Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
a stripped out Vette is loud. That's just all there is to it. Hell, my non stripped out with the cutouts open is loud. I enjoy that part of it. The being involved in "races" with Accords and Ford F150s not so much, but sometimes amusing.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It's always funny when people try to race me. I giggle as they zoom off, cut their clapped out turd through traffic and I say to myself, "children."

Also, I had an F150 in my trunk on the way to work yesterday. Dropped from 6th to 4th, grumpy boy slowed back and then decided to pass on the left. What I had forgotten and missed about catbacks is they help keep tailgaters at bay.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 11, 2024

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Full Collapse posted:

It's always funny when people try to race me. I giggle as they zoom off, cut their clapped out turd through traffic and I say to myself, "children."

They're always trying so hard. I'm taking off in 2nd gear with no throttle and shifting directly to 4th and they're over there with the RPMs screaming. I mean, my car isn't fast, it's only 10s in the 1/4 mile, but it's enough to beat your shitbox, dude.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The humblest humblebrag ever

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Motronic posted:

Is J.C. Whitney still as thing? They used to have the most epic sized section of their catalog dedicated to stick on chrome for every generation of vette VW Beetle.

We used to pour over that catalog and talk about what awesome vans and VW's we were going to have when we got older. That was the stuff of dreams.

Someday I'll have a Beetle with a fiberglass RR hood and a stinger...

someday...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh yeah, that was a whole other section of the catalog. In between was the tin foil thickness replacement body panels (I had a set of their fenders on my '74 F250 - they didn't fit and were so thin they flexed when you touched them).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The pussy wagon guy from Kill Bill was probably a JC Whitney stock holder.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Full Collapse posted:

The best is when you're in your own not-fast ricer (with requisite body crap, exhaust, etc of a late 90s/early 00s rice bucket, but it's really just a stock Civic EX with shitloads of blowby on a very tired D16Y8), and someone else pulls up next to you at a light, then bangs the rev limiter a bit. You look in your mirror and there's a cop directly behind them, so you rev back, slip the clutch a little to jerk forward, etc. Then when the light turns green, you slowwwwwwwly ease the clutch out at idle while 2F2F bro does a mad 1 wheel peel with crazy wheel hop and barely beats a Geo Metro through the intersection.

ACAB etc, but if you're going to line up for a street race in your clapped out Celica, CHECK YOUR loving MIRRORS FOR COPS, ESPECIALLY DIRECTLY BEHIND YOU! Cop was laughing his rear end off when I took off slow, gave me a thumbs up when he went by. Been 25 years, I still wonder how many tickets that dude got. Or if the cop could keep a straight face when dealing with him. It was in no way an unmarked car either - 9C1 Caprice with full BRIGHT logos, light bars, spots, etc. You only miss that by being a loving idiot.

Motronic posted:

Is J.C. Whitney still as thing? They used to have the most epic sized section of their catalog dedicated to stick on chrome for every generation of vette.

Sir, not only are they still a thing, they still do printed stuff. It's now a "magazine" instead of a catalog, with the real meat being online, but seeing as most print stuff has gone the way of the dodo bird... (they're now part of carparts.com though) Looks like the bulk is Jeep stuff now though.

Reminds me. I got a PHONE BOOK dropped off at my door today. I didn't know those still existed. Only 1.5" thick instead of a baby forearm tho.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 11, 2024

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

randomidiot posted:

Reminds me. I got a PHONE BOOK dropped off at my door today. I didn't know those still existed. Only 1.5" thick instead of a baby forearm tho.

A few years back I got an AMAZON catalog in the mail. I stood at my mailbox staring at it for a second, "I don't REMEMBER taking any drugs and yet, hallucinations".

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

boxen posted:

A few years back I got an AMAZON catalog in the mail. I stood at my mailbox staring at it for a second, "I don't REMEMBER taking any drugs and yet, hallucinations".

Amazon sends the annual toy catalog to our house, because they've realized we have a small child.

We also get a quarterly Uline catalog, because my wife once ordered some jewelry boxes for her Etsy shop. That bastard is usually 3/4" thick, and has to get folded to fit in our mailbox.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PitViper posted:

Amazon sends the annual toy catalog to our house, because they've realized we have a small child.

We also get a quarterly Uline catalog, because my wife once ordered some jewelry boxes for her Etsy shop. That bastard is usually 3/4" thick, and has to get folded to fit in our mailbox.

I only got their toy catalog once, we only have a cat. that should be enough to get a catalog

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bird with big dick posted:

The humblest humblebrag ever

everyone has a different reference point for what fast is, lol

speaking of which, what happened to forums user tehk

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

everyone has a different reference point for what fast is, lol

speaking of which, what happened to forums user tehk

I mean, factory street cars go 10s now. Hell, the Demon goes 8s, but that's kind of a special deal. To me, fast is going in the 8s. 9-10s 1/4 miles are quick, but not FAST. it's so easy to make big power now. Hell, my drag and drive build is looking to be around 1000 hp, and that's not even really pushing beyond a stroked LS with boost.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Finished a fluids service and the spark plug change on my Prius. Changed the inverter coolant, main engine coolant, and transmission fluid.

I managed to install the new ignition coil bolt without shearing this one off.

The next projects will be front brake pads and a brake fluid change.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Finished a fluids service and the spark plug change on my Prius. Changed the inverter coolant, main engine coolant, and transmission fluid.

If you ever want OEM part numbers and national warehouse availability, feel free to PM me your VIN. I work at a Toyota dealer in MD and would be happy to get you whatever I could.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

What generation? I have a second and a hybrid shop I had it inspected at a couple times told me to make absolutely sure none of the keys got near it while doing the brakes. It apparently fires up the actuator and will pop the pistons out

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Doing some high quality electrical work

OK just for a test, that fuse doesn't get power until the half beams are on, but I wanna supply power when just the parking lights are on. It did work. I could technically leave it like that since this will only power a switch. Gonna rewire the switch so it runs a relay instead.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Night Danger Moose posted:

If you ever want OEM part numbers and national warehouse availability, feel free to PM me your VIN. I work at a Toyota dealer in MD and would be happy to get you whatever I could.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Luckily, so far in 6 years of ownership it's only ever needed the barest of regular maintenance.

fknlo posted:

What generation? I have a second and a hybrid shop I had it inspected at a couple times told me to make absolutely sure none of the keys got near it while doing the brakes. It apparently fires up the actuator and will pop the pistons out

It's a 2015, so third generation I believe. I don't like having keys for push to start stuff anywhere near the car because I'm extra paranoid, but this is a good watch out. I know as soon as you touch the driver's door handle and open the door with the keys in your pocket you can hear what I guess is the brake booster pressurizing the system.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Search for "add a fuse" on Amazon or wherever. Basically the same thing but a little more secure.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Push a fuse breaker for the brake servo as you leave the car. :unsmigghh:

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 14, 2024

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

EvilBeard posted:

I mean, factory street cars go 10s now. Hell, the Demon goes 8s, but that's kind of a special deal. To me, fast is going in the 8s. 9-10s 1/4 miles are quick, but not FAST. it's so easy to make big power now. Hell, my drag and drive build is looking to be around 1000 hp, and that's not even really pushing beyond a stroked LS with boost.

I mean, if your frame of reference is the local track then yea but I’d say anything at 12 and lower now is quick enough to be considered fast for a street car.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mr-Spain posted:

I mean, if your frame of reference is the local track then yea but I’d say anything at 12 and lower now is quick enough to be considered fast for a street car.

a bone stock mustang does mid-12s according to the magazines, does that count as fast?

if you're comparing against all the camrys in the work parking lot, then yeah i guess it is fast. if all your friends have reasonably fun cars then that becomes your baseline. it's probably pretty cool if your friends all have sloppy mechanics style gutted ls swap turbo builds, hah

in my case, i have one friend of a friend who has a 600hp evo that is never running, and other than that my 315-ish hp is the only fun car in the group. if someone shows up with a 10-second car they come in big dick swingin'. but surely in many groups that's nothing special

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

a bone stock mustang does mid-12s according to the magazines, does that count as fast?

if you're comparing against all the camrys in the work parking lot, then yeah i guess it is fast. if all your friends have reasonably fun cars then that becomes your baseline. it's probably pretty cool if your friends all have sloppy mechanics style gutted ls swap turbo builds, hah

in my case, i have one friend of a friend who has a 600hp evo that is never running, and other than that my 315-ish hp is the only fun car in the group. if someone shows up with a 10-second car they come in big dick swingin'. but surely in many groups that's nothing special

Exactly. Premium muscle/sport cars do 12s easily. A few bolt ons and it's into the 10s (my scenario at around 700 whp). It's all about context. 10s are pretty quick (back a decade ago it would have been crazy), but with the exponential increases of horsepower (and especially OEM horsepower) that's just not all that fast anymore in the grand scheme of things, even for just street cars with a pair of radials on them.

as an actual thread update: I changed out the plug wires on the car, new Accel ceramics. I had a couple fail due to the high heat of the long tube headers. I bought heat wrap for them and hopefully that takes care of the wire deterioration part of it, the ceramic insulators seem to be fine.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 14, 2024

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
how do ceramic insulators work, on a wire that has to bend? is it like the ball-and-socket interlocking ceramic beads i see used to insulate high voltage wire in vacuum chambers that aren't allowed to have plastic in them? i have never seen that used in an automotive context, and kinda doubt it would be fluids-proof (that's kind of the point in the vacuum chamber, they don't trap gases)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

how do ceramic insulators work, on a wire that has to bend? is it like the ball-and-socket interlocking ceramic beads i see used to insulate high voltage wire in vacuum chambers that aren't allowed to have plastic in them? i have never seen that used in an automotive context, and kinda doubt it would be fluids-proof (that's kind of the point in the vacuum chamber, they don't trap gases)

It's just the part that goes on the plug itself. I had 2 fail this spring, and in checking everything again, another connection deteriorated. I used good ones from the last set, since they're 150 bucks a set. Hopefully I solve the problem with a little more protection for the wire itself. It not, I might have to just invest in crimpers and build a couple wires a year. Even with the Cerakote on the headers, they get very hot. I really don't want to heat wrap them. I guess I could send them to ProKote and have them dipped inside and out to see if that helps. The ceramic holds up fine, it's just the wire/connection part on the plug that fails.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
oh i see, neat. were your failures of the wire insulation, or of the ceramic connector body?

ive re-crimped regular wires that just push into silicone boots and it's ezpz if you have a good crimper. we were just talking about iwiss in the tool thread, and the spark plug wire crimper (LY-2048 for 8.5mm in my case) is the first one of theirs i bought. so far so good!

in fact, it looked like the PO just sort of crushed em with pliers and didn't get a good crimp, then some pulled out when i did plugs, and when i re-terminated them with the proper crimper they looked 20x better and ive had no issues since.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

EvilBeard posted:

I mean, my car isn't fast, it's only 10s in the 1/4 mile

Have we really gotten to the point where what is in reality a stupid fast car doing 10's isnt remarkable?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Suburban Dad posted:

Search for "add a fuse" on Amazon or wherever. Basically the same thing but a little more secure.

Yeah I know I saw one at my local hardware chainstore and said 6 euros for that, fuuuck you.

Since the concept seems to be working out I might get one anyway.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

oh i see, neat. were your failures of the wire insulation, or of the ceramic connector body?

ive re-crimped regular wires that just push into silicone boots and it's ezpz if you have a good crimper. we were just talking about iwiss in the tool thread, and the spark plug wire crimper (LY-2048 for 8.5mm in my case) is the first one of theirs i bought. so far so good!

in fact, it looked like the PO just sort of crushed em with pliers and didn't get a good crimp, then some pulled out when i did plugs, and when i re-terminated them with the proper crimper they looked 20x better and ive had no issues since.

The wire/insulation right where it gets crimped on. When I went to pull them off the plug, they just disintegrated and fell apart. The ceramics are fine (I broke one earlier this year because I dropped it), but the wire just breaks down. Since it happened again, I bought some heat shielding and put it on the wires up to the coils. I hope that just protects the wire bits enough. The supercharger and headers make the engine bay considerably hotter.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Have we really gotten to the point where what is in reality a stupid fast car doing 10's isnt remarkable?

I believe so.

TRX 12.7s (at like 7000 pounds)
Raptor 12.2s (on stock tires on the video I found)
Hellcat 11.5s
Mustang GT 12.2s
Camaro ZL1 11.4s
C8 10.5s

And that's just the domestic performance vehicles I could find, and their previous generations aren't that far off that. So say you're running 10.70s which is a pretty good pass, you're not that much faster than those stock cars. And that's not even factoring in more import options, both European and Asian. Performance is just so much better than it used to be. Those models with a few bolt on mods are right there in that range.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Fiancee drove up to PA yesterday to pick up fresh(er) seats and steering wheel for the SHO-swapped wagon. We had to do a cold start on it to move it so we could put them in the back so of course I had to get a video.

https://i.imgur.com/MpkeYjs.mp4

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

More wiring stuff for the extra fog lights. I had to disassemble the knee bolster to get access to the wiring.

I figured here is as good as any place for the relay. I'll wire up the new lights straight to the battery so maybe I should move the relay to the other side. I will be grounding the relay through the left side high beam bulb though so it's also close to that.

I found a suitable grommet in the firewall I was able to run the wire through

I spliced into the fog light switch, I decided not to cut the original wire. But I removed a bit of the insulation and poked a hole in the strands, then threaded the new wire through it and looped it a few times for a strong mechanical connection. Then I soldered it. Using solder instead of a crimp is probably a bit controversial but I've read that in situations where the joint is free to move like here, it should be fine.

Then self-vulcanizing tape over all that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My dick isn’t big, only 12” :smuggo:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

I don't fold it in half for anyone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Yeah thats pretty small actually.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah thats pretty small actually.

I dunno, I heard a lot of dicks were running 12s these days.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Fiancee drove up to PA yesterday to pick up fresh(er) seats and steering wheel for the SHO-swapped wagon. We had to do a cold start on it to move it so we could put them in the back so of course I had to get a video.

https://i.imgur.com/MpkeYjs.mp4

That sounds so good. Have you posted about this car before? If so, link please.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

LloydDobler posted:

That sounds so good. Have you posted about this car before? If so, link please.

This was actually the first post with it. It technically belongs to him, but I've tried bugging him to get an SA account to no avail yet. We've only had it a few weeks and we didn't do the swap, it was done by the previous owner, but I'll be posting updates as we work on it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went to a hockey tournament in Washington State. We had blizzard conditions so I got new tires put on the day before (bfg AT KO2) onto my 4runner. I had nitto terra grapplers which were okay and lasted a long time but sucked in the rain. They had 60k on them with s lot of life left but they were getting sketchy in rain and losing their ability off road. The BFGs were amazing in the snow and ice for non winter specific tires. I also had to buy new chains because my old chains no longer fit.

It was -15 to -20f at the tournament and it wreaked havoc on people's cars. My buddies diesel f250 gelled. My rear hatch struts just wouldn't hold it up. My passenger door locks wouldn't operate. Doors froze shut. Lots of people's batteries died.

As I was pulling in to home I heard a metal on metal grinding sound coming from my rear passenger brake. I had my wife drive it in a parking lot and walked next to it. I think my caliper might have seized and the pad nuked itself. The rotor looked like it was crudely machined and my brake pad looks like it's just the backing metal remaining. I rotated my tires a few weeks ago and the pads still had a lot of life left.

4th Gen 4runner brakes are the bane of my existence. The fronts have been great ever since I replaced them with the larger tundra calipers and rotors 10 years ago but the rears just suck. I'll be heading to Napa today to get all new calipers, rotors and pads. Fun stuff.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Verman posted:

I got new tires put on the day before (bfg AT KO2) onto my 4runner

White letters out, right?