Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Tolth posted:

I wonder how many people finally gave up on 3.5 because of the Owlcat games. I'd been a holdout for at least a decade, but then I did the Playful Darkness fight and I was finally able to process that 3.5 doesn't need to be run ever again. It really helped me to move on

I enjoyed kingmaker and Wrath, but it really cemented that I never want to play 3.x ever again. Especially in person. The extremely bad npc builds perfectly replicated my experience carrying other people's poo poo builds in pen and paper games. The buffing was less obnoxious than pen and paper because the computer tracked everything (and adjusted automatically when someone casts dispel!) yet was still annoying busy work. Encounter design felt like one of the GMs I played with back in the day. The really nailed the entire experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Yup. Kingmaker and especially Wrath showed the world what the mixmax boards knew for years. The extreme version of 3.5 that doesn’t include real degenerate stuff with 3D movement or pocket dimension nonsense: Insane number rocket tag that requires layers and layers of defense to even show up.

And rogue trader makes me want to go back to it.

I was talking it out with my wife last night and I think I was a little harsh. It still deserves the 6/10 because of the mechanics and bugs but the story really did rip

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
I still like 3.5 for the sheer amount of options available to the player. Sure there are a metric ton of build traps, but I was able to play through Kingmaker, two runs of Wrath, and the roguelite mode of Midnight Isles without just making the same builds over and over again. You can be creative, and on Core and below you have the freedom to be creative without playing the never-ending buff roulette.

By comparison doing anything differently in BG3 runs requires knowing where all the magic items are, because they have far more impact on your characters than what you choose when leveling up. If I started a third run of BG3, every character would end up a carbon copy of one I've played before.

Rogue Trader had a middle-ground of options when it came to build crunch, but it really felt like there were objectively correct and incorrect choices. You're not picking talents that are thematic or offer utility, you're just picking everything that facilitates killing enemies as fast as possible, or (as we've seen from players in this thread) you're gonna have a bad time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Preechr posted:

Oh good, it’s not just me. Before 2 patches ago it was fine for me but on this playthrough I can only tell him to gently caress off, to which he responds lol no and sends you on your way regardless.

So is it just a meaningless But Thou Must or does it have plot impacts?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

The Lone Badger posted:

So is it just a meaningless But Thou Must or does it have plot impacts?

I think it’s just flavor; eufrates is a mandatory event.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Preechr posted:

I think it’s just flavor; eufrates is a mandatory event.

But did he try to murder you later at a time when otherwise he would not have etc?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

But did he try to murder you later at a time when otherwise he would not have etc?

The end of the game plays out the same way, with the exception of when you go through the Necron gate; if you were friends with him, the Inquisiton lets you pass. If you were not, you have to fight them.

It's stupid.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

pathfinder builds arent interesting at all. theres hundreds of options but they all play pretty much the same and almost nothing forces you to switch things up. in this game ive managed to make every character extremely bullshit in their own way even if the arch militants are the best and theres plenty of fights even in the endgame where i at least have to think about how to use the arch militants effectively

i'll say that a lot of this is less because of 3.5 issues and more because the encounter design in the owlcat pathfinder games is so bad

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 15, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you want to fully minmax have a custom pyrokinetic archmilitant, Cassia, Jae, and three custom Officers. One of which is a commissar, one a biokinetic and the third a sanctic.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Sailed through the prologue, love the voice work, bit bored with the trope that every single loving CRPG protagonist has to have visions and/or a voice in their head or some other malign influence. Decided to rack up the difficulty just one more tiny notch before I go into the first encounter where this happens: Turn one Idira uses her lightning staff and replaces herself with a bloodthirster. The bloodthirster gets buffed by the non-chaos-themed street scum that attacks me and is allied to them. :dogstare:

I mean, sure, the chance of bad poo poo happening to psykers is accurate to the lore and to the game's P&P source material. And I probably got somewhat unlucky to have my first experience with that mechanic in this particular way. But with how many people do play the game, something like that has to happen to quite a few, and I what it seems to teach to them is "if you want to use this cool character in your party, better not use some of her abilities or sometimes you'll just randomly game over."

That being said, the game is very atmospheric, the sound and the visuals are a delight! Maybe I should just put it back on a medium difficulty, auto-attack my way through and enjoy the vibes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

KM/Wrath have so many interesting builds compared to the mess in this game. The absolute best builds in those games tend to focus on splashing a couple of classes, but you can still make perfectly viable on Hard builds using almost anything. The variety is fun and insane.

Here we get almost nothing. Basically, just picking whether you want Cassie, a warrior (Abelard), or a burst fire soldier (Argenta) soaking up your extra turns and murdering everything. There isn't a lot of interesting choices within those builds because you get so many talents you can basically grab anything useful. It also sucks that many interesting talents are locked to backgrounds the player can't pick so you don't have a lot of room for player builds on replays. The most boring combat and character building they've ever made imo.

I was still really enjoying the story, space combat, and vibe of the game before my save borked. I can't progress because no matter what I do when back-to-back cutscenes trigger the first one locks my character to their chair even after it ends and the one that follows doesn't trigger properly because of that. I have a bunch of people just standing around my office desk and my character can move around still locked into the sitting animation (it does look pretty funny). Talking to people, moving in and out, triggering things via toybox, nothing seems to get it to progress. Hopefully there will be a patch soon :shrug:

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Griddle of Love posted:

Sailed through the prologue, love the voice work, bit bored with the trope that every single loving CRPG protagonist has to have visions and/or a voice in their head or some other malign influence.

to be fair malign influence of Warp is bread and butter of 40k and arguably one of "otherwordly poo poo messing with your head" trope codifiers

quote:

KM/Wrath have so many interesting builds compared to the mess in this game.

And half of them being different flavour of "dip 1 level in vivisectionist"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

yeah so many of them are just splash these few classes and the end result is your ac is a few points higher. who cares

also i could easily get through this game without burst fire

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The difference between a madly-ramping Argenta and a madly-ramping Idira is that sometimes Idira explodes and the officer actions you’ve spent ramping her up are wasted.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

if you like making builds and not just taking tedious poo poo from neoseeker you can also just not use vivisectionist/scaled fist/whatever as there are no shortage of class alternatives. The whole fun part of builds is finding some weird combo that still works on Hard and not just skipping directly to whatever is the current most OP option. That's why the important part of balance in a single player game is not whether there exists an OP option, but if other options are still viable. Especially in Wrath with the interactions of Mythic paths you can make any character concept work.

RT just doesn't have the breadth in its character builds to offer many alternatives. In some ways RT has about the same variety as new Xcom 2 it just makes you click through a hundred talents to get there instead of a small number of clear decisions. Probably less when you add WoTC.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Just finished the game without minmaxing my Rogue Trader. Gonna do a new campaign with a down the line Heretic and really pay attention to my build. Any build guides y'all would recommend?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i havent played xcom2 much but even xcom1 has more variety than pathfinder when it comes to how things actually play in practice

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Anyone who thinks splashing a level of Vivisectionist is at all required for any reasonable difficulty needs to get off the minmax build boards for a while(and realistically it's not somehow mandatory for Unfair either). Is it an incredibly powerful one level dip? Absolutely. But decently built physical classes are perfectly fine without it, and casters don't want it to begin with.

Whining about limited build variety because all the minmaxed builds use that dip (and they don't anyways) is an issue with obsessing over uber optimization, not the build variety you can completely reasonably finish the game with.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Pershing posted:

Just finished the game without minmaxing my Rogue Trader. Gonna do a new campaign with a down the line Heretic and really pay attention to my build. Any build guides y'all would recommend?
Having just breezed through the game on hard mode, all you need is a soldier/arch-militant, an officer/sanctioned psyker, and Cassia:

Take the obvious on the merc you make to replace Argenta (seriously, if you take her on missions she will interfere with your heretical decisions and you can't stop her).

On the psyker take Sanctic (cast Word of the Emperor and Hammer of the Emperor as often as possible), Telepath (for Pain Channeling and Aftershock), Bring it Down, and Pyro (just for Backdraft). Put everything else into origin perks and Master Tactician. Their primary weapon should be a bolt staff.

Load Cassia up with Navigator powers and talents, only straying to grab Bring it Down, Commanding Voice, and the ridiculous Master Tactician perks.

Also No Respite. Put No Respite on every character that can take it. By the end you should be seeing stupid numbers like these.

Note that those are collateral damage numbers, how hard you'll be hitting guys you aren't even targeting. The rest of your squad might as well be meatshields.

Lord Koth posted:

Whining about limited build variety because all the minmaxed builds use that dip (and they don't anyways) is an issue with obsessing over uber optimization, not the build variety you can completely reasonably finish the game with.
Yeah, people seem to have this weird idea that being a munchkin is necessary to play Pathfinder, and it just isn't (it's not even fun). Same with prebuffing. You can beat core without a single unbalanced class or a single buff spell, it's not a hard game unless you go out of your way to crank up the difficulty.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Gainsboro posted:

Same with prebuffing. You can beat core without a single unbalanced class or a single buff spell, it's not a hard game unless you go out of your way to crank up the difficulty.

I dont see how this is remotely possible. There are so many must have buffs in that game. Like you are literally never going to hit anything and youll die to every single hosed up spell out there

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

babypolis posted:

There are so many must have buffs in that game.
You're going to have to name a few because I can't name a single one, and I've sunk over 400 hours in the Owlcat PF games.
Edit: Upon revisiting my WotR screenshots, I see that I have made seldom use of Enlarge and Bless, but in 95% of them it's just passives.

babypolis posted:

Like you are literally never going to hit anything and youll die to every single hosed up spell out there
Not on Core or below, and especially not in Wrath with all the Mythic poo poo they throw at you.

Gainsboro fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 15, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

babypolis posted:

I dont see how this is remotely possible. There are so many must have buffs in that game. Like you are literally never going to hit anything and youll die to every single hosed up spell out there

you just have to build around not using them. The OP neoseeker builds absolutely rely on layered buffs, but there are alternatives. They give up defensives to focus on mostly offensive feats and rely on buffs and dips to make up for it. You can make reasonably armored characters who can complete the game on Hard, but not ones who can compete with the ultra munchkin buff builds abstractly. You can replace buffs with certain feats, but you are giving up elsewhere to fit them in. The one exception is Touch AC goofiness in KM which can really limit the build space near the end, but there isn't anything like that in Wrath.

Unfair is on an entirely different level that should almost be called a different game mode. It's specifically built to challenge the mega OP and is far more difficult than most crpgs can become without mods. Even for achievement hunters almost all of the difficulty achievements just require Core and if you are trying to 100% achievo an Owlcat game you are already kinda crazy.

Wrath offers a reasonable alternative to the tedium of buffs with the mythic feats that can make buffs 24 hours. You'll give up combat power to do it, but it's a compromise. Some of the mythic paths also offer all in one buff spells so especially an angel path player is just casting a single spell.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Gainsboro posted:

You're going to have to name a few because I can't name a single one, and I've sunk over 400 hours in the Owlcat PF games.
Edit: Upon revisiting my WotR screenshots, I see that I have made seldom use of Enlarge and Bless, but in 95% of them it's just passives.

Not on Core or below, and especially not in Wrath with all the Mythic poo poo they throw at you.

its been a while but not having stuff like death ward on at all times sounds like a nightmare. Like I dont doubt you can get tru the game without them but I just dont see how you arent massively nerfing yourself in the Pathfinder games by not using buffs

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
all this "well actually you don't need X" still implies complete system mastery of the PF system and more importantly the specific way it was implemented in the Owlcat games including the itemization.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I simply do not believe you can beat an Owlcat Pathfinder game on Core or higher without buffs.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 15, 2024

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

pentyne posted:

still implies complete system mastery of the PF system
It's a D20 system, it's not that complicated. It's weird to make it a subject of criticism at all compared to relative nightmare systems like Infinity Engine AD&D and whatever Pillars was built on. I can count the number of RTwP CRPGs that don't feel like complete rear end on one hand.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gainsboro posted:

It's a D20 system, it's not that complicated. It's weird to make it a subject of criticism at all compared to relative nightmare systems like Infinity Engine AD&D and whatever Pillars was built on. I can count the number of RTwP CRPGs that don't feel like complete rear end on one hand.

calling Pathfinder "not that complicated" is extremely disingenuous including calling Pillars a nightmare system which is vastly simpler and more user friendly then anything Owlcat has made

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Yeah for better or for worse you have to actively try to make a build in Pillars 1 or 2 that sucks. The way stats work you can make almost any class fit into almost any role.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Janissary Hop posted:

I simply do not believe you can beat an Owlcat Pathfinder game on Core or higher without buffs.

:emptyquote:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

once again it goes back to the lousy encounter design. look at dimension door for example. any tabletop build guide rates that spell highly, and teleporting is extremely useful in any other rpg. but it rarely sees any use in the owlcat games. thats because every fight is on a flat field with interchangeable enemies who all have high saves in everything. the result is that the only thing that matters is increasing your attack bonus and spell dc as much as possible which means that whatever build choices you make, theres not much variety in how they play

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

once again it goes back to the lousy encounter design. look at dimension door for example. any tabletop build guide rates that spell highly, and teleporting is extremely useful in any other rpg. but it rarely sees any use in the owlcat games. thats because every fight is on a flat field with interchangeable enemies who all have high saves in everything. the result is that the only thing that matters is increasing your attack bonus and spell dc as much as possible which means that whatever build choices you make, theres not much variety in how they play

That's one of the (many) reasons why I find Rogue Trader combat much more fun. You have a bunch of trash enemies sprinkled among more distinct thread which makes the encounters much more interesting to handle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In DOS2 teleport abilities are common and highly valued.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

In DOS2 teleport abilities are common and highly valued.

That's because DOS2 is a good rear end game.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

I would love to see someone make it though the ten thousand screaming zapping skulls of kingmaker without protection from energy or the wotr swarms of mind control bugs without a buff that helps prevent mind control on anyone.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

DImension door is extremely useful and anyone who does not abuse it makes life harder for themselves OR has a proper set-up to kill everything with Weird/Deadly Earth/Sirocco etc(. But the latter takes longer to come together than DD access.
It even works when it triggers cutscene fights, since it starts from the place you teleported instead of where it walks you in. Many fighst people complained about become much easier with DD.

Long story short, even with cheese they read about online, many people play suboptimally

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Janissary Hop posted:

Yeah no poo poo, but what kind of moron raises the difficulty and then whines that the game expects them to play it perfectly? There's a slider just for lowering enemy stats independently of the other difficulty settings. It's a single player game, no one is going to witness your shame at configuring it to your comfort level.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Pillars has a system that is easier to make a competent build, but really digging into it has confusing elements. I’d never touched PF before KM but being well grounded in dnd 3.5 it was nbd to adjust.

I wish Sawyer would’ve had the freedom to just come up with whatever system he wanted. The need to make it sufficiently recognizable to dnd kickstarter expectations ends up being more confusing than an original system. There are oddball intersections between roleplay and mechanics from the laudable goal of making all six attributes applicable to all classes. Something unfettered would’ve been better.

RT lacks the flexibility of PF or Pillars anyway. Like I would imagine every Cassie build looks pretty similar, because you get enough talent points to take every single background talent. There’s some flex on which 2nd class choice you take and how much you want to lean into it, but your bread and butter is the same. There just aren’t a lot of options even if you ignore the optimal choices.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think it's worth bearing in mind that the DLC's are expected to add quite a few new archetypes. Given how the class system works in this game, adding more base archetypes and giving all the current ones additional options for advanced archetypes is a significant increase in how many options and combinations are available.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And odds are Owlcat's probably going to rebalance existing archetypes and classes, so there's that as well; Warrior/AM and Soldier/AM are so unbalanced the nerfhammer is probably inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Griddle of Love posted:

Sailed through the prologue, love the voice work, bit bored with the trope that every single loving CRPG protagonist has to have visions and/or a voice in their head or some other malign influence.

Funny thing: If you immediately give in to Kunrad you won't get that minor daemon put into you. And if you choose the dogmatic option at the burning bridge, Big E will fry the little poo poo.