Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
One Shot, the Scott Adkins vehicle, now has a sequel called One More Shot. Gonna watch it later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huojis
Sep 2, 2011
Watched Cyborg last night, and boy was it great! The first couple of scenes feel kind of sloppy and rushed, albeit with awesome costume design and great, scenery chewing performances, especially from the actor who plays the main bad guy. But then it starts to get into Van Damme's character's backstory, and, like, I know it's not the most profound story in the history of cinema, but I found it compelling, and I really liked how they wanted to inject a human story into a movie that, at first glance, appears to be little more than a schlocky action romp. And, once that's been established, we're treated to some frickin' awesome action scenes, and absolutely killer camerawork. According to Wikipedia, the whole reason the movie exists is because Cannon needed to make some money real quick in order to recover financially after spending $2 million on He-man and Spider-man movies that were both cancelled. Like, I can't imagine Albert Pyun feeling too appreciated when told to just make some movie really quick, as cheaply as possible. But the movie is just great! So much better than it ever needed to be! And the budget is less than $500,000! Come on! Pyun must be a genius.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

One Shot, the Scott Adkins vehicle, now has a sequel called One More Shot. Gonna watch it later today.

gently caress yeah. The first one was much better than it should have been or needed to be. The suicide bombing scene was particularly notable in feeling like it's from a different, much better film.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Huojis posted:

Watched Cyborg last night, and boy was it great! The first couple of scenes feel kind of sloppy and rushed, albeit with awesome costume design and great, scenery chewing performances, especially from the actor who plays the main bad guy. But then it starts to get into Van Damme's character's backstory, and, like, I know it's not the most profound story in the history of cinema, but I found it compelling, and I really liked how they wanted to inject a human story into a movie that, at first glance, appears to be little more than a schlocky action romp. And, once that's been established, we're treated to some frickin' awesome action scenes, and absolutely killer camerawork. According to Wikipedia, the whole reason the movie exists is because Cannon needed to make some money real quick in order to recover financially after spending $2 million on He-man and Spider-man movies that were both cancelled. Like, I can't imagine Albert Pyun feeling too appreciated when told to just make some movie really quick, as cheaply as possible. But the movie is just great! So much better than it ever needed to be! And the budget is less than $500,000! Come on! Pyun must be a genius.

follow it up with Nemesis if you have not seen it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Third better be called One Last Shot

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Need to watch Cyborg cuz I love love Nemesis. Just charming. Could not watch Nemesis 2 though, got about 5 minutes in...

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Need to watch Cyborg cuz I love love Nemesis. Just charming. Could not watch Nemesis 2 though, got about 5 minutes in...

To this day, I refuse to believe that Albert Pyun made Nemesis 2. It's just so bad.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

null_pointer posted:

To this day, I refuse to believe that Albert Pyun made Nemesis 2. It's just so bad.

It's really awful, it should not even have that name.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
If anyone ever wants to spend a few minutes watching badass fight scenes, just search for Kensuke Sonomura on twitter and click any random result.

https://twitter.com/TimesSqKungFu/status/1746708416762875906

https://twitter.com/DerekBrocks/status/1744087554742264022

https://twitter.com/_OnlyNiceThings/status/1741147675976733175

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

If anyone ever wants to spend a few minutes watching badass fight scenes, just search for Kensuke Sonomura on twitter and click any random result.

https://twitter.com/TimesSqKungFu/status/1746708416762875906

https://twitter.com/DerekBrocks/status/1744087554742264022

https://twitter.com/_OnlyNiceThings/status/1741147675976733175

Figured this would be up your alley. There's an English dub as well for the interview.
https://youtu.be/UIMHyi76OfA?si=o1zR3IcT78263Kl0

He talks about how his boxing choreo is to have actors make contact with their wrists, among other things

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Huojis posted:

Watched Cyborg last night

All I can really remember of it is all the screaming in the rain.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

Figured this would be up your alley. There's an English dub as well for the interview.

He talks about how his boxing choreo is to have actors make contact with their wrists, among other things

This is awesome, they really get deep into it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

trevorreznik posted:

A+ thank you!

Huojis
Sep 2, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

follow it up with Nemesis if you have not seen it

I have seen it, and I really liked it. I wasn't a fan of how complicated the plot was. There was just too much exposition, which is strange since Cyborg really had a good understanding of show, don't tell, at least with regards to Gibb's backstory. But yeah, the action was really insane and well done. The movie definitely gets the award for most shots fired in one movie. And overall it had so much personality and atmosphere that I couldn't help but really love it. Thanks for the recommendation, though. I was about to ask if the sequels are worth watching, but I guess not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Huojis posted:

I have seen it, and I really liked it. I wasn't a fan of how complicated the plot was. There was just too much exposition, which is strange since Cyborg really had a good understanding of show, don't tell, at least with regards to Gibb's backstory. But yeah, the action was really insane and well done. The movie definitely gets the award for most shots fired in one movie. And overall it had so much personality and atmosphere that I couldn't help but really love it. Thanks for the recommendation, though. I was about to ask if the sequels are worth watching, but I guess not.

Yeah they're really not worth it and each one is orders of magnitude worse than the last. That said, Nemesis 2 does have a couple of cool stunts so I'd say it's at least worth skimming through that one on YouTube/Tubi/whatever

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Huojis posted:

I mentioned it a few days ago but if you want more 90s robots in your life, Hardware is another low budget hidden gem. nowhere near as much action as Nemesis or Cyborg but still fun.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is EXTRACTION good? Is it's sequel? I am dubious about a Hemsworth leading role that's not a comedy.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

well why not posted:

Is EXTRACTION good? Is it's sequel? I am dubious about a Hemsworth leading role that's not a comedy.

Yes, they both have some standout moments and Hemsworth acquits himself well.

Sam Hargrave is going to be a director to watch, he is really young still. He also had a great interview with Jacobus

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

They're good but short of great. I need to get around to making the video essay on what holds them back. It's nothing major but rather lots of little things

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Got a copy of Expend4bles, and I have to wonder, just how many filters did the director insist on using? The difference between the "making of" shots and the actual film is just incredible, but it's the "making of" shots that look great and the finished movie that sucks.

I think the filters may have made the blue-screening look worse, too.

Weirdly, the cast picture on the cover makes everyone almost unrecognizable, and the blurb on the back makes it sound like Iko Uwais's character is an Expendable instead of the villain. ("A new generation of stars is added to the adrenaline-fueled adventure of The Expendables as action legends Jason Statham, Sylvester Stallone, Dolph Lundgren, and Randy Couture are joined for the first time by Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, Megan Fox, Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, and Andy Garcia. As the highly-skilled mercenaries take on an arms dealer and his private army with every weapon they can get their hands on, the new recruits bring daring styles and tactics that give "new blood" a whole new meaning.")

Yes, I'm really late. Sue me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Ah yes, that new-generation action-talent Andy Garcia, truly a guy to keep your eye on!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Who are the best up and coming martial arts actors? Iko is 40.and I can't think of many guys younger than him who headline stuff. Andrew Koji I guess? He's 35 but I haven't seen him as a headliner.

Even Saori Izawa (baby assassins) is 29.

By comparison, Jaa was 27 when Ong Bak was released and Iko was 28 for the Raid. And he'd already done Merentau.

Edit I found a reddit post saying the Cobra Kai show has a bunch of young talent, I guess I should keep my eye on them.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2024

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

This guy goes over the year in action movies in a long video, listing about a hundred movies, half of which I never heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPAU4adEVWM

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Polite Society is an odd inclusion unless he's just trying to comment on every action film made this year. I would not call the action scenes in that compelling or well shot.

I will say he's a rare voice that shared my thoughts on the JW4 (mostly uninspired except for a few scenes) so that's a good sign

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 22, 2024

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Polite Society is an odd inclusion unless he's just trying to comment on every action film made this year. I would not call the action scenes in that compelling or well shot.

That's exactly what he's doing, a year in action. The video is good because it is globalist in outlook, he's not highlighting the best, just the ones you may not have heard of but may be interesting in some way

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also thought Silent Night was fun enough but that sort of Death Wish cliche is a bummer to watch in a theater full of hooting gleeful white people just like KILL HER!!! KILL HER!!! as the most stereotypical Mexican cholo gangster people get mowed down (even with the couple humanizing scenes they're given).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

trevorreznik posted:

Who are the best up and coming martial arts actors? Iko is 40.and I can't think of many guys younger than him who headline stuff. Andrew Koji I guess? He's 35 but I haven't seen him as a headliner.

Yea as far as breaking through into the U.S. market, we really haven't seen anyone do that since Iko in The Raid and it's been more than a decade now, which seems like a long time. It did feel like there was an unbroken chain of guys where it was Jackie in the early to mid 90s, then Jet Li, the Tony Jaa comes on the scene in early 2000s, then Donnie Yen who's proper breakout was Ip Man in 2008(unfortunate because he was not exactly young when it finally happened) and then Iko in 2012.

And it's not like the U.S. has really developed any of our own during that time either. We've had Adkins dying on the vine for 20 years but that's about it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

Yea as far as breaking through into the U.S. market, we really haven't seen anyone do that since Iko in The Raid and it's been more than a decade now, which seems like a long time. It did feel like there was an unbroken chain of guys where it was Jackie in the early to mid 90s, then Jet Li, the Tony Jaa comes on the scene in early 2000s, then Donnie Yen who's proper breakout was Ip Man in 2008(unfortunate because he was not exactly young when it finally happened) and then Iko in 2012.

And it's not like the U.S. has really developed any of our own during that time either. We've had Adkins dying on the vine for 20 years but that's about it.

I feel like it almost happened right around when COVID screwed everything up. We had Stahelski/Keanu prove it come be done with a guy who'd already shown his action chops, and right after that Theron and Odenkirk had fantastic fight scenes in Atomic Blonde/Nobody and it's like ok! Now find someone younger and make them a huge star!

And it didn't happen, we're just rolling out 61 year old Tom Cruise still. Cavill's oddly young (a spritely 40) compared to everyone else around him, so maybe he'll be The Guy if the highlander movie actually works, and I suppose there's a tiny chance that the Zelda movie can do something big. I think it's just a complete lack of interest by the studios despite stuff like Extraction being big hits on netflix.

It's weird that I think of Cavill as so much older than he is - he's only 3 years older than Pattinson and 11 years younger than Affleck.

dokmo posted:

This guy goes over the year in action movies in a long video, listing about a hundred movies, half of which I never heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPAU4adEVWM

I remember this guy from last year and love his videos, I just wish I knew how the heck he's able to see so much that's unavailable. Where is anyone watching Baby Assassins 2? how the hell do I see Hundreds of Beavers???

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't even know we got a Baby Assassins 2, clearly I gotta finish that video and hunt it down. Thought the first one was fine and fun, got a kick out of the one yakuza
"Kazuki, what you just said was sexism...Diversity is the key nowadays. Yakuza also needs to create a comfortable working environment for women. Haven't you seen Ocean's 8?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I have just stumbled upon the trailer for Monkey Man, the directorial debut of Dev Patel, who's also the main guy kicking what appears to be a fuckton amount of rear end. Produced by Jordan Peele, which, yeah OK let's conquer action movies now. This trailer is ridiculous.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I have just stumbled upon the trailer for Monkey Man, the directorial debut of Dev Patel, who's also the main guy kicking what appears to be a fuckton amount of rear end. Produced by Jordan Peele, which, yeah OK let's conquer action movies now. This trailer is ridiculous.

Trailer looks awesome! I looked up Dev Patel, and it turns out he played Prince Zuko in The Last Airbender, the only movie I’ve ever walked out of and asked for a refund. I wonder what his career trajectory would’ve been like if that movie hadn’t been so terrible, because if the trailer is any indication, the dude’s extremely talented.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
drat that looks good!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Trailer looks awesome! I looked up Dev Patel, and it turns out he played Prince Zuko in The Last Airbender, the only movie I’ve ever walked out of and asked for a refund. I wonder what his career trajectory would’ve been like if that movie hadn’t been so terrible, because if the trailer is any indication, the dude’s extremely talented.

The Green Knight, despite its name, is really really not an action movie, and other than that Patel's most famous roles are in dramatic movies. He is kind of a big name but definitely not for action movies so this comes completely out of left field for going as hard as it does. I'm pretty excited.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Grendels Dad posted:

gently caress yes

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Grendels Dad posted:

Immediately after watching the trailer, I looked up who did the fight choreography and it's a guy named Brahim Chab who's worked on a lot of Adkins-level DTV martial arts movies. Very stoked for this.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Blood and Bone is #10 on Netflix's most watched in the US today!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Blood and Bone is #10 on Netflix's most watched in the US today!!

Was #7 yesterday!

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
fell completely under my radar, but just saw One More Shot (One Shot sequel) - starts pretty much where the last movie ends up and is pretty kick rear end. It's more of the same but Adkins always delivers. The single shot gimmick is nice for fight scenes, literally 0 shaky cam - just 2 pros loving duking it out. Michael Jai White/Adkins are so loving good opposite eachother.

Also enjoyed the og sniper Thomas Beckett but man he got loving old

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hirez posted:

fell completely under my radar, but just saw One More Shot (One Shot sequel) - starts pretty much where the last movie ends up and is pretty kick rear end. It's more of the same but Adkins always delivers. The single shot gimmick is nice for fight scenes, literally 0 shaky cam - just 2 pros loving duking it out. Michael Jai White/Adkins are so loving good opposite eachother.

Also enjoyed the og sniper Thomas Beckett but man he got loving old

One of the innumerable Sniper sequels has a fantastic Billy Zane scene where he briefs the main character. It's just standard weird Zane charisma but at one point he picks up a banana, holds it for a bit, and then puts it back down. You get the sense that someone bet Zane he wouldn't just pick up a banana for no reason, so he did, and that take got left in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
You don't have have to ask me if I've seen (and generally love) the whole Sniper loving Tenology. (and the Shooter TV series was an absolute banger with an incredible final act -- Philippe is great in it - much better than Wahlberg in the sub par movie)

Just as Chad Michael Murray settles into a decent character halfway through - though the last 3 movies have be super forgettable and would probably rank as suck if I wasn't such a fanboy, I do remember really enjoying the mid ones, maybe 3-7 (jfc 10!!!! - though the latest one which came out maybe a few months back (lol) basically has President Palmer running War Crimes Merc units around with Becketts son G.R.I.T!)

e: ps watch Shooter and Strike Back (the best post 24 show) before watching the Sniper Tenology if you haven't seen those and are considering the task

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 30, 2024