Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
2024 is Space Marine 2, Hades 2, and Rise of the Golden Idol for me. A PC release of Horizon Forbidden West is also something I'm really looking forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the countdown mostly passed me by but I tried to catch up a bit while things weren't too busy at work. but as I just got home from said work, I'm hoping it's not too late to get a commemorative probe with this as my image:

(there's only so much room in the format and Astarion had to get cropped for space)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ms Adequate posted:

Gah I can't believe I missed it AGAIN, next you Veeg you're doing it to my personal schedule!! (Thank you once again though, this thread is always a highlight and your efforts are always much appreciated!)

Just an insane year for games though. Absolutely un-loving-believeable. In a normal year we'd get like three games out of this top ten and consider it pretty decent, if we got five we'd call it a banger. This? This is just bonkers!

Maybe the most bonkers part of all is that you could take away that top 10 entirely and still have a good list. You'd have REmake 4, Hi-Fi Rush, Spider-Man 2, Jedi Survivor, Pizza Tower, and plenty of others that would mean it adds up to an entirely respectable year of releases. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it. Not in the last 20 years at least, but maybe ever, I'm not sure even 2001 hit this hard and I've said that's the GOAT since it happened.

I’d be annoyed at Alan Wake 2 ceasing to exist but I can’t deny it’d be thematically appropriate.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many people played SA Game of the Year Baldur's Gate 3 on console

I played about 8 hours worth of :pirate: on PC, because I both wasn't sure I would like it, and wasn't confident my PC could even run it competently in the first place. I did like it, but my PC absolutely could NOT handle it, so I bought it on PS5. It's real good!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

someone else said the game is blatant plagiarism which... idk maybe.

I think the reason that comment got such a bad reaction is because “plagiarism” isn’t really an accurate way to describe it. It’s extremely derivative of Bloodborne, sure, everyone knows that, but the team aren’t trying to pass From’s code off at their own, or pretending they invented any of these things. It’s wearing its influences on its sleeve and is a love letter to that style, which is not what plagiarism is.

Anyway, that kerfuffle actually got me to ignore what I said before and start playing it and I’m really really enjoying it so far. It plays great and I really do love the original mechanics like the extra flask thing and the way the health regain system is tied to imperfect parries. It’s sucked me in a lot already and I’m gonna be playing it a whole lot over the next couple weeks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks to hbomberguy the word "plagiarism" is en vogue but he used it to refer to a very specific set of accusations against specific content creators.

Nerds confusing Lies of P's derivative but loving homage as plagiarism is just people being too precious about Bloodborne for their own good.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GGs (good games), y'all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Runa posted:

Thanks to hbomberguy the word "plagiarism" is en vogue but he used it to refer to a very specific set of accusations against specific content creators.

Nerds confusing Lies of P's derivative but loving homage as plagiarism is just people being too precious about Bloodborne for their own good.

Bloodborne is just plagiarizing Peter and the Wolf anyway

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And the soulslike is a firm and established genre now. So many different companies and indies have tackled the formula now to varying degrees of success. Lies of P is just the one who has so far done it the absolute best and it should be praised for that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I voted.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We need more devs doing totally wacky poo poo like that, not less, imho

edit - we also need more devs making competent Soulslikes

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Played Lies of P after my list and super enjoyed it, it wouldn't be super high up but it would've made it. It follows the formula of a classic Souls game to the letter while having a few small mechanical twists, sure, but most importantly it delivers a game that FROM has kind of left behind with ER's focus on overtuned bosses where everything is a sweat factory.

It is just a superbly crafted game in its own right and deserves praise for delivering what it promises perfectly with no major surprises. I mentioned on my list that 2023's big games all felt like major labours of love where the devs clearly felt a lot of care for these products and Lies of P definitely falls into that category. The plot and characters are hokey but it all works. We've seen how difficult that is to accomplish with all these other games that tried and didn't quite manage it in the genre.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lies of P has a few great twists on the genre staples, things like your final estus charge being refillable allowing you to cling to life with skillful play or the absolutely brilliant weapon assembly system making the already great weapon variety become absolutely phenomenal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe plagiarism was a poor choice of words but it is extremely derivative in a way that I find very off putting. Has nothing to do with Souls. I feel that way about anything I like. I want to see things I like inspire other things not see wholesale ripoffs of them. From the 3 or so hours I played it seemed like a perfectly competent game but it goes way beyond "love letter" into outright shameless imo. It just goes way too far with it for my tastes. I don't have a problem with others enjoying it at all. My reaction had nothing to do with people enjoying the game and everything to do with a couple of people acting like they had no idea what I was talking about, which came off as a really bad faith way to try and start an argument with me I wasn't even looking for. I don't think for a second that either of posters just never noticed it looks almost exactly like Bloodborne.

That's probably not a discussion for this thread though so I regret even bringing it up, but if you guys are gonna keep talking about me I'm gonna at least say my piece.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i'm unclear how bloodborne didn't take top spot but I respect the refs call

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Good games and whiny meltdowns. The GOTYT has it all!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Regy Rusty posted:

And the soulslike is a firm and established genre now.

cursed

Epic High Five posted:

We need more devs doing totally wacky poo poo like that, not less, imho

edit - we also need more devs making competent Soulslikes

it's not wacky, it's just normie

the reason why demon's souls, bloodborne, and sekiro are special in the first place is because they all went against the grain of what the industry was doing and did something actually wacky

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
shove this idiot nerd in a locker, goldmine thread.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thank you so much for all the work putting this together! Can't wait to play all the games that got added to my wishlist from this in 2024. :toot:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Captain Invictus posted:

shove this idiot nerd in a locker, goldmine thread.

the thread doesn't end until page 69

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i'm unclear how bloodborne didn't take top spot but I respect the refs call

Abject refusal to let me play it on my PC means I will ensure it never reaches GOTY until then :colbert:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don’t think the demo is the best representation of the vibes and settings the full game goes too. There are locations and moods in LoP that I won’t find in any From games and the narrative is very much its own thing.

I don’t really get a game whose combat centers heavily around blocking and chained melee parries with a relatively weak dodge being primarily compared to Bloodborne, which only has block as a comedy option, has unchained offensive ranged parries, and whose main defensive move is a very powerful dodge. Then you add in the mechanics like puppet thread and fulminis which are closer to Nero’s move set in DMC5 than anything the moon scented hunter can do…

Calling it a straight copy of Bloodborne is selling it very short. I revisited Bloodborne shortly after my first three runs of LoP and it’s really a very different experience.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This thread has encouraged me to play Lies of P this month, it's on Gamepass

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gods drat, I knew I wasn't great at the sizzle reels this year but only one quote is a hit to the old ego.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This thread has encouraged me to play Lies of P this month, it's on Gamepass

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Songbearer posted:

Abject refusal to let me play it on my PC means I will ensure it never reaches GOTY until then :colbert:

Yeah, it's a shame but I don't make the rules, and they know what they gotta do to fix this problem. :colbert:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Would like to thank the goons that talked up Lunacid here. I picked it up and have been absolutely loving obsessed for the past week. It's so good. The vibes are immaculate and I've been having so much fun just getting lost everywhere and finding weird poo poo. Soundtrack is wonderful too. Will definitely end up on my list for this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt9GPhsByd0

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

ChrisBTY posted:

Gods drat, I knew I wasn't great at the sizzle reels this year but only one quote is a hit to the old ego.

I rated all the popular poo poo mid to low on my list. But I got quoted for Disco Elysium, and that's all that matters.

Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There's too many goons for multiple quotes per goon now I suppose...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Are people really upset that they didn't get quoted enough in that huge amount of work VG just did? Come on, he obviously tried to include everyone. Don't take it as a slight, folks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It was a monumental amount of work just to ensure every goon got quoted at least once I'm sure.

On top of the monumental amount of work it was to just put the whole thing together. While it was nice to see yourself on multiple games, having everyone included is more important I think.

Also a round of applause for VG who did all this solo when previous years had been a team effort. I can't even imagine staring at that mountain of a workload.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Seriously cannot imagine the work of doing this thread at all, let alone solo. Thank you Videogames!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Thrilled that AC6 got top 3, it really deserves it; truly the most fun game I played this year. I haven't played BG3 and I probably won't because I don't gently caress with WotC, but I'm glad Larian had their breakout hit. Can't wait for the next Divinity game!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Time to go over the list again in detail now that I've caught up and pile some stuff on my steam wishlist! :woop:

I only finished AC6 this month but I already expect it'll end up on my goty list for 2024.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

veni veni veni posted:

if you guys are gonna keep talking about me I'm gonna at least say my piece.

i only brought up that the word was used and specifically didn't quote your post bc i didnt want it to seem like an attack on you, which it wasn't. i just did want to make an argument against the notion of what you originally said.

i can def understand being offput by a product that so closely resembles something else you enjoy. i kinda sorta felt similar, but then also figured it wouldn't hold up or be nearly as good. then i heard a bunch that it was kick rear end and im just really stoked i went ahead and gave it a shot bc i loved it. i think it's a great problem to have that another company emulated or ripped off or whatever the style of souls games enough to the point that i'm now eagerly anticipating not only the elden ring dlc but now the lies of p sequel as well.

games

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

HopperUK posted:

Are people really upset that they didn't get quoted enough in that huge amount of work VG just did? Come on, he obviously tried to include everyone. Don't take it as a slight, folks.

Oh I am absolutely not taking it as a slight. VG is a workbeast and a saint. If it's their goal to include anybody it's a wonderful goal. I think I'm just self-conscious about my list this year. I just couldn't verbalize what I liked about the games I liked this year.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 14, 2024

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah same here. I see the logic in it. It's just a fun thing to look for as you go through the results!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It makes sense to set up some rules about that, these events just get bigger every year and you can’t run them just on intuition and your personal sense of humor forever. It sucks but I’d rather they keep happening than anyone get mad about it or burn out

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I mean I should be getting quoted all the time because my takes are the most insightful, accurate, and funny, but I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

It makes sense to set up some rules about that, these events just get bigger every year and you can’t run them just on intuition and your personal sense of humor forever. It sucks but I’d rather they keep happening than anyone get mad about it or burn out

not a single person is getting mad. this is a solution in search of a problem