Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

TraderStav posted:

Think I have those but not redacted. No idea how many are used regularly or not. Sounds like there's been some institutionalization occurring.

Some of these sites don’t like to be named in public forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cruft posted:

Maybe someone on here would like this thing I threw together to visualize CPU load without having to run a bunch of new services:

It's some JavaScript that pulls /proc/cpuinfo from a web server and renders it as a chart. Everything happens in the browser.

https://git.woozle.org/neale/portal/src/branch/main/web/stat.html and https://git.woozle.org/neale/portal/src/branch/main/web/stat.mjs ought to get you going, you have to tell the web server to provide /proc/stat when the browser asks for proc/stat.
Better yet, setup prometheus and graphana, and use exporters to get your data into prometheus so that graphana can make lots of pretty graphs for you - for data that's useful (instead of the thing that load averages is supposed to be used for).
While S.M.A.R.T data is notoriously useless in isolation, you can use it if you chart it properly using the smartctl exporter.
For example by keeping track reallocated sector count over the lifetime of the drive; a couple at the start of the lifetime isn't an issue, whereas sudden spiking when it's well into its bathtub curve is a pretty good predictor that the drive is going to fail.

Similarly, there are exporters for ZFS, NFS, gstat and jails (both for FreeBSD), BIND, postgres (and mysql, if you have to), arbitrary unstructured log data, and a blackbox exporter that can be used for HTTP(S)/TCP/ICMP endpoints, as well as an IPMI exporter, the node exporter that can export whatever stats an OS has about itself, and even a NUT exporter for UPS device information.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 13, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Corb3t posted:

So I do all my media requests through mobile Overseerr/Jellyseerr connected to Plex/Jellyfin + Sonarr + Radarr + Bazarr + Prowlarr, connected to Sabnzbd using Frugal Usenet with NZBGeek and Drunkenslug as indexers, all on unraid. Pretty hands off, my requests download in minutes and Plex refreshes instantly. Throw in Tautulli if you want to monitor Plex streaming among friends.

We also do a lot of streaming account sharing with friends but hard to beat the convenience of Overseerr when it’s so hands off.

Is Prowlarr similar to nzbhydra? Trying to sort out how it fits in, otherwise.

I seem to have to use Infuse on my AppleTV to play the 4K content more reliably than with Plex. Is this a common workaround and why doesn't Plex work as well? Slow Horses S01E01 had audio but no video in Plex, played perfectly with Infuse off of my Plex library.

bobfather posted:

Some of these sites don’t like to be named in public forums.

I'll go back and redact, thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Prowlarr is nzbhydra with tighter integration into the Arr apps. I like it a lot more than Hydra. E: it also adds Jackett like functionality for torrent trackers so one less thing to run.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Prowlarr is nzbhydra with tighter integration into the Arr apps. I like it a lot more than Hydra. E: it also adds Jackett like functionality for torrent trackers so one less thing to run.

Sweet! Will check it out. Not really having any complaints with nzbhydra at the moment, so maybe don't need to upset the applecart. Are you able to provide an example of how the tighter integration with -arr apps works?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Follow-up question about overseer. How are you handling the requests from friends/family. Do you have them going into a separate library or have one gen-pop library for everything?

For a long while I had my brother having access to my Plex and he and his family had the ABSOLUTE worst taste in TV/Movies and I just got absolutely sick of scrolling through the lowest quality of content you can imagine. Perhaps maybe I have the mental model of this is my library that I'm sharing with others, rather than cultivating a collection of whatever everyone else needs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TraderStav posted:

Sweet! Will check it out. Not really having any complaints with nzbhydra at the moment, so maybe don't need to upset the applecart. Are you able to provide an example of how the tighter integration with -arr apps works?

Instead of setting up one hydra instance in each app you configure Prowlarr to connect to each app via the API and manage the Indexers. I also like the torrent seeding settings that it passes along to the torrent client.

It's not better per se. If hydra is working for you there's no major benefit to it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've have had to put some limits in place for specific users so they won't request too many seasons of a tv show or whatever, and a friend of mine requests a lot of kids media so I spun off a "Kids Movie" library and he is smart enough to select the library when he's making his requests.

I also have a library for Live Performances, Live Comedy, Master Class, Anime, and Wrasslin'.

Infuse is great, make sure you get the Test Flight beta so you can use direct library mode for your Plex library and not require a bunch of player-side caching that would often bog Infuse down. Before direct library mode, I would use Plex's native app 90% of the time, and I can't say I've had many issues with anything I've thrown at it, but Infuse is a little better at handling some spatial audio properly - I think it's worth the $10 a year.

I haven't messed with NZBHydra so I can't really comment on how it compares, but I like that Prowlarr updates all my other *arrs indexers and torrents (Anime) and provides advanced statistics for those indexers like successful grabs, response time, etc.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 13, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Corb3t posted:

I've have had to put some limits in place for specific users so they won't request too many seasons of a tv show or whatever, and a friend of mine requests a lot of kids media so I spun off a "Kids Movie" library and he is smart enough to select the library when he's making his requests.

I also have a library for Live Performances, Live Comedy, Master Class, and Wrasslin'.

Infuse is great, make sure you get the Test Flight beta so you can use direct library mode for your Plex library and not require a bunch of player-side caching that would often bog Infuse down. Before direct library mode, I would use Plex's native app 90% of the time, and I can't say I've had many issues with anything I've thrown at it, but Infuse is a little better at handling some spatial audio properly - I think it's worth the $10 a year.

Ah, they can select which library to put the request in, that's interesting. I do get requests pretty infrequently now that I booted my brother off of the server (feigning some xfinity contacting me about too much uploads) so probably not something that I need at this time, but good to hear it's a very flexible solution.

Have the annual subscription to Infuse, will have to check out the test version!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Is Prowlarr similar to nzbhydra? Trying to sort out how it fits in, otherwise.

I seem to have to use Infuse on my AppleTV to play the 4K content more reliably than with Plex. Is this a common workaround and why doesn't Plex work as well? Slow Horses S01E01 had audio but no video in Plex, played perfectly with Infuse off of my Plex library.

I'll go back and redact, thanks!

Yes widespread issue, I’ve never found a workaround with the plex app itself and now always use infuse.

The plex app for apple tv fails really hard at video playback; random audio desync in pretty much everything, can’t play back 4k files properly, doesn’t tonemap hdr properly (this is an advertised feature of plex pass but it doesn’t work.) There’s a massive thread on their forums about it, it’s been a problem for a while. Definitely a problem with the apple tv client itself. Mercifully infuse solves this problem and syncs perfectly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That's so interesting - I've literally never had any issues with the AppleTV Plex app with my Sonos Arc connected to my Sony TV via eARC with Match Frame Rate turned on. I don't do any tonemap transcoding, though - my TVs all support HDR and my Tautulli stats show I only really transcode when I'm traveling on other devices - ~100 times out of 11,000 total streams.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 13, 2024

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah I don't think mine was doing much transcoding either, I think it's specifically an issue with the video player. But interesting that you don't have the problem, it must be setup specific then. Which would explain why it's taking them so long to resolve.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Better yet, setup prometheus and graphana, and use exporters to get your data into prometheus

I feel like you missed the part where I said "without having to run extra services." I wrote this so I could get rid of Prometheus and Grafana, which were taking up significant resources on my Raspberry Pi.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I feel like you missed the part where I said "without having to run extra services." I wrote this so I could get rid of Prometheus and Grafana, which were taking up significant resources on my Raspberry Pi.

I feel like every one of your posts needs to come with a disclaimer that you're trying to do all of these things on a calculator from 2010 that needs to run on a D cell battery. Because basically every time someone says "why would you do that" it's because you're doing this that hard way for whatever reason, but there's no reason anyone else would or would expect you to be doing it that way unless they follow this thread closely and for a while and are really paying attention to your posts, which.......to be honest are often like "who cares, it's just some person doing things the hard way this is irrelevant to me, someone who just wants to get things working".

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine
Is there a thread consensus on a self-hosted pinboard / pocket alternative?
Ideally, I'd like to solve two different use cases with a single solution:
- archiving websites that might go down
- saving articles for reading later (I regularly commute through areas with no cell service, that's where I go through my backlog)

Pocket is able to handle fewer and fewer websites over time, so I might as well put my synology box to good use :)

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I haven’t used it yet but have been looking at Wallabag: https://github.com/wallabag/wallabag

Might be worth a look for you.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

who cares, it's just some person doing things the hard way this is irrelevant to me, someone who just wants to get things working.

Well, that hurts. But you're probably right. I'll stop posting here.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 14, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

bsaber posted:

I haven’t used it yet but have been looking at Wallabag: https://github.com/wallabag/wallabag

Might be worth a look for you.

WB has promise but is a bit of a nightmare to set up. I ran the docker version for a bit but it’s architected in such a way that it has load bearing env vars for reverse proxy settings so you can just brick your entire setup for no reason even if you try and use IP:Port. It’s barely supported as well. Also also, the mobile client will just coin flip on whether or not it will authenticate and connect to your instance; naturally there are no descriptive errors as to why.

Great promise, some of the worst implementation I’ve seen.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

cruft posted:

I find it interesting seeing the clever solutions people find to do things on low spec computers, even if in this case I'd have just used rrdtool and any one of the thousands of examples of system monitoring scripts from the early 2000s that use rrd as the backend.

It's easy to throw cycles at a problem but there's also fun in figuring out how to do it from first principles.

(Of course I also run my own mail server and invest a sometimes silly amount of time in it when I could just use sendgrid.)

corgski fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 14, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

corgski posted:

(Of course I also run my own mail server and invest a sometimes silly amount of time in it when I could just use sendgrid.)

Do you also pay someone to step on out nuts? This is some real sadist behavior.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Masochism in the digital age is definitely troubleshooting deliverability to O365.

Anyway speaking of doing things the hard way, I want to catalog all my books but there seems to be a massive gap in usability between proprietary services like libib and full featured ILS suites like Evergreen ILS, is there anything in the middle that's self-hostable and automates data entry without like, requiring you to be a OCLC member library?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

Id appreciate it if you kept posting its interesting

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That Works posted:

Id appreciate it if you kept posting its interesting

Oh I'll keep posting, I just don't think this is the right thread for, like, low resource services, FreeBSD, phpBB, self hosting email in 2024, and other "high effort, low payoff potential" research sorts of things.

I might make a new thread when I get home, if I can't find an appropriate one.

It's a good thing: it means SA has a vibrant enough community that it still needs multiple threads :)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The email bit should be in a thread of its own imo as anywhere you bring it up you’re going to hear the same as you have here. You’re insane for doing this of your own volition, but I applaud your insanity. Most people doing self hosting are either full on homelab setups and don’t have a need or desire for lower overhead stuff or are just sticking to OTS solutions to problems. I honestly think you should ditch the RasPi for something more capable as it really isn’t great for what you’re trying to accomplish imo. They’re great machines but blood from a stone and so on.

Edit: to be clear though that is a neat little way to accomplish what you’re going for with as little overhead as possible.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 14, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, does anyone have a good resource for Grafana shenanigans? I need to get back around to messing with it for my assorted machines and doing it “right” would be nice.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Think I ran into this problem last night. After about an hour into a 4K linux iso I started getting caching every 10 minutes or so for 15-25 seconds. Ended up moving to the 1080p version as it was messing with the vibe of it. Will check this out today.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Do you also pay someone to step on out nuts? This is some real sadist behavior.

Why do people self host e-mail? For privacy purposes? Becuase it's nearly free? I have to imagine most self hosters own a domain or two with really cheap shared hosting plan. I don't pay much on Namecheap.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Why do people self host e-mail? For privacy purposes? Becuase it's nearly free? I have to imagine most self hosters own a domain or two with really cheap shared hosting plan. I don't pay much on Namecheap.

Same reason some people play games on hard mode, I think. You ratchet up the difficulty until it's a game worth playing.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Corb3t posted:

In my case it was literally just because I wanted to see if I could. All the breathless warnings are like seeing the label on your stereo saying "no user serviceable parts inside" and going "bet?" and fixing it yourself.

And once you get over the hill of establishing reputation with Google there's no reason to not keep going, it's remarkably hands-off as long as you have a small number of users who all follow good password practices.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Corb3t posted:

I did for the longest time just because it's what I always did.

I started an ISP in college, when I sold it, I colocated a half rack wherever I happened to be living, that became rented some VMs eventually, until fiber made it all self hosted. At some point though I realized it just wasn't worthwhile with free Google Apps For Domains.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cruft posted:

Oh I'll keep posting, I just don't think this is the right thread for, like, low resource services, FreeBSD, phpBB, self hosting email in 2024, and other "high effort, low payoff potential" research sorts of things.

I might make a new thread when I get home, if I can't find an appropriate one.

It's a good thing: it means SA has a vibrant enough community that it still needs multiple threads :)

I like it, please keep posting.

Motronic posted:

I feel like every one of your posts needs to come with a disclaimer that you're trying to do all of these things on a calculator from 2010 that needs to run on a D cell battery. Because basically every time someone says "why would you do that" it's because you're doing this that hard way for whatever reason, but there's no reason anyone else would or would expect you to be doing it that way unless they follow this thread closely and for a while and are really paying attention to your posts, which.......to be honest are often like "who cares, it's just some person doing things the hard way this is irrelevant to me, someone who just wants to get things working".
gently caress you, the op is gonna be a lot better prepared to ward off the cloudpocalypse than you with whatever you're doing. I love reading about stuff running on low powered computers in general cause when the real apocalypse hits your geforces and your xeons will be sucking up too much power to be worth running.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 14, 2024

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Yeah, gently caress off with the gatekeeping poo poo, as someone who enjoys playing with old hardware that's ridiculously under-powered by today's standards (old SPARC stuff, SGIs, etc.) I appreciate and admire when someone wants to put effort into making something useful with limited resources.

And so would Ron Swanson, FYI.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Cenodoxus posted:

Yeah, gently caress off with the gatekeeping poo poo, as someone who enjoys playing with old hardware that's ridiculously under-powered by today's standards (old SPARC stuff, SGIs, etc.) I appreciate and admire when someone wants to put effort into making something useful with limited resources.

And so would Ron Swanson, FYI.

Not emptyquoting

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I like it, please keep posting.

gently caress you, the op is gonna be a lot better prepared to ward off the cloudpocalypse than you with whatever you're doing. I love reading about stuff running on low powered computers in general cause when the real apocalypse hits your geforces and your xeons will be sucking up too much power to be worth running.

When the "real apocalypse hits," you'll probably have more important things to do than fiddle with your nextcloud. Especially since many/most of the services discussed in this thread still require a generally functioning Internet to have any purpose.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Do we have an "Internet from first principles" thread? Because honestly stuff like BGP peering and managing an autonomous system is also pretty cool and can be done with commodity hardware on a small scale as long as you don't care about routing to the Internet.

There's even a couple hobby projects out there that let you peer with others on an isolated network using wireguard to tunnel it over the public Internet.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Warbird posted:

WB has promise but is a bit of a nightmare to set up. I ran the docker version for a bit but it’s architected in such a way that it has load bearing env vars for reverse proxy settings so you can just brick your entire setup for no reason even if you try and use IP:Port. It’s barely supported as well. Also also, the mobile client will just coin flip on whether or not it will authenticate and connect to your instance; naturally there are no descriptive errors as to why.

Great promise, some of the worst implementation I’ve seen.

Wow, that’s good to know. I was about to set it up later today.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Quixzlizx posted:

When the "real apocalypse hits," you'll probably have more important things to do than fiddle with your nextcloud. Especially since many/most of the services discussed in this thread still require a generally functioning Internet to have any purpose.

If you aren't prepared to set up scuttlebutt on meshtastic you're not prepared

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The point of my post is that cruft routinely posts these things in a vacuum without the hint of "I did this because I'm doing my super low power thing" and then someone tries to help them or engage in some way with the logical assumption that they're talking about reasonable hardware and surely there is a misunderstanding or some reason why one would do things that way. It's happened multiple times in the plex thread as well. Zero context posting about something that only someone trying to run it on a pi would have.

It's happened enough that it's hard to believe the lack of context is accidental.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
e: never mind I’m not helping anything with this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Can't expect every dirty pirate to want to pay for anything, but yeah, I've been using usenet to automate my entire stack for drat near a decade and I couldn't imagine mucking around on whatever new torrent site is the flavor of the month or whatever. It saturates my 1 Gbps connection and not reliant on somebody else sharing.

I also have Frugal Usenet for $40 a year.

Yep been using Usenet binaries for probably over 20 years now.