Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

If you want confusing place names with Arabia in them, historical Bessarabia is located northwest of the Black Sea

and how about

e: well dang. 135 is the approximate count of different moomin mug designs so far (probably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Classic Keith

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1746468725958566041?s=46

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

If you want confusing place names with Arabia in them, historical Bessarabia is located northwest of the Black Sea

I had never actually noticed that that was how you spell Bessarabia. I'd always just read it as Bessarbia

mrpwase posted:

And don't get me started on Georgia, or Iberia

That's also ancient Albania in the Caucasus, covering parts of Dagestan & Azerbaijan.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Shocking to see a goon who doesn't have an excellent grasp on modern and historical geography thanks to thousands of hours of map games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Shocking to see a goon who doesn't have an excellent grasp on modern and historical geography thanks to thousands of hours of map games.

I think I will go to my grave taking five seconds to rememebr that Sri Lanka is not called Ceylon.

I spent far too long playing as the maratha confederacy in empire total war.

It's a shame at the time I didn't know of mods that would expand their tech tree because it's kinda weird that they just... can't use any of the late technologies. Like mate I conquered the whole continent I should be able to figure out "have the guys in front duck so the guys behind can shoot"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
civ kind of fucks with your understanding of place name geography

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Not my fault nobody else wants to learn about the Third American-Holy Roman Hyperwar, finally ended when HRE mechas marched into the nuclear ruins of St Louis

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
interviewing keith must be fairly standard by now, you just see what he's done recently and google the issue to find him saying the opposite earlier. then just watch him mumble about how no that's not what he really meant and then go "wtf dude" and cut to the next segment

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

civ kind of fucks with your understanding of place name geography

Please don't tell me you actually think all the Japanese Cities are named Cum, Cum2, Cum3 etc.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

interviewing keith must be fairly standard by now, you just see what he's done recently and google the issue to find him saying the opposite earlier. then just watch him mumble about how no that's not what he really meant and then go "wtf dude" and cut to the next segment

Imagine carrying out the requisite sucking up, networking and journalistic fellatio to reach the point where you're a 'big name' enough to interview a major political figure, and then they just lie and no-one gives a poo poo and you try really hard not to care that your job is a waste of everyone's time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Solefald posted:

Please don't tell me you actually think all the Japanese Cities are named Cum, Cum2, Cum3 etc.
Of course not, that all changed during the Bakumatsu.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Imagine carrying out the requisite sucking up, networking and journalistic fellatio to reach the point where you're a 'big name' enough to interview a major political figure, and then they just lie and no-one gives a poo poo and you try really hard not to care that your job is a waste of everyone's time

I would posit that the point of an interviewer is to make people give a poo poo but none of them are any good at it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't know about you, but I've never heard about this poo poo I just made up until I just made it up. Ridiculous! Me making up all this poo poo. Anyway...
https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1746247768681709574

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1746525440150298792

:toot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Killing us all before we can ourselves gets counted as a win in the spreadsheet.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The return of one of the CUKTIG six! Could this mean a long awaited redemption arc for Mike Gapes?

I expect the Lib Dems will be sad to lose such a huge name and well respected talent though.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Saudi isn'[t one I struggle with cos its like its own clearly defined thing with seas around it and stuff. Its ones in the middle of land masses that I lose track of whats where.

What does surprise me about saudi is its like the largest country in the middle east but with one of the relatively smaller populations.

Yeah, look at an unlabelled map of Europe and correctly identify Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria and Romania. It's loving hard.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I think I will go to my grave taking five seconds to rememebr that Sri Lanka is not called Ceylon.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

I don't know about you, but I've never heard about this poo poo I just made up until I just made it up. Ridiculous! Me making up all this poo poo. Anyway...
https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1746247768681709574

Did something happen to turn him into a headmelter, or was he just hiding it? Because I seem to remember that he used to just present poo poo about beaches, seems an odd turn. Kind of like if your man off of Flog It was suddenly a hardline Titoist or something, just odd.

Keith has the good sense to bring in a political talent here, a real serious policy wonk who won't be suggesting any stupid shite like "maybe we should improve society a little bit" or "more money for services".

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

big scary monsters posted:

The return of one of the CUKTIG six! Could this mean a long awaited redemption arc for Mike Gapes?

I expect the Lib Dems will be sad to lose such a huge name and well respected talent though.

It’s not just me that immediately thinks of Goatse when they see the name Mike Gapes is it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I probably would if I didn't think of MIWK first.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My personal Mike Gapes associations:
- cows in the south, cows in the north, miwk
- goatse
- honourable member for Saudi Arabia
- getting sidelined as a liability by Change UK: The Independent Group for Change, and (presumably) rejected by the Lib Dems

You'll all be pleased to hear that Starmer personally welcomed him back into the Labour Party last year.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ms Adequate posted:

Did something happen to turn him into a headmelter, or was he just hiding it? Because I seem to remember that he used to just present poo poo about beaches, seems an odd turn. Kind of like if your man off of Flog It was suddenly a hardline Titoist or something, just odd.

I think he's another guy who just went down the rabbit hole during lockdown. I think his only real political intervention of note before that was having some takes on the independence referendum, but every famous person who had so much as stepped foot in scotland once was making some vague platitudes that didn't say anything and getting press attention for it so it didn't make him stand out much.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A friend of mine worked with Neil Oliver on a TV show back in the day, and they said he held nationalistic and racist views back then, and wasn't afraid to voice them when the cameras weren't rolling, so he's always been a oval office by the sounds of it

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Christ, what a gruesome trio.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is the sort of analysis we really need

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's like that part in Dr Strangelove where the military guy mentions "modest and acceptable civilian casualties" in a nuclear exchange.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember watching Bloomberg on Sky on 9/11, all the stock tickers rolling across the bottom of the screen blank and the presenter talking to an analyst and asking "well we have to ask, what will this mean for the markets?"

I suppose it's at least a kind of equal opportunity ghoulishness. Someone could kill off their whole family and their first (official) thought would be "so I have to ask about the current policy on inheritance tax."

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Playing through CTRL-ALT-EGO and

:hmmyes:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think it basically does make sense for an economics-focused media channel/paper/magazine to ask that question. Unfortunately global markets are important and how things affect them is too. It feels ghoulish but it’d be odd for Bloomberg or the Economist to not ask the question.

Now I’ve done my sensible bit I’ll wash my mouth out - death to America and victory to all who resist oppression.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

The loving neck on her, after ensuring the Tories kept the seat in my constituency by peeling off a load of Labour votes last Election. gently caress Labour and gently caress her.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Seems slightly suspect to put someone who committed political suicide in charge of suicide prevention.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
fuckin wastes of space

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I honestly thought that was two Keith's either side of her then for a min in that photo. *Shudder*

Shows the whole Corbyn thing to be what it is though. Play ball or leave. So glad the SCG continues to try to change it from the inside (sarcasm)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dead Goon posted:

I'm glad "where countries are" never came up in my Geography GCSE exam, because I was surprised to see where Saudi Arabia actually is on a map!

You live and learn.

In the mid 2000s me and some friends in our early 20s started doing pub quizzes at one of our locals. They weren't that popular so there were only ever a few teams, but we won it like 3 times in a row.

We got a bit cocky and went to a different one in a village which was known locally to be "the hard pub quiz" and one of the rounds was "I've printed out the outlines of 20 countries and islands, you get one point for telling me the name of each of them". They were outlines without any further context, without a consistent or indicated scale, in a random orientation (without North marked etc.), and none of them were easy ones - not like, Italy etc.

It was *loving impossible* to us. And we had about 8 people on our team or something ridiculous. I think there were teams of olds there with like 2-3 people in who got nearly all of them. I think we got maybe one or two.

I can't remember what the rest of the quiz was but I know we did very, very badly. I think we got something ridiculous like 7 points the whole night when the winning team were on like 30 or 40-something points. We did not go back.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

WhatEvil posted:

In the mid 2000s me and some friends in our early 20s started doing pub quizzes at one of our locals. They weren't that popular so there were only ever a few teams, but we won it like 3 times in a row.

We got a bit cocky and went to a different one in a village which was known locally to be "the hard pub quiz" and one of the rounds was "I've printed out the outlines of 20 countries and islands, you get one point for telling me the name of each of them". They were outlines without any further context, without a consistent or indicated scale, in a random orientation (without North marked etc.), and none of them were easy ones - not like, Italy etc.

It was *loving impossible* to us. And we had about 8 people on our team or something ridiculous. I think there were teams of olds there with like 2-3 people in who got nearly all of them. I think we got maybe one or two.

I can't remember what the rest of the quiz was but I know we did very, very badly. I think we got something ridiculous like 7 points the whole night when the winning team were on like 30 or 40-something points. We did not go back.

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I've done that quiz round with the outlines and it's tough, even though I'm pretty good on world geography. It's not a really useful skill to be able to shape-recognise countries devoid of any scale or context though, or at least that's not usually how I interact with a map. loving random archipelago could be Japan or Malta or some Micronesian bullshit idk

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So the government has been advertising its guidance on XL Bullies in the leadup to the ban, and surprise surprise, it's completely vague and includes 3 completely unhelpful images at the bottom.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog

Those are staffies! They look exactly like staffies, particularly the second one, and the 3rd one is the only one that looks even slightly like an XL bully.

The guidance and the advice all concerns what to do if you know you have a bully, but there is zero guidance for what to do if your dog is not a bully, but is tall enough to hit the height qualification - which is basically the only objective measurement in the new standard.

Oh, and it costs 90 quid to apply for a certificate of exemption, but you can only get one if your dog is an XL breed. If your dog might fit that criteria, it doesn't look like there's any way to preemptively exempt it.

In response to the criteria and the cost of the certificates, there's been a huge upsurge in people abandoning staffies and bulky breeds.

Tw for extreme animal cruelty: Apparently XL breeders have been burning the dogs in protest, and a bully was found with its legs tied together having been mutilated to death, but the only source I can find for that is the scum, so take with a pinch of salt.

I know I've said about this before when the criteria was first announced, but especially with the pictures it's loving useless and is actively endangering a whole bunch of other dogs covered by its vagueness.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I don't understand why this thread wants to support people who see Jews as vermin to be killed. I guess Anti-Semitism is okay if the victims aren't in the West. Hamas thinks the Protocol of Zion is a legitimate document and the Houthis say Curse upon the Jews on their flag.

Like, if this isn't enough for you to say "Maybe we should not support these people." then you're telling me, a Jew, that you are not safe to be around and that you will turn on me if you get the chance.

I hope this thread understands that there is a reason why there is only 1 Jew living in Yemen. There used to be half a million before they were expelled/killed by both Houthis and the Yemen government.

Yes, Israel is committing genocide and we, as a nation should be condemning it but the fact that we're not is incredibly shameful, and yes, what we are doing to Yemen is a terrible act that shouldn't have been happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

edit: I take it all back. I was in a foul mood and could have handled it better. Sorry.

Let's just all pretend I'm Owlfancier posting and that my post was the post proceeding this....

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 15, 2024