Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

YOSPOS > PL thread:

Subjunctive posted:

a bit of self-loathing helps too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

how do you even become a compiler developer? i dont even know what skills you need to have to be one

you have to hone your mind to the point where any concern of making something that serves the needs of your users is completely suborned to a brainlessly legalistic slavish interpretation of a dead standard

when your child asks you for a box of LEGOs or a kitten or a bicycle, your first and only inclination should be to say "no, the standard doesn't require me to do that"

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I should note that while compilers are just programs, language design is incredibly difficult. I don't even mean making a good language, but just one that doesn't have contradictions or ambiguities, and is not defined just by implementation details.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Legos but with sharp edges and if they cut themself you scornfully tell them it's undefined behavior so it's their own fault

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

Legos but with sharp edges and if they cut themself you scornfully tell them it's undefined behavior so it's their own fault

add the razor blades to their LEGO creation while they are sleeping

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Athas posted:

I should note that while compilers are just programs, language design is incredibly difficult. I don't even mean making a good language, but just one that doesn't have contradictions or ambiguities, and is not defined just by implementation details.

emptyquoting this, as someone who's spent the last n weeks trying to untangle a super sophisticated and under-documented (ML-style) module system implementation

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pseudorandom name posted:

you have to hone your mind to the point where any concern of making something that serves the needs of your users is completely suborned to a brainlessly legalistic slavish interpretation of a dead standard

when your child asks you for a box of LEGOs or a kitten or a bicycle, your first and only inclination should be to say "no, the standard doesn't require me to do that"

tbh that sounds way better than trying to figure out what the gently caress users even want this week

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh that sounds way better than trying to figure out what the gently caress users even want this week

Not if you are the user.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

this might surprise you, but compilers exist for languages that are neither C nor C++

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Athas posted:

Not if you are the user.

yes, people prefer things to be good for themselves. im saying as a developer being "chained" to a standard is actually really nice cause you dont get a bunch of weird requests for changes. maybe priorities change, but its still the same standard you work to and hopefully someone else is responsible for that. like, business requirements and whatever change, but its a ~standard~ so u c a n t c h a n g e i t

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Python if you want to get work done quickly.
well, if you want to input your work into the computer quickly

Internet Janitor posted:

this might surprise you, but compilers exist for languages that are neither C nor C++
this is true, there are aompilers and fompilers and hompilers and pompilers and rompilers and sompilers

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

even Python has one now!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

the real play is to pull a Matz and invent a language for which the "standard" is your own implementation

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dijkstracula posted:

the real play is to pull a Matz and invent a language for which the "standard" is your own implementation

Larry Wall did it first

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Dijkstracula posted:

manic pixie dream plang

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

manic pixie dream plang

indeed this fits most ruby developers I know

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
im glad i don’t do ruby anymore

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
is it zookeeper that inexplicably has a jruby shell?

maybe it’s hbase

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

is it zookeeper that inexplicably has a jruby shell?

maybe it’s hbase

sounds like a someone should be in a zoo shell!! haha!!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i think asking "why doesn't apple bundle this c library with their developer sdk" is just sort of misunderstanding what the developer sdk is. the third-party c libraries included with it aren't a collection of things which apple thinks you might find useful. they're a subset of the libraries which apple uses internally and would be shipping with the os anyway which they feel comfortable with exposing. libomp isn't used by the os, so it isn't bundled with the os and you have to supply it yourself. the only thing different about it from every other library that isn't part of the os that you might want to use is that it also has a bunch of compiler magic too, and apple left that in place.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

apple dev tools are designed for one thing: developing the next gacha game that tim can skim 30% off of.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple deserves the 30% for bringing the gambling addict to the gacha game.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Shaggar posted:

It's called a Finder's fee

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

weaker developers fold over the constant xcode bugs and crashes. only the strong survive.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you want to inspect object values while on this breakpoint? gently caress you, here are some memory addresses. good luck.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

lmao

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

akadajet posted:

weaker developers fold over the constant xcode bugs and crashes. only the strong survive.

nah we just use unity and mostly dont bother with xcode

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Armitag3 posted:

manic pixie dream plang

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tldr macos userland is not based on what apple thinks users might find useful. again a lot of words.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Armitag3 posted:

ehehehe

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Armitag3 posted:

manic pixie dream plang

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

bartleby the register allocator

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

akadajet posted:

you want to inspect object values while on this breakpoint? gently caress you, here are some memory addresses. good luck.

you wanted to step over this line of code? gently caress you i'm just continuing execution

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Python is good except they need to stop introducing new string formatting schemes.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Presto posted:

Python is good except they need to stop introducing new string formatting schemes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

you wanted to step over this line of code? gently caress you i'm just continuing execution

People talk poo poo about JavaScript all the time, but the debugging tools are so good. The other language I daily drive is C#, and the experience there has always been amazing. Every once in a while, I'll get the urge to mock a mobile app up in xcode and swift and it's always the most unpleasant experience. Swift itself has really nice syntax, but everything else feels like I'm working through thick muck.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Presto posted:

f-strings are fine.

the f is for fine

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I tune my bass strings D-G-A-F

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Presto posted:

F-strings should be used everywhere possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

if they introduce new ones they're going to have to be g-strings