Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Tenebrais posted:

That's overselling it a bit. The zerg by SC1 clearly incorporated the DNA of their subsumed species, since they were able to hatch them from zerg eggs. Zerg have always had a big unstable-alien-DNA thing going on.
And the map powerup is just a gameplay visual for getting living tissue samples.
The concept of incorporating alien DNA has always been a core part of the Zerg.

Calling it essence all the time is a dumb coat of paint to make what the zerg does more like magic and less like science, at least from their own perspective. Along with tying DNA concretely to the whole "purity of form/purity of essence" thing the Xel'naga had going on, just in case you'd forgotten that the Zerg had Purity of Essence, and wanted the Protoss, who had Purity of Form, and it was very important that something had Purity of Form and Purity of Essence and the Zerg are the ones with the Essence. Essence.

It wouldn't grate so bad if they weren't saying the word every other sentence, good god.

My intended point wasn't to claim that it was a retcon, mainly just that it went from something cool and interesting to something not cool and interesting, and it'll get even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm going to go with 234 Essence. Originally wanted to go with 123 but then I remembered [REDACTED] exists.

Kerrigan's dark gloves really blend into the background on the Leviathan so she ends up looking like she has no hands in some of the screenshots.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

665 uses of Essence

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Does the game try to justify Kerrigan in any way? Or is it all like, "She's the good guy, so everything she's doing is good."

In Warcraft 3, Arthas was straight up "falling into darkness", and the game was straight up calling him out on his actions (like slaughtering that village, or burning the ships and then killing the mercenaries).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kerrigan is her own justification, as far as the story’s concerned.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Kerrigan is her own justification, as far as the story’s concerned.

To be more specific; Zeratul's prophecy is a piece of paper with "I can do what I want" written on it as far as Kerrigan is concerned.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Kerrigan's past crimes, including the inexplicable 8 (?) billion casualties in WoL, have been wiped from the record after she got de-Zerged, because those were all the fault of the Overmind/Queen of Blades/vague concept of Corruption.

her present and future crimes, eh, I don't think anything she's done goes beyond the scope of generic RTS Player Faction stuff. There definitely hasn't been anything approaching the Culling of Stratholme. Well unless you count the culling of Haven, but Raynor did that and the game assured us it was a good call.

E: oh yeah, I forgot about the Prophecy. Everything Kerrigan does is actually cosmically cool, because something worse happens if she's stopped. Now that's storytelling!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 14, 2024

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

There are the same number of essences as Pokémon. 173

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

painedforever posted:

Does the game try to justify Kerrigan in any way?

No, the game very clearly calls Kerrigan a monster multiple times. This is all on her doing what she wants because she feels like it. There are a couple times where people are like "but that's wrong and hosed up!" and Kerrigan might feel a little sad about it sometimes, but otherwise just goes "yeah well you can't stop me soooooo gonna do it anyway"

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Octatonic posted:

There are the same number of essences as Pokémon. 1015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kith posted:

No, the game very clearly calls Kerrigan a monster multiple times. This is all on her doing what she wants because she feels like it. There are a couple times where people are like "but that's wrong and hosed up!" and Kerrigan might feel a little sad about it sometimes, but otherwise just goes "yeah well you can't stop me soooooo gonna do it anyway"

I feel like the game could have used maybe a few flashbacks to Kerrigan's Queen of Blades period to both illustrate how she was thinking/feeling during that period and how she feels about it now. Because as it stands she kind of feels like she's only in the... now, at any given point. There's no looking back or introspection going on. Just "hm, need to save Jim. Need to war crime to save Jim. War crime it is."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The poo poo Kerrigan gets up to isn't justified by the story, but also no one's in any position to hold her to account for it. Plenty of people will call her out as a monster, but they can't actually stop her in any meaningful way. Obviously none of her fellow zerg are going to give a poo poo about protoss civilians or whoever, and any of the other big players that might be able to give her pause know they need her alive.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

She's straight hosed if they ever figure out how to do total cloning and aim for a prophecy twist, though.

Hell, that could even make for a fun, morally ambiguous mission set: Kerrigan finds out one of the other factions is trying to make a clone of her for their own purposes, and goes on the war path just to ensure that she's the one and only Kerrigan.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Essence Essence Joy Joy

To the tune of the Ren and Stimpy song!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wedgekree posted:

Essence Essence Joy Joy

To the tune of the Ren and Stimpy song!

"Essence Essence Form Form Essence Essence Form Form" - the xel'naga as they merrily scatter abominations across the universe

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intermission 2

Abathur requested it. He wants to dissect her.

Abathur... :allears:

Actually, keep her alive for now. I might find a use for her.

>Examine Hatchery.

The Hive from before has broke free of the ice, and is now faintly moving.

She was intelligent, careful, and tenacious. But she made one mistake. She ran away.

>Talk to Izsha.

Those protoss would kill you if they could. They are not zerg, that means they are the enemy.

Is it really that simple.

For zerg, it is. Whatever my queen has lost, think what she has gained: Purity of essence. You are the will of the Swarm.

Essence count: 10

>Talk to Lasarra.

But it's fine, because Kerrigan is only doing Haven 2: Psionic Boogaloo so she can get back to killing Mengsk.

I justify nothing. There is no moral high ground here. Your people have killed billions of zerg. We are all covered in blood. There may be more on my hands than yours, but in the end we are both killers.

Ah yes, killing billions of ravenous animals puppeted by a hive mind that actively desires the consumption of your kind is totally equivalent to what we're doing here. This is such a morally gray situation!

The camera in the Evolution Pit will start to pull back as more units are added, which is neat.

>Talk to Abathur.

*distant agonized screaming*

At least put them out of their misery first.

Wasted effort. Creatures will die soon. Pain irrelevant.

Oh that Abathur, what a lovable scamp!

When you say things like that Abathur... I almost remember you and I feel... anger.

Anger product of adrenaline, stress-response, imminent threat. No threat to you. No anger.

I'll be the judge of that.

>Examine Roach.

The Roach can pick between +8 damage vs Light, +3 armor when under half health, and the ability to move while burrowed + a boost to burrowed regen speed. I go with the attack boost.

Now to see what Kerrigan can do.

As you grow in power, newer and stronger abilities will awaken. You can alter your active abilities here, whenever you wish.

On top of getting more stats with each level, Kerrigan unlocks new tiers of abilities at fixed intervals, with each tier having two choices. As it stands, I can swap Kinetic Blast for Heroic Fortitude (+200 life, +100% regen speed) and Crushing Grip for Chain Reaction (Normal attacks bounce to 4 other enemies, dealing 10 damage each).

Chain Reaction is part of a strong build later, but Heroic Fortitude runs into the Vanadium Plating issue of boosting lethality being a far better way to improve survivability. I stick with both default abilities for now.

Back to Kerrigan's extermination of a bunch of innocent colonists.

They are preparing to send shuttles through their warp network to Shakuras!

But it unlocks a new toy for the Zerglings, so it can't be that bad!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like the game could have used maybe a few flashbacks to Kerrigan's Queen of Blades period to both illustrate how she was thinking/feeling during that period and how she feels about it now. Because as it stands she kind of feels like she's only in the... now, at any given point. There's no looking back or introspection going on. Just "hm, need to save Jim. Need to war crime to save Jim. War crime it is."

It's interesting how one-dimensional she is. If she didn't have the history that she does from previous games, I would almost say it's good. She's unapologetically a slave to her own ego and other characters have to actively fight to get through to her. Even when they manage to succeed, it rarely leaves much (if any) of an impact because she just doesn't care. It doesn't align with what she wants, so why bother spending more than a few moments considering it?

Unfortunately, all of this comes after a strong and memorable characterization that's almost completely the opposite. The Queen of Blades could strategize and plan and manipulate, but Swarm Kerrigan just does what she wants because gently caress you, might makes right, survival of the strongest, your puny protests mean nothing to me, here's a half-considered justification if I absolutely have to humor you.

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 14, 2024

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

I justify nothing. There is no moral high ground here.

See, if she had stopped talking here, or focused on her own survival for the sake of her revenge or something like that, it would have been much better. But no, she's trying to pretend the Zerg are in any way sympathetic.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

That line about the Protoss killing Zerg is one of the funniest lines in all three campaigns and I fondly remember bursting out laughing that they said it with a straight face.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

RevolverDivider posted:

That line about the Protoss killing Zerg is one of the funniest lines in all three campaigns and I fondly remember bursting out laughing that they said it with a straight face.

Boy, Sarah, if you think the Protoss are bad, wait til you hear what kind of warcrimes ya boy Jimmy did to that peaceful zerg colony on Haven.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Octatonic posted:

There are the same number of essences as Pokémon while HotS was in development. 649

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

quote:

She was intelligent, careful, and tenacious. But she made one mistake. She ran away.

This is a really excellent line. Kerrigan just projects herself onto a Swarm Queen, extrapolating from the situation that what she's decided she has to do with Mengsk really is the only path, and it makes complete sense for her character to do that. I really wish she'd started this game off just wanting to walk away from everything, it would make so much more sense.

quote:

I justify nothing. There is no moral high ground here. Your people have killed billions of zerg. We are all covered in blood. There may be more on my hands than yours, but in the end we are both killers.

This one on the other hand... it's a line that's easy to mock, but it's also the sentiment that this game was clearly built from the ground up in an attempt to prove. It's just that there's nothing at this point to even attempt to hold it up.

Kerrigan has no reason to care about Zerg lives. She's happy to throw them into the meat grinder to get what she wants, and why shouldn't she be? As the player, WE have no reason to care about Zerg lives. Yes, WoL planted the idea that they're being used and have been since the start. Yes, this game showed them in a minor sympathetic life by showing them enthusiastically wanting to help Kerrigan, their beloved queen, whether they're intelligent or not. But mechanically they're designed to be disposable and plot-wise they've pretty much only ever been a plague of locusts on the galaxy when left to their own devices and an apocalyptic weapon when controlled by someone else. Hell, even just in this game we have that little psycho Abathur and before that we had a Swarm Queen cheering on the order to slaughter every Terran to the last man!

I think there are ways to make this conversation work. For example, instead of pointing at the Zerg, she could have mentioned Tassadar, and how her people sent him to exterminate humanity to keep the Zerg in check. The Protoss are covered in blood because they're fundamentally THE SAME as the Zerg, a species of super-predators who don't hesitate to kill when it serves their interests and only rarely even pretend that they think other species aren't beneath them.

Another possibility might have been to put even greater emphasis on Nafash. Establish that when Kerrigan became human and the Zerg split into factions, she came to this inhospitable ball of ice where almost nothing could survive to protect herself and her swarm. She didn't want to fight the others for dominance, and was completely happy to eke out a quiet existence in a place nobody else could possibly want until someone rose as the new Queen and she could rejoin them, or the heat death of the universe arrived, whichever came first. Then the Protoss came looking to do a little terraforming experiment, found a hive, a struck without hesitation or mercy. They could have moved on, done their work on some other iceball. They could have taken note that when they attacked, the Zerg fled rather than holding their ground, and wondered if maybe something was different about this hive. Maybe without the hated Queen of Blades, whatever entity was running it could be reasoned with. Maybe the Zerg were nothing more than animals without their leader, able to be contained rather than exterminated. But why would they bother with thoughts like that? Better to just kill them all.

I dunno. God, this game can be depressing with how bad it is.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

42 essences, because someone has to. Even though we're clearly going to blow past that number in no time.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

bladededge posted:

The whole ESSENCE! thing attaches literal and mechanical meaning to something that was originally more of a metaphorical, philosophical concept. I find this annoying because you're taking something with nuance and removing that nuance.

In the SC1 background, the creators of the Protoss deemed their creation to have 'purity of form', but they were weak on 'purity of essence', which the second creation, the Zerg, apparently succeeded on. Part of the Overmind's general goal in hunting and attacking the Protoss was to finish what his creators started and become complete by taking the protoss into himself. Psionics are somehow part of this, which is why the terran psi potential (esp. Kerrigan) were interesting to him/them, driving the original push into terran space.

That's all interesting. What is 'purity of essence' or 'purity of form' exactly? We can speculate! It opens up something you can think about.

Little did Big O know that all he needed to do was just gank some Protoss raiding parties and collect their pickups, would have made the Zerg's lives easier

We will get to that. It will not be satisfying.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Torchlighter posted:

We will get to that. It will not be satisfying.

SC2.txt

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I don't know what SC2 says about purity of form and essence, but here's the SC1 manual

quote:

Driven to perfect their science of
proto-genetic evolution, the
ancient, enigmatic race known as
the Xel’Naga traveled to the distant fringe-
world of Aiur. The vast jungles of Aiur had
produced the most advanced race that the
Xel’Naga had ever seen. Believing that they
could steer the race’s evolution to the pinnacle
of physical perfection, the Xel’Naga began to
conduct their proto-genetic experiments. The
race that the Xel’Naga would eventually name
‘Protoss’ advanced rapidly and gained what
their creators termed ‘a distinct purity of form’.
Unfortunately, the Xel’Naga pushed their
experiment too far. The inherent essence and
sentience of the Protoss developed far too
rapidly, leading to bitter strife and division
between them and their creators. The Xel’Naga
deemed that the purity of form they sought to
create had been sullied by a conflict of essence
and thus decreed that the Protoss were, in fact,
a failed creation. The Xel’Naga abandoned
their children and launched themselves into
the void.

quote:

The Xel’Naga planned to continue
their Grand Experiment of evolution, only this
time they dismissed their tenets of physical
form and focused chiefly on the pursuit of a
distinct purity of essence.

quote:

As the Zerg incorporated more and more
host creatures into their fold, they began to
assimilate their various genetic strains and
processes. Zerg chemistry began to mutate and
adapt according to the volume of new genetic
material being processed. However, as diverse
as the range of host creatures became, there
was always the undeviating drive to consume
only the most evolutionarily advanced species
encountered. The Zerg were innately selective
as to which species they consumed, ensuring
that at every stage of their development they
were at the top of the proverbial food chain.
Any race that the Zerg came across that was
deemed unworthy of assimilation was
eradicated to further purify the strains.

quote:

Over a
surprisingly short amount of time, the strains
grew to resemble a terrifyingly ravenous and
unified race.

quote:

The Xel’Naga, remembering all too well that
their failure with the Protoss was a result of
pushing the sentience of the fledgling species
too quickly, decided to follow a different path
with the burgeoning Zerg. Attempting to
waylay the potential hazards of differing egos,
the Xel’Naga structured the collective
sentience of the Zerg into a unified,
amalgamated ‘Overmind’. The Overmind
coalesced into a semi-sentient being that
represented the primary drives and instincts
of all of the Zerg strains. As time passed, the
Overmind developed the rudiments of
personality and advanced intellect.

quote:

A bunch of stuff about how the Overmind controls Cerebrates who control Queens and Overlords, with each tier being completely under the control of the one above. There is no division amongst the race, either in group or by individuals

quote:

The inclusion of super-dense hides
and the ability to exist in a vacuum bolstered
the genetic pool of the swarm. Soon the Zerg
warriors were conditioned to survive the
harshness of space.
This pivotal moment in the development of
the Zerg was not lost to the Xel’Naga. The Zerg,
despite having an extreme physical handicap,
had succeeded in not only surviving, but in
retaining the purity of their terrible overriding
essence. The Xel’Naga knew that they had
achieved their goal.

quote:

Through dissecting the memories of the
Xel’Naga, the Overmind was made aware of
the myriad races that had at one time or
another been influenced by the ancient race.
The Xel’Naga had kept a detailed genetic
history of each race, giving the Overmind a
clear understanding of their respective
strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly,
the Overmind learned of an exceedingly
powerful race that lived near the galaxy’s fringe
known only as the Protoss. The Overmind
knew then that the Protoss and the Zerg would
eventually be caught in an inevitable,
apocalyptic conflict.

quote:

Despite innumerable victories, the
Overmind was greatly disturbed. The
Overmind was aware that the Protoss had
become a highly psionic race, able to bend
and warp the very fabric of reality to their
whims. It sought a way to counter the
awesome might of the Protoss, but found no
answers among the genetic strains it devoured.

quote:

Obsessed with
fashioning the perfect life-form, the Xel’Naga
labored to create a creature that would be
defined by a distinct purity of form. For
thousands of years they carefully steered the
delicate evolutionary processes of their
budding species. Although their protracted
experiments produced many intriguing
deviants and mutations, the races that the
Xel’Naga cultivated always fell short of their
enormous expectations. Despairing at last, the
Xel’Naga focused their frustrated efforts on the
most promising of their engineered worlds.
Aiur, a massive jungle-world on the galaxy’s
fringe, had borne a race of highly advanced
beings. These beings were incredibly
adaptable to harsh natural conditions and
climates. Their strength and speed were
unparalleled amongst the other races known
to the Xel’Naga. The race had even developed
a rudimentary tribal society based upon group-
hunting and warrior rule. However, their most
distinct aspect was that they communicated
with each other through a very complex
method of instinctive telepathy, allowing them
to operate communally with striking efficiency.

quote:

As their
understanding and personal awareness grew,
the Protoss became exceedingly proud and
began to see more value in personal
achievements than communal advancement.
The more successful Tribes began to isolate
themselves from one another, each seeking to
define their own roles, not only within their
immediate society, but within the greater
universe as well. As the Tribes grew further
and further apart, the Xel’Naga reeled in
frustration. They speculated that perhaps they
had pushed the evolution of the Protoss too
far, marring the purity of their creation. Many
Xel’Naga believed that the Protoss had lost
their greatest strengths, as individual egos
arose to overpower the once primary
communal link.

quote:

Attempting to completely sever themselves
from the rest of their race, the Tribes began to
lose the connection to their primal psychic
link. This breakdown in the inherent empathy
of the Protoss for one another did the most to
dissolve the last remnants of unity and
brotherhood amongst them. The severing of
the psychic link was also the greatest sign, to
the Xel’Naga, that the Protoss had tragically
lost the most fundamental element of their
greatness.

The Xel'naga seemed to be looking for a species that was good at survival as a race, and focused on survival as a race.

The Protoss with the 'purity of form' seemed promising, because they were strong, fast, intelligent, adaptable and communal thanks to their telepathic link. Except they developed individual egos and fractured- putting their small individual worries ahead of the species' development as a whole.

The Xel'naga not only abandoned the Protoss, but the tenets of 'purity of form'. (Not, we'll combine the two for something awesome! but straight up "that didn't work, it's dumb, we'll try something else that corrects for it's failings").

(In fact, the Protoss stop being described as pure of form, once the Xel'naga no longer care about that. It's a defunct, obsolete descriptor. When the Overmind learns of their existence, it goes "oh, they are strong" not "oh they are pure of form")

The Zerg had purity of essence, because they could incorporate other genetics into themselves and still remain Zerg and still remain united. Even then the Xel'naga had to intentionally guide the creation of the Overmind to make sure the Zerg didn't start in-fighting.

In fact, the Xel'naga suceeded with their goal of creating the ultimate lifeform- the Zerg. Incorporating the Protoss just enhances their strength so of course the Overmind wants to do that, but fusing the two is not the whole goal of the Xel'naga's experiment.

Overmind's interest in the Protoss seemed to be quite utilitarian if anything- it recognized they were a great threat and wanted a way to beat them.

So, at least here, a Protoss/Zerg Hybrid is not really an equal combination, nor an endpoint in itself.

It's a Zerg that has been eating its eggs n' oats and gotten swole- but will continue to evolve, refine and incorporate as needed.

Purity of form is just 'is an apex predator/top of the food chain' kind of thing. It was insufficient.

Purity of essence is the ability for the species to remain focused on propagating the species, without fracturing into competition. The Zerg were a success and the Protoss were a failure because the Zerg could take up whatever Form needed, without losing their Zergyness. So again it's not "form + essence = awesome", it's "form is irrelevant, essence is all".

Essence is also not a synonym for genetics as Abathur seems to use it as, it's just the survival drive. Zerg have purity of essence because they are nothing but the survival drive.

Again I dunno what SC2 does, but I'm guessing, even just based on what we saw in WoL, it's... not this.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 14, 2024

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Based on all previous zerg behavior it is most likely that when the protoss showed up and started examining the ice planet the zerg there instantly attacked them, as usual, and the zerg only "fled" when they were driven back. Not like the local queen standing her ground would have changed ANYTHING if the protoss vastly outgunned her but the way Kerrigan goes on about it you'd think the protoss had slowly tortured her to death for sport and not just shot her like any other zerg. The pretentious nonsensical trash Kerrigan spouts will only get worse.

Hasn't the vast majority of zerg the protoss have killed so far has involved the freaking invasion of Aiur?

Kerrigan is the one who can just leave. She has the roach, and by the next mission unit unlocked hint the hydra, and can just leave at any point. Even if the magically conjured out of nowhere Golden Armada is summoned she'll be long gone before they can show up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yeah, this entire thing is so mishandled, Kerrigan lurches wildly from regarding the Swarm as a tool, to considering them equal beings, and it's hard to tell if it's bad writing, her being unstable as gently caress or her just conjuring up flimsy excuses to make her morally equivalent(or superior) to the people she's murdering for her own benefit.

I mean, gently caress, again, it would've been a great moment to like... add some depth of some sort. Have Abathur encourage various war crimes for the sake of collecting more genetic toys for him to play with, have Kerrigan be unsure about it, seeing the pragmatic perspective but not wanting to become the Queen of Warcrimes again. She tries to negotiate in some way, "hey Protoss colony folks, how about letting me abscond with this hive without any bullshit? Please?" and the Protoss go: "Rar! Kerrigan! You hosed our poo poo up, prepare to die!" Abathur goes: "See I told you so. I am very intelligent." Kerrigan grudgingly accepts that she'll have to kill these folks to continue her mission now that they're out for her blood.

A great moment to tell or show us how Kerrigan loving feels.

Like, hell, even the bridge is kind of useless for that due to how... static and un-dynamic everything is portrayed. We don't really see how she interacts with the common creatures of the Swarm. Does she actually care about them? Is she treating the Zerglings like puppies and throwing protoss limbs for them to fetch? Are they tools to her and she's using one of them as a footstool while Abathur codes a biological TV for her to watch daytime Dominion talk shows on?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh also I did just remember that the Protoss in the last mission were using Scouts so basically they deserved to lose that one. I didn't even know there was a Scout model in SC2.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

the crazy part is that they didn't have to pull any "the protoss have killed billions of zerg and their blood is on your hands" bullshit here, there's more than enough justification in this single line of dialogue

A random researcher who has been captured and is entirely at Kerrigan's mercy isn't even considering the option of just letting her go about her business in peace, and says outright that they will do anything in their power to kill her. Just make her go "yes, duh," and then perhaps have her agonize about it if you want her to be unhappy about it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

aniviron posted:

Oh also I did just remember that the Protoss in the last mission were using Scouts so basically they deserved to lose that one. I didn't even know there was a Scout model in SC2.

The Tal'darim in WoL had Scouts too. Not sure why they kept putting Scouts in enemy compositions when their SC2 replacement has been around this whole time. Are phoenixes just that unfun to play against in single player?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Nah, it's because Scouts are the perfect unit for when you want to pressure your player with an air threat, but like... only a little.

"Get anti-air sometime within the next hour, until then grr we're totally attacking you!!"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
:siren: Important lore update :siren:

Protoss canonically have belly buttons!

(I actually really dislike how their design changed between games to be less reptilian...)

BisbyWorl posted:

Ah yes, killing billions of ravenous animals puppeted by a hive mind that actively desires the consumption of your kind is totally equivalent to what we're doing here. This is such a morally gray situation!

This is the other line I mentioned way back near the beginning of the LP. Kerrigan, bad news, there are whole Zerg strains that exist to be suicide bombers! Did you get rid of those, are you going to refrain from using those, or...?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

GunnerJ posted:

Kerrigan, bad news, there are whole Zerg strains that exist to be suicide bombers!

do you mean like Archons

I think a lot of people are misreading Kerrigan's line here. she literally says she justifies nothing - Kerrigan's intent is solely to puncture Lasarra's hypocrisy. she's not actually concerned about dead zergs (zergs are not concerned about dead zergs in general - as noted above by Mazerunner, zergs think in terms of preserving the species as a whole)

whole lotta slave morality itt

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If she didn't want to justify anything, she would have just stopped at saying "There is no moral high ground here." That she keeps going sure makes it seem like actually she wants to justify something, and "you're just as bad as me" is something people say to justify their actions! (Also she doesn't call out the Archon anyway so.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tenebrais posted:

Are phoenixes just that unfun to play against in single player?

I think the campaigns keep using them because phoenixes can only attack air units (without their special trick and I'm not sure that was even in the game prior to Legacy), making them harmless if the player chooses not to make air units. Air units that the player may not even have, as seen here.

Scouts fit the bill of an air unit that can attack both air and ground and are less threatening than a void ray or carrier.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cythereal posted:

I think the campaigns keep using them because phoenixes can only attack air units (without their special trick and I'm not sure that was even in the game prior to Legacy), making them harmless if the player chooses not to make air units. Air units that the player may not even have, as seen here.

Nah they still have Graviton Beam. I used it to cheese the hell out of Hybrids during In Utter Darkness.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Kerrigan doesn't say Lasarra is as bad as her, she specifically says she is worse - there is more blood on her hands than Lasarra's. you should just read what the line says instead of imagining what it might say. not trying to pick on you, the whole thread is misunderstanding the line (tellingly - conflating morality with sympathy)

Lasarra's argument is that Kerrigan is bad because it is wrong to kill other people (even to save your own life). Kerrigan's response is that Lasarra's argument is weak because she and the protoss also kill other people (for other, even less glamorous reasons)

that's it. that's all there is to it. there's nothing about how Kerrigan is actually good, or the protoss are bad, or all zergs are precious, or whatever else the thread has made up. Blizzard doesn't need to develop this further because they can't: Lasarra's only recourse is chauvinism (it's ok to kill zergs because we don't like them) which lacks appeal, to both Kerrigan and audiences

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
If I'm correct, in every sc2 campaign, enemy units don't use abilities. Stalkers don't blink, marines don't stim, etc. Unless they are units which cannot attack and only use abilities, but I'm unsure about those too. So no phoenixes cause they'll only be able to attack air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Can you beat the campaigns without making overlords? :v: