white noise speaker, and rocker. If the baby wakes up it starts a gentle rock and the longer they cry without going back to sleep the harder it rocks until a set time (5 minutes I think) and then it pings your phone to come get them because they aren't going back to sleep. She started sleeping through the night most nights by month 1 or 2 and would fall asleep almost as soon as we set her down. After we switched to a regular crib she continued having great sleep habits to this day (4 years old) where we can just walk in her room set her down and walk back out and she falls asleep super fast and anytime she wakes up she gets herself back to sleep quickly. They are expensive (like $1500) but you can actually rent them for like $120/month or something and it is completely worth it for the first few months. Compared to our son it was night and day and the initial sleepless phase was sooooo much better. He's 8 and still has regular bedtime meltdowns. I can't recommend that drat thing enough.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sleep training is best done with a bottle of red wine and a really loud war movie like the opening scene of saving Private Ryan

Also agree it's best done over a long weekend with the wife at her mom's house

D-Pad posted:

Our daughter is an excellent sleeper and has been since she was just a couple of months old and I credit the Snoo Smart Sleeper Bassinet we had. Of all the dumb devices that get pushed on new parents it is the one thing I strongly recommend to anybody about to have a new baby.

The Snoo is definitely worth the price, and you can resell it for 85% of the new price. The Snoo and the Kikaroo Peanut are my two must haves if we do baby #2

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 14, 2024

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter crafted a bird's nest with baby birds and worms for the mommy bird to feed the little birds and then she drew sad faces on the worms because they were sad they were going to be eaten and then she started crying because she felt so bad for the worms she drew

:3: :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Our daughter is an excellent sleeper and has been since she was just a couple of months old and I credit the Snoo Smart Sleeper Bassinet we had. Of all the dumb devices that get pushed on new parents it is the one thing I strongly recommend to anybody about to have a new baby. It has a built in swaddler, white noise speaker, and rocker. If the baby wakes up it starts a gentle rock and the longer they cry without going back to sleep the harder it rocks until a set time (5 minutes I think) and then it pings your phone to come get them because they aren't going back to sleep. She started sleeping through the night most nights by month 1 or 2 and would fall asleep almost as soon as we set her down. After we switched to a regular crib she continued having great sleep habits to this day (4 years old) where we can just walk in her room set her down and walk back out and she falls asleep super fast and anytime she wakes up she gets herself back to sleep quickly. They are expensive (like $1500) but you can actually rent them for like $120/month or something and it is completely worth it for the first few months. Compared to our son it was night and day and the initial sleepless phase was sooooo much better. He's 8 and still has regular bedtime meltdowns. I can't recommend that drat thing enough.

Snoo was great. Never was able to lay my son in there awake tho lol, no chance that was happening. Definitely did not help with anything to do with sleeping in a crib either. Think you just got lucky there. But absolutely worth it for the first 5 months or so.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think we only used the Snoo for the first 8-10 weeks before we transitioned to a crib sheet, but it was glorious

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Our baby never liked the Snoo. So that was disappointing.

Update on end of binkies: it’s 4am, he’s been up an hour, after being awake crying till 9:30pm. He doesn’t know how to get back to sleep without it I think. This sucks. For next baby, definitely biting the bullet much earlier.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chillmatic posted:

My dad said I would run like this as a young toddler. He called it the penguin run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is snoo something that needs to be started at birth? And does it need to be used for every nap as well? We’re strongly considering getting one for our 5 week old but they are already used to other ways of being put to bed. Car seat, carrier, swaying, etc.