Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It arrived:

Specifically it arrived in the dead of night with no warning because the fedex guy decided not to honk or anything so after waiting and watching all day I gave up around 8PM, went out at 10:30 to throw out some trash and just saw the box sitting there by my gate where anyone could have taken it. Thanks, fedex.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to matte coating this guy:

I then dropped it on the loving ground twenty minutes after applying the coat. :sbahj: Somehow the internal wing swivel mechanism broke but the paint job was fine so uhh thanks Oden-kan Matte Varnish

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

top 10 anime heel turns

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Freddy: let's see who this gundam REALLY is *pops off head*

Scooby gang: OLD MAN ZAKU?!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

It arrived:

Specifically it arrived in the dead of night with no warning because the fedex guy decided not to honk or anything so after waiting and watching all day I gave up around 8PM, went out at 10:30 to throw out some trash and just saw the box sitting there by my gate where anyone could have taken it. Thanks, fedex.

Ever since FedEx 'misplaced' a $600 P-Bandai delivery, I've been coughing up the $3.50 for signature verification on every order. Sucks, but they are not to be trusted and this at least gives me some leverage if they gently caress up again.

Kit owns, by the way. Everything about it is so pretty.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bimmi posted:

Ever since FedEx 'misplaced' a $600 P-Bandai delivery, I've been coughing up the $3.50 for signature verification on every order. Sucks, but they are not to be trusted and this at least gives me some leverage if they gently caress up again.

Yeah I feel that, I might have to start doing that myself because holy poo poo, that was a near miss; especially since it's been really stormy here lately and, in fact, started pouring rain about half an hour after I brought the box in.

I can't wait to build it, likely sunday. If it's fun i might wind up having to get the virunvee too despite it being one of my least favorite aura battler designs, if just in the hope that they'll re-run the siribine and eventually do a billbine and maybe even make a bellvine.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Antoine Silvere posted:

I finally got around to matte coating this guy:

I then dropped it on the loving ground twenty minutes after applying the coat. :sbahj: Somehow the internal wing swivel mechanism broke but the paint job was fine so uhh thanks Oden-kan Matte Varnish

Valkyries love the ground at high speeds. I built one of the fighter variants with a FAST pack, and gave it to a friend. While getting ready to drive it over, I put the thing on the roof of my car so I could open the door. This heavy-rear end chunk of plastic immediately got picked up by a sudden and unrepeated blast of wind and dashed to the pavement. The paint was okay there, too, weirdly enough, but I definitely had some angry words over some emergency cementing.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Bimmi posted:

Whether or not they actually collect a signature is a crapshoot. I've had multiple high dollar deliveries from FedEx and UPS with a sig required where they were dumped on the driveway, not even a knock on the door.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
in contrast, whenever i get something delivered by DHL, half the time they want a signature even when i say "just leaving it at the door is fine", usually because they've decided to deliver it several days early, to show off

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Space Opera posted:

Whether or not they actually collect a signature is a crapshoot. I've had multiple high dollar deliveries from FedEx and UPS with a sig required where they were dumped on the driveway, not even a knock on the door.

Yes, but if something goes wrong it's quite a bit harder for them to say "soz, not our problem," which they will do otherwise. If my local branch is anything to go by, though, the mgt. does not take at all kindly to drivers forging signatures.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Tin Tim posted:

Welcome to 1982, enjoy your stay

Update holy god do I have respect for old school modelers. The gaps and seams on this thing are insane. And there's absolutely no color variation, it's one big brown slab. And there's no stickers, only waterslides. You really had to commit to these kits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah the last two i made were 1980s kits and they took work and time to do. It really takes a mindset shift if youre just used to Bandai kits. These are big projects even if theyre cheap. I got a lot of masochistic satisfaction out of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gsc_mechasmile/status/1745468106665808102?t=V7wsJhnv-FqcJ14klMkWBg&s=19

Goodsmile may be making Bang Bravern kits.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

It really takes a mindset shift if youre just used to Bandai kits. These are big projects even if theyre cheap.

Nailed it yeah. The instruction guide is only 2 pages but it took me over an hour to finish the first panel! And that's just the assembly!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Even with the size of an MG ver Ka that transformation is still a massive pain in the rear end. I wouldn't recommend doing it outside of as a curiosity.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 14, 2024

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I took one pic of mine in Waverider mode and immediately transformed it back. As a full-body transformation it's an incredible achievement in plastic modelling but it doesn't feel that great to do.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Marx Headroom posted:

Update holy god do I have respect for old school modelers.
That was exactly my thought when I built my first ancient kit lol. Felt thankful for having all the modern tools and knowledge at the tip of my fingers and sent a small prayer to the oldies that had to figure this out on their own or by word of mouth. I do enjoy the old builds though. Like taking it as a challenge to complete as best as I can satisfies me.

I'm currently building the Psycommu System Zaku from 1984 and will share pics once I'm done with all the putty & sanding. So much sanding...

Arc Hammer posted:

Goodsmile may be making Bang Bravern kits.
If they make the army robits from the first ep then I'm in

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
I'm thinking about getting the Full Mechanics Gundam Aerial model for my girlfriend for her birthday. As someone that doesn't have any experience with gunpla but has experience with modeling Warhammer 40k figurines, is this a solid kit for a beginner to gunpla? I would like to assemble it for her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Probably easier than 40K models because modern gunpla is all snap build without mucking with glue or screws.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I'm thinking about getting the Full Mechanics Gundam Aerial model for my girlfriend for her birthday. As someone that doesn't have any experience with gunpla but has experience with modeling Warhammer 40k figurines, is this a solid kit for a beginner to gunpla? I would like to assemble it for her.

Gunpla is super easy and Full Mechanics is just a taller version of the pretty simple High Grade.
I think the only thing you're going to see that's totally unfamiliar will be the decals. They're just stickers. If you want to apply them, the same fiddly little details skills you have from Warhammer will apply.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Funktastic posted:

gunpla are pretty simple snapfits, you shouldnt have too much trouble, and modern kits like the aerial especially are very easy. there's no screws or anything, its just snip them off the runners and snap them together.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Crossposting from the gif thread.

Just Goufin around.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Mr. Funktastic posted:

no only are they easy but the fm aerial specifically is loving rad as hell

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

getting started on these slides, going well so far

that WB 102 one was tough though, hard to keep a large decal moving

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Thanks for the feedback, definitely looking forward to putting this one together

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So my power was out for three hours this morning and I started building dunbine.

The real standout is the shiny metallic bits for the chest/cockpit! It's also a really cool translucent green.

Also I'm pretty happy with the amount of colour variety on the kit, the only stickers are black lining details. I really like the kind of like colour inserts like with the red and yellow parts and hate stickers. Here's a completed head, which is all I finished before getting distracted by cats.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Puddin posted:

Crossposting from the gif thread.

Just Goufin around.

I wish the Dom made the hovercraft noise since it canonically moves like that anyway.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
As nice as the Dunbine appears to be, and pricey as it is, I'm fairly annoyed that they chose not to provide a pilot figure. Not great when the cockpit is fully visible, right?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bimmi posted:

As nice as the Dunbine appears to be, and pricey as it is, I'm fairly annoyed that they chose not to provide a pilot figure. Not great when the cockpit is fully visible, right?

It wasn't that pricy tbh, I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to but it was basically the same price as the HG moongundam they were selling a little while back, and roughly the same price as a new HG kit on newtype. Though given how easy it is to build it feels like it should have been WFM or IBO HG price for sure. But yeah, it'd have been nice to have a pilot to stick in there, but I guess you could always cobble one together from something else if you really wanted, even if it wouldn't be the same. It's a very tiny cockpit, you could like get a micromachines guy to stick in there.

Speaking of:

I don't like how the cockpit attaches to the little ball joint but doesn't have like, a proper socket to hold it in place because it falls off at the lightest touch. Maybe I'm not pushing it in hard enough, but it feels like it I push it any harder it'll crack or something. Also I'm running into the same problem I did with the Psycho Gundam where since everything slides together, sometimes one side just doesn't want to go in flush and even when pressing it in just pops out slightly and that's kind of frustrating.

EDIT: And donebine!

It was a fun and easy build, except it really struggles to stand up? Maybe it's just mine, but the feet can't really bend forward much at all to offset the weight of the torso and the toes are extremely loose so the instant it's set down anywhere it just starts falling over. The rest of the joints are really sturdy though, so if the feet were just like. Less loose it'd be fine, but then the backpack is added and it can not stand up at all so here it is leaning against the psycho gundam for support, unable to be posed at all. I guess I'll have to start investing in stands to get some of these kits in the air

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 15, 2024

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

I wish the Dom made the hovercraft noise since it canonically moves like that anyway.

Exactly

Still pretty boss though

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

It wasn't that pricy tbh, I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to but it was basically the same price as the HG moongundam they were selling a little while back, and roughly the same price as a new HG kit on newtype.

Dunno what you paid for yours, but mine were $37 a pop before taxes, and that's a lot of money for such a tiny model. They are definitely juicing the price on these: I get why, and I'm glad to pay because I love the gently caress out of Aura Battlers and will buy whatever they decide to make, but leaving the figure out is just bad form.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

help.

I've just put together a Bandai kit ( a Dilanza Sol, fat chonky boi ) and while it's nice.

it doesnt feel like it's had the same amount of suffering, pain, and sweat put into it like the last two 1982 kits I've done. It feels too easy somehow. it only took an hour.

whats wrong with me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bimmi posted:

Dunno what you paid for yours, but mine were $37 a pop before taxes, and that's a lot of money for such a tiny model. They are definitely juicing the price on these: I get why, and I'm glad to pay because I love the gently caress out of Aura Battlers and will buy whatever they decide to make, but leaving the figure out is just bad form.

Same price, yeah. The gundam base Moon Gundam is $36 and its regular version is the same price on other sites like newtype. HG prices are all over the place, but it's in the same range as the Messala and Rozen Zulu and I can't really recall HG kits ever coming with figures but I could be wrong there, maybe some do. The Virunvee is even more expensive somehow.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The old HG Aura Battlers came with pilots and cost a lot less. True, they were kind of bad, but still...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Same price, yeah. The gundam base Moon Gundam is $36 and its regular version is the same price on other sites like newtype. HG prices are all over the place, but it's in the same range as the Messala and Rozen Zulu and I can't really recall HG kits ever coming with figures but I could be wrong there, maybe some do. The Virunvee is even more expensive somehow.

Some do, but not many. Looking things up, you had the Master Gundam with a tiny Master Asia, a support squad with the HG Hard Graph kits that got reused for the GM Sniper K9, the Turn A had a pilot molded into the cockpit if memory serves, and the '90s EZ-8 came with a tiny Shiro fig.

Outside of Gundam, the recent HG Scopedog has a pilot as a P-Bandai option set, the HG YF-19 has an Isamu in the pilot seat, as do the other kits in the line (err... they have pilots, that is. Not that Isamu stole Max's ride to see how it handled.) You also get pilots in the 1/72 Star Wars kits, the Sakura Wars kits, the most recent Patlabor kit for The Next Generation, and the Synduality Noir kits (highly recommended, by the way. Really unique builds.) have two pilot figures each, similar to the 86 kits.

So, yeah. Lots of HGs, and even recent HGs, come with figures, now that I lay it out like that. Hell, the HGAB Dunbine kits from 2000 had them, and they were less than half the price. Sure, the modern kits are much better in most aspects, but that's kinda crappy now that I look at the comparison.

(If you're looking for painted modern 1/72 pilots for cheap, there's Snapships kits, but they lack knee joints, so they might not fit despite being the right size.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

That's actually really curious, I wonder what makes them decide whether or not a kit gets a pilot figure.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

started building the RG Nu Gundam

1: tragically, panel lining the shield on the runner caused a micro crack to happen due to weak plastic. hopefully it won't be too hard to fix, but it's still annoying, because that wasn't even my fault.
2: i've built both legs so far and having a full inner frame kicks rear end, actually? i now understand why some people love RG kits so much, i keep moving the legs around just to see all the cool little points of articulation

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 15, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You should put a clear coat over stuff before panel lining with enamel/oils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

That's actually really curious, I wonder what makes them decide whether or not a kit gets a pilot figure.

Hard to say. It's not age, since the HG Synduality kits are a current line, and it's not just scale, since the 1/100 Macross kits have them, and the 1/60 Full Metal Panic kits don't. Seems that expense is a factor, since most of the kits including pilots inside by default are a bit more premium in price, while the cheaper Scopedog needs an expansion pack, but beyond that, there's some weird variation.

Mostly seems that P-Bandai exclusive lines lacks pilots, at least from what I can see, but RGs have removed them from new releases for a couple years. So, basically, who knows.