Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ardennes posted:

Maglev is probably going to need an enclosure to tunnels even if it isn't pressured just for wind and stability issues.

No? How high do you think it's levitating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ikanreed posted:

It isn't going to be blown off the tracks, but if you are ramping up the speed you probably want to do it in a controlled space without wind resistance (also just not having random other possible issues).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

tractor fanatic posted:

I can't imagine planes or commercial aviation will ever go away in a zero-carbon future. Most likely we'll just synthesize jet fuel from biofuels or w/e
for clarity, that doesn't solve anything, as the emissions are the problem there. unless you wanna design a replacement for turbofan engines

biofuels aren't a meaningful improvement

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

for clarity, that doesn't solve anything, as the emissions are the problem there. unless you wanna design a replacement for turbofan engines

Well it gets into the whole ball out wax of bioenergy and if it is actually doing anything useful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Well it gets into the whole ball out wax of bioenergy and if it is actually doing anything useful.

It's not, hth

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ikanreed posted:

They already have to do it on their regular HSR lines where there are high winds.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe we will see electric engine to replace jet engine one day. Supposedly electric airplane would have totally different engine design. You would put hundreds of small fans on the wings for maximum efficiency.

Also if you want less pollution and higher efficiency, the speed of travel is probably going to be slower. I feel that it's not a big deal if most people can work remotely.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

stephenthinkpad posted:

Maybe we will see electric engine to replace jet engine one day. Supposedly electric airplane would have totally different engine design. You would put hundreds of small fans on the wings for maximum efficiency.

what in tarnation

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

tractor fanatic posted:

I can't imagine planes or commercial aviation will ever go away in a zero-carbon future. Most likely we'll just synthesize jet fuel from biofuels or w/e

I wouldn't expect it to completely go away on a predictable timeline for a variety of reasons--it's fundamentally a dual-use technology, certain routes especially across the Pacific are at least on the same log scale between carbon from fuel per passenger in Y on a 777 and average overall carbon footprint per passenger over the length of a sea voyage, and while most of the things we use air freight for are wasteful need-my-treat-now there are going to be edge cases where there is actually a reason the item is say available only in Tokyo and must be in LA that night.

I would expect it to be unrecognizable, given that the bulk of butts in seats are getting on 737s to follow an existing rail line on a Shinkansen-equivalent overall timetable because it's a lower upfront capital expense, the carbon is currently a costless externality, and it's easier to manage a standardized fleet. More turboprop or even traditional prop for certain short hauls in rough country, long hauls mostly as they exist now but with carbon impact included in the price (or, better yet, included in a per-person ration without paid dispensations), and midhaul essentially nonexistent except to maintain whatever dual-use capacity is desired.

E: Electric has the huge paired issues that current and theoretically possible batteries don't hold as much energy per kg as liquid fuels, and that there's no practical way to jettison empty batteries and reduce the energy requirements for the rest of the flight while that carbon-rich exhaust is jettisoning used fuel. You might be able to replace the low end, though it would only hurt unless you were also sure to be charging off clean sources. The high, not so much.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Jan 14, 2024

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They already have to do it on their regular HSR lines where there are high winds.

haha cool

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also regardless of the fuel, the contrails themselves are contributing to global warming. in the short term, the contrails have a worst impact on the climate than the co2 exhaust does.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-airplane-contrails-are-helping-make-the-planet-warmer

quote:

Though lasting for only a short time, these “contrails” have a daily impact on atmospheric temperatures that is greater than that from the accumulated carbon emissions from all aircraft since the Wright Brothers first took to the skies more than a century ago.

More alarming still, researchers warned late last month that efforts by engineers to cut aircraft CO2 emissions by making their engines more fuel-efficient will create more, whiter, and longer-lasting contrails — notably in the tropics, where the biggest increases in flights are expected. In a paper being widely praised by other experts in the field, Lisa Bock and Ulrike Burkhardt of the Institute of Atmospheric Physics in Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany, forecast a near-tripling in the “radiative forcing” from contrails by 2050.

Aircraft emissions are rising up the climate agenda. With renewable energy taking over from fossil fuels in power generation, and the rise of electric cars, the continued surge in flights is increasingly seen as potentially the worst future threat to the climate, not least because there are as yet no carbon-free replacement technologies or international regulations to bring down emissions.

Civilian aircraft currently emit about 2 percent of anthropogenic CO2 and, once the effects of contrails are included, cause 5 percent of warming. But there is a key difference. While CO2 accumulates in the atmosphere and has a long-lasting effect, contrails last a matter of hours at most, and their warming impact is temporary.

even if the biofuels are actually carbon neutral (and that's a massive if) the contrails themselves may cause enough warming to make sustaining or growing the amount of air travel non-viable under a climate conscious economy.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Mandoric posted:

I wouldn't expect it to completely go away on a predictable timeline for a variety of reasons--it's fundamentally a dual-use technology, certain routes especially across the Pacific are at least on the same log scale between carbon from fuel per passenger in Y on a 777 and average overall carbon footprint per passenger over the length of a sea voyage, and while most of the things we use air freight for are wasteful need-my-treat-now there are going to be edge cases where there is actually a reason the item is say available only in Tokyo and must be in LA that night.

I would expect it to be unrecognizable, given that the bulk of butts in seats are getting on 737s to follow an existing rail line on a Shinkansen-equivalent overall timetable because it's a lower upfront capital expense, the carbon is currently a costless externality, and it's easier to manage a standardized fleet. More turboprop or even traditional prop for certain short hauls in rough country, long hauls mostly as they exist now but with carbon impact included in the price (or, better yet, included in a per-person ration without paid dispensations), and midhaul essentially nonexistent except to maintain whatever dual-use capacity is desired.

E: Electric has the huge paired issues that current and theoretically possible batteries don't hold as much energy per kg as liquid fuels, and that there's no practical way to jettison empty batteries and reduce the energy requirements for the rest of the flight while that carbon-rich exhaust is jettisoning used fuel. You might be able to replace the low end, though it would only hurt unless you were also sure to be charging off clean sources. The high, not so much.

North America will be absolutely unrecognizable in a modern sense, from both climate change but also a completely different societal model, before widespread trains in any way becomes realistic here. We will have mass balkanization and war and unimaginable situations before we ever build that in canada or USA

IMO

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Trabisnikof posted:

also regardless of the fuel, the contrails themselves are contributing to global warming. in the short term, the contrails have a worst impact on the climate than the co2 exhaust does

when I backpacked the grand canyon last year, deep in the desert in the middle of nowhere, there wasn't a cloud in the sky

by evening the sky was full of clouds from all the contrails, like enough to mistake for real clouds

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Where does the carbon in the biofuels come from?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

unwantedplatypus posted:

Where does the carbon in the biofuels come from?

from fossil fuels

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Trabisnikof posted:

also regardless of the fuel, the contrails themselves are contributing to global warming. in the short term, the contrails have a worst impact on the climate than the co2 exhaust does.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-airplane-contrails-are-helping-make-the-planet-warmer

even if the biofuels are actually carbon neutral (and that's a massive if) the contrails themselves may cause enough warming to make sustaining or growing the amount of air travel non-viable under a climate conscious economy.

Albedos nuts

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bald Stalin posted:

lol China built an actual low vacuum hyperloop before musk
musk's hyperloop is parking your individual vehicle on a car elevator into and out of street level traffic as demonstrated with a pilot here, not a filthy train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ZuKkbHdqM

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1746532953411170680

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

AJ's missing the last panel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Killer7 style ban planes and drive rocket cars across intercontinental bridges

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

fart simpson posted:

from fossil fuels

I was under the impression that biofuels referred to fuels made from photosynthetic organisms. Ultimately making the biofuels requires more energy than is gained from burning them so its not an energy source, but the process itself is carbon neutral because the organisms use atmospheric CO2; and energy could be supplied from solar, wind, hydro, etc.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Jan 15, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

I was under the impression that biofuels referred to fuels made from photosynthetic organisms. Ultimately making the biofuels requires more energy than is gained from burning them so its not an energy source, but the process itself is carbon neutral because the organisms use atmospheric CO2; and energy could be supplied from solar, wind, hydro, etc.

This only makes sense if the photosynthetic organisms also harvest and process and transport themselves

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

this also assumes the biofuels themselves are produced in ways that don’t create more potent greenhouse gases. For example, methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than co2.

So you can actually make things worse by turning atmospheric co2 into methane if even just the tiniest amount of methane leaks out (and industry standard leakage rates are far higher than tiny.)

That’s not even getting into the climate change impacts of the land use change required for large scale biofuel plans. Turning more Amazon forest into switchgrass isn’t good for the climate either.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Slavvy posted:

This only makes sense if the photosynthetic organisms also harvest and process and transport themselves

Hurr durr did you know that the energy required to mine the materials used in solar panels and wind turbines comes from fossil fuels!?!?

Trabisnikof posted:

this also assumes the biofuels themselves are produced in ways that don’t create more potent greenhouse gases. For example, methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than co2.

So you can actually make things worse by turning atmospheric co2 into methane if even just the tiniest amount of methane leaks out (and industry standard leakage rates are far higher than tiny.)

That’s not even getting into the climate change impacts of the land use change required for large scale biofuel plans. Turning more Amazon forest into switchgrass isn’t good for the climate either.

I suspect you don't need to turn the amazon rainforest into switchgrass plantations if you're using biofuels for niche applications which require energy-dense low-weight fuel (such as air travel) rather than attempting to replace all of our fossil fuel consumption.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 03:59 on Jan 15, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Still in the bargaining phase, I get it

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Still in the bargaining phase, I get it

The adults in the room know that labor aristocrat ennui is extremely profound and there's no harm in continuing to sup from the blood-stained goblet of global super-profits until the Climate Apocalypse ends history.

A lot of people think they're pragmatic and worldly, when really they're just self-servingly cynical.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Jan 15, 2024

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It's especially weird to do doomer sealioning in this thread of all places. Why would you at all be invested in the development of China, B&R, etc. when you think the entire global economic system is going to collapse in 5 years after multi-crop harvest failures or w/e

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

It’s called shooting weird chemical poo poo in the air to reflect the ☀️. No sunbeams reaching 🌍 = no global warming! It’s just that easy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

unwantedplatypus posted:

It's especially weird to do doomer sealioning in this thread of all places. Why would you at all be invested in the development of China, B&R, etc. when you think the entire global economic system is going to collapse in 5 years after multi-crop harvest failures or w/e

I think China is going to save us from climate change (and we will never forgive them for it)

I also think killing air travel is eventually going to be a part of it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

I suspect you don't need to turn the amazon rainforest into switchgrass plantations if you're using biofuels for niche applications which require energy-dense low-weight fuel (such as air travel) rather than attempting to replace all of our fossil fuel consumption.

The land use change or induced land use change (if we take productive food land for biofuels then we need to make more crop land) still can mean that biofuels end up as a net bad thing for the climate.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

thankfully biofuels don’t need fertilizer, either

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
one of the nicest thing about trains is the much larger legroom. How come no one mentions that?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

thankfully industrial food production doesn’t need fertilizer, either

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

The land use change or induced land use change (if we take productive food land for biofuels then we need to make more crop land) still can mean that biofuels end up as a net bad thing for the climate.

As part of a comprehensive land use change cutting out many of the gross inefficiencies of land usage, you could probably still reserve some amount of land for biofuel production while drastically reducing total land use compared to present levels.

Something something "none of this matters because it is socio-politically impossible."

"Hey I noticed you're talking about decarbonization. Did you know that its impossible and useless and you're an idiot for talking about it?"
"Did you know nuclear is bad because of the large time to pay-off and high construction costs?"
"Did you know solar and wind will only be used to add to the energy capacity of our fundamentally fossil-fuel based civilization?"
"Did you know biofuels require croplands to growth?"
"Did you know new coal power plants are still being opened?"
"Did you know that soil degradation is a civilizational threat independent of CO2 levels?"
"Did you know about the clathrate gun?"
"Did you know about the Thwaites ice sheet?"
"Did you know about the aerosol effect?"
"Did you know that geo-engineering is easy to do and could easily make things worse"?
"Did you know about aquifer depletion?"

Genuinely one of the most tedious and numerous types of guy in C-SPAM.

I do not even care, at this point, if it is objectively correct. It can be safely assumed that any discussion of a future where everyone doesn't die is pre-supposing a future in which global civilization persists, even if that particular scenario is unlikely. The alternative warrants no discussion and will be something we simply suffer through until we don't.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Jan 15, 2024

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

a future where everyone doesn't die

Good news about mortality!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

As part of a comprehensive land use change cutting out many of the gross inefficiencies of land usage, you could probably still reserve some amount of land for biofuel production while drastically reducing total land use compared to present levels.

Something something "none of this matters because it is socio-politically impossible."

"Hey I noticed you're talking about decarbonization. Did you know that its impossible and useless and you're an idiot for talking about it?"
"Did you know nuclear is bad because of the large time to pay-off and high construction costs?"
"Did you know solar and wind will only be used to add to the energy capacity of our fundamentally fossil-fuel based civilization?"
"Did you know biofuels require croplands to growth?"
"Did you know new coal power plants are still being opened?"
"Did you know that soil degradation is a civilizational threat independent of CO2 levels?"
"Did you know about the clathrate gun?"
"Did you know about the Thwaites ice sheet?"
"Did you know about the aerosol effect?"
"Did you know that geo-engineering is easy to do and could easily make things worse"?
"Did you know about aquifer depletion?"

Genuinely one of the most tedious and numerous types of guy in C-SPAM.

I do not even care, at this point, if it is objectively correct. It can be safely assumed that any discussion of a future where everyone doesn't die is pre-supposing a future in which global civilization persists, even if that particular scenario is unlikely. The alternative warrants no discussion and will be something we simply suffer through until we don't.

Im simply pointing out that biofuels are not the straightforward and guaranteed carbon neutral solution that their advocates claim they are.

The consequence of that reality is that technologies that do not require biofuels to be feasible, like China’s HSR system, are better climate aware infrastructure investments than technologies that do require biofuels, like aviation.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Im simply pointing out that biofuels are not the straightforward and guaranteed carbon neutral solution that their advocates claim they are.

The consequence of that reality is that technologies that do not require biofuels to be feasible, like China’s HSR system, are better climate aware infrastructure investments than technologies that do require biofuels, like aviation.

That's fair, and you've made some good points

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

musk's hyperloop is parking your individual vehicle on a car elevator into and out of street level traffic as demonstrated with a pilot here, not a filthy train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ZuKkbHdqM

Elon has a really big butt lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fart simpson posted:

what they really need is some sort of flexible ticket that you buy in advance and can just walk on any train between sz and hk, standing room only or no reserved seat at least, whenever you show up that day to the station

next step is getting rid of the border

if they get rid of the border more hk people will be going into shenzhen for cheap goods and health care and hollowing out hk's economy even further lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

R. Guyovich posted:

if they get rid of the border more hk people will be going into shenzhen for cheap goods and health care and hollowing out hk's economy even further lol

sams club in shenzhen has a shuttle bus to take people from hong kong to shenzhen to buy cheap stuff, lol