Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Volte posted:

The VGA version of Secret of Monkey Island was $60 USD when it came out, equivalent of around $140 USD today. Never spend more than 140 bucks on a video game IMO.

People like to forget that video games were priced between $40-60 back in the 90’s. Or probably they weren't around then to know better. Final Fantasy VI was about $80!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

mutata posted:

What about egg pushers and pencilheads?

Well, can't help you on the egg pushers, but Toontown had/has this guy who is both a pencil pusher and a pencilhead:

https://toontown.fandom.com/wiki/Pencil_Pusher

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Comparing video game prices now to what they were in the 90s you have to consider that console games came on cartridges that contained all kinds of weird chips and memory that was crazy expensive which is partly why the were so expensive. Plus, they had to ship them from Japan and pay a hefty sum to Nintendo/Sega for the privilege.
PC games was still a niche market and they came in huge boxes with tons of stuff in them. Monkey Island 1 sold "less than 1 million" and that was considered a big success probably.

My point is, it cost a lot more to make the physical product back then.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I guess it's hard to justify paying $50 for a game like Hollow Knight when Hollow Knight costs $15. I think I got it for $7 when I played it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

bone emulator posted:

Comparing video game prices now to what they were in the 90s you have to consider that console games came on cartridges that contained all kinds of weird chips and memory that was crazy expensive which is partly why the were so expensive. Plus, they had to ship them from Japan and pay a hefty sum to Nintendo/Sega for the privilege.
PC games was still a niche market and they came in huge boxes with tons of stuff in them. Monkey Island 1 sold "less than 1 million" and that was considered a big success probably.

My point is, it cost a lot more to make the physical product back then.

This was also why a lot of NES games were bullshit hard, they had like 45 minutes of game and cost a fortune you had to make it last longer to be worth the money (or to justify renting it multiple times)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

This was also why a lot of NES games were bullshit hard, they had like 45 minutes of game and cost a fortune you had to make it last longer to be worth the money (or to justify renting it multiple times)

Most of them were bullshit hard because of Japan. Nintendo hated that Americans could rent their games. The Japanese versions were often easier.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Strawberry Panda posted:

I guess it's hard to justify paying $50 for a game like Hollow Knight when Hollow Knight costs $15. I think I got it for $7 when I played it.

There's room for a middle ground. Indie studios currently have to be wildly successful to support themselves.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m thinking of paying $50 for a game like Hollow Knight because I already played Hollow Knight

I don’t remember what I spent on it but it may approach $50 because I bought it twice (PC and PS4)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hollow Knight is worth the same as a AAA game

whether that means AAA prices should go down, or Hollow Knight's price should go up, is another question

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
hell, hollow knight is worth more than your average AAA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Games should release at standard price fifty dollars, then go down quicker or slower depending on how good they are before finally joining the semi abandonware tier of bundles.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Federal minimum wage hasn’t risen much since the 90’s so it’s appropriate that video game prices not rise much either

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's an annual event that is run for one of my favorite roguelikes of all time: the Ancient Cave from Lufia 2. It's a "minigame" inside the main game that lets you go down a 100 floor randomly-generated dungeon, starting at level 1 with no spells or items, and you pick up everything from chests along the way. It's brutally difficult, unbelievably unforgiving, and the final boss on the bottom floor, a giant Jelly, has 9999 HP and flees if you don't kill it by the end of turn 3. This game mode has persisted throughout the years as a speedrun tournament, where players will both try to finish the dungeon in under two hours(killing the jelly yields a huge point bonus) and also complete special objectives set by the tourney coordinators, like using/not using certain characters, not using specific extremely powerful items, finding certain drops from enemies, etc. It's a great time, and they upload their event VODs to youtube every year now. Here are this year's semifinals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1yaVr1ywCs&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDlGu1-GxE&hd=1

It's often super tense, because even killing the jelly doesn't guarantee you win the match, as it's possible to overtake a jelly kill by completing other objectives. And due to the RNG nature of the dungeon layout, runs can simply end on the spot with bad luck, if you happen to have a Blue Mimic spawn on top of a staircase to the next floor, it's basically game over since you've probably not done enough grinding to be able to beat one. The commentators do a great job at keeping up with each player's progress, too.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
Does anyone still play fortnite?

I am not good at it but would like to get better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I recall there being a few regulars in this thread playing Fortnite a lot. But otherwise it’s not that popular on SA I think?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqvmFrV46c

Hell yeah

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i wish this game didn't cost so goddamn much, reina looks sick

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No one plays fortnite, those are all bots

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't wait to play that in Like A Dragon 12.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wrong fighting game series

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Invictus posted:

there's an annual event that is run for one of my favorite roguelikes of all time: the Ancient Cave from Lufia 2.
[...]
It's often super tense, because even killing the jelly doesn't guarantee you win the match, as it's possible to overtake a jelly kill by completing other objectives. And due to the RNG nature of the dungeon layout, runs can simply end on the spot with bad luck, if you happen to have a Blue Mimic spawn on top of a staircase to the next floor, it's basically game over since you've probably not done enough grinding to be able to beat one. The commentators do a great job at keeping up with each player's progress, too.

I don't follow it too closely but I take a peek every year and I really appreciate that they're always massaging the race conditions and points to try and find that sweet spot where the slime's the definite goal but you're not stuck with a dead run with 30 minutes left or anything. They're trying to keep it competitive and interesting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Incredible that REØ has two of the most annoying enemies in gaming history when the rest of the franchise has none.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Gaius Marius posted:

Incredible that REØ has two of the most annoying enemies in gaming history when the rest of the franchise has none.

Crimson Heads from Re1Remake suck balls.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Gaius Marius posted:

The bugs in RE4Remake suck rear end!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
^^ The bugs in original RE4 were way more annoying.

Are there any good wireless PS2 controllers?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There's a voice in the new Prince of Persia that's sounding AI based, and I can't tell if it's that or a filter.

Edit: Oh hey it's just straigjt up a TTS hold over :lol: https://kotaku.com/prince-persia-lost-crown-npc-kalux-text-to-speech-ai-1851160720

It's also clones 90% of Hollow Knights systems. It's pretty enjoyable thus far.

Waffleman_ posted:

A lot of the design decisions for the NES/Master System era were still based around how they used to design arcade games.
IE games are hard because they wanted you to keep pumping quarters in.

Obviously not all the games were like that, but once you start hitting SNES/Genesis that design mentality got rolled back a fair bit.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Infinitum posted:

There's a voice in the new Prince of Persia that's sounding AI based, and I can't tell if it's that or a filter.

Edit: Oh hey it's just straigjt up a TTS hold over :lol: https://kotaku.com/prince-persia-lost-crown-npc-kalux-text-to-speech-ai-1851160720

It's also clones 90% of Hollow Knights systems. It's pretty enjoyable thus far.

A lot of the design decisions for the NES/Master System era were still based around how they used to design arcade games.
IE games are hard because they wanted you to keep pumping quarters in.

Obviously not all the games were like that, but once you start hitting SNES/Genesis that design mentality got rolled back a fair bit.

I really like Jeff Gerstman's ranking of NES games series he has been doing for a couple months, because he does that kind of analysis, how a lo ot of these NES games were straight up bullshit in part because videogame mechanics were still being figured out.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I work in dialysis now and there's an oft used acronym called KDQOL and it makes me think KDQOL KDOQL panic every time I see it. But I cannot share this with anyone at work because it's a dumb esoteric joke.

So instead I share my thoughts with you, game thread.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KDDQD

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IDQOL

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PacoPepe posted:

I really like Jeff Gerstman's ranking of NES games series he has been doing for a couple months, because he does that kind of analysis, how a lo ot of these NES games were straight up bullshit in part because videogame mechanics were still being figured out.

I remember getting Bayou Billy as a kid based primarily off the cover art

Kid brain was surely going "A Crocodile Dundee video game?!?!!!" when I was convincing my parents to buy it.

Yeah nah, this game is loving impossible. Never got past the first level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUZcbojyLBs

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I discovered recently that a game I played a lot as a kid, Rocket Knight Adventures, had different difficulty options in different regions.

In Japan the difficulties were Normal, Hard, Very Hard and Crazy Hard.

In the US they were renamed to Children, Easy, Normal and Hard and they made it so you can't fight the final boss on the lowest difficulty.

I spent so much time trying to beat this loving game on Very Hard because whoever brought the game to the US is a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zokari posted:

I discovered recently that a game I played a lot as a kid, Rocket Knight Adventures, had different difficulty options in different regions.

In Japan the difficulties were Normal, Hard, Very Hard and Crazy Hard.

In the US they were renamed to Children, Easy, Normal and Hard and they made it so you can't fight the final boss on the lowest difficulty.

I spent so much time trying to beat this loving game on Very Hard because whoever brought the game to the US is a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Speaking of, apparently all 3 games in the series are getting a compilation release on the Switch:

https://nintendoeverything.com/rocket-knight-adventures-re-sparked-announced-for-switch/

Also that's not the first time something like that's ever happened ("Normal" mode in Mega Man 2 was actually an easier difficulty setting they added for the western release)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Infinitum posted:

I remember getting Bayou Billy as a kid based primarily off the cover art

Kid brain was surely going "A Crocodile Dundee video game?!?!!!" when I was convincing my parents to buy it.

Yeah nah, this game is loving impossible. Never got past the first level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUZcbojyLBs

Lmao my dad bought that one for the NES, also presumably for the Crocodile Dundee reference, I don't remember him playing past the 2nd stage with the lightgun bit and I only remember that because we had a NES Zapper which only worked with 3 games. It's quite cathartic to see that was still about a 1/3rd of the game, lmao.

The other lightgun game I remember my dad playing was Hogans Alley - it had kicking music but my child brain could not understand why Hulk Hogan was nowhere to be seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RZdbIvW3LI

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was in fact extremely common since you could rent games easily in the west but not in Japan, in fact Nintendo went out their way to try and make it basically illegal.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sakurazuka posted:

It was in fact extremely common since you could rent games easily in the west but not in Japan, in fact Nintendo went out their way to try and make it basically illegal.

i remember scrounging 3 quid off my grandmother for "lunch money" but really it was to rent Earthworm Jim from our local rental place, I think you only got 2 full nights for £3 which was crazy crap value looking back

then they brought in playstation games and jumped it up to £5, still, the first place I ever got my hands on Doom

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wasn't the rule in Japan that you could literally only rent games directly from the publisher, which they generally weren't going to let you do

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe there were also a few instances up to at least the PS2 era of companies intentionally making the western versions of games harder in order to discourage rentals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I rented and beat Bayou Billy as a kid, but only because Nintendo Power had a full layout of the game and explained some of the bullshit in one issue.

P2W in 1988 smh