Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Rodney The Yam II posted:

We've talked about bougie sandwich shops itt?!

i miss quiznos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

actually i mostly just miss their horseradish sauce

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Reubens are leftist, club sandwiches are bourgeois. BLTs are anarcho-primitivist

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

Reubens are leftist, club sandwiches are bourgeois. BLTs are anarcho-primitivist

Singing Государственный гимн СССР as I spread dressing onto some rye bread

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

Exactly, he claims to want to fix housing, but how? Immigration? That isn't the source of the problem, the lack of new affordable units is, plus you just know he'll massively expand temporary foreign worker numbers.

maybe hell wave his magic wand and make cheese cost $1/100g again

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
once I went to england and they had extremely good cheese and it was also very cheap. I long for affordable cheese.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rodney The Yam II posted:

We've talked about bougie sandwich shops itt?!

Somebody scarred from discussions from when they closed The Main

Also

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Bilirubin posted:

Somebody scarred from discussions from when they closed The Main

Also

I will not vote for the shittiest banh mi I have ever seen

i am assuming they mean the sandwich and not just bread

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Juul-Whip posted:

i think the most devastating critique you can make of poilievre is that hes ultimately not going to actually do anything radically different than what trudeau is currently doing

My big fear is they lean into American culture war bullshit and start going after trans people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

RuBisCO posted:

I will not vote for the shittiest banh mi I have ever seen

i am assuming they mean the sandwich and not just bread

posting in a banh mi thread

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

My big fear is they lean into American culture war bullshit and start going after trans people.

start? what do you think all this poo poo about pronouns in schools is?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Welp no more power left in Alberta again, it's been a pleasure posting with you all

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bilirubin posted:

Welp no more power left in Alberta again, it's been a pleasure posting with you all

i bet they regret inviting all those ontarians now

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Make fun of PP all the time. I especially like anything that points out he's a giant phony. The dude presents himself as the Ur-working man, but has never had a real job. He's been in politics since he was a teenager. Make-up and photo ops are who he is at his absolute core, point it out.

yep call him Pierre never had a real job Milhouse Poilievre and point out at every opportunity that the only government spending he supports are MP wage increases and living allowances.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i bet they regret inviting all those ontarians now

*Wayne Gretzky cackles*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Buck__Breaker/status/1746225416023797875?t=RZxiVS2DrDcCcbpc1zXXPQ&s=19

Oh good when the power gets turned off they freeze out the First Nations to start.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Arivia posted:

start? what do you think all this poo poo about pronouns in schools is?

I mean more like literally banning transition like what's happening in Texas and Ohio.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

UnknownMercenary posted:

I mean more like literally banning transition like what's happening in Texas and Ohio.

yeah itll take a few years for us to import American policy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ZShakespeare posted:

yeah itll take a few years for us to import American policy.

3-5 ime

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought the future was going to be Mad Max, not Frostpunk.

Too bad you can't heat homes with irony.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I thought the future was going to be Mad Max, not Frostpunk.

Too bad you can't heat homes with irony.

depending on the season and region it can be both

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Speaking of PP, someone in my circle says Danielle Smith was a boring politician on her first go round, had a NPR-esque radio show and came back made over as a firebrand. Does anyone know about this?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I should play frostpunk. I think I might have picked it up at one point

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Frosted Flake posted:

Speaking of PP, someone in my circle says Danielle Smith was a boring politician on her first go round, had a NPR-esque radio show and came back made over as a firebrand. Does anyone know about this?
Dani has been batshit since she was in the Calgary school board at the turn of the millennium.

Also frostpunk is great.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

80% of your energy generation (right now) is from natural gas, that's not green lmaoooooo

Extra irony, the 'free market' solution of their grid should be to increase demand for power from other provinces/US. The current price Alberta is paying is off the charts at over $999.99 MWh. For perspective, Ontario's same kind of market is bouncing from $14 MWh to about $90 MWh peaking demand.

Alberta truly is proving how much they are the Texas of Canada with a faltering grid when it gets too hot/cold..

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

at least texas had an excuse, its hot as poo poo so why would they winterize

it is an absolute failure to have a province in canada, the country built on a foundation of jokes about dogsledding to work, freezing so hard that the electrons can't get to my many lamps

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Frosted Flake posted:

she led one of the ab conservative breakaway sects for a bit (wildrose maybe?) and didn't get to form a government. then had a radio show on the calgary corus talk radio station. each episode was a million hours long and I never heard more than a snippet here and there so I can't speak to its npr-ness. also have not listened to npr so really can't help with that comparison. I never got the impression she cared about "balance" or "journalism" if that means anything. she had a column at the calgary herald for a bit.

I've always thought she was more empty headed than anything else. whoever talks to her last sets her position, just kinda goes with whatever, somehow staying this side of sane juuust enough to stay in the game. alberta's joe rogan.

I don't get the sense she's more or less boring over time, just a steady unseriousness?

checking wikipedia about her writing a column so I don't send you on a goose chase and it says tom flanagan was her mentor, that instinctively checks out but I'm not sure I could explain why.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

thankfully thats legally impossible up here. what we might see are efforts to get providers kicked out of specific areas, like how theres hosed up access to abortion in what is it, NB?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The propaganda must have been so good to make generations of idiots believe that putting things in control of the private market who are subject to the profit motive and accountable to shareholders would somehow both reduce costs and increase quality for the customer.

WHEN HAS THAT EVER loving HAPPENED?!?!?!???!?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

I can't go to my local Asian independent grocer because one of their security guards stomped one of my patients to death :(

I'm sorry qhat

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

The propaganda must have been so good to make generations of idiots believe that putting things in control of the private market who are subject to the profit motive and accountable to shareholders would somehow both reduce costs and increase quality for the customer.

I posted a lot about this a while back, our reigning ideology doesn't believe in efficacy but it sure as hell believes in efficiency. In this paradigm, even if the government is good at doing something, the lack of competition means it is not the most maximally efficient provider of that service, and you could theoretically have a private provider that offers the same level of service but at a lower cost, because the profit motive will incentivize it to reduce costs somewhere along the way. Of course they don't recognize that doing so completely rewrites the incentives of the provider away from "provide a good service" towards "maximize profit" and how that inevitably affects the service itself, because this paradigm doesn't have room for an understanding that quality is different from profit margin - because again, in their idealized frictionless sphere economy, if the utility provider is low quality and you care about that, you can just switch to the competitor who provides a higher quality service. It's all nonsense, but it's persuasive nonsense because saving money right now is something you can see on a balance sheet while cutting services to the bone in the name of efficiency is usually invisible until oops! we have an emergency and the service collapsed.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

the only ideology is anti-communism, the looting of the public good is the price you have to pay to ensure your betters stay better than you.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

efficiency refers to how efficient it is at siphoning wealth from the public to the shareholders. in that respect the private market is very good.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I just ask the Efficiency Understander "ok who benefits from that efficiency?" if they're most people, that's the end of the conversation. The philosophically inclined might say "well, the company will pass the cost savings on to the consumer," to which you say "has that ever happened in your life?" then they get mad at you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karach posted:

I just ask the Efficiency Understander "ok who benefits from that efficiency?" if they're most people, that's the end of the conversation. The philosophically inclined might say "well, the company will pass the cost savings on to the consumer," to which you say "has that ever happened in your life?" then they get mad at you.

The theorist would say that the process of competitive bidding (for public contracts) should drive down costs and get the best deal for the taxpayer, assuming of course that the government competently sets a minimum standard of delivery so that the end result meets the required standards, while the process of market competition (for private contracts) means companies that pass on cost savings to customers will get more business than companies that don't.

These theories are fairly easily disproven by real-world evidence in examples like governments routinely spending more in the long run by accepting the lowest bidder that then turns out to be unable to deliver the contract as promised (a multitude of good examples of why valuing efficiency over efficacy turns out worse in the long run), or spending more in the long run by accepting whichever bidder is the minister's best friend from school, or by the mysterious way that private competition in essential sectors like telecommunications and grocery stores has somehow not driven down prices for customers.

It's usually pretty pointless trying to have this discussion with people though, because the people who matter and are making these decisions are typically some combination of ideologues who believe this system can't fail, it can only be failed (if we just had an even more unregulated private market everything would be great) and cynics who know the system doesn't work as promised but personally benefit from its failures.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

StealthArcher posted:

I'm sorry qhat
It was part of an extensive period where the security guards at Lucky 97 were notoriously more violent than at any other business in the inner city. Like instead of just keeping a close eye on the homeless visiting the store (and I'll admit they're more likely to shoplift; times is tough) they would rough them up on the regular. I saw a bunch of people with broken arms, more so than from the police at that time. It culminated when one of them found one of my clinic's patients and stomped him to death.

Frustration over involuntary celibacy led to killing, former security guard says.

Anyhow, I told myself I wouldn't shop at Lucky 97 anymore.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

thankfully thats legally impossible up here. what we might see are efforts to get providers kicked out of specific areas, like how theres hosed up access to abortion in what is it, NB?

Neither NB or PEI have abortion to my knowledge.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Unless something changed in PEI recently, getting an abortion on PEI means driving yourself to Halifax, at your cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

The theorist would say that the process of competitive bidding (for public contracts) should drive down costs and get the best deal for the taxpayer, assuming of course that the government competently sets a minimum standard of delivery so that the end result meets the required standards, while the process of market competition (for private contracts) means companies that pass on cost savings to customers will get more business than companies that don't.

These theories are fairly easily disproven by real-world evidence in examples like governments routinely spending more in the long run by accepting the lowest bidder that then turns out to be unable to deliver the contract as promised (a multitude of good examples of why valuing efficiency over efficacy turns out worse in the long run), or spending more in the long run by accepting whichever bidder is the minister's best friend from school, or by the mysterious way that private competition in essential sectors like telecommunications and grocery stores has somehow not driven down prices for customers.

It's usually pretty pointless trying to have this discussion with people though, because the people who matter and are making these decisions are typically some combination of ideologues who believe this system can't fail, it can only be failed (if we just had an even more unregulated private market everything would be great) and cynics who know the system doesn't work as promised but personally benefit from its failures.

there's a guy at my local, works at a bank in some capacity, reads a lot of books, and has a solution to every problem in canadian society.

without fail, the solution is based on a purely theoretical intro to subject level understanding of, well, everything. it's like he has somehow never interacted with the real world, despite being ostensibly the same age as me. it's a really bizarre worldview.

he's south african and seems to have a more nuanced view of their politics and society, but somehow that doesn't translate to canada.