Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

AgentHaiTo posted:

Anyone else? Just imagining these four interacting is hilarious.

Barcus Wroot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Sazza and Barcus in the same party would be funny

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nere as the haughty, evil wizard that everybody else in the party agrees to murder in his sleep at the end of the first play session.

Apparently it's even possible to deal with Nere without killing him. But who would do that?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Thundarr posted:

Nere as the haughty, evil wizard that everybody else in the party agrees to murder in his sleep at the end of the first play session.

Apparently it's even possible to deal with Nere without killing him. But who would do that?

Someone who wasn’t paying attention and clicked the wrong dialogue options, then immediately reloaded to murder him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you spare Nere then you can apparently meet him again at Moonrise Towers in Act 2. You can even convince him to turn away from the Absolute entirely and free the gnomes after siding with him against the duergar. Sadly for Nere he has the misfortune of having sick loot, and for that he must die.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know dnd, why is ring of protection considered the best act 1 item?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

It gives you +1 ac in an accessory slot so less chances of getting hit and you won’t find another ring that does that.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tae posted:

I don't know dnd, why is ring of protection considered the best act 1 item?

+1 AC and +1 to saving throws is a solid defense boost (half as much as you’d get from a shield, without occupying one of your hands). There’s not too many rings in the game with strong effects so most builds will never find anything better to replace it all game.

E: Specifically it’s the “will probably never be replaced” part that makes it arguably the best act 1 item. Pretty much every other item will be swapped out for something stronger sooner or later, but you can keep wearing that ring until the final boss.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 14, 2024

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Ring of Protection also does not give any caveats to its bonus AC. Usually if you find bonus AC on a non-armor item, there's some sort of caveat - the Bracers of Defense only work while you're unarmored, for example.

I do think there's some other items that could compete - I'm a huge fan of the Silver Pendant because Guidance is one of the most useful cantrips in the entire game, for example. But I think the Ring of Protection still wins.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Yup, in Act 3 and still wearing the Ring of Protection. Also, you can steal the idol and give it to Mol after all Druid/Tieflings/Goblins issues are all resolved, so no one gets mad as long as they don't catch you.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Sazza and Barcus in the same party would be funny

Forgot about Sazza, definitely her. Then we need Popper! Sazza, Barcus, and Popper would be the best party ever.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You also get two rings slots so even if you have another good one you’re fine to keep the Protection as well.

Plus it’s good for everyone. There are a couple other good rings but they are usually build-specific. Everyone can benefit from AC and saving throws.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So I've got a Bard/Cleric multiclass and for some reason the game is insisting on using the Cleric version of Cure Wounds instead of the Bard version, even though my spellcasting modifier is much better for the Bard version. Is there some way to fix this? Even when I drag the Bard version from the spellbook to my hotbar the UI says it's still using Wis instead of Cha.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Polaron posted:

So I've got a Bard/Cleric multiclass and for some reason the game is insisting on using the Cleric version of Cure Wounds instead of the Bard version, even though my spellcasting modifier is much better for the Bard version. Is there some way to fix this? Even when I drag the Bard version from the spellbook to my hotbar the UI says it's still using Wis instead of Cha.

Are you dragging the correct version into the toolbar?

If yes, then it must be a bug. I thought they fixed it already but apparently not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've seen this happen with damaging spells but it should be a visual bug only.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Polaron posted:

So I've got a Bard/Cleric multiclass

Why's that then

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was doing a Honor mode playthrough and the convo with the goblins harassing him was started with the wrong character, so I decided to choose 'Leave', Halsin freed himself and he's now hostile to me while I'm allied to the goblins. Is there no way to make Halsin non-hostile?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Azran posted:

I was doing a Honor mode playthrough and the convo with the goblins harassing him was started with the wrong character, so I decided to choose 'Leave', Halsin freed himself and he's now hostile to me while I'm allied to the goblins. Is there no way to make Halsin non-hostile?

Is he Temporarily Hostile or otherwise? If only temporary then you can just leave the room and come back to reset, if permanent then well I've never had that issue but maybe just resolve the Grove questline and see if he comes back?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Why's that then

Drow Cleric of Eilistraee, have Bard levels as well because Eilistraee is a very bardic goddess and I wanted the conversation options for both since it seemed fitting.

exquisite tea posted:

I've seen this happen with damaging spells but it should be a visual bug only.

I checked the combat log and it's definitely using the wrong modifier.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Is he Temporarily Hostile or otherwise? If only temporary then you can just leave the room and come back to reset, if permanent then well I've never had that issue but maybe just resolve the Grove questline and see if he comes back?

Nope, full-on hostile. I knocked him out and he counted as 'defeated' for the quest log, we'll see what happens once I'm done with the other leaders.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's amazing how much just being a Drow opens doors in Act 1. I started a Lolth Cleric and pretty much any goblin conversation can be talked past easily just because they're scared shitless of you and think you serve the Absolute.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Disguise self is incredible for that reason for everything but the duergar stuff because you can’t disguise as a duergar for some reason

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yup, despite being clearly alive and knocked down everyone in the part assumes he's dead lol Not feeling too hot on a Honor mode run considering how buggy the game can be still.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Okay, does anyone know where to find Wyll if you didn't recruit him before finishing the goblin quest? I thought he was just supposed to show up in camp, but he didn't. I even had the "penance" cutscene (wearing only his underwear for some reason?) and he's still not there.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

grack posted:

Okay, does anyone know where to find Wyll if you didn't recruit him before finishing the goblin quest? I thought he was just supposed to show up in camp, but he didn't. I even had the "penance" cutscene (wearing only his underwear for some reason?) and he's still not there.

He’s at the grove

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I've gone through the entire Grove and can't find him

Edit: He didn't show up at the party, either.

grack fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 14, 2024

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Did you do the party yet? He should show up there

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That doesn’t even make sense.

It's a principle of game theory. In the design sense, not the youtube trash content sense.

Simply put, enemies can't hurt you if they're already dead.

This is why action economy and front-loaded damage are strong in games where it is possible to remove units from the board in one or two turns each, especially if you can remove more than one. Any unit that is dead before it can act is a unit that will not be dealing any damage to you at all in that battle.

Defense is valued more highly in games where quick removal of enemies is not by design not possible and fights are more likely to be long and drawn out affairs. Better defenses mean suffering less attrition on your resources (including HP). JRPG boss battles or Monster Hunter are clear examples of this, even if a sufficiently skilled player can survive a MH battle without defenses and near-perfect play. In which case higher defense shifts some burden off of the player in the moment of that battle and onto their gear and the acquisition thereof. In JRPG boss battles player skill is generally not a factor and as a strict numbers game, defense is just another number to manage.

Defense is devalued compared to offense if you can remove enemies from play quickly and easily, should your build allow it. In games like XCOM or Rogue Trader this gets demonstrated a lot and why certain classes/characters are considered meta in them. If Arch-Militant Argenta can delete an entire enemy force in one or two turns (line of sight permitting), you're not going to get much value out of Vanguard Abelard's ability to tank hits and counterattack in melee, especially if he has yet to even move into range.

BG3, especially on higher difficulties, is a game where it is unlikely for you to be capable of deleting enemies quite that quickly without effort or conveniently placed precarious ledges, but burning a high level spell slot or other class-specific resources (ki points, bardic inspiration) to ensure one high value target cannot act, or a large group of flimsier but no less dangerous enemies are denied their turns, can still tilt the battle in your favor pretty quickly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the biggest issue in D&D games more broadly is that there's no rate limiting on damage output: you have all your spell slots and items immediately available at the start of every battle, so there's every incentive in the world to blow them to reduce incoming damage/CC to a point you can trivially manage

the no-contest hardest enemies in the entire game are the githyanki precisely because they've got a passive (parry) that rate limits your damage output and forces you to contest with them for at least a few rounds without immediately executing them

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think Globe of Invulnerability is a good counterexample to your argument, but I’ll admit I don’t know how well it holds up since the last few patches / in Honour Mode.

Even then you’re best off having your weakest hitter cast Globe while Gale zaps a bunch of wet enemies who another character hit with Perilous Stakes. Do right, no can defend.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I think Globe of Invulnerability is a good counterexample to your argument, but I’ll admit I don’t know how well it holds up since the last few patches / in Honour Mode.

globe is invaluable in a single fight in the game (maybe two if you're not hyper optimized) where everything is beefy enough to not be shanked by your opener, but you're better off spending that action point on chain lightning in every other case

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can't most if not all of the spells we're discussing be cast outside of combat, or am I mistaken? Because if they can, then the action economy during combat is a moot point since you can just start buffed and then take your turns hitting the badmans.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Can't most if not all of the spells we're discussing be cast outside of combat, or am I mistaken? Because if they can, then the action economy during combat is a moot point since you can just start buffed and then take your turns hitting the badmans.

It goes to the economy

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AgentHaiTo posted:

Ok, I was reading a thread on reddit about how so many side characters in bg3 should not be so interesting and cool for so how little they were in the game, but imagine this was the party that Tav had

Alfira, tiefling bard of course :)

Abdirak, cleric of Loviatar, I assume Life probably

He Who Was, paladin of vengeance?

Araj Oblodra, it's not in bg3, but artificer with subclass alchemist

Anyone else? Just imagining these four interacting is hilarious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Sure, but again it's about getting value out of your resources. You can definitely burn a bunch of spell slots on stuff you won't get any value out of if you want. It's not like the game is hard enough that you'll be punished for it outside of wasting your own time, but if you just want to win quickly and efficiently there's better uses than, say, Stoneskin, the spell that started this discussion.

Edit: okay, the game *is* that hard in some fights until you get to level 5 and the classes start getting their limiters released

Runa fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 14, 2024

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

tfw you weight paint with front faces only enabled by accident

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lol I just had the exact same bug in the same spot

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Had the same thing. Also with a gnome in the basement. Didn't happen on my first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I really sincerely don't get how people are getting like 150hrs out of this. Thourough playthroughs (although I skip any dialogue that isn't new to me now) take 60 if I really eek them out. I'm actually envious, since I love this game and wish there was more of it. Hell, I think its a little too short, if anything!