Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it didn't seem particularly complicated to me or feel like any other book was required reading. The little paragraph does enough to set it up, bad guy did a thing, they're living in that world without knowing he's running things, that's probably going to become the focus over the course of the larger story but they'll tell you what you need to know as it builds to that, in the meantime this Spider-Man is going to be doing some Spider-Man poo poo.

ah poo poo I totally glazed over the little paragraph. OK, fair enough, that's on me.

I still say the last page is dumb though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Re: The last page That's not a silhouette. It's a black Spider-Man costume as seen on Cover B. Tony specifically says in his message that it's a stealth suit. I imagine Peter will modify it to look like the suit on Cover A.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Literally the first page is "A BUNCH OF PEOPLE DIED DUE TO AN ATTACK BY THE MAKER FRAMING TONY STARK". I can't even begin to figure how you get to "Kingpin did 9/11" without deliberately ignoring text.

But also acting dumb is Gripweed's thing, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised

E: Or accidentally ignoring it, I guess

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Re: The last page That's not a silhouette. It's a black Spider-Man costume as seen on Cover B. Tony specifically says in his message that it's a stealth suit. I imagine Peter will modify it to look like the suit on Cover A.

That suit sucks

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I agree with the whole "you don't HAVE TO read every single thing to get the gist of an individual series" but since there is some understandable confusion with what is going on in the new Ultimate Universe/Earth-6160 here is the opening text piece for Ultimate Spider-Man #1:

The first page of the comic posted:

Twenty years ago, THE MAKER prevented a radioactive spider from biting a young PETER PARKER. He likewise prevented the creation of any other super heroes and formed a secret council to rule the world from the shadows. When TONY STARK learned the dark history of his universe, he sought to undo it -- prompting the MAKER'S COUNCIL to attack Manhattan, killing thousands, and frame Stark for it. Peter Parker has lived his life unaware of the Maker's Council or the truth behind the spider, but that is about to change...
This is really all of the background you need for Ultimate Spider-Man #1, and the opening text piece and the story that follows makes it obvious that the reader/Peter are going to get filled in more about all of this as the series progresses, but to fill in the blanks for people uninterested in going back and reading Ultimate Invasion/Ultimate Universe:

The Maker has a Council of (mostly superpowered) beings who rule the planet divided into seven territories, secretly allied but publicly in conflict. Each territory takes its turn being the "adversary", at the start of the Ultimate Invasion "the adversary" is "The Eurasian Republic" which is ruled by the Rasputins. We learn all of this via Howard Stark, the POV character who learns all of his from the Maker after Obadiah Stane dies and Howard is invited to take his spot (controlling North America) in the council.

The whole scheme does not sit well with Howard who conspires to take down the Maker, stuff happens, Howard dies, the Maker is seriously wounded and sticks the City in an accelerated time bubble set to open up in two years of "real world" time in 6160. The remaining six Powers (minus The Maker and anyone in charge of North America) find out that Howard's son Tony is going around trying to save/restore various heroes (Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man) based on the Maker's files, and decide that they need to stop him/smear the Stark family name by firing a giant laser into NYC, both to blow up Tony's secret base and hopefully kill him and his nascent band of heroes, but also using a Stane/Stark satellite to do it. Then they "redistribute" the power in North America, to as-yet-undisclosed persons.

So the actual people who perpetrated the attack on NYC are known to us (the existing council members) but it is not known who was given the vacant seat left by the Stane/Stark lineage. It's reasonable to infer that Fisk may have been given the seat, or at least is working on behalf of the Council to keep their narrative alive. But it's meant to be a mystery at this time.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I jumped into the X-Men in the early 80s as a kid. That is true power.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Lucifunk posted:

Now I'm picturing someone's first xmen issue being right before or after the siege perilous and trying to figure out wtf is going on.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

If you watch Pryde of the X-Men and then see Wolverine in Australia it all makes sense.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Now I'm picturing someone's first xmen issue being right before or after the siege perilous and trying to figure out wtf is going on.

When I was a kid I know that I read a lot of classic X-Men so it was older stuff. I'm pretty sure the first Uncanny X-Men title I picked up to start following as each new issue came out was 269. Lemme tell you I didn't really know what was going on but as a young 10 year old boy I was immediately a fan of Rogue.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

When I first started reading, my cousin loaned me a stack of about 20 Uncanny X-Men comics. They were from around 180-250 of the origiginal Uncanny run. It was a Twin Peaks like enigma, trying to figure out why the X-Men died in Dallas, and what the Siege Perilous even was. It was quite a trip.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My first X-Men comic was at like the start of the Muir Island saga (i caught up with some X-Men reprints later). I thought that one character was shapeshifting throughout an entire conversation due to their identical uniforms, and Forge was an intermediate state between Psylocke and Wolverine.

In my defense, I was 8.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

To be more specific, all the info and art so far points to Peter having been given an inorganic high-tech suit that will function like the symbiote does. It's from Stark, and he says it's a picotech suit, which brings to mind the nanotech armour that 616 Stark has had in the past that was housed in his skeleton. And it cannot be unintentional that the suit was shown as a black orb inside the container Peter gets, a reference to the symbiote being held as a black orb in the machine 616 Peter got it from originally.

So instead of wearing a separate, fabric, home-made costume, he has a suit that is actually a part of him and allows him to change into Spider-Man at will and have camouflage/disguise abilities, including changing the design to the familiar red & blue.

Leaves me to wonder how they're going to do the webs/webshooters.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
double post

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

When I was a kid I know that I read a lot of classic X-Men so it was older stuff. I'm pretty sure the first Uncanny X-Men title I picked up to start following as each new issue came out was 269. Lemme tell you I didn't really know what was going on but as a young 10 year old boy I was immediately a fan of Rogue.

Right? My first Amazing Spider-Man issue was the middle of the Hobgoblin Saga which in hindsight was the deep end of the storytelling pool.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lucifunk posted:

There is a ton of weird-rear end continuity but that's also kind of the default state of X-Men as a whole and I think responsible for a good part of its popularity. I've always found it interesting that of the two biggest adaptations, the Fox movies and the animated series, neither of them do what basically every other superhero adaptation do and tell an origin story. They both go "the X-Men are a thing that exist, now let's meet 17 of them." There's something immediately attractive about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nessus posted:

My first X-Men comic was at like the start of the Muir Island saga (i caught up with some X-Men reprints later). I thought that one character was shapeshifting throughout an entire conversation due to their identical uniforms, and Forge was an intermediate state between Psylocke and Wolverine.

In my defense, I was 8.

Hah this is definitely one of the earlier books I got. Probably not my first, but early on. I got it because I wanted to know why Colossus turned gold. He didn't. He was just reflecting fire.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah one thing I've noticed with the new ultimate universe is the tech. I think it's supposed to be a bit more futuristic given the makers involvement in things, but it also seems like an aspect writers and artists only occasionally remember.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Hah this is definitely one of the earlier books I got. Probably not my first, but early on. I got it because I wanted to know why Colossus turned gold. He didn't. He was just reflecting fire.

Why was Colossus chrome in the first place? To set him apart from Iron Man? That colour he has on the cover makes him look more like what I picture the Colossus of Rhodes to have looked like. Well, more bronzish than the gold he has there but certainly closer than his normal colour.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Why was Colossus chrome in the first place? To set him apart from Iron Man? That colour he has on the cover makes him look more like what I picture the Colossus of Rhodes to have looked like. Well, more bronzish than the gold he has there but certainly closer than his normal colour.

Because he turns into organic STEEL not organic BRONZE.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh, right, they specify the metal.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

I wouldn’t be mad if the alternate covers were involved in the story, and he could change costumes like the PS5 game.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

That was me, my first X-Men issue was the one with Wolverine crucified on the "X" on the cover, when they were in the Outback after the Siege Perilous stuff happened. I had no idea what the gently caress.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah one thing I've noticed with the new ultimate universe is the tech. I think it's supposed to be a bit more futuristic given the makers involvement in things, but it also seems like an aspect writers and artists only occasionally remember.
So far there has been one (1) writer* and three artists with published works in the new Ultimate Universe.

In Ultimate Invasion everything looks pretty "real world 2023" technology when drawn by Bryan Hitch outside of
1) The big science experiment that created the radioactive spider that [didn't] bite Peter Parker
2) Other technology directly used/controlled by the Maker, Stane/Stark Industries, and other Maker's Council members

Pretty much all of the civilian/general public shots we get (media at The Maker's conference, cars/buildings at Stane's funeral, a shot of a bunch of people taking cellphone pictures of The City) look very normal in terms of tech.

The Ultimate Universe one-shot drawn by Stefano Caselli takes place almost entirely in Stark's secret base, the Maker's facilities, and Asgard. The epilogue of a newscaster talking about Stark's attack on New York" has some slightly futuristic buildings in an overhead shot, but the newscaster has what looks like a slightly outdated black laptop on his desk and is reading off of sheets of paper, and there's a shot of what looks a lot like a Toyota Prius crashed/on fire.

And then in this week's Ultimate Spider-Man, all of the technology shown in the Parker residence, the Daily Bugle offices, etc. look completely in line with what you'd seen in actual 2023/2024 New York City. The exceptions again being the Green Goblin's armor/glider, and the orb/costume provided to Peter by Tony Stark.

I'm not sure which tech you're talking about? Maybe I missed something.

* Donny Cates is given "special thanks" and may well have had different ideas about the new Ultimate Universe than Hickman, but I'm still not seeing any outlier tech outside of what superheroes/supervillains have, which is pretty much every superhero universe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

To be more specific, all the info and art so far points to Peter having been given an inorganic high-tech suit that will function like the symbiote does. It's from Stark, and he says it's a picotech suit, which brings to mind the nanotech armour that 616 Stark has had in the past that was housed in his skeleton. And it cannot be unintentional that the suit was shown as a black orb inside the container Peter gets, a reference to the symbiote being held as a black orb in the machine 616 Peter got it from originally.

So instead of wearing a separate, fabric, home-made costume, he has a suit that is actually a part of him and allows him to change into Spider-Man at will and have camouflage/disguise abilities, including changing the design to the familiar red & blue.

Leaves me to wonder how they're going to do the webs/webshooters.

I really hope they still have him build the webshooters himself. I mean 616 Pete (and a bunch of other Spider-folks in the multiverse) was able to do it at 15 on a budget of... whatever a usual teenager got for an allowance in 1962. And I mean the counter-argument would be that this Pete has apparently been working in the news for 20 years but the Maker still found him originally at the science demonstration, showing that he at least had an interest in science. Or gently caress it, give him organic webbing, whatever.

The one thing I don't want is the Stark suit to make it, just because that reminds me of MCU Peter being Iron Man Jr.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i hope it shoots out his butt like a spider

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

I really hope they still have him build the webshooters himself. I mean 616 Pete (and a bunch of other Spider-folks in the multiverse) was able to do it at 15 on a budget of... whatever a usual teenager got for an allowance in 1962. And I mean the counter-argument would be that this Pete has apparently been working in the news for 20 years but the Maker still found him originally at the science demonstration, showing that he at least had an interest in science. Or gently caress it, give him organic webbing, whatever.

The one thing I don't want is the Stark suit to make it, just because that reminds me of MCU Peter being Iron Man Jr.

I don't think there's any counter-argument related to Peter himself, I think the mistake of having this suit be able to create its own webbing and/or the mechanisms to shoot it is that the obvious question becomes why stop there? The living symbiote had limits (and originally was hidden from his knowledge anyway). But if Peter knows it can create any substance he can imagine, why stop at clothes and webs? Is he now like Blue Beetle or Green Lantern, making him capable of all kinds of tech and constructs?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

site posted:

ultimate spidey good

:yeah:

srypher posted:

jjj being a positive presence in peter's life makes me so happy, peter's reveal to him in zdarsky's run is one of my all-time favorite comic moments. i'm hoping they don't touch symbiote stuff with a ten foot pole at least for a while

bad news; the Lifestyles editor at the Bugle is named Jeff Knull.

Codependent Poster posted:

We don't know who the Green Goblin is.

it's Gwen Stacey (I'll be so annoyed if that's true)

Endless Mike posted:

I knew a little about the X-Men, not a lot, and jumped in with the Lee/Claremont #1 from 1991. My friend mocked me endlessly for pointing at Beast on the cover and saying "what the hell happened to Nightcrawler?"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kingtheninja posted:

lol this was my first issue: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_247

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It is kind of funny how many Mutants are blue and/or furry even if several of them are related, though it does also remind me of this thread that is still one of my favorite Marvel related fan concepts;

The Vibranian Empire

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

drrockso20 posted:

It is kind of funny how many Mutants are blue and/or furry even if several of them are related, though it does also remind me of this thread that is still one of my favorite Marvel related fan concepts;

The Vibranian Empire

Wait, Beast and Nightcrawler aren’t related? I thought all blue mutants were related. Am I a mutant racist?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Wait, Beast and Nightcrawler aren’t related? I thought all blue mutants were related. Am I a mutant racist?

Yeah, Beast isn't naturally fuzzy and blue, it's because he used experimental chemicals on himself to make himself look less Beast like.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he was also supposed to have black or dark grey fur, he only became blue from people misunderstanding old color printing techniques

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It was interesting in the late 80s early 90s they had the color down so started coloring him grey but at some point someone just made a conscious decision "nah he's blue."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Supporting Characters:
* Sharon Kelly (Corpse, skeleton or other remains)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rick posted:

It was interesting in the late 80s early 90s they had the color down so started coloring him grey but at some point someone just made a conscious decision "nah he's blue."

Beast was blue by 1976.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Beast was blue by 1976.

In x factor he got de-furred then re-furred and at first it was grey, then at some point switched back to blue.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the new Fantastic Four comic by Ryan North. What's some other stuff that started within the couple years that's worth checking out?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

More than a few years old now but North's Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is essential reading. Jed McKay's Black Cat and Moon Knight runs are newer and also loving own entirely. His Doctor Strange as well. Anything by Al Ewing is worth at least trying but his Immortal Hulk run in particular is an all timer. The other one that comes to mind is Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil, another one that I think will be looked back on as a definitive run.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Roth posted:

I like the new Fantastic Four comic by Ryan North. What's some other stuff that started within the couple years that's worth checking out?

The most recent issue really came out of nowhere with the big emotional push. Really really effective!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

rantmo posted:

More than a few years old now but North's Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is essential reading. Jed McKay's Black Cat and Moon Knight runs are newer and also loving own entirely. His Doctor Strange as well. Anything by Al Ewing is worth at least trying but his Immortal Hulk run in particular is an all timer. The other one that comes to mind is Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil, another one that I think will be looked back on as a definitive run.

Which is wild, because Daredevil has probably had more "definitive runs" than any other character. Like, I've never been the biggest Daredevil fan, but I pretty much always enjoy the Daredevil comic. There's just a murderer's row of creative talent doing some of the best work of their careers on this one character.