Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

:bubblewoop::bubblewoop: OLD MAN MOZZ'S REIGN OF TERROR HAS ENDED!! HAPPY FREEDOM DAY, THREAD!! :bubblewoop::bubblewoop:

Luann

Gil Thorp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Credit where it's due,I'm really liking the reveal/twist that Bets is loving miserable with all the stuff she gave up to be with boring-rear end Gunther, I hope this leads to a for-reals breakup.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I usually think Curtis is a boring strip and don’t bother with the non-kwanza stories but this one I found really funny because he’s describing my experience watching movies with my son.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Pancho Jueves posted:

I know trying to make sense of Overboard's art is a fool's errand, but I can't come up with even the slightest plausible reason for drawing a right whale like that. They just don't have a ring in the slightest!

Here's a horrible thought: what if he were trying to draw gills?

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Is this the closest Amelia's ever gotten to giving Spud a genuine compliment?

catlord posted:

I have to admit that Little Lefty lost me with the sea monster, but I do kinda appreciate him as a sports commentator?
I'd appreciate him more if he weren't another one of the characters that the artist draws in every second panel with the same smug shut-eyed smirk, which I think became omnipresent around the time the girls were trying to pry some sort of secret out of the big kid. Drives me up the wall almost as bad as Foxtrot's randomly extruded tongues and Foob's literally everything.

Some Guy TT posted:

So funny story, almost. By sheer dumb coincidence, I kiiind of ended up going through similar stuff as Planck while I was translating this. And believe me, the constant reminder of "remember what Planck did? Don't do what Planck did" was borderline therapeutic in getting through all that.
You took a baseball to the dome to regain the love of another?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 16, 1910)spoilered for the usual

Baron Bean(January 15, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals()

No strip for Saturday December 14, 1912

Gasoline Alley(September 3, 1919)

Us Boys(October 3 1911)

Krazy Kat(November 8, 1913)

Scaled down to half size.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

It..it's over. :aaa:

What do you mean "new story"? There's still more prophecy to be told, retold, and then turn out to be meaningless!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

:
The Phantom

....oh for gently caress's sake!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I still don't understand why the prophecy got derailed (or did it?) except that Phantom kind of... decided that it did. Something to do with Kit Jr. deciding to come home at the same time as Mozz started telling the prophecy, I think? Yeah, I don't get it.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

I still don't understand why the prophecy got derailed (or did it?) except that Phantom kind of... decided that it did. Something to do with Kit Jr. deciding to come home at the same time as Mozz started telling the prophecy, I think? Yeah, I don't get it.

I think I can help. You see, it started with... *opens Mozz's chronicle*

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Well, that sucked.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: From Rufus With Love

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

loving Legolas! :argh:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Memories of my youth when many of our family drinking glasses were the little glass jars Hormel dried beef came in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

lol this stuff is excellent.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, Mexikid Stories are nice.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/25-27/52

Archie 4/4-6/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/18-20/76

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Memories of my youth when many of our family drinking glasses were the little glass jars Hormel dried beef came in.

Mine, too.

Before that Mom collected glasses that Penn Maid sour cream came in. Tumblers and pints! Still have a number of them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The joke for this feels kind of ruined by having Ziggy ask it with a smile. He should be dejected, like he's spent hours searching for Where's Waldo and just not had any luck at all.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Further undermining the moral of the muffin pyramid scheme arc- the reminder that the demand for muffins was higher than the supply Heart could sell on her own, which was the whole reason why she started subcontracting in the first place. Yes, I am still mad that Heart of the City implied that all forms of franchisee licensing are pyramid schemes.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 14, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Archie 4/4-6/49

I've learned a new vocabulary word today.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 1-3, 2005)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Here Comes Gothy!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Mozz is gonna show up in a week with a newspaper under his arm and Phantom will chase him out of the cave, firing wildly Yosemite Sam style

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, March 1-3, 1983

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wow what a pointless last few years of phantom :3

okay sivana blowing up the jail was p cool but the rest ehhhhh

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

I wonder if there was bad air in the cave.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The locals are all pale and weird colored from anemia

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 10, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Zippy The Pinhead

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Holy poo poo, a new Phantom story? For real?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

some people complain about Tinkersons for the art and yeah it's not great but it's very good-hearted which is refreshing to see in a comic landscape with things like Dustin in it and strips like this one really exemplify that and it's not amazing it's not something I laughed at and it's not something I'd share with people and say look at this comic but it just has heart and I like it for that

like it does so many ome gizmo strips but in a good way and also realistically has the adults also staring at the cell phones all the time so it doesn't seem mean-spirited about it

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

catlord posted:

Holy poo poo, a new Phantom story? For real?

Oh Ghost Who Walks! I, Mozz, have a NEW prophecy!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We talk about "show don't tell" and some comics really suffer from it, but I think Monty makes good use of things happening off-panel for the classic beat between setup and punchline. Mainly because the punchline is still on-screen.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 16, 1977)

Crankshaft

Li'l Abner (August 22-24, 1935)

'

Thimble Theater (August 18, 1940)

Popeye

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Adbot