Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The leaves in the bottom of my teacup said I'd be rich, why aren't I rich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

That's the Bahamas.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Peepee seeds.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Zero One posted:

That's the Bahamas.

It's immaterial to the central thesis, which is ":byodood:"

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gme shutting down their nft marketplace has to be bullish [for bitcoin!], yeah?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fate Accomplice posted:

Gme shutting down their nft marketplace has to be bullish [for bitcoin!], yeah?

l m a o

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I thought it was going to turn into loss.jpg

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Can someone remind me about why Apes are so devoted to Ryan Cohen?

Meme Stock Masterclass: Who is Ryan Cohen?
Ryan Cohen is a very, very important man in ape mythology. However, it may be hard to understand why. This is because the “Ryan Cohen” that exists in the minds of apes is very different to Ryan Cohen the actual man. For the purposes of this post, I will be distinguishing between the two by calling them different things. I will call the actual guy Ryan Cohen and the meme stock mythological figure RC, which is a shorthand apes often use.

I won’t spend much time explaining Ryan Cohen because there’s already plenty of information about him out there. Look up his Wikipedia page if you want. Here’s the very brief rundown: He’s an entrepreneur who got his start in online commerce. He created an online pet food store called Chewy. Chewy achieved the ultimate goal of all tech startups: it got bought out by an existing huge company. Cohen became a billionaire. He used that money to acquire over 10% of GameStop and get onto the board of directors. Over time he became chairman, then he also became the CEO.

How Ryan Cohen became RC
Ryan Cohen is what’s called an “activist investor”. Basically, he’s a super-rich guy who likes buying up a bunch of shares in a company so he can come in and tell everyone what to do to prove how much of a business genius he is. When he first started buying shares in GME and trying to tell the people running it at the time what to do, they ignored him, so he wrote a public letter telling them what to do. This was when he first publicly planted a banner in the ground and proclaimed that GameStop could totally be a super successful company if only he could use his big brain to make decisions for it. He ultimately made his way onto the board on January 11th. Does that date sound familiar? Here’s a reminder:

Did Cohen’s appointment to the board catalyze the short squeeze in some way? I couldn’t tell you. What I can say is that the timing of Cohen’s ascension to GameStop board member and his outspoken belief in its potential meant that, as the myth of GameStop was built up in the minds of GME bagholders, the myth of RC grew with it. He became the hero who singlehandedly saved this amazing company from the greedy hedge funds, almost brought MOASS into reality, and will do so again. The meme stock rhetoric never sounds more cultish than when they talk about RC, because he is their messiah.

RC hates hedge funds and is the architect of MOASS

(Don't worry about the Megacorp thing, it's an idea that exists only in this one specific DD post.)

In the minds of apes, RC fought so hard to gain power in GameStop because he recognized the company’s potential to bring about MOASS and bring an end to the greedy cabal of evil hedge funds. Apes find this compelling for a few reasons. First, stories are more compelling when they have a hero. By casting Ryan Cohen as the hero of their story, redditors can reframe even the most boring acts of corporate restructuring as part of an epic battle one man is waging against evil. The second is that it provides a handy excuse for any failure on the part of RC or GameStop. Everything GameStop does was personally orchestrated by RC, and everything RC does is part of a complex master plan that will ultimately serve to bring about MOASS. If the company does something good, that’s an example of RC’s genius and yet another reason for hedge funds to be quaking in their boots. If the company does something bad, that’s a feint in a larger series of moves that will ultimately serve to bring the company closer to MOASS, and thus an example of RC’s genius and yet another reason for hedge funds to be quaking in their boots.

RC knows about apes and values their loyalty

You may have noticed something of a contradiction. RC is the mastermind and architect of MOASS and his actions at GME are designed to bring it about. However, apes also believe that they are the architects of MOASS and they will be the ones to bring it about. How do they reconcile this? Simple: they are part of RC’s plan. RC needs the apes to buy, hodl, DRS, and all the other stuff apes love to do for his plan to work. As long as they do that enough, he will initiate the massive wealth transfer that is MOASS and make them all (m/b/tr/gor)illionaires. He is the shepherd leading his flock of apes to the promised land of MOASS. Why doesn’t RC just buy up all the shares and trigger MOASS himself? Well, for one, he’s just such a great guy. Second, making the apes rich means that post-MOASS, all the wealth will lie in the hands of the ape nouveau riche who will then happily invest their massive wealth into whatever venture he sets his sights on next. Obviously, this is better than him just having all that money for himself because [???????????]

There is a sort of circular logic here. The apes are loyal to RC because he is going to make them rich. RC is going to make the apes rich because they are so loyal.

RC sends the apes secret messages to tell them things

So, if all of this is true, why does all available evidence point to it being completely made-up nonsense? Ryan Cohen has never come out and acknowledged the MOASS theory, his platoon of loyal ape followers, or really anything that would validate any of this. Well, you see, those hedge funds are a sneaky bunch. If Ryan Cohen were to come out and admit that he’s working on these grand plans, the hedge funds would be able to use their vast powers to stop it somehow. He must maintain plausible deniability and make it seem like he’s just a stupid rich dude who is doing a bad job at running a dying video game retailer. So how does RC let the apes know what he needs them to do so he can make MOASS happen? How does he signal to them that they should stay strong and diamond hands their shares?

Well, simply put, the apes believe that RC regularly encodes secret messages specifically for them within his public-facing communications. Every time Ryan Cohen posts anything, apes immediately analyze it to try to determine what RC is really trying to tell them. When one of these divinations becomes popular enough, it creates a new shibboleth in the ape lexicon and a new pin in the metaphorical corkboard of ape attempts to decipher RC’s master plan. For example: over time apes have come to believe that they have uncovered some sort of significance regarding the number 741. They pay special attention to these three numbers when they appear in or near one of Ryan Cohen’s public communications and take them as a signal that there is definitely an important message there to decode.

The nuttiest example of apes’ attempts to find secret messages from RC, and the most infamous amongst those who follow meme stock communities, is their attempts to decode the Teddy books. Teddy is a series of children’s books created by Ryan Cohen. The main character, Teddy, is based on his grandfather. They are exactly what you would expect from a series of children’s books written by a billionaire: incredibly generic, uninspiring, and with a heavy focus on how cool money and finances are despite the target audience being little kids. Within the GameStop stock community, there is a large contingent of apes who are absolutely convinced not only that the Teddy books contain coded messaging for apes, but also that their primary purpose is to deliver those messages. They pick the books apart and scrutinize every detail, although to be fair that is not much of an undertaking since books for 3-year-olds tend to have very little detail to scrutinize. Elias_Maluco posted a stellar example of just how deep this insanity can go not too long ago, so if you’re interested, please click through to their post:

How Ryan Cohen created BBBY apes
You now know enough context about Ryan Cohen and RC to understand how and why GME apes talk about him. However, there is one more important piece of the puzzle: where does BBBY fit into all this? Ryan Cohen was never on the BBBY board of directors, so why do BBBY apes talk about him?

Well, the short version is that Ryan Cohen wanted to do to Bed, Bath, and Beyond what he is currently doing to GameStop. He wanted to activist invest his way onto the board and start telling them what to do. As with GameStop, he bought up a bunch of BBBY stock and tried to weasel his way onto the board of directors. However, that did not end up happening. I can’t say for sure whether the Bed Bath board didn’t want him or whether he changed his mind, but either way he ultimately sold his shares and jumped ship. This all happened well before the bankruptcy, and you can look up more information about it if you’re curious. Once again, this post is less about Ryan Cohen and more about RC.

You see, Ryan Cohen did all of this after the meme stock madness began. His army of ape followers had already coalesced. So, when Ryan Cohen revealed that he was interested in Bed, Bath, and Beyond, many apes took it as a sign that the company was part of RC’s big plan. When Ryan Cohen wrote an open letter claiming the company had great potential and that the Buy Buy Baby subsidiary could be considered as having a ten-figure evaluation with the right accounting trickery, apes read it as an announcement by RC that Bed, Bath and Beyond was yet another company that was having its massive value crushed by naked short selling. This perception was amplified when Cohen also purchased a bunch of BBBY options for absurd valuations as high as $80 per share. So, when Ryan Cohen announced his involvement, apes dove in head-first, and the stock price jumped big time. Then, when Cohen gave up on the Bed Bath takeover and sold off his shares, he did so at a great profit due to the price being pumped by his ape followers. He left them holding his bags.

That’s it. This may be hard to believe, but this is very important to wrap your head around: This is the full extent of Cohen’s involvement with Bed, Bath, and Beyond. He bought shares, he wrote an open letter, he tried to get on the board, he failed, he sold his shares. However, for the apes who thought they were following RC into the next step of his grand master plan, it was not the end of the story. It couldn’t be. RC wouldn’t do this to them! He wouldn’t send such a clear message that BBBY is integral to MOASS only to sell into their buy! He wouldn’t change his mind about BBBY and pull out without sending them a coded message ahead of time so they don’t lose money!

Thus, RC remained an integral part of BBBY ape lore despite Ryan Cohen being demonstrably uninvolved with the stock and the company. The apes constantly formulated new theories about how he was secretly still involved and the exact way he would incorporate BBBY into his MOASS plan. Interestingly, these theories were usually no more divorced from reality than the theories about how he would incorporate GME into MOASS despite one company being the one he is chairman of and the other one being one he is not involved with. Here’s a post from yesterday:

Before we close out, let’s consider one last question: Did Ryan Cohen knowingly dupe his army of apes into pumping BBBY so he could sell it? He is currently being sued for doing exactly that. I’m… not sure? I think he genuinely did want to get onto the Bed, Bath and Beyond board of directors, at least at first. I don’t think he made it up just to create ape hype to sell into. In fact, I don’t think he could have prevented ape hype even if he wanted to! By the time he bought his BBBY shares it had already gotten to the point where he could have gone on live TV and done a 45-minute press conference disavowing apes and the concept of MOASS every way he could think of and the apes would have been like “Ah, right, I get it RC! ;)” So it’s not like he could have made his power play without the apes pumping the price. On the other hand, he’s a craven amoral ghoul like every other billionaire and I could absolutely see him anticipating the ape price bump and planning on selling into it as a backup plan. I guess the courts will decide.

Additional Reading: More Secret Messages

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Pretty sure you could get a PHD studying this particular type of schizophrenia

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

This was really informative, thanks for the writeup!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ariong posted:

Before we close out, let’s consider one last question: Did Ryan Cohen knowingly dupe his army of apes into pumping BBBY so he could sell it? He is currently being sued for doing exactly that. I’m… not sure? I think he genuinely did want to get onto the Bed, Bath and Beyond board of directors, at least at first. I don’t think he made it up just to create ape hype to sell into.

Oh, he absolutely did.

Right before he sold he filed a disclosure that he owned 11.8% of the company. This was totally unnecessary because he'd already disclosed a large ownership position months before, and that hadn't changed enough to require an updated disclosure. It was basically saying "hey I still own BBBY!"

Also in that disclosure was where this became public:

Ariong posted:

This perception was amplified when Cohen also purchased a bunch of BBBY options for absurd valuations as high as $80 per share.

So call option means "at some future date I have the option to purchase this share from you, at this price". If you have a call option for $80 and on that date the stock is worth $10, you obviously decline the option because that would be stupid. If the stock is worth $100 then you buy.

The less realistic a call option is, the cheaper it is to get. It's like, if someone offers you a $80 option on your stock that's currently worth $1, you take it because even if that other guy makes money you still make $79 yourself. So buying a bunch of call options for $80, on a stock that most experts are agreeing is near-worthless, is real cheap. All of those absurd options cost pennies.

IIRC they also weren't strictly required to be disclosed on that SEC form either. It was just another way to create a signal that he was betting on the stock going up, when actually he was preparing to sell.

Cohen 100% soaked his army of idiot bagholders to get out of BBBY without a big loss. I doubt he would have gotten onto BBBY at the beginning if he didn't know he had a bunch of morons following him. It was a terrible idea except for the possibility that he could re-create a GME-like mania.

However, he's gonna get away with it because this was all 100% legal. That's why they're suing him over a loving moon emoji. Also the SEC is/was investigating this, but I think at most that's gonna be a "don't abuse our reporting process again" talking to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lol he can genuinely use the defense that there's literally nothing he can say or do that the apes won't take as a sign

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

hehe. yes! fight!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Klyith posted:

Oh, he absolutely did.

Right before he sold he filed a disclosure that he owned 11.8% of the company. This was totally unnecessary because he'd already disclosed a large ownership position months before, and that hadn't changed enough to require an updated disclosure. It was basically saying "hey I still own BBBY!"

Not exactly. His initial buy got him to, I think, 9.8% ownership of the company. The company then did a bunch of stock buybacks that decreased the total amount of issued shares and increased his ownership to 11.8%. There are additional legal requirements that kick in when you own at least 10% of a company, so I think he literally had to file that disclosure. The question is: did he intentionally buy close to the 10% threshold so the buybacks would put him over the edge, or did he buy at that level because he didn’t want to go over the edge and the buybacks pushed him over anyway?

Regarding the weird option stuff: It’s tricky because it obviously was meant to send a signal that he thought Bed Bath was a great company and BBBY was a great investment. However, that is a logical signal to send if you’re trying to secure a position within that company. That’s where the ambiguity lies: a lot of the stuff that would be totally unethical for him to do as the knowing cult leader of a gaggle of financial morons would also be perfectly reasonable for him to do as a businessman trying to get onto the board of a company. Hence…

Klyith posted:

However, he's gonna get away with it because this was all 100% legal. That's why they're suing him over a loving moon emoji. Also the SEC is/was investigating this, but I think at most that's gonna be a "don't abuse our reporting process again" talking to.

The emoji isn’t the problem. The emoji is evidence to show that he knew about the apes, and thus knew that they were following his actions and interpret his business activities as signals for what to buy. If this is true, then his other actions are then recontextualized as, basically, a pump and dump scheme.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

hehe. yes! fight!

This is the PP guy fighting with the Bed Bath and Beyond stalker / Uber driver, right?

Just want to make sure I've got my facts straight before I get too :allears: about the crazies fighting each other.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ariong posted:

Not exactly. His initial buy got him to, I think, 9.8% ownership of the company. The company then did a bunch of stock buybacks that decreased the total amount of issued shares and increased his ownership to 11.8%. There are additional legal requirements that kick in when you own at least 10% of a company, so I think he literally had to file that disclosure.

I am pretty sure in some articles about this it sounded like the extra disclosure was not strictly required: it wasn't his own actions that made it happen, and as long as he followed the rules for the above 10% ownership he'd be fine.

Like, if someone was riding the line between 9.95 and 10.05% they don't have to constantly file updates every time they go over or under 10%.

Ariong posted:

The emoji isn’t the problem. The emoji is evidence to show that he knew about the apes, and thus knew that they were following his actions and interpret his business activities as signals for what to buy. If this is true, then his other actions are then recontextualized as, basically, a pump and dump scheme.

So like the best argument that Cohen did a pump and dump is that when he did the ownership filing he ticked the box for "I have no plans to sell the stock", then immediately filed a different thing that said "I might sell a bunch of stock", and then sold it all the next day. But for a pump and dump to be illegal, it has to be fraudulent. And I think Cohen will have a pretty good case that a moon emoji and "I don't plan to sell, whoops a bunch of idiots all bought the stock, maybe I will sell" is not fraud.

I would like for him to be found liable, because
1) it's good when billionaires eat poo poo and
2) it would be very funny to see these people get a $5 settlement and start yelling about the MOASS

However, I also think that when you can introduce evidence like this:
you will have a pretty easy time convincing a judge / jury that your opponents are not rational investors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rich people defrauding poor people is not illegal, as long as you were already rich when you performed the fraud.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Meme Stock Madness: You're going to see now who loving fucks

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cruft posted:

This is the PP guy fighting with the Bed Bath and Beyond stalker / Uber driver, right?

Just want to make sure I've got my facts straight before I get too :allears: about the crazies fighting each other.

Yep. Grifter vs psycho.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

for fucks sake posted:

Powerful handle/avatar/post synergy here - I just had to go with this.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
who posts poo poo like this about themselves

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Oh wow, haven't seen a genuine post about Soros' devious plots in ages

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

for fucks sake posted:

Nice, I love it.

drk posted:

Totally baffling that any of the other meme stock figureheads ever willingly invited this guy into their life. The insanity is not some new development. He was a Tunisian president assassination truther before he ever got into BBBY.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

If they were all assasinated, how did they reappear today?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Ryan Cohen is just that clever.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Flowers for QAnon posted:

No conspiracy is too great for the king of conspiracy theory

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I sometimes browse through post histories of people that say insane poo poo on /r/teddy. After this one, I think I'm going to stop doing that. It's too sad.

Read from bottom to top and note the post dates. I feel extremely bad for this person.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I sometimes browse through post histories of people that say insane poo poo on /r/teddy. After this one, I think I'm going to stop doing that. It's too sad.

Read from bottom to top and note the post dates. I feel extremely bad for this person.

I mean if they’re doing UWorld questions they’re in med school or residency, and by definition terrible with money. You don’t need to feel too bad for this person in particular.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah i got mo rear end :quagmire:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
mo rear end is going to the moon

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

I mean if they’re doing UWorld questions they’re in med school or residency, and by definition terrible with money. You don’t need to feel too bad for this person in particular.

That was two years ago. I don't get the feeling they're still in med school.

To me it paints a picture of someone who was bright enough to get into pre-med, had a nasty bought of depression, and then got caught up in meme stocks. Now they post about FAITH and are a true RC and his proxy Pulte cultist.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

drk posted:

Oh good the dude who mysteriously picked up a bad case of meth mouth is ranting about the Jews

Definitely normal and not worth worrying about

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Apparently Pulte released a statement on PHM letterhead that absolutely puts his tongue up the rear end of the ape community, sprinkling in as many compliments and inside-language as possible. He's claiming he has secured bonds in BBBY as an attack surface on which to demand things from the legal system's handling of the bankruptcy.

Apes are, predictably, abandoning all prior suspicion of Pulte and holding him up as a golden calf

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The letter actually says this.

"This past summer, while tweeting and smoking on a Cuban Cigar..."

I'm starting to think Pulte is actually just trolling.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cantorsdust posted:

I hope his doctoring is faith based like his investing

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't bother to try and track it down, but I presume he didn't post any proof that he actually bought bonds. I don't even know if you can buy BBBY bonds.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

he is absolutely recruiting an army to reclaim his inheritance by way of attrition

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I didn't bother to try and track it down, but I presume he didn't post any proof that he actually bought bonds. I don't even know if you can buy BBBY bonds.

I'm sure you can -- bonds are early in the creditor line for getting repaid from whatever's left, so there's more interest in them. Unlike stock they don't get zilched until the bankruptcy is actually over. This is a thing you hear about hedge funds and such doing. They buy distressed bonds of bankrupt companies or nations for pennies on the dollar, then try to strongarm the biggest piece of the pie for themselves.

I bet you'd need to go through a specialist broker to buy BBBY bonds though. I'm guessing your regular rear end Schwab account doesn't let you.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Klyith posted:

I'm sure you can -- bonds are early in the creditor line for getting repaid from whatever's left, so there's more interest in them. Unlike stock they don't get zilched until the bankruptcy is actually over. This is a thing you hear about hedge funds and such doing. They buy distressed bonds of bankrupt companies or nations for pennies on the dollar, then try to strongarm the biggest piece of the pie for themselves.

I bet you'd need to go through a specialist broker to buy BBBY bonds though. I'm guessing your regular rear end Schwab account doesn't let you.

According to r/teddy, apes are going to try to do exactly that. Even after the stock is delisted they are working on new ways to throw cash into this volcano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Things are going great in Apeland