Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

God drat that entire thing is intensely stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Puns aside, this entire story is very loving weird. A very specific branch of Judaism that was led by a Rabbi who passed away decades ago didn't officially name a successor prior to dying and congregants have been trying to hold the extremely prominent congregation and synagogue together since then. One branch of mostly young men is convinced that this Rabbi was actually a Messiah and isn't actually dead, and have been trying to forcefully expand the synagogue since then. They ended up digging a secret illegal tunnel to connect it with another building. The city tried to fill the tunnel in with cement and it turned into a minor riot at the synagogue with supporters busting through the wall and poo poo. The city is trying to figure out if the building is even structurally safe anymore.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh yeah, like it's not their fault. I guess you could blame them a little for not looking at all into whether the person contracting them actually owned the property but it's not like any contractor I've worked with has asked me to prove I own the house.

When I was the foreman for a high end landscaping company in a rich town, we actually did often have to ask for proof of residency on jobs. There was a sort of war going on in a very rich neighborhood built on a series of hills along the ocean. People kept building bigger taller houses, that blocked the next house up the roads view, so they built taller, etc.

People would also have their views on the water blocked by their neighbors trees. It got to the point that on multiple occasions, people would call to have tree work done. . .on their neighbors property. They were totally willing to pay, it just wasn't their trees they wanted cut down. After the first big blow up (which fortunately was with another company, not ours) we started asking for licenses when we bid work. We also would reach out to the other companies in the area and ask around if they knew the homeowner.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A rumble in the temple!
Don't bore a hole in the Tora hall!
Rocking the foundations of Chabab.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Goosebamboozler attempted cucumber caper in Kupittaa - guard ruined the 127-euro trick

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Goosebamboozler

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

so is this someone who bamboozles geese, or a goose who bamboozles?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No idea, it was in a tabloid so I didn't read it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No idea, it was in a tabloid so I didn't read it.

good call

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Puns aside, this entire story is very loving weird. A very specific branch of Judaism that was led by a Rabbi who passed away decades ago didn't officially name a successor prior to dying and congregants have been trying to hold the extremely prominent congregation and synagogue together since then. One branch of mostly young men is convinced that this Rabbi was actually a Messiah and isn't actually dead, and have been trying to forcefully expand the synagogue since then. They ended up digging a secret illegal tunnel to connect it with another building. The city tried to fill the tunnel in with cement and it turned into a minor riot at the synagogue with supporters busting through the wall and poo poo. The city is trying to figure out if the building is even structurally safe anymore.
This is an accurate summation. Chabad makes more waves because they have a huge outreach operation (which I believe is semi-separate from the mothership in Brooklyn at this point).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carthag Tuek posted:

so is this someone who bamboozles geese, or a goose who bamboozles?

The goose would presumably be the bamboozlee

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Evilreaver posted:

The goose would presumably be the bamboozlee

thats not what the documentary game portrays

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Nessus posted:

This is an accurate summation. Chabad makes more waves because they have a huge outreach operation (which I believe is semi-separate from the mothership in Brooklyn at this point).

Mitzvah Tank!

I actually went to 770 Eastern Parkway once.

I road a motorcycle from WA to NYC and somewhere around the Badlands, I met a guy who used to live on the streets in Brooklyn. He gave me two $1 bills and told me one was for my journey. The second bill I was to take to 770 Eastern Parkway and give it to the first person I saw.

Some months later, I'm interviewing to rent an apartment just down the street from Eastern Parkway. I take my dollar to this inconspicuous brick tudor-style house and walk in the front door. A parade of Hassidic men are moving in and out of the foyer, so I ask the first one where to put my dollar. He points to the wall where there are about 8 slots for donations. All but one were in Hebrew, and the final said "Building Upkeep". I figured that was good enough, so dropped my bill and forgot about it for a while.

About a year later, I meet an anthropology student who is writing a paper on the Chabad movement, focusing on the Rabbi from the 70s-80s. He was really interested in my two-dollar story and told me about "Dollar Sunday" when Rabbi Schneerson would distribute crisp $1s for hours in order to stimulate the virtues of generosity and charity https://www.chabad.org/therebbe/article_cdo/aid/1714766/jewish/What-Does-a-Dollar-From-the-Rebbe-Represent.htm

Anyway, the same group has a pretty contentious history in the neighborhood as well. They were the center of so-called "race riots" after a member of Rabbi Schneerson's motorcade ran a red light, leading to the death and serious injury of two Guyanese children. Allegations that the Hatzolah ambulance crew was unwilling to help non-Jews, which led to the death of one of the children. This led to three days of street violence targeted at the Jewish community and the eventual murder of an Italian-American due to his visual resemblance to a Hassidic man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Heights_riot

Anyway, just some wacky headlines from NYC.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carthag Tuek posted:

thats not what the documentary game portrays

They had to change the game's title at the last second due to this misunderstanding, I haven't checked but I hope they picked a good name

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Evilreaver posted:

They had to change the game's title at the last second due to this misunderstanding, I haven't checked but I hope they picked a good name

well, its apt

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eels up inside ya...

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

These limits cause entropy to max out at about 10^69 bits per square meter. “If you tried to pack information more densely than that,” says Aaronson, “your hard drive would collapse into a black hole.”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well it's just fitting that the most we can pack info head to dick is 69. Beautiful almost.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/child-dies-after-apparent-fold-out-bed-incident-at-quebec-hotel-provincial-police-1.6724770

2024: now the fold-out beds are eating people

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I can't believe someone put Death Bed: the bed that eats in a hotel.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

I can't believe someone put Death Bed: the bed that eats in a hotel.

Oh Steven King definitely has an outline for a short story like that in a drafts draw somewhere from back in the 70/80's.

If only it had been published someone would be posting the link to the hilariously lovely made for tv movie made from it right now.

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014

dr_rat posted:

Oh Steven King definitely has an outline for a short story like that in a drafts draw somewhere from back in the 70/80's.

If only it had been published someone would be posting the link to the hilariously lovely made for tv movie made from it right now.

“Death Bed, the Bed that Eats” is a real movie

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just googled it, so it is. Anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nIOw5KZKSc

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
this is how I knew about Dead Bed. This is what I think of anytime I have executive disfunction on any of my creative pursuits

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1746398441163346237

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver John posted:

“Death Bed, the Bed that Eats” is a real movie

It's also (at least) two Iznogoud stories.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's also (at least) two Iznogoud stories.

If you eat the Sultan, do you become the Sultan instead of the Sultan?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you eat the Sultan, do you become the Sultan instead of the Sultan?

Well now. If you eat a sultana, do you become a sultana? Mathematically it's the same equation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I resent that implication, I wasn't even born when the Shah of Iran was deposed and it's irresponsibl;e to suggest that I, as a young child dug up his festering corpse , made it into a stew and consumed it to gain his supposed divinely granted powers!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well now. If you eat a sultana, do you become a sultana? Mathematically it's the same equation.

Only if you plan on raisin' this topic often.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Researchers track 'bum breathing' turtles travelling faster than they can swim

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's a p rad turtle.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's a p rad turtle.

Punk Turtle is a common nickname for the species due to the resemblance of the algae which can grow on their heads to a mohawk.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/tastefullysaucy/status/1746905344679235633?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Red Dawn 2: Hamas Boogaloo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s selfish to drive cars because Hamas also drove cars.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tenderloin thimblerig caught the eye - pedigree beef purloiner of the deli counter fumbled their tomato trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Love to contact the press to tell them I'm really loving stupid.