Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/01/14/fani-willis-georgia-trump/

Oooooooof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That's certainly a response.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
That's... not good.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That’s like a parody of a bad response! Holy poo poo.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Yikes, what the hell was she talking about? She was just rambling. Will this effect the trial set for this summer? Will the trial even happen?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this was part of her address to a church congregation as part of a service, so the context sort of makes sense, but yeah not the most reassuring public statement

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

this was part of her address to a church congregation as part of a service, so the context sort of makes sense, but yeah not the most reassuring public statement

The article fills in more details about what she was saying. It seems like more of a general commentary on the pressures and stress of dealing with a high-profile case and trying to live up to everyone's expectations. She wasn't specifically addressing the accusations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Deteriorata posted:

The article fills in more details about what she was saying. It seems like more of a general commentary on the pressures and stress of dealing with a high-profile case and trying to live up to everyone's expectations. She wasn't specifically addressing the accusations.

It's a quote that can be used into perpetuity. Context doesn't matter.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

I figured when she didn’t immediately come out denying it that it was probably true. Sounds like that’s the case.

Just the worst possible decision making, totally tanking one of the most important cases in the country. If she benefited off of this at all I hope they prosecute and throw her rear end in jail

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's a quote that can be used into perpetuity. Context doesn't matter.

She isn't really a political figure though? Yeah Republicans will throw poo poo fits over the optics, but they'd do that anyways.

The whole situation is really binary. She either did the poo poo she is accused of and the judge borks the whole case by throwing it to some DA with trump ties or she didn't do it/the judge doesn't care.

The one advantage of this actually (finally) ending up in the courts is that optics matter less than facts.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I wonder how Aileen Cannon will help Trump even more this year. This one drives me nuts because he clearly had those classified records in his bathroom, yet she will find a way to delay the trial. I was hoping at least 1 trial would happen this year, but I'm not sure now.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Caros posted:

She isn't really a political figure though?

She's the district attorney of the largest county in Georgia, prosecuting a case against a former president of the united states.

How could she be more of a political figure?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So GA's dead in the water, FL's going to get delayed into oblivion, NY's going to get lost in the appeal process, even if Carroll takes him to the woodshed again it won't be a huge number.

Looks like ol' Trump's wriggled out of yet another one en route back to the White House. Who woulda thunk it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

C. Everett Koop posted:

So GA's dead in the water, FL's going to get delayed into oblivion, NY's going to get lost in the appeal process, even if Carroll takes him to the woodshed again it won't be a huge number.

Looks like ol' Trump's wriggled out of yet another one en route back to the White House. Who woulda thunk it.

pretty sure GA will be fine and NY is fine too.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Way would you even think that? There's been no sign whatsoever that the NY case is any danger.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

C. Everett Koop posted:

And the DC case?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lmao the morons that took plea deals in georgia already.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

C. Everett Koop posted:

So GA's dead in the water...
Why worry about that when the universe is eventually either going to collapse in on itself or turn into evenly dispersed cold gas? (while we're getting ahead of ourselves)

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Artificial Kid posted:

I’ve never understood why the answer should be no. The framers don’t seem like they thought the president was better than other people. The corollary of the “no” position is that the congress and senate can de facto allow the president to shoot someone on fifth avenue and get away with it.

Edit - I mean “president in jail” seems like a good reason for one of the other people explicitly lined up as substitute presidents to do the job.

Pretty simple. The Framers valued democracy—a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state—above the whims of a fallible justice system. If the majority of the American populace decides that they want to elect a convict to public office, who are you to tell them “no”?

Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

The Top G posted:

Pretty simple. The Framers valued democracy—a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state—above the whims of a fallible justice system. If the majority of the American populace decides that they want to elect a convict to public office, who are you to tell them “no”?

Vox Populi, Vox Dei
Did they put that in the constitution somewhere?

Edit - do you accept that felons should be able to vote?

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 15, 2024

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

The Top G posted:

Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Are you being sarcastic? This is the literal opposite of what they believed.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Cimber posted:

Doing a bit of poking around on google, it seems that

A: He has six months from the time he announces his intent to appeal to actually file the paperwork and I'm assuming issue the bond:

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad4/Clerk/perfecting/

If he does not do all this within six months he will not be able to appeal any further

That 6 months looks to have an "unless the court has directed" and given that at least in the Carrol case he's been convicted once already and is being tried again for defamation I cannot see a judge going "hmmm ok let's give him six months to see what happens".

Same for Engoron, the judgement is already there so it's just damages so either he pays up or files an appeal but why give him six months for that? He's pissed the judge off already and if he's innocent he should file one immediately, he's a billionaire so he can pay the bond I'm sure!

e:

quote:

(a) provide that, except where the Court has directed that an appeal be perfected by a particular time, a civil appeal must be perfected within six months from the date of the notice of appeal or the appeal is deemed abandoned and dismissed.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 15, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

JohnClark posted:

She's the district attorney of the largest county in Georgia, prosecuting a case against a former president of the united states.

How could she be more of a political figure?

By being an actual politician?

Yes her position is elected (loving why?!) but she isn't going to be up for election before this resolves one way or the other.

My point was that this isn't a case where the optics ultimately matter, just the law. Buttery Emails was damaging because that issue was ultimately settled by vote, while this one will be settled in court.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It just continues to be a news vacuum until the judge in the case actually says anything.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

PainterofCrap posted:

He has no money of his own. His only source for loans was Deutsche Bank, and there's waaaay too much light shining on TRump & the banks at the moment.

He was persona non grata to US banks in the 80s and 90s, and my (entirely unsubstantiated) hypothesis is that it was only the rise of the oligarchs in Russia that saved his rear end and got him cash flow since real estate transactions (especially New York City) are a relatively low-risk way to launder large sums of money, and whatever else, Trump knew enough (smart people & shady lawyers) to make that happen. Deutsche Bank was up to their eyebrows in these schemes.

I think there are still bombshells in there to yet be revealed.

Its not entirely unsubstantiated the owners of many Trump towers and Trump whatevers are Russian businessmen with close ties to organised crime, the Russian government or both. The book Putin's people has an entirr chapter dedicated to documenting Russian businessmen using Trump akin to how they use Swiss and Austrian private members banks and companies that don't seem to exist or do anything.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Its not six months, it's on notice. https://courtbondnow.com/appeal-bonds/when-are-appeal-bonds-filed-and-stays-go-into-effect/

quote:

in New York and New Jersey, there’s what’s called “no safe days,” which means that once a judgment is entered, the other side can execute the judgment — unless it’s bonded and there is a notice of appeal filed. A notice of appeal and a bond need to be filed because the bond is pursuant to an area of law, so if only one or the other is filed, there is no stay. In New York state, CPLR 5519 grants an automatic stay, which goes into effect once both the bond and notice of appeal are filed.

There is no safe harbor, while he has 30 days notice of appeal the order is not stayed by that alone. So effectively his deadline is immediately, depending on what assets the state decides to seize and how fast they can get that process moving.

E: Or a court can order a stay when he files the appeal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baka-nin posted:

Its not entirely unsubstantiated the owners of many Trump towers and Trump whatevers are Russian businessmen with close ties to organised crime, the Russian government or both. The book Putin's people has an entirr chapter dedicated to documenting Russian businessmen using Trump akin to how they use Swiss and Austrian private members banks and companies that don't seem to exist or do anything.

Don Jr openly stated most of their assets were tied to Russian benefactors back in 2008 https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-jr-said-money-pouring-in-from-russia-2018-2?r=US&IR=T

Meanwhile members of the Russian mafia were headquartered three floors below Trump's penthouse in Trump Tower a decade ago https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...v-a7642851.html

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Artificial Kid posted:

I’ve never understood why the answer should be no. The framers don’t seem like they thought the president was better than other people. The corollary of the “no” position is that the congress and senate can de facto allow the president to shoot someone on fifth avenue and get away with it.

Edit - I mean “president in jail” seems like a good reason for one of the other people explicitly lined up as substitute presidents to do the job.

Probably the same reason that members of Congress can't be arrested on some charges while attending Congress or traveling to or from Congress: arresting the legitimately elected representative of the people hurts the electorate that person represents, not just the politician themselves, and there's even the possibility of politically-motivated prosecutions being used to temporarily prevent a legislator from attending important votes on a particular issue.

The Constitution doesn't explicitly provide for presidential immunity, but the courts have established some level of it all on their own. Though the caselaw is a complex and tangled mess, as court after court struggled to balance the need to protect the political system from excessive judicial interventions with the need to leave openings for "but what if the president does something really bad?".

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Fell Fire posted:

Are you being sarcastic? This is the literal opposite of what they believed.

I believe The Top G:s shtick is dropping into random threads to drop random trolls.

But I actually believe that the USSC could come out with that decision. Even though it's not true and they have absolutely used the opposite logic in the past.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Caros posted:

Yes her position is elected (loving why?!) but she isn't going to be up for election before this resolves one way or the other.

My point was that this isn't a case where the optics ultimately matter, just the law. Buttery Emails was damaging because that issue was ultimately settled by vote, while this one will be settled in court.

The attorney general concentrates the peoples power to bring lawsuits directly under the law. While private persons must establish standing, standing for the attorney general is presumed, the attorney general must only demonstrate a reasonable case exists under the law, typically through a grand jury. This is in contrast to the original common law's open standing, where anyone could prosecute a criminal case*. Having the attorney general indirectly elected or appointed subjects it to party pressure, though in effect the party system has hollowed out direct elections too.

Note this is a hybrid with the crown prosecutors, being a position the republic has no basis for. Mostly it's just to keep court dockets from having to consider a billion nothing lawsuits from random people with dashcam footage of illegal merges.

*Terms and conditions apply. who actually can appear before the court changes as solicitors and barristers become real professions.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Caros posted:

I just have to be direct here I guess; she absolutely is a politician. She's elected to office, and her decisions do a great deal to determine how the lives of the people who elect her unfold. If that's not a politician, again, I don't know what is.

As for why this matters, just look at what DeSantis did to some of the DAs in Florida. A douchebag who's widely viewed as a RINO like Brian Kemp could easily look at these facts and decide he can score some points by loving with her/removing her entirely. I don't know how much Georgie law empowers him to do so, but if it does the chance that he will is much higher now.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
All we need is Willis to become the subject of a GA State legislature witchhunt/impeachment inquiry. Doesn't matter if she did or did not gently caress that guy who may or may not be married. What matters is that this will suddenly get tarnished and ran through the gutter and juries hear this poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Joe Tacopina out of Trum's defense team in NYC

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/15/us/politics/tacopina-trump-lawyer.html

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

JohnClark posted:

I just have to be direct here I guess; she absolutely is a politician. She's elected to office, and her decisions do a great deal to determine how the lives of the people who elect her unfold. If that's not a politician, again, I don't know what is.

As for why this matters, just look at what DeSantis did to some of the DAs in Florida. A douchebag who's widely viewed as a RINO like Brian Kemp could easily look at these facts and decide he can score some points by loving with her/removing her entirely. I don't know how much Georgie law empowers him to do so, but if it does the chance that he will is much higher now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one the ironies in this whole saga is that Trump can't be confident in Republican Party support in Georgia because his shenanigans directly cost the Georgia Republican party two(?) Senate seats? And I thought Kemp himself hates Trump and might not piss on him even if he was on fire.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nervous posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one the ironies in this whole saga is that Trump can't be confident in Republican Party support in Georgia because his shenanigans directly cost the Georgia Republican party two(?) Senate seats? And I thought Kemp himself hates Trump and might not piss on him even if he was on fire.

The party leaders and apparatus may want to ditch and/or get back at him, but the voters overwhelmingly support him and there's only so much the party can do to buck its base

And if the nevertrumpers leave the party, that will just lead to them getting replaced with alwaystrumpers and Georgia gets that much worse

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 46 hours!)

Adios, Joe Tapioca

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

haveblue posted:

The party leaders and apparatus may want to ditch and/or get back at him, but the voters overwhelmingly support him and there's only so much the party can do to buck its base

And if the nevertrumpers leave the party, that will just lead to them getting replaced with alwaystrumpers and Georgia gets that much worse
Are you talking about Georgia GOP voters? Because the entire court case we are discussing here is about how Trump lost Georgia in the 2020 election how Trump and co. conspired illegally to overturn his electoral loss in Georgia. A lot of those illegal conspiracies involved threatening/pressuring Republicans in the Georgia government such as Brian Kemp.

Since Trump was declared the loser in Georgia, two Democrats took statewide elected Senate seats away from the GOP (Warnock won two separate elections, a special election against the Trump-endorsed Kelly Loeffler in 2021, and then a wider victory over the Trump-endorsed Herschel Walker, Jon Ossoff just the one against David Perdue), and Brian Kemp, shitbag that he generally is, defeated Stacey Abrams in a 2018 rematch in 2022 by a wider margin.

Kemp was full-on endorsed by Trump in 2018, but by 2022 Trump and company had spent a year calling for his resignation and/or imprisonment, and Trump jokingly endorsed Stacey Abrams over Kemp at rallies and supported Purdue trying to primary Kemp out of the gubernatorial race.

I'm not really sure how any of this reflects the overwhelming majority of Georgia voters loving Trump? Or Kemp having any sense of obligation to buddy up with Trump/Trump voters. Kemp is also term-limited from running in 2026.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 15, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not all of Georgia voters, no, but all of Georgia’s republican voters. I should have been clearer, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

haveblue posted:

Not all of Georgia voters, no, but all of Georgia’s republican voters. I should have been clearer, sorry
Even then, Kemp (who was allowing the currently unfolding RICO case to proceed and getting hammered by Trump in speeches) won by a wider margin than he did in 2022, outperformed Trump-backed Hershel Walker, and in the last information from last summer (a few weeks before the RICO case was actually filed and in the midst of another round of Trump, MTG, and others attacking Kemp) shows him having a statewide 60% approval rating. If Republican voters in GA were overwhelmingly ride-or-die MAGA I don't think any of this would be the case? Too many of them are, but not enough to beat Warnock (or Kemp) in their last elections.

To be clear, Kemp is an absolute ghoul and him callowly reversing course would not shock me. He's still a Republican politician in 2024. But I also don't think him kissing the ring is a fait acompli.