Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Joe Slowboat posted:

If she’s actually the oldest and the strongest and could actually be the big bad and all that… why did she give a flying gently caress what Mottom thought about her when it looked like Jagganoth could lose?
Why did she throw the fight?

I think that's the trick: she isn't. She maybe was once, but for whatever reason she isn't or can't be anymore. She feels like she should be, but she's not, and that's part of why she's so full of resentment. Solomon, mottom etc treat her like a joke even though she knows she *should* be the big shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

JuniperCake posted:

In this page Gog is probably talking about herself right? It would explain the chip on her shoulder when the other demiurges don't acknowledge her. And we had that one post saying that she would be the most powerful demiurge if she had her poo poo together. Presumably that was the case in the first few couple of cycles.

i would be shocked if the next page was anything but gog saying it was her

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

okay but if that is true, how do you see the story playing out because this sounds like Jadis reasoning "you can't change anything so why bother"

Something that breaks wildly from Campbell's Zoss's prescribed cycle, rather than hoping to hit all the beats so hard they work for the first time in a kalpa? He's been sending heroes where what Jagganoth needs is a career coach? It's a real problem with no obvious answer, hence an interesting one.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 13, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

AriadneThread posted:

i would be shocked if the next page was anything but gog saying it was her

A person who later on ate the worm because they didn't want to deal with that anymore.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Friedrich Nietzsche, obviously

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Magnusth posted:

I think that's the trick: she isn't. She maybe was once, but for whatever reason she isn't or can't be anymore. She feels like she should be, but she's not, and that's part of why she's so full of resentment. Solomon, mottom etc treat her like a joke even though she knows she *should* be the big shot.

Hm, I can see this - but I would really want the narrative to lean into “this Gog has, by clinging to life, stopped being that Gog so completely that she’s a parody of herself” - that would break effectively with Clown Jadis while holding onto the core themes of stagnation that all the demiurges represent.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

girl dick energy posted:

Especially if she used to be the star of the show.

these understudies SUCK gotta get more popcorn

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Logic be damned, I really want it to be Himself.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Himself is just Gog doing a Who's On First bit that got way out of hand.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

coolusername posted:

I think Gog might have been a lady but had “on being decapitated your blood should still murder multiple enemies” big sword energy and the worms eating her body ended up getting infused with her will because she decided to just not die? That’s my wild guess just based on things like the cycle of decay, what happens after you die, eating, etc. themes in the comic. What proportion of worm-to-dead-body ratio can ship of theseus’s a worm back into a person.

Just imagining one little worm getting up to the key that was on the original Gog's forehead and going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IYePOjFK2U

has me chuckling

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Gog is talking about the fish.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Gog's face in the lower left is super reminding me of something very specific from art history but i can't remember what it might be. sorta oracular but not that

The Black Lodge floor makes me think of Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RocketMermaid posted:

"Are you loving serious, it's that giant baby dude?"

"That prince who's really bad at swords"

"Who?"

"You know, from the alt-text?"

"What??"

"ughghgh"

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

One cycle was Zoss eating the worm out of a combination of curiosity and desperation, which meant Gog would live on eternally in a multiverse that was just an endless mass of herself. She eventually hit the reset button herself out of sheer boredom.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gog was about to win via an elaborate juggling and unicycle act before running over an errant banana peel and falling face-first onto the lever labeled "Wheel-spinner DO NOT PULL".

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Holy cow this page is incredible.

1) When people talk about the vastness of Gog vs the Omniscience of Jadis, I think it's the metaphor where there are more grains of sand on the beach than there are stars in the sky. Gog has the experience of multiple spins, plus the lived experiences of all the people she has wormed. That's vast like the stars in the sky.

Jadis only has knowledge of this cycle, but it is everything to the smallest atom. Jadis knows how upset Becky was when her friend told her crush Becky liked him. Knows about the pounding headache Oliver had in that meeting. Knows the pain of the ant that got stepped on because a freshman was late for class and running. Knows that the cell wall inside the capillary of a man's brain breaks triggering an aneurysm. Knows the 355th trillion cell of a man mutated into something cancerous and didn't destroy itself, leading to a slow painful death. It's this mundane small bullshit of everything little thing to the point of being comatose. Grains of sand.

2) Gog is the only repository of the people and stories existing after every spin. Folks pre-spin no longer exist except for Gog's memories. Hell, Gog worming people could be a good thing in her mind because now she knows that individual and will preserve their memory forever more.

3) I wonder if Allison eats the worm in 35 years to survive the reset so she can give Gog a rest and take her own neverending crack at an ever spinning wheel. I've beaten that drum more than enough though.

4) Gog IS talking about everyone during this spin, not just the big players.

5) Gog is still the coolest but now we know she has always been the coolest in ever spin.

I wish Gog had a friend, but I think she is way past caring about that.p

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

If Gog survives physically from a previous version of the world Jadis knows everything about that world as well, because her knowledge is complete awareness of all causes and effects, at a physical level, to describe the complete shape of the Wheel.

If Gog knows about and discusses previous versions of the world then Jadis also knows about them.

I don’t think it’s a plausible hypothesis that Jadis knows about only this version of things, because Abaddon has stated that Jadis really is totally omniscient, knowing everything that is or has been, and if that just stops with this universe then she doesn’t actually know all things.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

If Gog survives physically from a previous version of the world Jadis knows everything about that world as well, because her knowledge is complete awareness of all causes and effects, at a physical level, to describe the complete shape of the Wheel.

If Gog knows about and discusses previous versions of the world then Jadis also knows about them.

I don’t think it’s a plausible hypothesis that Jadis knows about only this version of things, because Abaddon has stated that Jadis really is totally omniscient, knowing everything that is or has been, and if that just stops with this universe then she doesn’t actually know all things.

Oh that is fair if she knows Gog then she knows what Gog has seen. The one counter I would ask does she know all that never actually existed? She could be aware of the life Gog had prior but not down to the excruciating detail she has in the current cycle. She just has a SparkGog-notes understanding of prior cycles.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The principle of knowing the Shape, according to Abaddon, is that you can Pascal’s Demon the entire cosmos from total knowledge of anything in it; this should include everything that would occur to create the information implicit in anything else.

Gognotes, to Jadis, would be everything causally connected to Gog, which is the entirely of every reality Gog has been part of.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Why do so many people think droll means dull? I don't understand. It means amusing or funny in a dry way!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Tagichatn posted:

Why do so many people think droll means dull? I don't understand. It means amusing or funny in a dry way!

It’s literally ironic

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's a moot point

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The true heir is Number 1, from book 1. The devil who White Chain caught smuggling improperly stored white sand? Who ratted out Cio? And later Allison? Way back then? When we were young and pretty?

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm getting real deja-vu from this sequence, which is appropriate, I feel like I've read a conversation similar to this before in a different comic. Oh god, I think it was Homestuck. The Skai loop, the Scratch etc etc

:)

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

If you could somehow convince Gog that THIS time it’ll be different they’d be apt to help

Maybe? Or would they learn to fear mortality if they could see it coming? Or is it tempting?

I’m sure there’s been an infinite number of Heirs to make the case, and an infinite number who failed to deliver

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we've also got the cio-golem skulking in the wings, it's probably going to complicate this whole discussion

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
The only person who it'd make any sense to bring up besides Gog would be Zoss I'd say (Allison or one of the other regular demiurges/candidates is probably too specific). Technically speaking he has been the one wiping poo poo out as a presumably necessary part of restarting, and we've not the world before it happened once,much less every time. Maybe most of the time it's a good thing, but if even one acceptable (to Allison) timeline was reset, it does mean in some sense he is also an antagonist/antagonistic force..

I could see a world where Gog is involved in whatever needs to be done to cope with the likely neverending congaline of super powered individuals, the solution isn't what Zoss had in mind, and he himself is the secret final boss who must be overcome. Probably not, but I can't think of a 'more likely' ending either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's happening in the 'come up here already' 'well, I'm already here' exchange?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MikeJF posted:

What's happening in the 'come up here already' 'well, I'm already here' exchange?

Allison's getting used to these mind-bending lectures. Best to just get them over ASAP.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I can't help but hear all of Gog's lines in a voice close to Harley Quinn from Batman: TAS.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Gog wants Allison to join her on the stage, and Allison decides, gently caress it, she's already accepted coming to the theatre, might as well.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.

MikeJF posted:

I kinda imagined at first in my mind that gog regrew the stage floor underneath allison's feet, like the whole building is worms or something. Panel doesn't really support that, but it's a fun thought.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I thought it was something like, “You’ve already dragged me here to this ridiculous theater, and now you’re asking me to do another ridiculous thing? I’ve come this far, so why not?”

Double-tapping the word “here” doesn’t do that exchange any favors.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I wish I was good at photoshop so I would put Gog’s face on the poster of groundhog day instead of Bill Muray and call it groundgog day (I know it last more than a day in this case)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

New Wave Jose posted:

I wish I was good at photoshop so I would put Gog’s face on the poster of groundhog day instead of Bill Muray and call it groundgog day (I know it last more than a day in this case)

Ask and ye shall receive.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

They're dancing The Entropy Tango.

I'll weep, weep, weep
Till he sweeps me off my feet
My heart will beat, beat, beat
And my body lose its heat
Oh life no longer seems so sweet
Since that sad Pierrot became my beau
And taught me the Entropy Tango

So flow, flow, flow ...
As the rains turn into snow
And it's slow, slow, slow ...
As the colours lose their glow ...
The Winds of Limbo no longer blow
For cold Columbine and her pale Pierrot
As we dance the Entropy Tango!

(yes it's me, I'm terminally poisoned by Michael Moorcock's books especially the weirder ones)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 15, 2024

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

girl dick energy posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

My initial thought was: shame you didn't swap out Bill Murray.
My immediate next thought was: oh Gog has definitely wormed a Bill Murray during a cycle so it still fits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Maybe Bill Murray was the previous owner of the Key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Bill Murray shows up out of nowhere, takes your Key of Kings, and says, "The best part? No one will ever believe you!"