Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Taking kiddo to monster jam in a few weeks because he will not shut the gently caress up about monster trucks.

I know ear protection is a must but what about eye protection? My dad used to take me to the local dirt tracks when I was a kid and those cars threw up so much dirt and dust into the air that it was impossible to see. I'm not sure if I can expect the same from the monster trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
They don’t let anyone get close enough to worry about that. Took the kids once a couple of years ago and frankly, it was a disappointment. Oh what a shocker, grave digger won during his anniversary tour or some poo poo! WWE as hell lol.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Renegret posted:

Taking kiddo to monster jam in a few weeks because he will not shut the gently caress up about monster trucks.

I know ear protection is a must but what about eye protection? My dad used to take me to the local dirt tracks when I was a kid and those cars threw up so much dirt and dust into the air that it was impossible to see. I'm not sure if I can expect the same from the monster trucks.

At least the one time I've been, it was at an arena so between the angle of the seats and the size of the trucks it wasn't an issue.

Re the snoo, my last job started offering a subsidized snoo rental as a benefit like the week after we moved #1 to her crib. Then of course I switched jobs when pregnant with #2 so I didn't get to take advantage of it.

I feel for y'all working on getting rid of pacifiers. Neither of our girls really took to them; sometimes I think it would make life easier at times, but at least we don't have to wean them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah we're going to an Arena. We're going to the same arena that we saw Disney on Ice a few months ago and kiddo can't wrap his head around how they're going to put monster trucks on an ice skating rink, it's really funny.

devmd01 posted:

They don’t let anyone get close enough to worry about that. Took the kids once a couple of years ago and frankly, it was a disappointment. Oh what a shocker, grave digger won during his anniversary tour or some poo poo! WWE as hell lol.

Up until a few days ago I didn't even realize it was a competition. Little man just wants to watch some monster trucks do big jumps and I don't blame him.

Honestly I still can't wrap my head around full grown adults going and watching it as an honest to god motorsport. I'm imagining a bunch of rednecks getting mad at some judgement call like it's little league baseball while my son is screeching in delight that zombie's arm fell off.

e: Also in parenting related drama, we're going with his cousins, who are also best friends. Except both parents are going for some reason, even though they're getting divorced, and the divorced started turning nasty a few days ago. I suspect the decision for each individual parent is partly political and OH BOY I can't wait to get stuck in the middle of something dumb.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 14, 2024

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Renegret posted:

Honestly I still can't wrap my head around full grown adults going and watching it as an honest to god motorsport. I'm imagining a bunch of rednecks getting mad at some judgement call like it's little league baseball while my son is screeching in delight that zombie's arm fell off.

The bolded part is basically the attraction for adults too. The WWE comparison is very, very apt. It's a ton of schlocky, over the top, dramatic theater with a bunch of rule of cool stuff where the whole point is to be as :krad: as possible. Kind of like going to a live action cheesy action movie.

Plus beer. Lots of beer, ideally cheap fried food too. Some very college football tailgate vibes. Get a buzz going, eat some fatty foods, hoot like a moron for your favorite truck, watch some pyro and some cars getting crushed.

It can be a pretty good time if you just roll with it and embrace the sillyness, and try not to over-think it or get judgmental about who you assume the target audience is.

Sorry to hear about going with the soon-to-be-divorcees though.

Rasputin on the Ritz fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 14, 2024

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

It can be a pretty good time if you just roll with it and embrace the sillyness, and try not to over-think it or get judgmental about who you assume the target audience is.

This is pretty good general advice (especially with kids)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

nachos posted:

Is snoo something that needs to be started at birth? And does it need to be used for every nap as well? We’re strongly considering getting one for our 5 week old but they are already used to other ways of being put to bed. Car seat, carrier, swaying, etc.

At 5 weeks I would think it would be fine to start, especially if you already swaddle your kid. The snoo sways side to side when it rocks too so that will be similar.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

This is pretty good general advice (especially with kids)

It’s part of why my long term plan involves a visit to Medieval Times when we take the kids to visit family in a city that has one. Only worry is them getting way too into horses

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
My wife and I evangelize the snoo to every new parent we talk to. It's amazing, really a huge difference maker in sleep quality for all parties if your kid is ok being swaddled (it only really swaddles the arms).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My guy never liked his arms being constricted, we let them be free in the SNOO and it was never an issue. Can’t recommend it enough.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nachos posted:

Is snoo something that needs to be started at birth? And does it need to be used for every nap as well? We’re strongly considering getting one for our 5 week old but they are already used to other ways of being put to bed. Car seat, carrier, swaying, etc.

You missed your window probably yeah. It's not much use after 8-12 weeks IMO

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
we skipped the snoo but really loved the swaddleme and a white noise machine for getting our 6wk old asleep, we use a bassinest we got for 10 dollars off of fb marketplace

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

You missed your window probably yeah. It's not much use after 8-12 weeks IMO

We started at birth but my son slept in the SNOO until he was almost 6 months old. It’s just a bassinet that happens to have motion and sound

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Is 3 too young for monster jam? My little dude is obsessed but I’m worried he might be too young still.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

remigious posted:

Is 3 too young for monster jam? My little dude is obsessed but I’m worried he might be too young still.

My buddy took his ~3 year old and the kid loved it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My buddy took his ~3 year old and the kid loved it.

Awesome, good to know! I’ll practice getting my little dude to wear ear protection.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

Up until a few days ago I didn't even realize it was a competition. Little man just wants to watch some monster trucks do big jumps and I don't blame him.

That’s the question behind an entire-rear end New Yorker piece from last summer called “When Trucks Fly,” because even the most New Yorker-rear end person still has their jaw drop and giggles when they see the big trucks take flight.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Does anyone have some good book/series suggestions for a 9-year-old voracious reader? He's just about done Redwall. All of it. When we were on vacation for a week he read 3.5 of the Silverwing books and matched me in total pages read. Only real stipulation is that he cannot stand zombies.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Sweet Gulch posted:

Does anyone have some good book/series suggestions for a 9-year-old voracious reader? He's just about done Redwall. All of it. When we were on vacation for a week he read 3.5 of the Silverwing books and matched me in total pages read. Only real stipulation is that he cannot stand zombies.

A long, long time ago, I used to binge on the “Three Investigators” around that age https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Investigators

Ofc, it’s set in the 70s/80s.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Sweet Gulch posted:

Oh man I was a Redwall kid at that age too.

I remember after I finished all of it I continued on to some more young adult fantasy:
Sword of Shannara (Brooks)
Dragonriders of Pern (McCaffrey)
Pendragon (McHale)
Narnia (CS Lewis)
Wizard of Earthsea (LeGuin)

I read a lot of The Hardy Boys, which eventually start to get repetitive. Although they were dated when I was a kid so not sure if he will be into them. I also started to read a lot of the Great Illustrated Classics at that age where they chop down huge classic books like The Three Musketeers into kid books.

If he’s a gifted kid who reads a lot then Ender’s Game will make a big impression on him right now.

The main Discworld (Pratchett) is probably too adult but the YA Discworld books would be good.

Talking animal genre - could check out Perloo the Bold (Avi), Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, or Watership Down (may be too adult for him).

Other good fantasy books off the top of my head: Wrinkle in Time, The Phantom Tollbooth, lots of Roald Dahl (BFG / Chocolate Factory). I scarcely have to mention The Hobbit or Harry Potter but both would be great at that age.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dark Lord of Derkholm is a YA fantasy book I remember quite fondly. Quick google shows the range as 8-12.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son just came up the stairs to tell me his feet are "uppers" that help him go up the stairs.

Then he went back down.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

space uncle posted:

I remember after I finished all of it I continued on to some more young adult fantasy:
Sword of Shannara (Brooks)
Pendragon (McHale)
Narnia (CS Lewis)
Wizard of Earthsea (LeGuin)

oh man you just touched my childhood right here. Highly recommend Shannara and Earthsea. I also want to recommend anything by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials and Sally Lockhart) but those are more for a teenage audience. Keep it on the backburner until high school (especially Sally Lockhart which has a full blown poorly written sex scene in it). I do feel like His Dark Materials and it's themes are extremely tired out at this point but that's the big advantage of being a kid.

What's more age appropriate and what I was into at that age are the Boxcar Children (your kid is probably past this by now), seconding Hardy Boys, anything by Gary Paulsen (known for Hatchet but I also loved Winterdance), Windcatcher, and maybe Holes. My favorite book was The Cricket in Times Square and I must have read it a dozen times, it's perfect for a 3rd grader.

e: Also the Dragon of the Lost Sea books.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 15, 2024

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Sweet Gulch posted:

Seconding the YA Discworld books, so The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight and The Shepherd's Crown.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
The Percy Jackson books are age appropriate and a fun romp. Start with the series called Percy Jackson and the Olympians - I think Lightning Thief is the first. Would definitely second His Dark Materials.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shannara was really good I still have my copies of sword of Shannara and even a signed copy of first King of Shannara

I grew up in the Seattle area (big reading area) and was reading like 10+ books a week and there was really fierce competition for stuff like the star wars books and Michael Creighton stuff

Anyways I stumbled across two series that were actually quite good, and didn't realize they were large 10+ book series:

Wizard of Oz (14 books)
Doctor Dolittle (12 books)

Most importantly they weren't on hold and could be checked out immediately

I think each book is about 160-200 pages and similar in style to Narnia

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

Dark Lord of Derkholm is a YA fantasy book I remember quite fondly. Quick google shows the range as 8-12.

Most of Diana Wynne Jones books would be appropriate for that age.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Doll House Ghost posted:

Seconding the YA Discworld books, so The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight and The Shepherd's Crown.

Don't have much to add besides the Prydwen books right now, but Humble Bundle has 38 Discworld books for 18$ - https://www.humblebundle.com/books/terry-pratchetts-discworld-harpercollins-books

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Oh man I should use Redwall in case my kids are still picky when they start reading it. Brian Jacques was big on the meal descriptions.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Thanks so much, everyone!! We've got a big list to grab at the library now.

Renegret posted:

I also want to recommend anything by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials and Sally Lockhart) but those are more for a teenage audience.

His little sister's name is Lyra, hahaha. His Dark Materials is sitting on the shelf waiting but yeah, I was going to wait a little longer yet. We actually found the graphic novel adaptation of the first book at a thrift store and he loved that though!

Sweet Gulch fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 15, 2024

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah I feel like the hard part of that age is that you're in the transition period between children's books and young adult, and YA may not always be super appropriate. I was in middle school when I read His Dark Materials and Amber Spyglass hosed me up real good. I loved it but I spent a good amount of time just staring at the ceiling trying to sort out these newfangled feelings I hadn't learned to cope with yet.

So I'm going to repeat myself here but I buried it in my own post, I recommend Windcatcher and Cricket in Times square. I was an avid reader at that age but those are two books that really left an impression.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I also recommend most of the Tortall books by Tamora Pierce, I remember devouring them around the same age I was reading the Silverwing books. There are also a bunch of them and they span a period of like 40 years in universe.

I also remember being really into the Seventh Tower by Garth Nix around then.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I have been re-listening to The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper, which I think I read around the age I was also into Redwall. It was a newberry honor winner.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The pushcart war by Jean Merrill is fun and also about organizing against entrenched interests

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Jane Yolen’s dragon books were a favorite back then. So were Bruce Coville books, and anything by Tamora Pierce.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

EVG posted:

Bruce Coville

Hell yes, I was about to post the My Teacher Is an Alien series. I stayed up super late reading those books when I was in 4th or 5th grade.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

space uncle posted:

Just a heads up there's some problematic sex poo poo in this series. The dragons mate on a "whoever can chase down and overpower the queen" basis which is whatever for animals, but their mind-linked humans are driven to mirror the encounter no matter whether or not they would have normally consented to do so.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Brawnfire posted:

My son just came up the stairs to tell me his feet are "uppers" that help him go up the stairs.

Then he went back down.

Imagining a sad kid walking down the stairs on his downers now

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Well RSV has (most likely) hit the fam. Pre-K school mate of my son tested positive and my son has the same symptoms.

7.5mo old is coughing now and wife and I have sore throats. I’m not sure why our doc never recommended the antibody shot, but he didn’t…so just monitoring and trying to keep her hydrated and happy and we’ll see how it goes.

My wife is spiraling a bit, but I try to remind her she is 7.5mon, healthy, and breastfed. Literally doing pretty much anything that could be done prior to the recent shots and a lot of kids made it out fine (I know still it’s like the most serious infant virus but trying to keep it positive…). But her vigilance is good because we were basically COVID shut ins with our son so even though this is kid #2 we never had anything too serious with #1 for the first ~2yrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Crazyweasel posted:

I’m not sure why our doc never recommended the antibody shot,
Probably a combination of factors:
  • Costs $500 and your insurance probably doesn't cover it.
  • Your Pediatrician doesn't stock it.
  • It's hard enough to get parents to follow the standard vaccination schedule, so even merely suggesting something "optional" gets pushback.
Most kiddos do, do just fine though. Hopefully you'll pull through.