Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I friggin' love raisin-studded meat

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
choosing solar setups for my old man and powerwall+ is most competitive, looks like elon is based to me

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

it's spelled "none"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
entire solar industry "durr shading" (spend 10k on inverters/optimizers). based elon: string is king (winner)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Karach posted:

let her cook

no

wtf

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

The CEO looks nice and seems to have eaten her spaghetti and " meat balls"!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I love my raisin meat in a bath of delicious Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Homeless Friend posted:

entire solar industry "durr shading" (spend 10k on inverters/optimizers). based elon: string is king (winner)

*chuckling* yeah i know what this means, agree

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ben shapino posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Homeless Friend posted:

choosing solar setups for my old man and powerwall+ is most competitive, looks like elon is based to me

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the milk machine posted:

*chuckling* yeah i know what this means, agree

basically solar panels can be like wired like christmas lights, so if you block the circuit with shade, they don't work (i.e. one christmas light dying killing the whole string) but modern panels don't have this problem because they have bypasses & smartly cut up cells so there some small loss but who gives a poo poo. There is a boutique solution for this in inverters that turn the current into AC immediately thereby sidestepping everything or optimizers on the other end that do the same thing but keep it DC for very slightly better efficiency. these are only have use in extremely odd situations. Tree shade throughout diff times of years, different power output of different panels due to dust/dirtiness dropping whole system since if there are say 4 panels are doing 99% 97% 90% and 92% it'll drop whole system to 90%), etc. beautiful market that half the products exist for no reason but to drive up price

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Jan 15, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Homeless Friend posted:

basically solar panels can be like wired like christmas lights, so if you block the circuit with shade, they don't work (i.e. one christmas light dying killing the whole string) but modern panels don't have this problem because they have bypasses & smartly cut up cells so there some small loss but who gives a poo poo. There is a boutique solution for this in inverters that turn the current into AC immediately thereby sidestepping everything or optimizers on the other end that do the same thing but keep it DC for very slightly better efficiency. these are only have use in extremely odd situations. Tree shade throughout diff times of years, different power output of different panels due to dust/dirtiness dropping whole system since if there are say 4 panels are doing 99% 97% 90% and 92% it'll drop whole system to 90%), etc. beautiful market that half the products exist for no reason but to drive up price

ok drat that's actually pretty interesting, i've never looked into the market. tyvm for explaining

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Circle Nine posted:

i think they're just finally releasing them to paying customers instead of elons best friends

Why did you write the same thing twice?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

So few understand this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the milk machine posted:

ok drat that's actually pretty interesting, i've never looked into the market. tyvm for explaining

the one real advantage to the buyer is if a panel goes kaput you can pinpoint the exact panel since you've cut up everything into an island essentially, its internet connected and it doesn't bring down the system, whereas like christmas lights a string system would die but that's not worth the premium imo since you just call out somebody to fix it since it under warranty. Also when a panel dies for real you don't need a fancy app to tell because your power production will be hosed up and they can just use a thermal imager to see which one is heated the gently caress up due to short circuit lol. just fly a drone up there. for example you can just do a thermal sweep right before the warranty expires to send that sucker back and get a new one 24 years and 364 days after you put it up. one neat trick.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
is there a neutral way to find out if solar is worth doing on my house? (mid-atlantic east coast, decent view of sun for half the day but not amazing)

i assume if I do it by calling a solar installation company they will be like WOW YES YOU CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO WITH THESE NUMBERS etc

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
imo what you do is look for solar near you on google maps and knock on their door to ask. in cali NEM2 was god tier since you could give 1:1 basically with sdge and you'd win every time. naturally that was too good a deal so NEM3 basically puts responsibility for power during peak times back on customer side so you need battery in california. depends on how your power is priced KwH, what you power company policy is on buyback, how or i they tier it on when you use it. SDGE is the literal devil and my old man for example used a decent amount of power at peak times, so he was getting hosed in the rear end and the math couldn't not make sense. I imagine its a way harder equation outside of the land of the rising sun/further you get from the equator. Also depend on how your roof is facing or if your slapping it on the ground. Over here they just asked for the sdge file (green button download, basically your usage for the last 2 years every 15 minutes) and they can put it into their program to figure it out. If anything it felt like that program under-counted my old mans cost since they didn't have proper SDGE pricing data which was actually higher than their assumption lol.

They will give you a proposal at no cost tho, I just called like 5 companies. Check their yelp/BBB rating and make sure they've got a decent amount of reviews. Cross check their warranty/if they cover cost of labor on warranty/how long they've existed to make sure they're not a cutout/etc Then did the equation of [Gross-Battery Cost(1kWh=$1000)] divided by panel amount divided by panel wattage to equal $ per watt. You then compare that amount offers, you also get a 30% federal tax credit but you get that back by offsetting tax liability over the years so the speed of that returns depends on the size of your taxes paid in. Some of these companies have somewhat good GUI presentations that aren't made up bullshit, the one that I choose (also cheapest) had it like this.

You can check your panel in the proposal on energysage to see what the good price per wattage is. For example, old man getting canadian panel at like $2.165/W before tax credit factored in. Other companies of same warranty coverage were in 3.09/3.2/3.44 range (diff panel tho). The company that tried to scam my old man was at like $5.31/W lol. Check solar subreddit too to check prices from your area.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 01:41 on Jan 15, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Have to check wtf your power company does with solar/power export especially. With SDGE, they charge you more during peak if you get solar since you go under a different rate plan lol. So a lot of these places just want to move product and design a system that says 100% coverage in the presentation but only are 100% if your power company does equitable net metering but power production is only during daylight. In reality a system that didn't cover peak properly with a battery of appropriate size might cause you to spend more or not as less as you'd want money because the peak rates increase under a solar policy over here (but remember, only know that it makes sense over here battery & maybe doesn't make sense generally) basically, SDGE pwns lol. It's all about rate of return. My old mans system might pay itself back in 4 1/2 years at best to 6 years at worst. The battery is warrantied for 10 years and panels for 25, labor covered. Anothert example: if the battery died the moment its warranty was up the savings between 6 year ROI on whole system and the 4 year of free production/storage would cover a new one if the battery market was completely in stasis cost wise and SDGE never raised rates in the intervening 10 years. So absolutely worse case he saves 0 money lol.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Jan 15, 2024

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

ben shapino posted:

do you think when elon hired her, part of the contract was that she has to limit her diet to only spaghetti

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Homeless Friend posted:

Have to check wtf your power company does with solar/power export especially. With SDGE, they charge you more during peak if you get solar since you go under a different rate plan lol. So a lot of these places just want to move product and design a system that says 100% coverage in the presentation but only are 100% if your power company does equitable net metering but power production is only during daylight. In reality a system that didn't cover peak properly with a battery of appropriate size might cause you to spend more or not as less as you'd want money because the peak rates increase under a solar policy over here (but remember, only know that it makes sense over here battery & maybe doesn't make sense generally) basically, SDGE pwns lol. It's all about rate of return. My old mans system might pay itself back in 4 1/2 years at best to 6 years at worst. The battery is warrantied for 10 years and panels for 25, labor covered. Anothert example: if the battery died the moment its warranty was up the savings between 6 year ROI on whole system and the 4 year of free production/storage would cover a new one if the battery market was completely in stasis cost wise and SDGE never raised rates in the intervening 10 years. So absolutely worse case he saves 0 money lol.

what if the sun explodes tomorrow, smart guy?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

Earth will be the judge.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

amazing savings, just the best

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

elon will fix it!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Thecybertukkk crossed the finish line at 88 mph, whereas the 911 was clocked at 93 mph.

admission the 911 was overtaking and would have won.

Concerning

14 seconds at 88mph

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

14 seconds at 88mph

*tugs collar*

elon, uh.. ftw?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

broads? where we're going we don't need broads

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Apart from tiny Pacific micronations, just how many "rail-less" nations are there?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Apart from tiny Pacific micronations, just how many "rail-less" nations are there?

There's some countries like Libya, which once had rails but dismantled them after gaining independence. Incidentally Libya did have a project to rebuild them just before Gaddafi was ousted, but in the present turmoil it's just not feasible. The same goes with Somalia and Niger. Otherwise the countries are either islands or so mountainous and poor that building expensive land infrastructure is just out of the question. They don't have highways or hyperloops in East Timor either.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Nenonen posted:

There's some countries like Libya, which once had rails but dismantled them after gaining independence. Incidentally Libya did have a project to rebuild them just before Gaddafi was ousted, but in the present turmoil it's just not feasible. The same goes with Somalia and Niger. Otherwise the countries are either islands or so mountainous and poor that building expensive land infrastructure is just out of the question. They don't have highways or hyperloops in East Timor either.

of course colonial rail systems (and a lot of colonial transportation infrastructure) was pretty useless because it was all built to bring stolen resources from the mines/forests to the ports as efficiently as possible without any concern for whether or not actual people would use them

there were a lot of cases of large towns/cities a few miles apart with no transportation networks connecting them because everything went directly to the coast

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ELTON JOHN posted:

of course colonial rail systems (and a lot of colonial transportation infrastructure) was pretty useless because it was all built to bring stolen resources from the mines/forests to the ports as efficiently as possible without any concern for whether or not actual people would use them

there were a lot of cases of large towns/cities a few miles apart with no transportation networks connecting them because everything went directly to the coast

What makes you think that it's useless? Post-colonial societies still needed those resources.

Further you seem to ignore that railways were not built in Europe or Americas to facilitate tourism but for industrial needs. Passenger transport came later.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

just because your lovely rear end country couldn't doesnt mean china digs mountain tunnels all the time

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Rauros posted:

that 1/4 mile towing drag race never happened. it was only 1/8 mile and used a tri-motor cyberbeast not currently available. sorry, a lot of words to explain some stupid poo poo:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/cybertruck-lead-engineer-confirms-elon-musk-misspoke-but-there-s-an-upside-227580.html

quote:

Morrill said that going through with the quarter-mile race was unnecessary, and it might have even been unsafe.The trailer they used was rated to 80 mph maximum. The Cyberbeast crossed the finish line at 88 mph, whereas the 911 was clocked at 93 mph.

So, the team behind this marketing stunt ran a simulation of the quarter-mile race where the all-electric pickup truck won. "Our simulations showed the full 1/4 mi race would be close but with the same net result, so no need to risk it. We also had some room to further lightweight the trailer but didn't need to," added the Cybertruck's lead engineer.

Such confidence in the cyberbeast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Palladium posted:

just because your lovely rear end country couldn't doesnt mean china digs mountain tunnels all the time

How the gently caress would a hyperloop deal with mountains, if not with tunnels?

Think this guy is a PhDickhead.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Nenonen posted:

What makes you think that it's useless? Post-colonial societies still needed those resources.

Further you seem to ignore that railways were not built in Europe or Americas to facilitate tourism but for industrial needs. Passenger transport came later.

do you think that the colonial powers left all their extractive capital laying around when they left

guinea was left with roads going from empty holes in the ground to the ports

i wouldnt say it was completely useless all the time, but given both the locations of the transport networks as well as the cost and equipment used to maintain them and in the end most of the infrastructure built during the colonial period was useless

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

How the gently caress would a hyperloop deal with mountains, if not with tunnels?

Think this guy is a PhDickhead.

well you see the cyberloop doesnt need to create tunnels because god himself created the tunnels for them

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/adamweinstein/status/1746620359300849976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol