Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

it ain’t called Exchanging of the Belts!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

it ain’t called Exchanging of the Belts!!!

Phony Con should be sued for false advertising. Every single episode of Battle Of The Belts has only featured human beings wrestling, no belts have ever battled!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He did this without Tony's permission like the glass and the T-shirt but used a gimmick contract so he's still with AEW.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The contract was real. I read it myself.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The contract was real but the tearing was CGI

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The contract was a work, but the "SCAPEGOAT" armband was a SHOOT, brother

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its real and he worked himself into a shoot

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Never seen Purazzo before but I didn't think she looked so hot considering the recent debuts of Aminata and May.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

The contract was real. I read it myself.

Look out guys, Bryan Danielson is here, he's gonna fine us for our posts.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
the facial hair is a work

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

JUNGLE BOY posted:

to really keep the illusion up they should never let him back on aew tv. that would make it really believable

now that's good booking

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Tony: Hey Jack I noticed the paper copy of your contract got torn up, you want my secretary to mail you another one? Do you have a fax machine?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This thread put Jack in HoT in my head now I want Sho teaching Jack the ways of the wrench. Thanks thread

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

He'll clonk someone over the head with Kanemaru's obviously plastic whiskey bottle and make a crack about it being real glass

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SG Bamboo posted:

He'll clonk someone over the head with Kanemaru's obviously plastic whiskey bottle and make a crack about it being real glass

That would actually be a great bit.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah it'd be amazing. Kanemaru/Jack tag team please

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jack should be in HoT unironically

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Jungle Boy joins Bullet Club, AEW gets David Finlay in exchange. Wins all around.

You know that Finlay sucks when noted AEW-hater forkboy would rather have Jack Perry as BC leader instead of Finlay

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What do you guys think of the Cope Open? Is it a star using his stardom to feature young guys or is it just an old guy putting himself over young guys?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Mostly the former with a lil bit of the latter. I'll change my tune if Cope munches on a muffin at a PPV scrum

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Everything Adam Copeland and Christian is WWE as hell and people loving it while hating on MJF taught me a lot. So yeah, a lot of wasting young guys to get Copeland more over, a thing he doesn't need, for another match with Christian, a thing that doesn't need to happen.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Gumball Gumption posted:

Everything Adam Copeland and Christian is WWE as hell and people loving it while hating on MJF taught me a lot. So yeah, a lot of wasting young guys to get Copeland more over, a thing he doesn't need, for another match with Christian, a thing that doesn't need to happen.

Except that's not really what's happening?

Copeland has made two open challenges, given his normally mute opponents mic time, and then has a competitive 10-12 minute match where the announcers put over the challengers' bright future.

Confused how you think that's anything like MJF, which was WWE AS gently caress.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rated R Cope-posting

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NutShellBill posted:

Except that's not really what's happening?

Copeland has made two open challenges, given his normally mute opponents mic time, and then has a competitive 10-12 minute match where the announcers put over the challengers' bright future.

Confused how you think that's anything like MJF, which was WWE AS gently caress.

Oh I'm absolutely positive this is leading to Griff and Lee showing up again and not just disappearing until the next old guy needs someone to beat, just like the last time we saw them.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If that's what ends up happening I'll be sure to post about it in the AEW Hell thread

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Antonio kahn

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

MJeff posted:

What do you guys think of the Cope Open? Is it a star using his stardom to feature young guys or is it just an old guy putting himself over young guys?

For me it's all about the mic time and the competitive nature of the matches that makes it feel-good TV to me. I like Edge and think he still "has it", and it's cool to get first-time-ever matches, and newer guys are getting ring time with a veteran they wouldn't have wrestled otherwise. It gets Copeland on the programming in a way that specifically highlights people that aren't just him while not holding up the title or main event scenes, and the video package for Lee Moriarty was a big step too. I'm not saying that Griff Garrison or Lee Moriarty are going to be made men overnight because of it, but I'm sure they're learning a lot, and I'll take some last Edge matches while he can still bump. Dude had to suddenly retire in 2009, let him wrestle random people and get yelled at by Shane Taylor all he wants.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i’ve been so checked out of aew i didn’t even realize copeland had an open challenge lol

but it’s not for a belt??

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Someone deleted Dave Millican’s number from Tony’s phone

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Christian told Edge to go gently caress himself, that automatically removes it from "WWE style" right there

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Christian Cage losing his title to Copeland and then cashing in to get it back is 100% WWE bullshit and Shayna Wayne's goofy "YOU BOO A MOTHER :byodame:" promos aren't exactly what I watch AEW for, either.

Most of the rest of it is obviously excellent and I think I like the Cope Open, I was just curious what other people thought.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i’ve been so checked out of aew i didn’t even realize copeland had an open challenge lol

He lost to Christian at the PPV, so he's doing an open challenge to earn wins until he can challenge again.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Edge is great and Christian is great, ticket closed

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Adam Copeland brings the raitings system back and im supposed to boo him??

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Racking up wins to challenge for the title held by the guy who constantly cheats in the promotion that dropped rankings last year is pure idiot babyface storytelling.

Hey Adam, you just got screwed out of the belt by getting cashed in on after Christian's lacky won the contract, what are you going to do next?

Well, I'm going to follow the arbitrary rules and it'll just work out :unsmith:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
them not calling it the Copen or Copeland Challenge is their biggest gently caress up imo

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Cope Open is a dumb name, it should be called the Rated R Challenge or something like that. Other than the name I like it though. With how little Moriarty gets used it's funny to think he's gotten to wrestle Punk, Danielson, Mox, and now Cope.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Moriarty finally stopped wearing entrance attire and gear that made it look like he was porky piggin’ it on his way to the ring, time for a push imo

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

little munchkin posted:

nothing gets by this guy

drat this thread wasn't full of AEW stans a few weeks back, but the infiltration has begun!

Sorry that I want to watch a product that is booked with a tiny bit of intrigue or suspense or consistency. :lol:

Like, the whole Battle of the Belts tag is just a tag they use to trying to make a regular show seem like a special occasion. Except they only book predictable squash matches for the titleholders. This is the same thing they have been doing for years. It's sad. You know I want the company to be good and succeed, right? I would MUCH prefer that.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 14, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Battle of the Belts is just "another hour of AEW programming", that's fine. I enjoyed it when it was "Occasionally a 2-hour Rampage" and I enjoy it now when it's "Occasionally a 3-hour Collision". But the whole "three championships will be defended" gimmick is extremely counterintuitive if
A) You're never gonna defend important championships on it.
2) You're never gonna actually change titles on it.

At that point call it something different so the framing device of "every match is for a title" isn't dragging it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i agree in a sense that i think battle of the belts has been completely half baked and never once has felt like a must see show