Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

beyond your abilities?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its a nintendo remake so its the same game with the same things so its good as hell but if you played the original game a million times like me then you've already played it

I love TTYD but I want the remake to make improvements e.g. redoing chapter 4 so it's not running up and down the same linear path repeatedly, there is literally no shot of that happening. There is gonna be no reason for me to buy it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Send help; started playing Hades, unsure how to stop

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Stop when you get Nintendo thumb.
That was the first game in 30 years to give me Nintendo thumb.
Here's a playlist I use as bgm, to keep it a little more varied. I've cobbled together all of Supergiant's tracks that give me a fighting vibe. Only excluding the slower sort of tracks.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAcO17X3bxS1VRKa6R4i43B6F3A0e4Pkj&si=YcF-5OFaaUFqlVKc

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 15, 2024

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I love TTYD but I want the remake to make improvements e.g. redoing chapter 4 so it's not running up and down the same linear path repeatedly, there is literally no shot of that happening. There is gonna be no reason for me to buy it.

ttyd is a remaster i believe, not a full remake. you're gonna be paying 50-60 bucks for the same game in higher def.

e: i should clarify that i too will be paying that, just like i will if and when wind waker hd is finally freed of its wii u prison.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 15, 2024

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When I first saw the trailer for the TTYD remake I thought it was all three in an HD trilogy pack, which would have been pretty hype.

TTYD by itself is hard to get really excited about. Sure it owns, but it’s not exactly a game that was dying for a remake.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Butterfly Valley posted:

don’t :getin:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I finished up XBC2 and wanted a break before diving into Torna/XBC3. I have a physical copy of Daemon X Machina I picked up but never played because it was in storage for a long time due to moving shenanigans.

I’m really loving this game. It’s the perfect couch game while I watch GDQ this week on the TV, and it feels like a lighter take on Armored Core in a lot of ways. I can’t remember what the reception to it was back when it came out, but I’m definitely a fan so far.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

ttyd is a remaster i believe, not a full remake. you're gonna be paying 50-60 bucks for the same game in higher def.

e: i should clarify that i too will be paying that, just like i will if and when wind waker hd is finally freed of its wii u prison.

WWHD runs freaking great in Cemu fwiw, just don't forget they didn't add QoL autosaves to the save system and lose a bunch of progress like I did.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I just beat Potato Flowers in Full Bloom and was very impressed, I can't recommend it enough. It's a really great dungeon crawler that constantly mixes things up, explores all the nuances of its dungeon and battle mechanics, then wraps things up before anything has a chance to get old - it takes about 20 hours to 100%. It seems to have released without any attention (metacritic score is still 'tbd' due to not enough reviews, 2 years after release) but I had a great time and I think more people should play it.

Visually the game has a very charming diorama-style presentation. One touch I love is that every time you open the menu the background will have your current party standing around on the current tile - sitting down and taking a break, peeking through the door to the next room, looking at shelves, that sort of thing. You can always rotate these little dioramas around. There's no secrets to find, it's just for fun. Also, during battle you can rotate the camera around to the far side of the UI and everyone's health will show up backwards.

There are no random encounters. Instead, every enemy group is hand placed, and you can see exactly what enemies are in it before attacking. Approaching from the side or back lets you get a free turn at the start of the fight - sometimes this is a reward for exploration, and sometimes it's a tradeoff in resources, like fighting an optional weaker group to get first strike on the stronger group blocking a door. Health and stamina are fully restored between fights, but spirit (MP, basically) only recovers when you leave the dungeon. Enemies also respawn when you leave the dungeon, so a constant goal of exploration is opening up shortcuts and alternate paths so you can skip fights and conserve your resources. Dying just kicks you out of the dungeon with no further penalties, and you can teleport out from anywhere when you're done exploring, so there's no need to worry about saving yourself for the trip back or losing progress.

The battle system is on the puzzle-y side of things - enemy damage is very high, but you always have perfect information about what they're going to do each turn, and most classes have skills to block, evade, or redirect enemy attacks. You put together a party of 3 from 8 different classes, but this isn't Etrian Odyssey or something where you choose a team and stick with it - exp is boosted if a party member is behind the enemies and reduced if a party member is ahead, so you can and probably should make one of each class and swap your team up regularly. Every class has a couple different ways they can be built, and there's a decent number of unique items you can find that let you mix things up further. Enemies are also pretty varied in what they can do, and the game will generally stick with certain enemy types just long enough for you to get a feel for them in a couple different formations before swapping them out for something new. Even the most common enemies probably don't show up in more than a half dozen encounters, and there's plenty of unique one-off foes you could miss entirely if you don't explore thoroughly.

The story is a minimalist low fantasy adventure. You've been sent to investigate an abandoned city to try and find the poison-resistant potato seeds the alchemists had been developing, and the stakes are that if you succeed you could improve crop yields. You'll gradually learn more about the setting and the politics behind your expedition, but there's no big twist or grand evil to fight against. You'll never get a lore dump about the backstory, but the npcs will all talk about what they do for a living, and you'll get snippets from in-universe historical texts about the structure you're exploring, so you end up with a good impression of what life is like on the island where the game takes place, even if there are lots of holes in the specifics. It gives the whole thing a very grounded feeling that I think ends up being a lot more interesting and compelling than if they had tried to tell a similarly barebones story about sealing away a demon king or something.

Anyway, it has a demo on the eshop that transfers over to the full game, so check it out if any of this sounds interesting.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Is there a physical version available?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Snake Maze posted:

I just beat Potato Flowers in Full Bloom and was very impressed, I can't recommend it enough.

Awesome review, thanks for posting this! Gonna have to check it out for sure.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

otter posted:

Is there a physical version available?

Nope, digital only

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Another that recently released and is not well known enough is Crystal Project. Hybrid of open world platformer and Final Fantasy V job system. Bare bones and inconsequential story. Build a party, whip rear end, combine pairs of jobs to make hybrid classes, no random encounters, you can see the enemies and they have color coding so you know their strength relative to yours, a combat system with threat mechanics so you can actually have characters tank for you, turn order manipulation, lots of secrets, so on and so on. Been on PC for a couple years and there's been a bunch of post launch patches including a randomizer iirc. Seems like it'll be really fun to explore and or break relentlessly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah drat. I was interested in that before but I don't want to fiddle with a job system.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Played the demo of The Pedestrian - is this the Donkey Kong (Game Boy) sequel the world demands, nay, needs?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Don't worry, you'll be able to stop soon without any effort at all

when Hades II comes out :getin:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So here’s a weird thing.

I’m stalled out with one of the switches in TOTK’s water temple. I’ve been throwing myself at it for 45 minutes and suddenly the game interprets my L button as Select if I tap it. I can hold it to pull up the radial menu for my powers but I can’t use my powers, L just opens the map if I tap it. I’ve rebooted the game and and checked the system bindings and they seem okay. Thankfully it’s just that manual save file that’s hosed up. I can load an auto save from 20 minutes ago and the problems not there (no progress lost cause it’s still at the same puzzle). I load the manual file from when it started and L is still opening my map. I’ve never experienced anything like this with any Switch game.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Butterfly Valley posted:

i thought i had unlocked everything, i bought all the ranks. i haven't even bothered turning in my fish. i kept playing because it's fun and there's so many builds to explore then i got the win notice for "500 patricides" and now i need to know if there's something for 1000

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I loved Hades up until seeing the real ending, but it's just barely a roguelike and there aren't really enough builds/weapons/levels to keep me playing perpetually like something like Binding of Isaac can.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Darth Nat posted:

I loved Hades up until seeing the real ending, but it's just barely a roguelike and there aren't really enough builds/weapons/levels to keep me playing perpetually like something like Binding of Isaac can.

24 weapons plus tons of builds on top of that isn't enough?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's really the lack of levels that killed off my interest since it's always the same four levels with the same enemies and bosses. I wish they had had some branching paths or something to make runs different. But no, it's not really enough weapons for hundreds of runs, at least for me.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The shield guys in Elysium can gently caress alllll the way off.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Waltzing Along posted:

nuclear throne has 100

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

American McGay posted:

When I first saw the trailer for the TTYD remake I thought it was all three in an HD trilogy pack, which would have been pretty hype.

TTYD by itself is hard to get really excited about. Sure it owns, but it’s not exactly a game that was dying for a remake.

Given it's literally impossible to get TTYD through official channels anymore, and it's been a hard to find game for over a decade by now as it is, I'd say it's exactly the kind of game that's screaming for a remaster. Plus I'm down to pay $60 to tell Nintendo that they should start making Paper Mario games with actual characters other than Toads again.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Plus I'm down to pay $60 to tell Nintendo that they should start making Paper Mario games with actual characters other than Toads again.

this dude seriously don't remember Bobby

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The virgin official channels obeyer vs the Chad running Dolphin at 4K60 on my iPad Air gamer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paper Mario 1000 Year Door looks like they have replaced all the models and textures and probably done some other stuff, kind of between a full remake and a remaster, like Metroid Prime was.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TTYD is one of the best games ever made and one of my top 5 of all time and a remake will be GOAT'd

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paper Mario 1000 Year Door is scheduled for Games Done Quick, by the way, Wednesday morning 3:30AM EST

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Stux posted:

nuclear throne has 100

Nuclear Throne is awesome and I'll plant my butt on that cushy seat one day. I like Robot, Horror, Y.V., and Steroids best. I'll probably never unlock the secret characters though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hades was good enough for me to finish it on Switch and plat it on PS5, can't ask much more from a game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just beat Crisis Core, it was really good. Zack rules

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We have 3 open spots for joining a Nintendo Online Family Expansion Pack thingamajob:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3983185&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post537145471

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the demo for that new prince of Persia game has me 100% sold. It’s great

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I also just picked up Hades, after it went in sale and it's rad

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

I just beat Potato Flowers in Full Bloom.

Genuinely don’t know if this game is for me even if I want to like the genre, but that’s a great review. Wonderful post!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Theseus and Asterius can go suck a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Snake Maze posted:

Galaxy is like an amusement park ride. Everything is so polished and frictionless that nothing makes an impression, you just do the obvious next step and it all blends together. Sunshine has far more room for player mastery (with more advanced movement techniques and more situations where you can put them to use) and the open level structure lets you explore and find things or just take a different route instead of following the rails.

I get what you're saying but I would not lump the motion control and pointer centric levels under frictionless. :v: The latter especially in the switch version since you can't immediately get the pointer to go where you want.