Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mystes posted:

(when you're mixing it into stuff I don't think the texture makes any difference, though; you just have to adjust for density if you're using volumetric measurements)

This drives me crazy, why do recipes that involve mixing salt into stuff try to specify kosher salt? It's going to dissolve, it doesn't matter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah I want larger granules for sprinkling because I find I get more hotspots with the finer stuff. It’s harder to control the rate of release with the finer salt.

I should just learn to sprinkle better, but I have to teach my kids too…
With diamond just sprinkle a bunch from like a foot above the food while moving your hand in a circle

alnilam posted:

This drives me crazy, why do recipes that involve mixing salt into stuff try to specify kosher salt? It's going to dissolve, it doesn't matter!
I don't necessarily mind them specifying kosher salt because they have to pick some type of salt and I'll probably have to convert it anyway, but I hate if they don't say which kosher salt or if they just say "salt"

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 11, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

With diamond just sprinkle a bunch from like a foot above the food while moving your hand in a circle

Yeah I was doing that but my, uh, pinch-release timing is remembered from coarse so I need to fix that habit.

or get some new salt

mystes posted:

I don't necessarily mind them specifying kosher salt because they have to pick some type of salt and I'll probably have to convert it anyway, but I hate if they don't say which kosher salt or if they just say "salt"

It’s fine if the recipe is in mass and not volume, I think, which any respectable baking recipe will be I hope.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think professional baking recipes would have the salt as a weight percent or something but most normal recipes don't use mass for salt, probably because most normal kitchen scales aren't good for doing like a teaspoon of salt (this is why you also need a drug scale)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With diamond kosher salt I usually crush the crystals between my fingers during sprinkling. I think I got a nice even flow with that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, all. I will consider my fingers to be kitchen equipment for purposes of this thread.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I use Maldon salt as a finishing salt and a salt for salads. Otherwise yeah diamond kosher evvvry day for everything else.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Eeyo posted:

With diamond kosher salt I usually crush the crystals between my fingers during sprinkling. I think I got a nice even flow with that.

Surprised no one else hass mentioned this. The true power of Diamond kosher salt is its crushability. Toss whole flakes or crush as you sprinkle for coverage.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

prayer group posted:

Surprised no one else hass mentioned this. The true power of Diamond kosher salt is its crushability. Toss whole flakes or crush as you sprinkle for coverage.

My only issue with Diamond Crystal salt is that nobody in Houston seems to stock it. For all that people rave about it, it sure is difficult to get - and I'd feel weird ordering salt of Amazon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have never worked out what kosher salt is, just not something we have in the UK. Now you're taking me there are multiple types of kosher salt?

I tried looking it up and the article on it said it didn't have iodine or dextrose in it like table salt, but table salt doesn't have iodine or dextrose in it.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 12, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Eeyo posted:

IDK mine never burns, most of it is just scratches and metal from my pots :shrug:

My parents have an electric glass stove top that is 25 years old at this point and is unscratched. My induction stove top is 10 years old and looks like poo poo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Aramoro posted:

I have never worked out what kosher salt is, just not something we have in the UK. Now you're taking me there are multiple types of kosher salt?

I tried looking it up and the article on it said it didn't have iodine or dextrose in it like table salt, but table salt doesn't have iodine or dextrose in it.

It's a coarse salt used to draw blood out. Really, it should be called koshering salt. But, as you noticed, it's also got no additives. Mostly you'll see it as a large, sort of flat crystal instead of a small relatively round crystal.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

torgeaux posted:

It's a coarse salt used to draw blood out. Really, it should be called koshering salt. But, as you noticed, it's also got no additives. Mostly you'll see it as a large, sort of flat crystal instead of a small relatively round crystal.

I have done more Salt reading on the basis on my confusion so now I understand.

We have Table (Fine salty salt) , Rock (Course grains) and Sea Salt (Flakey, like Maldon)

As part of a health programme in the US you Iodized table salt to help prevent goiters. So then Kosher salt became popular, essentially as uniodized salt because it tastes weird.

Salt no longer needs to be Iodized in the US anymore as folk are eating a better diet in general but the preference for uniodized salt, i. e. Kosher salt remained.

I think the closest thing we have to Kosher salt will be rock salt, a course salt you would use for preserving etc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aramoro posted:

We have Table (Fine salty salt) , Rock (Course grains) and Sea Salt (Flakey, like Maldon)

As part of a health programme in the US you Iodized table salt to help prevent goiters. So then Kosher salt became popular, essentially as uniodized salt because it tastes weird.

Salt no longer needs to be Iodized in the US anymore as folk are eating a better diet in general but the preference for uniodized salt, i. e. Kosher salt remained.

I think the closest thing we have to Kosher salt will be rock salt, a course salt you would use for preserving etc.
I mean yeah it's all sodium chloride so the only thing that's really different is the texture

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Aramoro posted:

Kosher salt is popular not for the lack of iodine, but because in prepping steak, for example, it's shape/size makes it better. Table salt is always available with or without iodine. I keep it for non-baking salt needs, and keep table salt for baking and in a salt shaker for the table. Some baking specify kosher salt as well. It's also better on a baked potato skin while baking.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Size: large, easier to sprinkle with good control
Density: low, makes it harder to oversalt
Shape: high surface area, makes it more likely to sit on top of food instead of dissolving immediately. Benefits both taste as it hits your tongue directly, and texture when you want a tiny crunch.

Chefs loved the above, it became trendy, morphed into the default, so lots of recipes assume Kosher salt these days even when you're not pinching or finishing with it.

Maldon flake amps all of this up to 11, so it is definitely still in the "use mindfully" stage.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

torgeaux posted:

Kosher salt is popular not for the lack of iodine, but because in prepping steak, for example, it's shape/size makes it better. Table salt is always available with or without iodine. I keep it for non-baking salt needs, and keep table salt for baking and in a salt shaker for the table. Some baking specify kosher salt as well. It's also better on a baked potato skin while baking.

I'm basing this on some articles I read. There was some great packaging of Kosher Gourmet Salt on the basis it tasted better which was fun.

Iodinzed salt helped increased the IQs of 25% of the US population apparently in the decade following its introduction in 1924. That's a fun fact.

Has anyone studied this usage of salt at all? Like is it actually better or do we just think it's better? I use table salt and sea salt generally but can't say I've ever had trouble sprinkling salt.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Of course there have been studies. Osmosis is a pretty big loving deal.

I'd say id wet brine before doing a dry with table salt, but I normally dry brine with kosher.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Shooting Blanks posted:

My only issue with Diamond Crystal salt is that nobody in Houston seems to stock it. For all that people rave about it, it sure is difficult to get - and I'd feel weird ordering salt of Amazon.

HEB and Central Market both carry it pretty reliably. It's definitely easier to find Morton's but check your local Butt-related grocery store

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

MIL bought us a replacement crock pot to protect her grandkids from this 😱 plastic lid 😱 that we got from my wife's grandpa.

On one hand, plastic manufacture and disposal is definitely a scourge on the earth, some specific leechates are poison, etc. On the other hand, making new appliances is way worse for the world than using the same one for decades upon decades.

What do you think - I'll give away this crock pot in our fb local Buy Nothing unless the thread thinks I'm passing along poison.

Wife thinks early plastics were the wild west of anything goes. I think modern plastics are much more complex and thus have myriad compositions and manufacturing residues that skirt by on GRAS / "well nobody has proven any cancer yet".

It is 100% a moot point when my kid will encounter delitainers, toothbrush bristles, snack wrappers, and (when we can't help it) plastic water bottles and utensils hundreds of times more often than this crock pot. Just a topic of pedantry, my favorite pasttime

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would be worried about lead paint more than the plastic myself.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Very vintage look, someone should buy that from you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is there a particular food processor in the $100 range I should look for? I mostly cook for one so it doesn't need to be a 20 cup monstrosity, not sure what else I should pay attention to. I basically never make smoothies so a blender is probably less useful, it will be for things like tomatillo sauce, chimichurri, etc. where controlling texture can be important.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Even if you only usually cook for yourself, at least 8 cup food processor imo

E. I’d say 14 cup is really what you should save up for tho; buy once cry once

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 15, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
12 minimum I think

Batch cooking is great

And usually they come with a mini bowl for small jobs

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Brother Tadger posted:

Even if you only usually cook for yourself, at least 8 cup food processor imo

E. I’d say 14 cup is really what you should save up for tho; buy once cry once

I got a 14-cup one and tbh it’s pretty much goldilocks level as an individual. Rarely do I find myself getting below it’s minimum volume and it means when i do batch prep it scales up very well.

fwiw its the cuisinart one with two buttons (I think the model# depends on the market so not bothering looking up) and it has yet to let me down.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have the Kitchenaid mini prep ($50?) and a full size (14 cup) Cuisinart.

For the tasks you mentioned, for my family of 3, I use the mini prep almost exclusively. The big one only comes out when I really truly need the size or a special blade (eg shredding multiple blocks of cheese for a holiday-sized mac and cheese)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
If you're gonna do a mini do an immersion blender with accessories.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have the Kitchenaid mini prep ($50?) and a full size (14 cup) Cuisinart.

For the tasks you mentioned, for my family of 3, I use the mini prep almost exclusively. The big one only comes out when I really truly need the size or a special blade (eg shredding multiple blocks of cheese for a holiday-sized mac and cheese)

I have the mini prep too - vastly more used than a full size unit. (And also have the immersion blender with attachments - it isn't a direct replacement)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
What's a good air fryer? I have the 8 qt Instant pot duo with the air fryer attachment. I almost never use t he instant pot for anything other than buffalo wings, and it's very hard to get clean, I'm thinking if I get an actual air fryer it would be much easier to clean?

My main use would be buffalo wings.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

What's a good air fryer? I have the 8 qt Instant pot duo with the air fryer attachment. I almost never use t he instant pot for anything other than buffalo wings, and it's very hard to get clean, I'm thinking if I get an actual air fryer it would be much easier to clean?

My main use would be buffalo wings.

Air fryers are more annoying to clean than instant pots FYI because the louvres prevent easily scrubbing them, IMO.

I have a Cosori air fryer from Amazon and it's fine. They were recalled and we got a new one. I suspect the ones with the same size and same features are all going to perform very very very similar.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:wrong: the Ninja Foodi drawers have removable air circulation trays, the drawers and trays go in the dishwasher no problem. That's the only reason I bought it, it's so nice

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

:wrong: the Ninja Foodi drawers have removable air circulation trays, the drawers and trays go in the dishwasher no problem. That's the only reason I bought it, it's so nice

Yeah those things are also removable on the Cosori one and they also go in the dishwasher. The same is true for the instant pot stuff so that's the same, if you're hand washing the air fryer is more of a pain to hand wash.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can buy parchment paper air fryer liners. After that it’s basically just a hot wet paper towel. I still don’t like my air fryer because it doesn’t get hot enough to maillard or crisp, but at least it is easy to clean

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Air fryers will always get dirty as hell because the strong air current will fling oil droplets around. Especially the fan and heating element because there’s no easy way to clean those

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Those are up in the inside of mine so it’s none of my business

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I had a Cosori and liked it fine. The square basket was nice compared to the round one on my parents' Phillips.

I replaced it with a Breville mini convection oven and wish I had gotten the full sized one (despite not really having room for it) so that I could use my quarter sheet pans. The convection is nice, but it's noticeably less... convect-y... than the air fryer. I haven't made wings with it but probably will soon. For science. And for stuffing my face.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The ones that have a mechanical timer are funny because the timer will run even if the air fryer is unplugged. Which can lead to real disappointment.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have definitely had that issue many times with the toaster oven at my office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

(You would think an air fryer is loud enough I would notice it wasn’t running but I guess not.)