Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Piell posted:

Big chain restaurants are near universally going to be cleaner than mom and pop restaurants and you're far likelier to get sick from the latter

Yeah, I've never gotten food poisoning from a McDonald's or a Popeyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Platystemon posted:

They’re not doing, like, uranium enrichment in veggieburger factories. They’re mixing together a bunch of commodity ingredients. It doesn’t really matter that there are a lot of them.

By far the biggest land and energy use is in growing and handling the bulk foodstuffs, whether it’s beef or beans or pea protein. Adding sea salt or ascorbic acid (vitamin C) doesn’t really move the needle.

and let's not forget thanks to our old friend tropicana levels it's going to be massively more efficient to eat any veggie burger, no matter the frankensoy used to create it, than it would be to eat beef. The vast majority of the calories that goes into the cow goes to keeping the cow alive, rather than to making more beef. If we lose 90% of the energy to raise cows, we could either grow only 10% of the grain and use it for veggie burgs, or make 90% more burgs with the same amount of resources.

In short, if you like any other blood-curdled american only care about maximizing :burger: then veganism is the only choice.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

My Spirit Otter posted:

my objection is the amount of energy, time, logistics, and dedicated machinery required to process all of those things into something usable, and the waste generated by the various processes. between the meat-free options, the black bean burger requires far less ingredients and has far less of an impact on the planet. corporate commercial kitchens are disgustingly large. they have gigantic foot prints, stupid amounts of electronics, stainless steel everything, tons of vehicular traffic. not to mention the wanton use of cleaning chemicals. i am not saying a hygienic kitchen is a bad thing, but mom and pop shops are doing the same thing with way less chemical cleaners and have way less space to clean. you also don't have to worry about mom and pop shops skimping on facility maintenance to keep costs down leading to a nice e. coli or legionnaire's disease outbreak.

literally anything is better than meat, and as others have pointed out, you need all the same poo poo for meat, so switching to the most complex veggieburg ever conceived made of every plant ever discovered would still be a massive gain. And hey, if you happen to like black bean burgs, that's even better.

Also you're underestimating how much it takes to make a decent black bean burg:

2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup (100g) finely chopped bell pepper (1/2 of a pepper)
1 cup (130g) finely chopped yellow onion (1/2 of a large onion)
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup (60g) bread crumbs or oat flour
1/2 cup (70g) feta cheese (skip if vegan)
2 large eggs (see note for vegan substitution)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (see note for vegan & vegetarian version)
2 Tablespoons ketchup, mayo, or BBQ sauce
pinch salt + pepper

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I'll just stick to eating bugs thank you very much

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
You missed the vegan egg substitution (it's cum)

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I like the Beyond chicken nuggets, but they're so expensive

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PhazonLink posted:

not to give the tiniest grain of salt, but I do think there's some weirdness / too much time and energy being put into making facsimiles of animal meat that are plant based products that are factory products that require refrigeration.

Imagine facsimile chowder.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Heath posted:

Beyond Burgers are kind of weird though

They taste different than beef but they're close enough that i wouldn't be bothered if they became the standard

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have an analogy that will make everyone unhappy:

Beyond Meat is the electric car of burgers.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes, they are noticeably worse cold.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Improbable Lobster posted:

They taste different than beef but they're close enough that i wouldn't be bothered if they became the standard

They make my insides a little…ineffective at absorbing water from my food, but maybe that would go away if I ate more of them?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Bro that's PUSiSiY

Don't make fun of my speech impediment! god dammit I meant sulphur. :eng99:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

grittyreboot posted:

I like the Beyond chicken nuggets, but they're so expensive

yeah I would absolutely prefer all these foods if they weren't so loving expensive, they're 3-4 times the cost of comparable amounts of beef or chicken or pork

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i mean it's a matter of economics of sale, and the massive stupid subsidies we give to the meat industry at all levels. so all we need is an honest politician looking out for the interests of society as a whole even if it causes conflict with a powerful, entrenched, and moneyed lobbying industry that's become a norm to maintain.

In short, we need donald trump 2024 to save the planet in the hopes that he'll do it by accident. can we make meat gay and soy?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Eh, there's just something in the Beyond formula that I just don't like the taste of. The Impossible fake meat products are pretty good, though. Still noticeably not meat, but close enough.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
human pet guy what the gently caress

:nws: :nms: :stonk: :staredog: :stonk: :nms: :nws:

https://twitter.com/I_Am_CyberSmith/status/1746348157963845880

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

There's a brand I bought often in the UK: Quorn. It's basically meat substitute made from mycoprotein and tastes great. Not too expensive either. Scale that up so it's cheaper and I'll eat it whenever no problem. Shrooms are where it's at

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Viscous Soda posted:

Eh, there's just something in the Beyond formula that I just don't like the taste of. The Impossible fake meat products are pretty good, though. Still noticeably not meat, but close enough.

The impossible nuggets are basically the same as McDonald's nuggets.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I ate some impossible nuggets earlier today. I’m an unrepentant meat eater but I’d be fine if these completely replaced chicken nuggets forever. They’re perfect in the air fryer.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Diarrhea Forever went hard at last year’s FYA Fest. Greatest shitcore band for my money.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Diarrhea Forever went hard at last year’s FYA Fest. Greatest shitcore band for my money.

This is Cruelty Squad dialogue

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

for anyone else who doesn't know what's going on, ozempic is apparently a new diabetes medication that folks have been using for weight loss and i guess it can give you major tummy troubles

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i love cyber smith

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

this guy has someone chained up in his basement. call the fbi

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I feel a sense of despair and dread

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Bro that's PUSiSiY

this mf said PUSiSiY

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Lazy_Liberal posted:

for anyone else who doesn't know what's going on, ozempic is apparently a new diabetes medication that folks have been using for weight loss and i guess it can give you major tummy troubles

Oh-oh-oh, oh-zempic

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
didnt even know ur stomach could get paralysed

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just gotta monetize that poo somehow and there ya go.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
hope it happens to musk

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kirbysuperstar posted:

hope it happens to musk

He already has constant verbal diarrhea!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Ziv Zulander posted:

Oh-oh-oh, oh-zempic

Auto parts?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Panfilo posted:

Guy makes a genuine apology, and chuds aren't having it.
https://twitter.com/CurmudgeonRPG/status/1746062876647784738?t=oNo1M_Z0sqbsecFecBYi5g&s=19
Someone else in the comments made a good point about conservatives and apologies-they think an apology is a form of damage control, nobody can be genuinely contrite so by saying you're sorry you're admitting weakness. Having compassion for people you might have hurt is unthinkable because it's all a power struggle to them and to be genuinely contrite gives the aggrieved party all the power. They also think it's a slippery slope and you'll concede whatever credibility you had at that point since they think you'll get hammered by everything under the sun. It's cancel culture philosophy.

Who is Ed Greenwood and what did he do?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Samovar posted:

It looks like he's in trouble for allying himself with Sauron.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Samovar posted:

he invented the most popular D&D world, i.e. the BG3 one

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

He’s a guitarist in Radiohead op

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

It looks like he's in trouble for allying himself with Sauron.

I mean yeah, Elminster was his OC. He looks like a wizard for a reason.

Apparently he retweeted something about some RPG kickstarter and didn't read it very well and it's chuddy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Samovar posted:

Guy who more or less invented the Forgotten Realms D&D setting, then sold it off with a contractual agreement that his superpowerful OC in the setting(the one that's canonically immortal, loving several goddesses, protected by twenty gods, has his own space station, and travels to Earth to drink beer with Ed Greenwood and talk about baseball, etc. you know the drill) wasn't ever allowed to have a bad day and had to be cool forever. His writings tend to be greasy "horny old sci-fi/fantasy writer"-stuff. Not fundamentally offensive just... not good.

What he did this time was praising some of the most obvious "WE NEED TO BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS BEFORE PEOPLE WERE RESPECTFUL TO EACH OTHER AND HAD FEELINGS"-trash I've seen in a while:

For example, the person he praises here posts stuff like:

https://twitter.com/ryantylerpalmer/status/1746462148417437856

quote:

SJWs have had me on their whisper list for years. They want us gone. Tried to cancel my editor for a retweet of my statement against corporate shoehorn gimmick and uninspired pander marketing.

I'm not going anywhere bitches.

So personally I kind of don't buy that Greenwood had no idea what he was supporting, considering how open this guy is about what he is, I think the apology's just damage control. But I'll admit to being cynical, not psychic enough to look into his heart of hearts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ed Greenwood is old enough and doesn't have enough general influence that I don't really care that much if he has terrible opinions. And Elminster was a woman for a while so I think in a general sense he's probably okay with the concept LGBTQ+ people. I sorta buy the whole "sorry, I didn't read the tweet I retweeted" apology

Also just lol about being upset about "bisexuality X-Men." It just tells me you haven't read, or have hated, the X-Men since the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Viscous Soda posted:

One thing I've noticed from trying several meat alternatives on the market is that it varies a lot from person to person which version tastes good and which doesn't. There's one brand that tastes completely fine, but the smell before cooking makes me retch. Usually it's the texture I have issues with, a lot of them feel rubbery. We've found a few that work well, especially in chili were the difference in taste is really negligible.