Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

gurragadon posted:

I don't think it's ever really stated but he could easily be a squatter. But like just refuse the gift. Or say you need to think about it. Or ask about the logistics but say thank you. If somebody gives you a house that you have been living in for several years you should accept it.

They were only living there still bc Asher and Whitney decided to pay the rent, otherwise they would have been evicted and made to find somewhere else to stay. I don't question accepting the gift, but it's like giving someone a puppy in that the gift is an ongoing obligation and responsibility. Dumping a lot of money on someone does not always end well for them either if they just sell immediately. Winning the lotto can often be cursed leaving the winner dead or more unhappy than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I wish I was burdened by being gifted 100k. Goons...

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I don’t recall these Q&A’s posted in the thread. They have been a great watch! A lot of great information on a lot of choices made during the creation of the show.

https://youtu.be/dMx_K5dBEqI?si=lgkUdC2JQtY1knkE

https://youtu.be/rdxLjYh8vyQ?si=nJj2d0P6j-p3ZMGI

https://youtu.be/xxcUaV-TFPg?si=N18rg0sZ_SOZjYyj

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Monglo posted:

I wish I was burdened by being gifted 100k. Goons...

I'm sure many of us would handle big gifts of money, suddenly owning the house the room you rent is in would lower your rent and give you an asset. It's like imagining winning the lotto, anyone can imagine how more money would improve their life. And still there are people who get such boons and get killed, robbed, shaken down, kill themselves, or end up just as poor as before.

The show is called The Curse and not Happy Ending so there's gonna be a spotlight on the less obvious cursed potentials of life-changing amounts of money.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

pretty rude of abshir to not know how much new mexicos property taxes are. he should've hugged the guy who is weirdly obsessed with his daughter, and made her watch him grip nails so hard he started bleeding. real rear end in a top hat move, abshir!

i think his skepticism and attitude towards them was totally appropriate. especially when its revealed that asher was recording the whole thing secretly.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also, Abshir hasn't really gotten anything yet except his spare key back - and a promise from his shifty landlords that the house is his. no paperwork has been lodged yet; the financial implications have not been considered; he asks if that's happening and receives assurances that it will.

the actual gift remains symbolic, a (badly) choreographed gift-giving ceremony that is designed to mean more to Ash and Whit.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

it follows then that Whitney is the most cursed character of all for being given a bunch of houses by her dad. the titular Curse was nepotism all along

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

also, Abshir hasn't really gotten anything yet except his spare key back - and a promise from his shifty landlords that the house is his. no paperwork has been lodged yet; the financial implications have not been considered; he asks if that's happening and receives assurances that it will.

the actual gift remains symbolic, a (badly) choreographed gift-giving ceremony that is designed to mean more to Ash and Whit.

Yeah, it's not really clear how things will shake out for him anyway since the show leaves the whole thing up in the air.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

If my incredibly weird and uncomfortable landlord, who had previously broken into my house and chased my young daughters down the street, suddenly showed up and said he was giving me ownership of the house I would assume it was some kind of scam.

I would probably assume the same thing if my actual landlord did that. Frankly, I would not want it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The paperwork situation is really left up in the air

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
if i gave someone a house and their immediate response was to ask about property taxes i would be a little put off

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Did I miss something or hadn't Abshir been living there for free for around year by the time Asher decided on the gift? Abshir is right to be skeptical, it's clear Asher and Whitney are condescending and self centered in their relationship with him and haven't thought through the logistics of his side at all, but as far as I remember they have made good on stuff like not charging rent and fixing the place up. If he were to decide the tax stuff was a more of a headache than it's worth he didn't have to sign the papers, tell the weirdos to screw off and move elsewhere.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

srypher posted:

if i gave someone a house and their immediate response was to ask about property taxes i would be a little put off

he doesn't make a lot of money! he's getting free food from his job, dude. of course he's concerned about how this could actually cost him money

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

studio mujahideen posted:

he doesn't make a lot of money! he's getting free food from his job, dude. of course he's concerned about how this could actually cost him money

yo did you see how gourmet those hot dogs were tho? I bet they were even All-Beef

in their last interaction together, Asher was still trying to turn Abshir into a prop by setting up a secret camera to film him receiving this moment of extremely Unsolicited Philanthropy. it was good that Abshir's response was basically "okay sure, whatever. give me money"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Why does the single father of two preteens living in poverty simply not move house away from the terrifying couple on whose largess he is dependent?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Scones are Good posted:

Did I miss something or hadn't Abshir been living there for free for around year by the time Asher decided on the gift? Abshir is right to be skeptical, it's clear Asher and Whitney are condescending and self centered in their relationship with him and haven't thought through the logistics of his side at all, but as far as I remember they have made good on stuff like not charging rent and fixing the place up. If he were to decide the tax stuff was a more of a headache than it's worth he didn't have to sign the papers, tell the weirdos to screw off and move elsewhere.

Yeah, when you take into account that he wasn’t paying any rent, owning the house isn’t necessarily an improvement because now he’s solely responsible for all of the costs and upkeep. Plus his first interaction with Asher was watching him give his daughter money and then steal it out of her hand, of course he’s going to be skeptical.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yeah, when you take into account that he wasn’t paying any rent, owning the house isn’t necessarily an improvement because now he’s solely responsible for all of the costs and upkeep. Plus his first interaction with Asher was watching him give his daughter money and then steal it out of her hand, of course he’s going to be skeptical.

Yeah, he's clearly the only one involved who actually has to think about any of this practically because for him it's for real, it's where he actually lives, and not just an exercise in assuaging guilty conscious/looking altrustistic like it is for Asher and Whitney.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Khanstant posted:

If Asher didn't get it all shaken out that day like he said Whitney is not giving Abshir that house.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Khanstant posted:

lmao

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Khanstant posted:

the sky's the limit for this kind of wordplay

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sivart13 posted:

The sky is the limit... but if anyone could see my pants... they would know that this guy... has... a limit?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If any goons want to give me a house and see if I'd be grateful, go right ahead.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sivart13 posted:

No it isn't, your head is in the clouds

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

how do you even write a finale like this? must have been high!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I did too good a job as a kid appearing grateful for a realtor who got all the kids a Chevron with techron toy car, and for years I got more of them as gifts and started getting them from other relatives who thought I really must've liked them since nobody else bothered to pretend to like it that first time they showed up.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

There's another meaning to the house gifting scene that I think everyone's missing. In reality shows, it's common to give people stuff. In those shows, the reaction are always intense and huge gestures of happiness and excitement. Those reactions are often goaded by producers with multiple takes being done the same way we see Dougie do it, or they're done by people who feel like they need to perform when in front of a camera.

Ash and whit are expecting the reality tv reaction and instead they get a real life one. It's a great gift, but it's also like getting a Rolex from someone you've been dating for a month.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lister posted:

There's another meaning to the house gifting scene that I think everyone's missing. In reality shows, it's common to give people stuff. In those shows, the reaction are always intense and huge gestures of happiness and excitement. Those reactions are often goaded by producers with multiple takes being done the same way we see Dougie do it, or they're done by people who feel like they need to perform when in front of a camera.

Ash and whit are expecting the reality tv reaction and instead they get a real life one. It's a great gift, but it's also like getting a Rolex from someone you've been dating for a month.

they even whip out one of their little pots from the show to bless the home at the end after they've given Abshir the key

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Dougie sobbing on the ground towards the end was amazing. Compound that suffering!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
"In some upside-down, topsy turvy world... what would it be like to be without Whitney?"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This was randomly in my YT recs but this kid's analysis of the cinematography is actually pretty interesting despite the crappy thumbnail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjxUxQZ3fgs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Monglo posted:

A barely ok vanity project by Fielder and Safdie. Tools call genius any slop given to them.

It’s better than this because they got Emma stone but you’re directionally right.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Couldn't help thinking about a recent existential cosmic horror film but naming it might be a bit of a spoiler to anyone yet to see it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

alf_pogs posted:

they even whip out one of their little pots from the show to bless the home at the end after they've given Abshir the key

They did mention they buy those pots in bulk for a discount, I wonder how many of those they actually have left over.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

studio mujahideen posted:

pretty rude of abshir to not know how much new mexicos property taxes are. he should've hugged the guy who is weirdly obsessed with his daughter, and made her watch him grip nails so hard he started bleeding. real rear end in a top hat move, abshir!

i think his skepticism and attitude towards them was totally appropriate. especially when its revealed that asher was recording the whole thing secretly.

It lines up perfectly to the parking lot dollar exchange in the first episode.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lister posted:

When I worked at a grocery store, a female cashier received a greeting card from a customer that just happened to have $500 in it. While winning $500 on a scratch ticket or otherwise no strings attached would be great, having to deal with that customer and however he may feel he can now act because of this big "gift" might feel very awkward for the cashier. And this is just some cash, not even an especially large amount in the grand scheme of things.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yes, giving someone a house is objectively a good gift. WHY Abshir reacted the way he did is beside the point of the scene, though. Showing up unannounced, secretly filming, and dumping a huge surprise gift on someone that already doesn't trust you is a terrible idea. The audience could see that coming, but Asher and Whitney couldn't. The entire show is focusing on their their white savior complex. They don't understand Abshir and how to help him, just like they don't understand the community and how to help it. If your takeaway from the scene is "well, I would have been grateful!" then you've missed that point.

Reflecting on the show as a whole has made me like the interpretation that the ending is mostly about the community coming to Asher's aid, only to ignore his pleas and end up doing more harm than good because they don't understand the situation he's in. It's almost too perfect, though I do struggle to reconcile how Whitney fits into the ending.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I really appreciate this show's depiction of how the structure of society distances people from each other and totally eliminates communities. Everybody is hurting and in need, and nobody can help anyone else without it becoming a hustle because there's no other way to keep your head above water. Even Asher's devotion to Whitney creates a power imbalance - whether he's consciously taking advantage of her or not, he's forcing a dynamic where she's indebted to him because he's that desperate to have someone need him for anything.

edit: also, it's really funny that absolutely nothing about this episode, either the title or the first half, presages that it's going to end with one of the more harrowing TV deaths. The switch from the absolute mundanity of them being ignored by Rachel Ray to Asher begging for his life as, presumably, he starts to freeze to death or his blood boils or whatever happens to you in the upper atmosphere is bonkers. It's like if the finale of Mad Men had Pete die in Nutty Putty Cave.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 15, 2024

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Suffocation

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

It lines up perfectly to the parking lot dollar exchange in the first episode.

Now that I'm thinking about it again, you could call that Indian gift giving. I feel like that's got to be on purpose.

Even something like the ATM scene indicates more than it seemed at first with the series over. Asher ultimately doesn't trust the community they're in, despite acting so much like they want to help it. It's the same distrust the neighbor has about his packages being stolen. It's the same distrust that Whitney's dad has about tenants possibly ripping out appliances and selling them. Now maybe Asher does make a change to try and be better by the end, but it also seems like that's only because he thinks it makes Whitney happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Lister posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it again, you could call that Indian gift giving. I feel like that's got to be on purpose.

in the same way, we were “gypped” of an explanation for why asher was on the ceiling (gypsum being a primary constituent of plaster and drywall). theres meaning in everything.