Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

god i wish :(

fuk u honda of north america

It was $44000 dollars for the *base* price, and it went all of 140 miles from full to empty on the battery. The only good car stuff was the exterior styling. It was an absolute turkey of an EV, on par with the Mazda MX-30, except it cost $10000 more and equally useless for anything except for city driving.

So ironically, though it is quite an attractive car, this is objectively the Right Thread for the Honda e

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

orange juche posted:

The only good car stuff was the exterior styling.

If you're referring to the concept version, yeah. The production one looks poo poo in comparison.

You are correct about this being the right thread though even though a 140 mile range is more than enough for the vast majority of people considering it like most 'cheap' EVs is a city car.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you're referring to the concept version, yeah. The production one looks poo poo in comparison.

You are correct about this being the right thread though even though a 140 mile range is more than enough for the vast majority of people considering it like most 'cheap' EVs is a city car.

I mean the production version isn't ugly, but the 140 mile range full to empty is abominable, and the thing they've replaced it with (the Honda e:Ny) has about 60 more miles of range, but it looks like a Honda HR-V inside and out, and costs just shy of $60000 off the lot, for the base model. Honda is off their loving rocker.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I love my Fit and will drive it until it disintegrates

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scratch Monkey posted:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

orange juche posted:

and costs just shy of $60000 off the lot, for the base model. Honda is off their loving rocker.

Yeah, Nissan has a similar problem with their Ariya starting at the mid 50k price point. That is not going to get these little crossover EVs to sell in the Midwest when you can start getting into base model Tahoes and other full-sized SUVs for that price point.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

I always remember one owned by a friend, the floor on it felt oddly high like they could've slid a battery pack under the floor quite easily and created the perfect smol EV.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'd kill for a new Fit Si or Type-R.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

weg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V77gpcS-nmw&t=1551s

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

KakerMix posted:

lmao yeah. This guy is talking well, making points, until he literally starts to say this exact thing. Trains my guy, it's trains. We already have that tech, it's ~roads~ already reserved for special vehicles that individual drivers aren't invited to use. If he took a train, then he won't wake up in the middle of a highway median again, relying on computers to do what his awake/well-rested mind and body should be doing instead of cramming it with his chemical concoction of energy drinks, coffee, LSD and lack of sleep since he insists on driving 18 hours in one shot.

Goddamn maddening how people get so close. So goddamn close.

The Copenhagen metro has been self driving since 2002 lol.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The problem with a tiny light ev is batteries are heavy, and a Fit would not handle having 50 or so kw of batteries slung under the car. Also, 50kw of ev batteries is like 20000 dollars or something like that with all the other poo poo needed to cool and maintain the batteries, and your 20,000 dollar Fit is now $40,000 plus.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

The problem with a tiny light ev is batteries are heavy, and a Fit would not handle having 50 or so kw of batteries slung under the car. Also, 50kw of ev batteries is like 20000 dollars or something like that with all the other poo poo needed to cool and maintain the batteries, and your 20,000 dollar Fit is now $40,000 plus.
The Bolt somehow makes it work pretty well for a small and cheap car, though yeah it's generally more difficult to make it compelling than an upmarket one.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

The Bolt somehow makes it work pretty well for a small and cheap car, though yeah it's generally more difficult to make it compelling than an upmarket one.

The Bolt didn't start selling well until they slashed the sticker price to $2000 under manufacturer cost to build. Not factory price to dealer, manufacturer build cost.

There's a reason they discontinued the Bolt EV and Bolt EUV, because they were losing stacks of cash on each Bolt off the line. That and the cars going :piss: didn't help.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 12, 2024

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

orange juche posted:

That and the cars going :piss: didn't help.

The plus side to this is a got a brand new battery with more range for free!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

Same. My 2008 is at 130k miles, I got it at 70k, and the only non-maintenance thing I've had to do to it is replace a sun visor clip. Also a muffler if you don't consider exhaust components to be consumables. It probably needs a throwout bearing, still on the original clutch afaik, but I'm doing my best to ignore that at least until my quickjacks arrive but preferably until I have a second vehicle.

e: I replaced all the brake wear items less because I needed to and more because I felt like I needed to do something to the car

Galler fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 12, 2024

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I love my FIAT and will drive it till it disintegrates (which is probably around 50k miles)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

qft. id buy the wee fucker tomorrow

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

No. 6 posted:

I love my FIAT and will drive it till it disintegrates (which is probably around 50k miles)

I see you are the glass-half-full type...

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

weg posted:

If you're not in California, you can swap an actual (K24) engine into a Fit. If you are in California, just buy a Fiesta ST instead of trying to swap the drivetrain and gas tank from a 2009 RSX into a Fit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

heffray posted:

If you're not in California, you can swap an actual (K24) engine into a Fit. If you are in California, just buy a Fiesta ST instead of trying to swap the drivetrain and gas tank from a 2009 RSX into a Fit.

TSX? The RSX had the K20 and went away after 2006.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Midjack posted:

TSX? The RSX had the K20 and went away after 2006.

Correction, 2002-04 RSX (and your Fit has to be the same age as the RSX or older). The thing where anything classed as an "emissions control device" (includes gas tank & evap systems on K-series Hondas), and the stock ECU from the engine source have to be included with the swap is incredibly limiting for CA legality.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
sub 10 microns

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...9F%93%B8.11364/

That is astoundingly bad build quality

edit : This is apparently a *non* employee delivery these pieces of poo poo are getting into the public's hands

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 14, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i believe "foundation series" on the bottom there means this is the $100,000+ model right

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

sub 10 microns

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...9F%93%B8.11364/

That is astoundingly bad build quality

edit : This is apparently a *non* employee delivery these pieces of poo poo are getting into the public's hands

sub 1/4 inch panel gap!

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

sub 1/4 inch panel gap!

Maybe he thought the mm on the tape measure were microns

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I saw my first IRL Cybertrvkk on the uber ride to dinner last night and the uber driver, unprompted without having said much of anything since I'd gotten in, said "Look at that idiotic piece of poo poo". I actually lol'd

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sagebrush posted:

i believe "foundation series" on the bottom there means this is the $100,000+ model right

Yep. 120K delivered or something like that

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
How do you know that the alleged "gap" isn't an intentionally engineered airspace interval to allow for thermal expansion or chassis flex or something

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Because it’s a Tesla

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What's with all the plastic or carbon fiber? I thought this thing was supposed to be a bulletproof stainless steel tank.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Sagebrush posted:

If it's any consolation, the car wasn't as good as was hoped and from seeing them IRL they don't look as good as in the promo pictures / videos. Was pretty disappointed as it was a big contender for us when we wanted to buy an EV.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ether Frenzy posted:

I saw my first IRL Cybertrvkk on the uber ride to dinner last night and the uber driver, unprompted without having said much of anything since I'd gotten in, said "Look at that idiotic piece of poo poo". I actually lol'd

hahah

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arrath posted:

What's with all the plastic or carbon fiber? I thought this thing was supposed to be a bulletproof stainless steel tank.

Gotta get the money for X, The Everything App from somewhere.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yep. 120K delivered or something like that

$120k for shorter range and one less motor. This despite the fact people assumed they were only going to be $70k. So some morons are putting down an extra $50k just to get access to a car with shittier spec than they wanted. The cult of tesla is alive and well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You think they look bad now, imagine how they'll look in a few years

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

You think they look bad now, imagine how they'll look in a few years
I call it optimistic to think those things will still be running in a year.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They're still digging K-cars and Renault Dodge Monarchs & Alliances out of barns. There might be a few Wednesday trucks coming out of Austin holy poo poo who am I kidding

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

$120k for shorter range and one less motor. This despite the fact people assumed they were only going to be $70k. So some morons are putting down an extra $50k just to get access to a car with shittier spec than they wanted. The cult of tesla is alive and well.

The part that really gets me is that in the end, it's just a Model Y with a body kit. There's no difference in the driving experience between the Cybertruck and any other Tesla except that the Cybertruck is taller and harder to park. I imagine I'd feel extreme remorse if I spent $120,000 on the vehicle only to discover that it's functionally no different from driving my three other Teslas.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

The part that really gets me is that in the end, it's just a Model Y with a body kit. There's no difference in the driving experience between the Cybertruck and any other Tesla except that the Cybertruck is taller and harder to park. I imagine I'd feel extreme remorse if I spent $120,000 on the vehicle only to discover that it's functionally no different from driving my three other Teslas.

The driving experience might be a bit different though. Like if you don't cut big enough eye holes in the bag that you put over your head when you get in to the thing for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

You’re forgetting the smug sense of satisfaction of having paid tribute to lord Elon