Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

General Dog posted:

2015 Kansas

Also from this article looks like we have an 0-12 season from Duke in 2006 and a number of 0-11 campaigns from them in the 80s and 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_college_football_winless_seasons

Man, Northwestern was one game away from a four year winless streak, but for a 27–22 victory over Wyoming in 1979. That's beyond putrid. How did Northwestern's program survive the 70's and 80's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/Cameron7Ward/status/1746321423218483711

Good for miami

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What does Pitbull need with a quarterback?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Didn't he say he was entering the draft like two weeks ago?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ya

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Somebody probably told him he was a second round pick.

Hence, by not hiring an agent, he went to Miami.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This was pretty funny on the national championship celebration:

https://twitter.com/ByAZuniga/status/1746329076779176026?t=dzCzCOC8MWvdsousOoMUsw&s=19

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://x.com/umgoblog/status/1746334268412838328?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

https://x.com/bluebyninety/status/1746334246539530464?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

https://x.com/um_wolvereddit/status/1746333939848130600?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

https://x.com/byazuniga/status/1746333358190461063?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Gonz posted:

Somebody probably told him he was a second round pick.

Hence, by not hiring an agent, he went to Miami.

Seems like a good way to get some NIL money while not improving your own development or draft stock.

NJM
Jan 3, 2020

The best part of the celebration is it preempted the OSU hockey game so Harbaugh could do the St Crispin's Day speech

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

https://x.com/nocontextcfb/status/1746245494429413786

The dedication to having the guy take his shoes off before the video starts really is something.

Hey Role Tahd

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Shameful

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want to make a joke about that tweet but my school's band is in no position to throw stones after the last few years.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I want to make a joke about that tweet but my school's band is in no position to throw stones after the last few years.

What happened with the schism of "One Band doesn't play choo choo song" and "A new band that does play choo choo song" or did money force them back together choo-choo'ing?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This probably qualifies as the Judas kiss, but I think “Eyes of Texas” is a pretty good song and the case for it having any meaningful racial connotations in 2020-whatever is pretty weak.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

he's from south dakota, cowboy culture would dictate he's probably at least had some sort of ground hominy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

This probably qualifies as the Judas kiss, but I think “Eyes of Texas” is a pretty good song and the case for it having any meaningful racial connotations in 2020-whatever is pretty weak.

buddy its literally I've Been Working On The Railroad, its not a good song its a nursery rhyme

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Alaois posted:

buddy its literally I've Been Working On The Railroad, its not a good song its a nursery rhyme

considering that's a level of education most texans never obtain, how would they be expected to know that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*general dog listening to Turkey in the Straw*

drat this is kinda a lowkey banger

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Alaois posted:

*general dog listening to Turkey in the Straw*

drat this is kinda a lowkey banger

*next track is Camptown Races*

Only thing missing from this track is a Robert E Lee quote in the lyrics

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
The Camp-town ladies?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Warbird posted:

https://x.com/nocontextcfb/status/1746245494429413786

The dedication to having the guy take his shoes off before the video starts really is something.

Youre telling me alabamians wear shoes now

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Homeboy should transfer to A&M with that weak sauce material. Get him a pair of overalls and get him on that midnight yell squad.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Spacemonkey57 posted:

The Camp-town ladies?

Hwat in the wide wide world of sports is a-goin’ on here?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Maxwells Demon posted:

What happened with the schism of "One Band doesn't play choo choo song" and "A new band that does play choo choo song" or did money force them back together choo-choo'ing?

I'm actually not sure what happened with that, and I've talked to a lot of band people since then. As far as I can tell they got forced back together. They still play the Eyes, and pretty much all protesting on the matter has ceased entirely.

I do know that the new band director has been putting a lot of focus on fundraising and PR events, and that NOBODY is saying anything nice about the previous director anymore, which, uhh... leads me to suspect he got let go for something WAY worse than I initially thought, although sadly I don't have any solid deets on that. The rumor I did hear about it is pretty loving bad though, like so bad that the music school, athletic department, et al are actually trying to keep a lid on it.

General Dog posted:

I'm obviously not affected enough by it for my opinion on the subject to matter, but... yeah, this is kinda where I'm at with it too. I feel like the controversy over the Eyes was largely an overblown knee-jerk reaction in the midst of the George Floyd protests, and that not nearly enough anger was directed at the Texas Cowboys for singing songs in blackface to begin with.

That said, the alumni and booster reactions were absolutely disgusting and those leaked emails turn my stomach. All of those people should be loving ashamed of themselves.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 14, 2024

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MintFresh posted:

Listen you can talk poo poo about any other Seattle sports fandom, but to talk poo poo about mariners fans and how they are fickle? What the gently caress? We always come out no matter how lovely the team is. You forget the playoff drought? What the gently caress is this

We are literally the browns baseball. We go to games no matter what. Oregon avatar or what, for you to just blatantly lie about the mariners like this. What the gently caress

Edit: games are always packed, you just wanted to talk poo poo about Seattle sports or something?

The fun thing about being from the Northwest is we can hate each other in football but have to share a baseball team.

I went to games in the Kingdome and The Double is burned into my elementary school brain, I don’t think it’s unfair to say “the ballpark at Edgar and Dave isn’t full every single night unless the team’s in contention, and then it’s rocking.” Didn’t mean to suggest it’s an A’s situation, we know it’s not *that* bad (jeans son needs to sell his team).

Christe Eleison posted:

Hwat in the wide wide world of sports is a-goin’ on here?

The affairs of state must take precedence over the affairs of state.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Children children we can all agree the Mariners suck alright?!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Not Power 5 and all but Southern Miss belongs in 12-0 and 0-12 chat. Going 12-2 and then losing 23 straight games is too insane not to mention at any opportunity. Has anyone made a worthwhile documentary about the Ellis Johnson experience?

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s just a slideshow of GD_American posts from that era.

God that was such a miserable year. It'd be one of the greatest sports books of all time, if only any writers cared about Southern Miss.

The OC was a HS coach from Petal hired solely to get the star QB from his team.

They didn't make him starting QB. They had a three-way QB competition going into week 4.

The S&C coach was a real estate agent who had left football years earlier.

The star QB recruit (Anthony Alford)'s mom got arrested in the stands for beating someone up that was bad-mouthing her kid.

The year was so miserable he quit football and signed to play baseball in the Blue Jays organization.

USM was literally broke, and they just flat-out borrowed money illegally from a booster(that was a different case) sold back a scheduled home date with Nebraska back to Nebraska to pay Ellis Johnson 1.7 million to go away.

Their interim athletic director (former USM QB and retired Army general) worked for free just to try and help the books. They couldn't afford to hire a permanent one for another year.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 14, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
gently caress it, I'll double post because the hate is still fresh 12 years later.

You know how George W Bush, architect of two of the greatest foreign policy disasters in 50 years, and the precursor to the 2nd worst financial crisis in US history, has publicly said that his biggest regret was...........not privatizing Social Security?

Ellis Johnson was like that. When he finally talked about taking a 12-2 team and going 0-12, his biggest regret was............the fact that he didn't coach the defense.

quote:

"I chose not to run the defense or the offense as a head coach," Johnson says. "I think when you do that, it takes a little time to adjust. Where do you put all that energy and that time you were using to break down film and call defenses or offenses, etc.? Hindsight, maybe I should have done that. Maybe we would have (had) a little bit better transition, but I felt like I wanted to be a head coach of everybody and not just one side of the ball."

Again, this is a team that had a 3-way starting competition at QB until week 7.

When he made it a 4-way starting competition.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm actually not sure what happened with that, and I've talked to a lot of band people since then. As far as I can tell they got forced back together. They still play the Eyes, and pretty much all protesting on the matter has ceased entirely.

I do know that the new band director has been putting a lot of focus on fundraising and PR events, and that NOBODY is saying anything nice about the previous director anymore, which, uhh... leads me to suspect he got let go for something WAY worse than I initially thought, although sadly I don't have any solid deets on that. The rumor I did hear about it is pretty loving bad though, like so bad that the music school, athletic department, et al are actually trying to keep a lid on it.

Well come on now, Nick isn’t retiring again so out with it. Gimmie them deets.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, coaching changes pretty much always lead to big attrition, not sure what that has to do with NIL.

3 of the 4 Bama kids transferred to FSU before Saban retired.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
and Bama picked off dudes from TAMU and USC. They must be struggling with NIL!

Only 2 5 stars and 12 4 stars. No NIL in sight.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Ryan Grubb just posted that while he wanted to be UW's head coach, he will not be. I'm guessing UW AD wants someone with head coaching experience, and Grubb will probably follow DeBoer to Bama now. I have mixed feelings because while the offensive continuity would be nice and perhaps convince some players to stick around, we already went through all of this with Jimmy Lake.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wandler20 posted:

3 of the 4 Bama kids transferred to FSU before Saban retired.

That’s also pretty normal in the age of penalty free transfers. Guys don’t see the playing time they want and go looking for a better chance. Nobody FSU picked up saw much play time this past year for Bama. I doubt NIL was a major factor in leaving or determining where they landed. In the past a bunch of these transfers would have ended up grey shirting but now they can go somewhere else and see if they do better at a second stop.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Edna Mode posted:

Ryan Grubb just posted that while he wanted to be UW's head coach, he will not be. I'm guessing UW AD wants someone with head coaching experience, and Grubb will probably follow DeBoer to Bama now. I have mixed feelings because while the offensive continuity would be nice and perhaps convince some players to stick around, we already went through all of this with Jimmy Lake.

This will be a massive blunder for us, I'm almost certain of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fisch would be a good hire. The twitter rumor of Pete Carroll would not.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Henchman of Santa posted:

Fisch would be a good hire. The twitter rumor of Pete Carroll would not.

He just got a reworked deal, so he is most likely staying.

However, the Arizona board has to approve it, and they called a hearing for the 25th, so if Washington wants a rebuttal, they have time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://x.com/woodsfootball/status/1746350215592874180?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJxfBanz-R8

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 14, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Edna Mode posted:

I would have been fine giving Grubb the job. Let him try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Washington wants a new coach by tonight. This should be fun.