Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Make Blurnsball happen. Spice it up a little, MLB

Two words: Gun Circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Cerekk posted:

During the break, one of the officials stands out on the field preventing play from starting while a countdown clock counts down the time until the commercial break is over.

Yashweh Godbastard Christos.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I got my new bluetooth earbuds today and... you need a loving samsung app to pair them to your phone. You can't just pair them as a goddamn bluetooth device lmao what the gently caress. And the app doesn't work unless you give it access to your location services

They do sound real good tho

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 15, 2024

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
What happens if you try to use them with a desktop computer?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Atopian posted:

What happens if you try to use them with a desktop computer?

A SWAT team is sent to your house.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cerekk posted:

During the break, one of the officials stands out on the field preventing play from starting while a countdown clock counts down the time until the commercial break is over.

The Man In The Red Hat is the most disgusting, vile man in all sports

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I got my new bluetooth earbuds today and... you need a loving samsung app to pair them to your phone. You can't just pair them as a goddamn bluetooth device lmao what the gently caress. And the app doesn't work unless you give it access to your location services

They do sound real good tho

Wait you installed the app anyway? Do you realize that if people like you didn't do that then companies would stop doing poo poo like this? Fuckin' hell.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is there an app or service that sends garbage trackable data just to make ad algorithms worse?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is there an app or service that sends garbage trackable data just to make ad algorithms worse?

If not, someone should make one and then be sent directly to jail for life when its immediately made illegal to own or use

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Dunno about an app but this is for web

https://adnauseam.io/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Wait you installed the app anyway? Do you realize that if people like you didn't do that then companies would stop doing poo poo like this? Fuckin' hell.

Yeah but then I also wouldn't have earbuds for my bus commute and gently caress that

I found an option in the weird-rear end incomprehensible booklet that came with them for manual bluetooth pairing though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 15, 2024

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

humpthewind posted:

Dunno about an app but this is for web

https://adnauseam.io/

Great, thank you!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
It’s so poo poo how YouTube is now 99% clickbait poo poo! It used to only be some of it and now it’s basically all of it! Stupid video titles and dumbass ‘content’ and just so much nonsense. The platform has entered the terminal stage of enshittification if you ask me. Looks like the end of Web 2.0 all round really, I’m so surprised that the pandemic killed it, thought it’d be around for ages yet but yeah.. it’s dying if not dead

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Turn off (and "delete") your watch history, turn off preview animations, and only ever use the subscriptions tab with the videos-only filter. You should only ever use the app/site as an rss feed of a tightly pruned subscription list that happens to have a built in video player

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Sentient Data posted:

Turn off (and "delete") your watch history, turn off preview animations, and only ever use the subscriptions tab with the videos-only filter. You should only ever use the app/site as an rss feed of a tightly pruned subscription list that happens to have a built in video player

I’ll give it a go but my subscriptions page is hardly much better! Maybe it needs a-prunin’

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Dip Viscous posted:

Last month my niece received the package full of candy that I mailed to her for Halloween 2020.

That’s one way to guarantee an Xmas present is a surprise.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have wondered if one of the reasons live soccer isn't as commercially successfully in the US is that the 45 minute long halves with no natural breaks don't fit into the ad schedule.

In a similar vein: Cross-country skiing can be a long slog of a race. The rights to show it have moved between channels and I don't know who has it now, but a few years ago they started doing splitscreen ads to fit some ad revenue in without interrupting the live stream. It's never popular, though of course it really matters when they time it. A couple of years ago they got in so much trouble they got a warning (and possibly a fine, I can't find the conclusion) from the media authorities - you can apparently only do splitscreen ads during long live broadcasts and in a way that does not significantly impact the viewer experience. (Which basically means "not when there's something exciting happening, dummies")

This sort of poo poo:

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 15, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

I purged my watch history recently and that actually made things worse. Turns out my bad recommendations were holding back a wave of much worse recommendations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wash bucket posted:

I purged my watch history recently and that actually made things worse. Turns out my bad recommendations were holding back a wave of much worse recommendations.

yeah lol. i threw on incognito mode to watch yt last night cause now theyre throttling down speeds to adblock users, and holy gently caress the garbage content on the front page of someone not logged in/providing history data is unreal

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’ll be honest my YouTube recs have mostly been great? Maybe it’s because I don’t consume much gaming related content? It’s all homesteading, aviation or cooking for me

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’ll be honest my YouTube recs have mostly been great? Maybe it’s because I don’t consume much gaming related content? It’s all homesteading, aviation or cooking for me

yeah so are mine. when they're curated by my history. without that, it recommends pure cancer

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I thought it was implicit, but yeah, do not even bother looking at recommendations, shorts, or comments. Use human recommendations like suggestions from actual friends, non-lovely creators, and the goon youtube thread

Here, you like Chinese cooking? This channel is awesome and one i found in the youtube thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dP-MmC25I

If you've got a miracle good feed you can disregard i guess, but still talk to others to break out of your algo bubble

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Any channel with a YouTube face video thumbnail that somehow snuck into my feed is immediately hit with “Do not recommend”. There’s a high correlation between those thumbnails and low quality of content.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

wash bucket posted:

That definitely happens. Personally I think the whole site is FUBAR at this stage

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
By the way, the very best way of finding the good stuff on YouTube is through goon watch party website https://goontu.be/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854286 (Join us! When people are online that is! Which is generally the evening in US timezones!)

But YouTube the OG website is definitely getting shittier and shittier to use imho and if it weren’t for the miracle that is goontube I’d probably give it up entirely

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 15, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Any channel with a YouTube face video thumbnail that somehow snuck into my feed is immediately hit with “Do not recommend”. There’s a high correlation between those thumbnails and low quality of content.

i see less of this than i used to

in general i think the youtube algorithm is pretty smart. shorts are terrible and i smack down a bad recommendation once every week or two or so but i generally get what i want to see (fishing and guitar stuff, cars, cool nerd poo poo, artsy stuff, the occasional actual good video essay)

i don't think i remember ever being recommended weird right-wing poo poo and like, i watch a ton of bass fishing videos and guys upgrading cars

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm also on an account since 2006 without clearing my history and never get right wing poo poo.

The worst was when I wasn't logged in at the office, that convinced me there must be additional IP considerations because it was full of right wing poo poo as were many of my coworkers at the time

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

The worst was when I wasn't logged in at the office, that convinced me there must be additional IP considerations because it was full of right wing poo poo as were many of my coworkers at the time

I think that’s just the default now. I started a new job where I have to use Microsoft Edge and it kept showing me a non-stop parade of boomer rage bait news headlines on every new tab.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Amazing timing, this happened to me just now:

I've noticed the automatic quality degradation (to save server/peering bandwidth) kick in when I've things like old gdq runs running in the background for hours similar to an "are you still watching" nag, but this is the first video i put on tonight.

And no, I doubt it's bandwidth-related on my end since I just pulled about 90mb/s on a couple speed tests before posting this

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Computer viking posted:

I have wondered if one of the reasons live soccer isn't as commercially successfully in the US is that the 45 minute long halves with no natural breaks don't fit into the ad schedule.

NASCAR did fine for a while and has the same issue. Live soccer isn't commercially successful because the top leagues all play at like at 9am on a Thursday, and Americans have absolutely zero interest in anything they're not the best at.

This is also why your typical American sports fan is familiar with some women soccer players but can't name a single American men's soccer player.

If the USMNT ever wins a world cup you'll suddenly have 50 million Americans claiming to have been watching soccer for years.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wash bucket posted:

I think that’s just the default now. I started a new job where I have to use Microsoft Edge and it kept showing me a non-stop parade of boomer rage bait news headlines on every new tab.

That's just regular news IMO. A clean install of Windows 10 with Edge will immediately have some article about Trump at the top of the page. But again, I think that's just the news in 2024. Nothing specifically targeted.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I finally enjoy watching soccer but it took watching like 6 games with an ex pro player explaining what's interesting lol

the lack of commercials is really nice once you're in to it though, makes watching american sports even more painful

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'll be the dumb American. I enjoy watching soccer because of the lack of commercials, and the unusual air times (mornings).

I played soccer growing up, I love playing it. BUT, for a LOT of matches, there's no scoring, or little scoring. It can be a boring sport.

0-0 is not an exciting entertainment product.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

wash bucket posted:

I use the same account for Google News actually and have just stopped going there entirely because of that. after the tenth time opening it to see another Forbes article about how really I should want to have to go back to the office, I decided anything important ehhh ill probably hear about it on SA

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Edgelading page is pretty bad, but it's not nearly as bad as the start page of Chrome on my Android phone, which is exclusively AI generated disinfo clickbait from fake websites. At least Edge generally links to sites that don't try to outright scam you.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

redshirt posted:

I'll be the dumb American. I enjoy watching soccer because of the lack of commercials, and the unusual air times (mornings).

I played soccer growing up, I love playing it. BUT, for a LOT of matches, there's no scoring, or little scoring. It can be a boring sport.

0-0 is not an exciting entertainment product.

Pretty sure this is why they made hockey goalie pads smaller 6 years ago, low scoring games were kind of boring unless you’re an elite hockey super fan who loves watching defense like me

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Pretty sure this is why they made hockey goalie pads smaller 6 years ago, low scoring games were kind of boring unless you’re an elite hockey super fan who loves watching defense like me

I regret to inform you that that change happened almost 20 years ago and you are old.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Cerekk posted:

I regret to inform you that that change happened almost 20 years ago and you are old.

I about had a panic attack and checked and the last rule change went into effect for the 2013-2014 season which was… 10 years ago. Still not better. Panic attack re-engaged

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They should make the goals wider, the same width as the penalty box. All other rules the same.

Wouldn't a 6-5 soccer game be much more exciting than 1-0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

I about had a panic attack and checked and the last rule change went into effect for the 2013-2014 season which was… 10 years ago. Still not better. Panic attack re-engaged

I didn't realize they had done it again after the big change they made after Jean-Sebastian Giguere had like a 1.2 GAA during the 2003 playoffs