Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
In other news, my ex-employer is falling apart at the seams, so that's nice, vindicating and cathartic for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Well she also was one of the three hiring managers/interviewers, plus apparently all the department leads have this same understanding; they all keep mentioning the "big plans" for me. Don't have any reason to doubt them yet.

I hear ya. It sounds like a good opportunity if everyone is being straight. If the money is good, it would be tough to pass up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have no context, other than provided, but everything about that sounds like a straight up con job. I wouldn't trust a six-week HR plan, much less one that pays off in three years.

I think you'd have to take that job at face value. Do you want to do hard manual labor until you find something else?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

im scared of docker and don't want any linux iso ISP nastygrams :saddowns:

i guess i'll find something to practice with first

Have you considered pursuing a Gentoovian solution?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

yeah that job plan is a loving lie, they’re not going to turn a signal maintenance monkey into the traffic monitoring department

especially not for a public position

eta: why would they make it a real position when they can just hire your prior client and contract it out and not have to pay government scales

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

So, here's what happened, now that I'm free.

1) Told a regular breakfix client, a Traffic Signal installer/contractor, about me leaving.

2) He (the owner) immediately calls his friends in Public Works and gets me an interview.

3) I apply to be a Traffic Signal Technician.

4) After interview, they asked me to reapply as a Maintenance Nechanic.

5) A few days later, the HR rep tells me they have a specific plan for me:

A) Make he do hard labour building street signs and road lines, get cdl.

B) Take that experience and become a Signal Technician.

C) By third year, they implement a Traffic monitoring system and make it my department, basically define the role.

So yeah, interesting.

I mean it's your life but I would laugh in their face if someone offered me a "job" like that. What a crock of poo poo IMHO

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The thing is that even if everyone you spoke to was being 100% honest and acting in good faith, there's no chance that kind of plan actually survives three years. I'd bet good money you would just end up stuck as mechanic as they push your new role back year after year

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The more I re-read it, this is them doing your client a “favor”

Generally it’s a bad sign if you’re asked to interview for crappier positions after the first one

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hughmoris posted:

You should launch your IaC build with power automate.

This is from a ways back but I had to bring it up to mention that we do this, apparently. A Microsoft form getting filled out triggers a power automated workflow that will call something (maybe Azure Automation?) that triggers a new VM deploy by somehow generating some new terraform for it and applying it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Dandywalken posted:

Have you considered pursuing a Gentoovian solution?

I was raised well and taught to never install Gentoo thank you very much

D.ont
A.ctivate
R.idiculous
E.xamples of linux

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Pretty sure what's happening is the city is trying to stand up a Traffic Management Center, which they do not have, and want me to run it, and they want to train me and others because they have no personnel who can, and lots of them are retiring 60 year Olds who can't use computers and would rather drink beer, shoot guns and suck Trump's dick.

They are also pushing out a pretty hefty cert and educational regimen at me in that direction.

Y'all are too cynical.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Pretty sure what's happening is the city is trying to stand up a Traffic Management Center, which they do not have, and want me to run it, and they want to train me and others because they have no personnel who can, and lots of them are retiring 60 year Olds who can't use computers and would rather drink beer, shoot guns and suck Trump's dick.

They are also pushing out a pretty hefty cert and educational regimen at me in that direction.

Y'all are too cynical.

Call it cynical but I know government jobs and they are not going to turn signal mechanic monkey into Director of Traffic Management

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Y'all are too cynical.

In IT, there. Is. No. Such. Thing.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

And the more I think about it, the more likely it is the contractor that did me the solid and got me the interview is probably pushing the city to implement such a center because it benefits his company as a Traffic Signal installer.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Also who would train you and others to be Traffic Management ™️ and why would the job not just go to them, the people who have been proven to know it enough to teach you how to do it

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Y'all be suspicious if you want, I have my reasons and I think they're well founded.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Y'all be suspicious if you want, I have my reasons and I think they're well founded.

We all wish you the best, brother, but most of us have also been on the wrong end of employers' broken promises before.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vibes are off tonight

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Absolutely.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 13, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

If you feel good about it then roll the dice and give it a go!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tehinternet posted:

Why don’t you like them? Not a gotcha, legit interested because a lot of people don’t seem to know much about it so seeing an opinion has me interested

power automate has some very specific use cases that it is very good at but like all nocode/lowcode solutions as soon as you try to do anything remotely complex it turns into a complete nightmare and you should have used
python or powershell

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Well she also was one of the three hiring managers/interviewers, plus apparently all the department leads have this same understanding; they all keep mentioning the "big plans" for me. Don't have any reason to doubt them yet.

I want to be positive but I've never seen anyone who it panned out when big plans are mentioned before even being hired. I will say on paper though, that sounds like a solid plan - have you get hands on experience with the physical stuff so you can move onto the IT stuff, which is more sound of logic than most places I've heard of conduct business, but if you want to give it a shot and think it's worth it sure gently caress it why not. I swore to myself I would never do accounting and still ended up doing a couple years of it, so what the hell.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

don't plan anything around getting the promotion or directorship, if you're wrong then you get a shitload more money and expertise and if you're right you're no worse for wear.

anyway docker is so goddamn cool, i hate that I work at a microsoft-only shop and we don't really have a use for it, but it's so beautiful

anyway here's a good dockers for dummies that none of my sempais would give me earlier: https://training.play-with-docker.com/ops-stage1/

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

johnny park posted:

What the hell does Power Automate actually do? I'm reading this and my eyes just glaze over

Yeah, Microsoft is dumb as poo poo. Under all that bullshit is a pretty capable GUI based scripting solution.

Those workflows (scripts kinda) can be scheduled on a recurring basis, triggered by HTTP calls, when files are put in folders, when items are added to Sharepoint lists/libraries and a mess of other things. Pretty sure you could get away with using it as a janky SFTP solution if you wanted to, but there are way better programs for that.

Our most common usecase is having our ITSM call a Power Automate endpoint to tell Power Automate Desktop to make account creations in lovely legacy programs that we don’t want to gently caress with manually, but we’ve also got a fair amount of SharePoint automation because SharePoint is the worst and Power Automate plays nicely with SharePoint.

We also use it for onboarding/offboarding automation because it plays nicely with Azure/Entra and you can call Azure key vaults to do it relatively securely.

It’s not special and almost certainly not better than writing actual code in most places, but it does let a mouthbreather like me look super competent and smarter than I actually am to the people I work with, so yeah.

The Fool posted:

power automate has some very specific use cases that it is very good at but like all nocode/lowcode solutions as soon as you try to do anything remotely complex it turns into a complete nightmare and you should have used
python or powershell

And I firmly agree here for the web version. It gets messy and impossible to read for anyone but who made it due to some design choices they’ve made. The desktop version is different beast and you can get away with some complex poo poo there much more easily (and run python and PS scripts where PAD can’t get something done).

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 13, 2024

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Don't have any reason to doubt them yet.

You do, you talked to HR. Assuming HR is acting in good faith is incredibly naieve.

So many folks getting screwed on things like 6 months contracts to hire, being hired 1 level lower and a promise of EOY promotion or being the lone on call person “until we hire someone to help out” that never happen. And this is all on a trajectory of months, not years.

If they are so sure about your career path, see if they are willing to put it in your contract (with penalty clauses/golden parachutes). If they don’t then you know they’re a lot less certain about your odds than they’re telling you.

You can call the entire thread cynical but if everyone tells you “awww hells no”, it might be time to stop and think if your gut feeling really trumps dozens (hundreds maybe?) of years of experiences.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

it's three in the loving morning but i got my docker to work

turns out the secret was to just set it up myself

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

johnny park posted:

The thing is that even if everyone you spoke to was being 100% honest and acting in good faith, there's no chance that kind of plan actually survives three years. I'd bet good money you would just end up stuck as mechanic as they push your new role back year after year

It’s the city. Creating a department isn’t HR or leads call. It’s the call of the appointed person at the top. When’s your next election? Because with city jobs the guys at the bottom are there for life but the guys at the top change out constantly

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

tokin opposition posted:

it's three in the loving morning but i got my docker to work

turns out the secret was to just set it up myself

you mean typing and entering

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 sonarr/sonarr:latest

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
jk the first time I set up docker was to use it for ripping from a friend's Plex and it took forever to set up

now it's like 20 seconds from a search

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I went specifically for tying vpn and bittorrent, but all the premade stuff seemed out of date for my client of choice. And keep in mind I ran the hello world docker for the first time the same day. It's a lot of jargon ok 😭

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

My favorite power automate feature is talking about it but no one ever doing anything with it at work

I use it to template for sharepoint sites. Otherwise it has little use in my work.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, that’s an unfortunate bit about it, iPower Automate work gets lumped with SharePoint poo poo because it actually works with SharePoint well. I’ve gotten hit up on linked in for a Sharepoint dev job, but honestly gently caress that.

SharePoint could be great if they’d depreciate the legacy poo poo and make site management actually manageable for normal non-technical people (the whole point of SharePoint was for people to be able to manage their own poo poo).

Like just for sites you have sites that are sites, you have teams groups that are sites, then you have teams sites that are sites. Oh and when you share poo poo on teams that goes into your One Drive not your teams site OR it could go into your teams group’s teams site if it’s a team within Teams.

Super simple, super easy to understand, amazing naming. Ticks all the Microsoft boxes honestly.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Yeah I've given up explaining on where files are to my users. When they're looking from a file I ask where they were pulling it from (Teams, etc) and then I work from there. People HAVE asked and HAVE tried to understand, but man, it's rough.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Reoxygenation posted:

Yeah I've given up explaining on where files are to my users. When they're looking from a file I ask where they were pulling it from (Teams, etc) and then I work from there. People HAVE asked and HAVE tried to understand, but man, it's rough.

Yeah, fully agree. Microsoft made it lovely as possible with all the minor differences between the site types. Essentially makes it nearly impossible to give appropriate documentation to users who WANT to learn, and then even if they get it figured out, if your environment isn’t standardized, the way they do things there won’t carry other to a site created in a different way.

That’s not even getting into modern sites vs classic sites. Oh and sites that look like modern sites but are really the modern visual style pasted over the classic backend (which I mean you can tell the difference between if you’ve managed SharePoint, the point is that Joe User has no chance).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone see the Cloudflare drama? Someone recorded their own RIF and it went viral. I think it is absolutely wild you can be fired with no benefits for missing arbitrary sales targets and left on the street with no heath insurances or any benefits.

https://x.com/Austen/status/1745654944714363230?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
'murica

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Need a knowledge check here:

My company acquired another one, and I’ve been tasked with transitioning their domain to our 365 tenant and Mimecast spam filter. This would be my first time doing something like this, so I’ve been doing some research. From what I gather, I have to go through the process of adding the domains both to our Mimecast instance and 365 tenant. Ok fine, it looks fairly easy just copy/pasting dns records into registrars and clicking buttons.

Does it matter which order I do this in? Should I do the 365 side first, or Mimecast? Heres my rough plan from the information I gathered:

Mimecast:

1) Generate TXT record for new domain being added and add it to domains registrar to prove ownership.

2) Once domain is validated, add/edit existing MX records on domains registrar for incoming mail to point to Mimecast

365 Tenant:

1) Add domain to 365 tenant via generating & adding DNS TXT records to domain registrar to prove ownership

Is…that it? I have a feeling I’m missing several steps….

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Need a knowledge check here:

My company acquired another one, and I’ve been tasked with transitioning their domain to our 365 tenant and Mimecast spam filter. This would be my first time doing something like this, so I’ve been doing some research. From what I gather, I have to go through the process of adding the domains both to our Mimecast instance and 365 tenant. Ok fine, it looks fairly easy just copy/pasting dns records into registrars and clicking buttons.

Does it matter which order I do this in? Should I do the 365 side first, or Mimecast? Heres my rough plan from the information I gathered:

Mimecast:

1) Generate TXT record for new domain being added and add it to domains registrar to prove ownership.

2) Once domain is validated, add/edit existing MX records on domains registrar for incoming mail to point to Mimecast

365 Tenant:

1) Add domain to 365 tenant via generating & adding DNS TXT records to domain registrar to prove ownership

Is…that it? I have a feeling I’m missing several steps….

You may be missing some. Does their data need to come over? If so, bit Titan or related product to bring their tenant into your tenant. Like theircompany.com to theircompany.yourcompany.com
Modify their mx records to point to your tenant.
Then, claim the domain to your tenant (possibly after releasing it from their tenant, I forget).
Remember that we're all company.onmicrosoft.com in the end and everything else is an alias.
Modify their users from theircompany.yourcompany.com to just theircompany.com, hand changing any duplicates. Use powershell.
Finally, add theircompany.com to your email filter of choice, like mimecast, verify that accounts are syncing properly, and modify their mx records.
If their SharePoint and OneDrive needs to come over, it's a similar thing but God have mercy on your soul.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gucci Loafers posted:

Anyone see the Cloudflare drama? Someone recorded their own RIF and it went viral. I think it is absolutely wild you can be fired with no benefits for missing arbitrary sales targets and left on the street with no heath insurances or any benefits.

https://x.com/Austen/status/1745654944714363230?s=20

That quoted post says “it’s important to handle getting fired with dignity” and let me just stop you there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Silly Newbie posted:

You may be missing some. Does their data need to come over? If so, bit Titan or related product to bring their tenant into your tenant. Like theircompany.com to theircompany.yourcompany.com
Modify their mx records to point to your tenant.
Then, claim the domain to your tenant (possibly after releasing it from their tenant, I forget).
Remember that we're all company.onmicrosoft.com in the end and everything else is an alias.
Modify their users from theircompany.yourcompany.com to just theircompany.com, hand changing any duplicates. Use powershell.
Finally, add theircompany.com to your email filter of choice, like mimecast, verify that accounts are syncing properly, and modify their mx records.
If their SharePoint and OneDrive needs to come over, it's a similar thing but God have mercy on your soul.

He might also need to set up mail connectors if mimecast flow mail as the destination domains or they might get flagged as spam.