Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

When I ordered my OLED to Canada last year I had the same warning but it didn't take much longer. Think it was five days from ordering to arrival?

Mine was 5 or 6 days as well. I think it also had the "shipping to Canada is delayed" warning as well. This was at OLED launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can play the finals on the deck now. It doesn’t seem to run that great tbh :shrug:

https://youtu.be/dFrre-A0UyQ?si=3KYZmmhsHU4EBz0V

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Been going back and forth between RDR2 (which I’d played before on ps4 but didn’t complete) and Chrono Trigger (which I never played).

I didn’t think I’d do much emulation but the deck really is great for it because it’s relatively comfortable to hold and the screen is so perfect. I have a little retro handheld but it feels more like a novelty item in comparison.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow metro exodus is a fuckin stunner on deck.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Kragger99 posted:

Mine was 5 or 6 days as well. I think it also had the "shipping to Canada is delayed" warning as well. This was at OLED launch.

I'm just worried about how long the deck will take to come. Once I see tracking information, I'll know when I will need to watch for the deck. If it arrives before the 25th, great!

I hope the wait will be worth it. My hands are itching to play Tetris Effect with HDR on. My PC doesn't support HDR but the OLED deck sure as hell does.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

After much debate I pulled the trigger on an OLED deck and a 1tb micro sd card.

Ordering from valve, what was everyones order to delivery time?

Ordered the 1TB OLED model on Tuesday, and it just got here.

I have a perfectly good gaming PC, but I take enough weekend trips that I pulled the trigger. The screen is gorgeous.

I'm not sure what the heck to do with this thing in the meantime.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just popping in to ratio that guy who said Yak 3 was bad. Actually it is you who are bad!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

WhiteHowler posted:

I have a perfectly good gaming PC, but I take enough weekend trips that I pulled the trigger. The screen is gorgeous.

For what it's worth, I have a great gaming PC and still spend probably a majority of my time PC gaming on the Deck now. There are still certain things I play on my desktop, but just being able to take something from room to room is so nice. I occasionally end up literally playing at my desk in front of my computer because I need to do some work and it's less of a hassle to just keep playing on the SD than it is to deal with alt-tabbing.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Is anyone using a grip case? I got one for my switch partly for protection and partly because I do not have tiny human hands and it was super uncomfortable to hold for extended periods.

The steam deck itself seems to be designed a lot better in that regard, but is there anything out there that can make it ‘very’ comfortable?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

oled is here! the back vent smells weirdly soothing.

WhiteHowler posted:

Ordered the 1TB OLED model on Tuesday, and it just got here.

I'm not sure what the heck to do with this thing in the meantime.

same, i go on trips enough and while i have a switch that i'm happy with, sometimes i get fixated on a game i have on steam and can't really enjoy my switch when i'm traveling because i'm thinking about how much i want to play that game.

as for home, i plan on using it while lying down. i have a bad back and sometimes i just need to lay down, plus lately it's been really cold. steam deck means i can keep playing in bed under the covers so i can also stay toasty warm.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Is anyone using a grip case? I got one for my switch partly for protection and partly because I do not have tiny human hands and it was super uncomfortable to hold for extended periods.

The steam deck itself seems to be designed a lot better in that regard, but is there anything out there that can make it ‘very’ comfortable?

I tried the JSAUX case for it, but it doesn't fit into the Steam carrying case with it on, which I use to store it in, so I took it off. It was decently designed, and has good grips on the hand holds. It can stay on when docked as well. The only issue is the top part doesn't fit 100% snug as there was a small gap between top of screen border and case edge. It also allows attachments onto the back, but I didn't buy it for that.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

Can I use a usb-c thumb drive connected directly to the deck for file transfers? Or do I need a dock to do it? I'm thinking of getting a 128GB thumb drive when I also order my micro SD card. The biggest one I have is usb-a only with a capacity of 4GB. Even when I will need to reformat it to exfat it will make transferring files easier than setting up ssh. At least for me, as I can have stuff copied already to the drive before even having the deck.

Just enable ssh. it takes 30 seconds and is much faster/easier then dealing with transferring between 3+ devices

e: unless you don't have a PC, sorry if that's the case. otherwise just put all the files you want to transfer into a folder on your desktop and transfer to the Deck once you get it.

like i'm currently playing FFV on the Deck while transferring tetris effect to it from my PC with winscp, no disruption and don't get easier than that.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 14, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PantsBandit posted:

Just popping in to ratio that guy who said Yak 3 was bad. Actually it is you who are bad!

Whoa now let's not post aggressively like this! Shame!

You're right though lol

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Barreft posted:

Just enable ssh. it takes 30 seconds and is much faster/easier then dealing with transferring between 3+ devices

e: unless you don't have a PC, sorry if that's the case. otherwise just put all the files you want to transfer into a folder on your desktop and transfer to the Deck once you get it.

like i'm currently playing FFV on the Deck while transferring tetris effect to it from my PC with winscp, no disruption and don't get easier than that.

what is ssh and how do you enable it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Splash Attack posted:

what is ssh and how do you enable it?

Secure Shell it’s a transfer/network protocol. This video is a quick no frills walkthrough to enabling it.

https://youtu.be/Cb1U0_KbtLQ?si=Zv9hCz9uf5V4VYWl

I use FileZilla on PC for connecting/transferring stuff.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Secure Shell it’s a transfer/network protocol. This video is a quick no frills walkthrough to enabling it.

Yeah this

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does this persist between resets?

I followed some guide when I first got my Deck that set up what I assume is SSH (I'm not super tech literate but it lets me connect via FileZilla), but each time I want to use it I have to boot the Deck into Desktop mode and enter 2 sudo commands into the terminal.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

Does this persist between resets?
I don't know what the video says since I'm not watching a video, but if you do:
code:
sudo systemctl enable --now sshd
it will persist until you later do:
code:
sudo systemctl disable --now sshd

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah if it's set up right you don't have to do anything, it even stays between switching from stable to beta.

Only thing I had to make was not being connected to a VPN at first connect, like with Moonlight. After the first connect it works even on VPN. But I use nordvpn and know poo poo all about networking.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah. Cool characters and a great setting. It owns.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Barreft posted:

I need a new thumbdrive anyway. Just makes sense that I get one that has usb-c and usb-a built in. My old 4GB one isn't nearly enough for doing file transfers anymore. It's fine for a couple of important backups I have, but in the event I need to reflash the deck for any reason, better to have a usb-c one. It's also only $20 so not really a bid expense.
I will set up ssh later when I actually want to really transfer some files over. This is more for the immediate short term as I can just get the folder structure that emudeck will want and copy the files over very easily. This assumes I get the drive before I get the deck.

But my deck has moved from payment processed into packaged. Hopefully it goes to the courier and I get tracking information soon. I expect a bit of a delay due to weather. But the deck is coming. The delay in processing I thought would be like a week. Depends when the courier picks it up to ship to my city, I guess. I have plans when it arrives. Even got my updates and dlc files for my switch games all set up to go.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

I need a new thumbdrive anyway. Just makes sense that I get one that has usb-c and usb-a built in. My old 4GB one isn't nearly enough for doing file transfers anymore. It's fine for a couple of important backups I have, but in the event I need to reflash the deck for any reason, better to have a usb-c one. It's also only $20 so not really a bid expense.
I will set up ssh later when I actually want to really transfer some files over. This is more for the immediate short term as I can just get the folder structure that emudeck will want and copy the files over very easily. This assumes I get the drive before I get the deck.

(snip another livejournal entry)

Well you sure seem to know how the Deck works before even having one, so no advice is needed. Enjoy!

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 14, 2024

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
You can also just add your windows SMB shares in dolphin on the steam deck if you are looking for a persistent connection to the steam deck. I have my rom drive on there and I generally don't use it to play stuff but it makes it much easier to add / delete things from my windows pc.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Barreft posted:

Well you sure seem to know how the Deck works before even having one, so no advice is needed. Enjoy!

It's more that when I see filezilla or warpinator or kde link thrown around, it seems like I can't choose where to put the files and they will default to going to one specific place. Like filezilla won't give me access to the SD card directly. That's my only concern with using ssh

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

It's more that when I see filezilla or warpinator or kde link thrown around, it seems like I can't choose where to put the files and they will default to going to one specific place. Like filezilla won't give me access to the SD card directly. That's my only concern with using ssh

You haven't researched it enough at all then. You can move files between the deck storage itself and the sd card, and make folders/files in both. It just acts as another drive, you can fully access everything on your deck drive and sd card.

I use winscp. Warpinator/kde connect are different and suck bad.

E: hell I was playing FFV pixel remaster and it had the new bad fonts, so while still having the game open I downloaded and moved the blocky SNES font files to the folder on the deck and restarted the game to load them. You can move anything anywhere while the Deck is on, even in game.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 14, 2024

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

One week into having a 512gb OLED I scratched the screen... Was just about to order a protector, too (it's on the way now). The power was out from a windstorm and I was taking it to a family member's place where a generator was running so I could charge it. I forgot to zip up the case and it fell out onto my gravel driveway.

There's a about a millimeter round chip of sorts at the bottom middle and few scratches on the upper right of the screen, but only the chip is noticeable in game. The center of the right stick got a dent, too. But, I have to say it is a well built device since everything has been function OK. I'm still real sad about it, though.

So, remember to zip up!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Barreft posted:

You haven't researched it enough at all then. You can move files between the deck storage itself and the sd card, and make folders/files in both. It just acts as another drive, you can fully access everything on your deck drive and sd card.

I use winscp. Warpinator/kde connect are different and suck bad.

E: hell I was playing FFV pixel remaster and it had the new bad fonts, so while still having the game open I downloaded and moved the blocky SNES font files to the folder on the deck and restarted the game to load them. You can move anything anywhere while the Deck is on, even in game.

Oh, that's a ton easier than having to use the flash drive. Thought I'd have to babysit the process in desktop mode no matter the method I'd use. Thanks for letting me know that!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

AzureSkys posted:

One week into having a 512gb OLED I scratched the screen... Was just about to order a protector, too (it's on the way now). The power was out from a windstorm and I was taking it to a family member's place where a generator was running so I could charge it. I forgot to zip up the case and it fell out onto my gravel driveway.

There's a about a millimeter round chip of sorts at the bottom middle and few scratches on the upper right of the screen, but only the chip is noticeable in game. The center of the right stick got a dent, too. But, I have to say it is a well built device since everything has been function OK. I'm still real sad about it, though.

So, remember to zip up!

If you've only had it for a week you can most likely submit a support request to steam and they'll RMA it for you if the screen can't just be fixed outright.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Chiming in to say FileZilla is piss and you should use WinSCP instead. Pretty sure FileZilla still packs in (optional) malware junk with their installers.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I’ve had my OLED for about a week, but just got the chance to try using wired headphones with it and discovered my unit has the bad static issue. How onerous/long is the RMA process generally?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Working with Steam support back in December was rough. More than a day per reply, and they made me do 5 or so different troubleshooting steps before offering physical support.

This unit was out of warranty so the situatioan was a little different, but it ddin't leave a great taste in my mouth. I don't look forward to another support ticket.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Working with Steam support back in December was rough. More than a day per reply, and they made me do 5 or so different troubleshooting steps before offering physical support.

This unit was out of warranty so the situatioan was a little different, but it ddin't leave a great taste in my mouth. I don't look forward to another support ticket.

That's my experience with steam support as well when I had issues with a brand new OLED. After almost 2 weeks of them messing around, I put in a second RMA to refund instead of repair before the return period was up. Steam has a no questions asked policy so be sure to take advantage of it because their CS support needs major improvement.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

If you've only had it for a week you can most likely submit a support request to steam and they'll RMA it for you if the screen can't just be fixed outright.

Why would they RMA something that’s been accidentally damaged, that’s not a warranty issue

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

It's not exactly what I think you're asking about, but I bought a ProCase Flip Cover for my Switch and, because I liked it so much, I also got one for my Steam Deck.

The Switch benefits a lot more from the size increase than the Deck does. I barely notice a difference in how the Steam Deck feels to hold other than being grippier.

Neither fit into their official docks when the case is on, unfortunately.

I'll leave the Amazon links to both here because I really like them as a minimalist case to have in your daily bag or on public transit. As a Steam Deck grip case it probably isn't what you want unless you just need just a bit more bulk.

Switch: https://a.co/d/20HhxEi
Steam Deck: https://a.co/d/b21uxph

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Im sure everyone agrees Cult of Lamb is amazing, but I just started it.

If you think you'd like Binding of Isaac but are turned off by the art, please, you owe it to yourself to try Cult of Lamb.

It's so good, so vibrant (even on regular deck), and there's a great combination of Animal Crossing and BoI.

It's not on sale but I don't feel bad about paying full price.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dang ok. I bought it on sale awhile ago and haven’t played yet.

I have been reliving my teens with THPS 1+2. It is a perfect deck game. Wish they would make more of these games.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A friend gifted me Shovel Knight Dig for Christmas and that's a real good Deck game too, perfect for the screen size and quick to jump in and out of, thoroughly recommended.

I need to buy Tony Hawk at some point, I only played the second one but it was a game for the ages.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Beastie posted:

If you think you'd like Binding of Isaac but are turned off by the art, please, you owe it to yourself to try Cult of Lamb.

It's so good, so vibrant (even on regular deck), and there's a great combination of Animal Crossing and BoI.

I've heard that it gets repetitive after a while and I have a weird mental block with starting a game I think I won't finish. But I'm gonna give it a go. It's a new year and a new me

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Rolo posted:

Dang ok. I bought it on sale awhile ago and haven’t played yet.

I have been reliving my teens with THPS 1+2. It is a perfect deck game. Wish they would make more of these games.

I slept on this for so long because I originally bought it on Epic. Heroic is now a much smoother experience, and I even set up the cloud sync for it.

Now I have Goldfinger's Superman stuck in my head, just like when I was 12 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Beastie posted:

The sex update comes out in just two days!