Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My ideal apartment ratio:

15% bedroom
15% gaming room
10% bathroom
20% kitchen
40% greenhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Moving gives me anxiety so I usually start to pack things as early as possible, even months in advance; with daily essentials being packed on the day of. It makes the task of moving seem a lot less daunting if I can spread the packing out over a longer period of time. Once I'm at the new place I will unpack everything as quickly as possible.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
having a kid means we have 10x as much stuff as last time we moved years ago so we are just flooded with random poo poo I'm losing my mind

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Halser posted:

cmon you can't say that and not share which song it is

https://willyrodriguez.bandcamp.com/track/stop-calling

i am a sucker for lo-fi bullshit

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Whirling posted:

I have activated the autistic urge to listen to a new song I like 40 times in a row, pray for me

40 times? i've been listening to the nier ost for 15 years

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Homeless Friend posted:

same

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
watching the lions game and there's some commercial about how ADHD is a superpower. the tide is turning...

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
:hai:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
go rams

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nothing to do with autism i just want to my support the winning team. the rams

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't understand American football at all but it looks like they're having a good time

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
one big reason I didn't like adderall was it killed any interest in watching football

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I wouldn't mind football but it really bothers me when people yell loudly at the TV and usually people don't stop when I ask them to.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Y'all ever disassociate so hard you start to question if happiness is a state the human brain is capable of feeling

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

Y'all ever disassociate so hard you start to question if happiness is a state the human brain is capable of feeling
yes ur havin alexithymia
it can get better rly fast

you have too much stuff competing for your mental and emotional energy you need to reduce the things in your head rn

the best thing ive found is not worry about fixing it, and try to take care of the most obvious thing you need or want then the next, thirsty hungry sore bored tired etc

don't avoid or ignore stuff - don't think about stuff you're not doing rn as much as possible, don't let your mind wander it'll make your emotions shift and it'll make it worse
pay attn to what you're looking at and hearing and smelling feeling that kinda simple mindfulness stuff works really good for making that stop happening

if you can't do something, just don't do it rn and do what you can in order of your needs, don't leave it hanging as something u need to get to, consciously end that thing and move to the next thing you get like doing until it starts to feel more natural

make sure ur not doing what you think you should be doing
you have to let your emotions and thoughts line up basically

the more you do that the more your stuff will untangle and you'll feel like a person whose yourself and existing right now and not split across a hundred diff things unable to prioritize what's actually happening, which where ur emotions are

disassociation is basically partitioning your consciousness up you just don't notice it because you're not letting diff parts touch or they're not able to
it prevents emotions and thoughts from fully resolving once it gets bad i think
then when it's hard to tell what emotion you're feeling at all it gets really hard, i don't think there's a limit to how bad it can get once it becomes a habit for coping

if you can let yourself just exist and do stuff you'll be able to tell what you're feeling/have that numb bad feeling go away a little bit more each step, if it stops getting better, you are not doing what you want to be doing, if you get that feeling when you know you're doing what you want to be doing, it's bc you're thinking about something else, u wanna train yourself to catch when that happens, then you'll be able to tell what you're feeling and be able to feel happy. its all still there you just have it split up too much & need to consolidate ur mind, ganbatte

also its one of the things ketamine fixes in about 5 minutes if u can't get a handle on it. i couldn't figure it out but after having it go away it seems like i can keep it from coming back w/o drugs

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
If you don't mind me saying so fnln you are a very astute person

FirstnameLastname posted:

the best thing ive found is not worry about fixing it, and try to take care of the most obvious thing you need or want then the next, thirsty hungry sore bored tired etc

don't avoid or ignore stuff - don't think about stuff you're not doing rn as much as possible, don't let your mind wander it'll make your emotions shift and it'll make it worse
pay attn to what you're looking at and hearing and smelling feeling that kinda simple mindfulness stuff works really good for making that stop happening

Ajaan Chah posted:

So we say that mental activity is like the deadly poisonous cobra. If we don't interfere with a cobra, it simply goes its own way. Even though it may be extremely poisonous, we are not affected by it; we don't go near it or take hold of it, and it doesn't bite us. The cobra does what is natural for a cobra to do. That's the way it is. If you are clever you'll leave it alone. And so you let be that which is good. You also let be that which is not good - let it be according to its own nature. Let be your liking and your disliking, the same way as you don't interfere with the cobra.
I kinda feel weird about intruding on this thread as I am not autistic per any professional that I've spoken to. But I had developmentally significant OCD and very early gender dysphoria and so it's like, a huge resonance there in some aspects. i kinda feel more like a haunted mynah bird than a person sometimes, with the hyperconnected brain and tendency towards alexithymia and resulting weird somatic stuff. it's nice to see that i'm not alone in that. but not nice to see it of course :(.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Karach posted:

hello autists. nice thread you have here. I'd like to look some of you in the eye and discuss it amicably for a while

this + HARDCORE avatar is just..... so perfect

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
As an also-schizo dissociation to cope... reading "there's no real upper limit to how bad the disconnection gets once it's your coping mechanism" was very hmmm yes

I can't feel the need to urinate anymore because for whatever reason I put it off enough times I just like, stay "not peeing" and when the dissociation of "everything just feels bad and wrong for no reason" really ramps up I just give it a red hot go and 70% of the time that was the problem

It's an effective survival mechanism but when you stand in fire and you're dissociating from fire and then you're a dead rear end bitch well,

That monk who meditated through self-immolation was totally different tho that dude died and did not return to samsara. He's cool

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
I honestly find entering a meditative state easier than a dissociative once but I like, forget? Slips my mind somehow?

Like just feel awful and I'm still like "oh yeah! If I just acknowledge the awful it'll all be alright. And I'm very good at that I've been practising 8 years now!"

I think the untreated adhd is where important stuff like breathing and feeling goes to the wayside, for me

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
Oh God I often restrain myself from doing this but literally all of you get into some real basic mindfulness meditation and all this poo poo rolls so much better

Annoying buzzing fluorescent light? Stare at it! Hear it! Let it overflow you till nothing else exists! Now it's an annoying light and you can at least like go to where it isn't or whatever it's stopped being such a loving drama

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
I'm Australian and I've held off saying c*nt a lot but like I want to is it cool it flows with my dialect well imagine it with a softer t at the end instead of a hard aspirated one that yanks do. It's less rude.

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
oval office in question is fluorescence

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

nice obelisk idiot posted:

I kinda feel weird about intruding on this thread as I am not autistic per any professional that I've spoken to. But I had developmentally significant OCD and very early gender dysphoria and so it's like, a huge resonance there in some aspects. i kinda feel more like a haunted mynah bird than a person sometimes, with the hyperconnected brain and tendency towards alexithymia and resulting weird somatic stuff. it's nice to see that i'm not alone in that. but not nice to see it of course :(.

you are welcome in this thread, friend

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Moving gives me anxiety so I usually start to pack things as early as possible, even months in advance; with daily essentials being packed on the day of. It makes the task of moving seem a lot less daunting if I can spread the packing out over a longer period of time. Once I'm at the new place I will unpack everything as quickly as possible.

:yeah: This is how we're doing it now, slowly filtering out junk and then packing the remains. And we have to do this with 2 locations into one truck since we're getting married and leaving town.

Since it's cross country and we're making 3 trips, one by plane, one by car, one by car and moving truck, I want to make mission patches and name it like a space program lol, since there be Mission 1, 2 and 3. I also will say some variation of "capturing the point" once we arrive with our poo poo.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Ol sakkman posted:

I can't feel the need to urinate anymore because for whatever reason I put it off enough times I just like, stay "not peeing" and when the dissociation of "everything just feels bad and wrong for no reason" really ramps up I just give it a red hot go and 70% of the time that was the problem
If you are interested in trying to get sensation back, there's exercises on youtube to help free up the pudednal nerve, as dissociation has a physical component. Also exercises for vaginismus regardless of anatomy may be helpful, as the body sort of shuts off sensations of needing to pee in a similar way.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

sounds like if you need to disassociate for this question to occur, its precisely the inverse :smugdon: pure logic

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos

nice obelisk idiot posted:

If you are interested in trying to get sensation back, there's exercises on youtube to help free up the pudednal nerve, as dissociation has a physical component. Also exercises for vaginismus regardless of anatomy may be helpful, as the body sort of shuts off sensations of needing to pee in a similar way.

I've never been taken seriously much less given advice when I bring this up. Thank you

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
You may know what drug induced dystonia is. I have that

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

FirstnameLastname posted:

yes ur havin alexithymia
it can get better rly fast

you have too much stuff competing for your mental and emotional energy you need to reduce the things in your head rn

if you can't do something, just don't do it rn and do what you can in order of your needs, don't leave it hanging as something u need to get to, consciously end that thing and move to the next thing you get like doing until it starts to feel more natural

make sure ur not doing what you think you should be doing
you have to let your emotions and thoughts line up basically

the more you do that the more your stuff will untangle and you'll feel like a person whose yourself and existing right now and not split across a hundred diff things unable to prioritize what's actually happening, which where ur emotions are

disassociation is basically partitioning your consciousness up you just don't notice it because you're not letting diff parts touch or they're not able to
it prevents emotions and thoughts from fully resolving once it gets bad i think
then when it's hard to tell what emotion you're feeling at all it gets really hard, i don't think there's a limit to how bad it can get once it becomes a habit for coping

if you can let yourself just exist and do stuff you'll be able to tell what you're feeling/have that numb bad feeling go away a little bit more each step, if it stops getting better, you are not doing what you want to be doing, if you get that feeling when you know you're doing what you want to be doing, it's bc you're thinking about something else, u wanna train yourself to catch when that happens, then you'll be able to tell what you're feeling and be able to feel happy. its all still there you just have it split up too much & need to consolidate ur mind, ganbatte

also its one of the things ketamine fixes in about 5 minutes if u can't get a handle on it. i couldn't figure it out but after having it go away it seems like i can keep it from coming back w/o drugs

thanks FNLN, this helped

turned out going to the dentist and having them run a drill next to my ears for two hours can be a little overwhelming! who knew

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Homeless Friend posted:

sounds like if you need to disassociate for this question to occur, its precisely the inverse :smugdon: pure logic

gently caress

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
I've got valid grounds for free detox, can afford subsidised rehab for 3 months right after with Dr and both psychs on site, properly treat this dystonia and sort adhd meds while I'm at it

And fix my drug situation. That's in there too. Go hand in hand

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
Autism was my first pretty big "problem" but its not even remotely my biggest. I'm fond of it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

thanks FNLN, this helped

turned out going to the dentist and having them run a drill next to my ears for two hours can be a little overwhelming! who knew

I can't do real dentistry without either benzos or nitrous. the latter is usually what I do but is more expensive of course

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I can't do real dentistry without either benzos or nitrous. the latter is usually what I do but is more expensive of course

I dissociated my way through that poo poo and MRIs etc I hadn't yet discovered the magic words to get drugs from doctors

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
MRIs kick rear end imo because it's like an industrial-style white noise machine you get to relax inside of

Jan 17, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Jan 17, 2024

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
Holy poo poo I'm eligible for free rear end brain surgery to fix the neuralgia/dystonia/nerve poo poo I've had going on like 7 years now. Australia rules

I've just been trying and getting addicted to medications like an IDIOT

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Homeless Friend posted:

same but its the curse of monkey island soundtrack for oh god oh no

011624_3
Jan 17, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

MRIs kick rear end imo because it's like an industrial-style white noise machine you get to relax inside of

magnetic hugbox