Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

TheMuffinMan posted:

“Water pipes offer a largely untapped source of renewable electricity that could provide 1.4 gigawatts of power in the US alone."

drat, I won't be able to take advantage of this--my apartment's water is tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

piL posted:

drat, I won't be able to take advantage of this--my apartment's water is tap.
:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxIyDvd7QQ0

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Electric Wrigglies posted:

just imagine if Germany utilised its wealth, technical and industrial base to install low carbon generation three decades ago, might have g/kwhr numbers approaching those of anti-green French. Saying they are doing better with wind and solar given their location and circumstances is missing the wood (pellets heh) for the trees. And a lot of the hate on Germany is not just because they are all NIMBY on nuclear now, it is because they are also generally the preachiest of EU nations on what other nations should do up to and including opposing counting nuclear as the low carbon generation that it is (mainly because one of the big arguments against nuclear is that it is too expensive and doesn't work all the while France has been running reasonably economical-price, low-carbon power since the '70's for the majority of their grid).

Yes that sure would have been amazing, but we didn't due to having lovely coal and gas industry controlled conservatives in power for decades, some of which are close personal friends to putin.

Doesn't change the fact that renewable production increases have led to significant reductions in emissions, and continue to do so while other countries in the EU and outside are either not doing anything or are increasing theirs.

The energy policy of Germany has been poo poo awful, that has nothing to do with replacing fossile and fissile sources with renewables tjo, but with awful, awful political decisions. The current developments are still good tho.

GABA ghoul posted:

Seeing how almost every commercial and residential building around me is now hastily slapping PV modules on their roof makes me wonder how much that affects official power consumption statistics. I assume to grid operators the installation of the modules would seem like a simple decrease in demand from factories and office buildings and they don't have access to anything more detailed than what capacity was installed.

Yeah it usually just gets registered at the Marktstammdatenregister in case of small scale balcony or rooftop PV up to 25 kWp, after that you need to enable grid shut-off control which includes a meter that provides 15 minute data to the grid operator. So those definitely get counted, below that the electricity just kinda goes into the grid and yes, just gets counted as reduced consumption.

Overall since everything is registered in a central register and grid operators therefore know the rough production capacity at any time and location, they can approximate how much is produced depending on weather data and consumption profiles.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*significantly reduces emissions by building out renewable energy*

*offsets a big fraction of that reduction by shutting down all of the nuclear power*

Look at the reduction in emissions!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

QuarkJets posted:

*offsets a big fraction of that reduction by shutting down all of the nuclear power*

And now every actor in German politics is satisfied with the current level of nuclear power. Even the greens.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

VictualSquid posted:

And now every actor in German politics is satisfied with the current level of nuclear power. Even the greens.

Isn't that a problem?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't that a problem?
Not for them!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Been said a dozen times in this thread, been refuted a dozen times in this thread, and continues to be false.

As a challenge, point out when nuclear power plants were turned off based on this chart:

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 14, 2024

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

DTurtle posted:

Been said a dozen times in this thread, been refuted a dozen times in this thread, and continues to be false.

As a challenge, point out when nuclear power plants were turned off based on this chart:

Isn't France like 50-60 g/kWh?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DTurtle posted:

Carbon emissions would be even lower if the nuclear power hadn't been turned off, that chart does not dispute this fact

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Carbon emissions would be even lower if the nuclear power hadn't been turned off, that chart does not dispute this fact

No, not as much as you imply. A lot of the plants would have been turned off anyway due to old age or would be turning off during the next few years.

Also, the biggest and oldest pro-nuclear organisation in Germany (CSU) specifically said last spring that if we let it the free market freely decide to buy the old isar2 plant then that will solve climate change forever. And that we should encourage the free market by blocking the ban on fossil cars, and refusing to take any other action.
Which absolutely implies that the emissions in fall 2022 were low enough to solve climate change, as it is defined by pro-nuclear politicians.

So, your graph will never be enough to convince any German who paid attention to politics then to become pro-nuclear.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't that a problem?

Mostly indirectly.
Germany has essentially polarized on being pro/anti Green as a focus issue. And being "pro-nuclear" has become a core callout for the anti-Green side.
So, if someone complains about the Atomausstieg in Germany this month, literally everybody understands that they actually mean that they oppose the planned reduction in subsidies for diesel fuel.
And longer term, the "pro-nuclear" side is also the pro-austerity side, so they oppose government funding for new plants even harder then the actual greens. We can actually see that with fusion funding.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
In 2023, the wind and solar share of German electricity production reached its highest percentage of all time. This was primarily due to a sluggish economy using less energy generally, increased energy imports, and the early shuttering of the last of the German nuclear reactors.

Success!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Kaal posted:

In 2023, the wind and solar share of German electricity production reached its highest percentage of all time. This was primarily due to a sluggish economy using less energy generally, increased energy imports, and the early shuttering of the last of the German nuclear reactors.

Success!

Nope, renewable produced energy has reached the highest amount 2023 of all time. This is also the highest percentage, so you're half right.

Also yes, increased imports are a great success story since it means co2 pricing on cheap coal has worked, which was a historic source of german electricity exports. Coal and fossile sources have reduced their contribution on production by 24% in fact due to not being competitive more and more often. This was replaced by low emission renewable or nuclear imports and increased inland renewables, of which the changing european grid has more and more available.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

No, not as much as you imply.

Oh, word? How much did you imagine I implied?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Thanks for conceding the challenge.

Kaal posted:

Success!
I will never understand the hostility to energy trade within the EU + periphery in this thread.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DTurtle posted:

Thanks for conceding the challenge.

Yeah you're the biggest dipshit, happy to concede that challenge

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

rude

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

This can't be real :stare:
They all bought it until the very end.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 15, 2024

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

I will never understand the hostility to energy trade within the EU + periphery in this thread.

Because the EU is not a monolithic block where countries share their resources and funding as within a country. The EU energy market and its pricing system has been something of a shitshow where countries with historically low energy prices get uncomfortable price fluctuations and countries have used imports as a substitute for expanding their own capacity leading to a lack of overall capacity.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

DTurtle posted:

Because we have now seen twice within 5 years that in a crisis situation it's every country for themselves, with everyone passing (often actually illegal by EU law, but no-one cared) special laws that gently caress over their neighbours a lot just to help themselves a little.

And energy is not just an economic thing, here in the frozen north we are going to start loving dying if the power is off for too long. So there must be sufficient capacity to keep the heating on, and it has to come from a place that we can actually trust won't cut it off to help themselves. Which means from within our own borders.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

Because we have now seen twice within 5 years that in a crisis situation it's every country for themselves, with everyone passing (often actually illegal by EU law, but no-one cared) special laws that gently caress over their neighbours a lot just to help themselves a little.

And energy is not just an economic thing, here in the frozen north we are going to start loving dying if the power is off for too long. So there must be sufficient capacity to keep the heating on, and it has to come from a place that we can actually trust won't cut it off to help themselves. Which means from within our own borders.

Then that's the end for the European 2050 climate goals and staying under 2 degrees of warming. The only way for most European countries to remain self-sufficient are fossil fuels. Long term there may be other options like massive efuel storages/usage or nuclear power, but that's on timescales that are completely incompatible with 2 degrees(or anything close to it).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"self sufficient" and "fossil fuels" in the same sentence for many states that don't have much domestic production, yikes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"we can't afford to become energy dependent"

*I point at the political leverage Russia has had over Europe for over a decade*

"no that's out of scope that's fine"

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Brief overview of European nuclear energy developments.

Oilprice.com posted:

The U.K. plans to quadruple its nuclear electricity generation by 2050 and invest in domestic production of HALEU fuel, while extending the life of existing facilities.

France, despite German pressure for renewables, is set to construct up to 14 new nuclear reactors to meet its electricity demands and reduce fossil fuel reliance.

Sweden and Hungary are also expanding their nuclear capacities, with Sweden lifting its reactor cap and Hungary continuing its large-scale Paks-2 project.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In renewable news:

quote:

The world’s first commercial-scale floating wind farm, the 30 MW Hywind Scotland, officially entered the operations and maintenance (O&M) phase in October 2017. After a little over six years of operation, the wind farm’s Siemens Gamesa wind turbines are now due for some major maintenance work.

While offshore wind farms undergo turbine maintenance work more than once during their lifespans and tasks such as major component exchange are nothing uncommon, this is the first time a campaign of this kind will be done on a floating farm.
https://www.offshorewind.biz/2024/0...norwegian-port/

That's not necessarily a knock against it, 6 years is decent enough for floating in the ocean I suppose, but we'll see how much time and money it'll end up costing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

Then that's the end for the European 2050 climate goals and staying under 2 degrees of warming. The only way for most European countries to remain self-sufficient are fossil fuels. Long term there may be other options like massive efuel storages/usage or nuclear power, but that's on timescales that are completely incompatible with 2 degrees(or anything close to it).

No, it's not a binary choice the solution is to build international transmission AND much more generation capacity.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:france:

That fuckin rules.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

No, it's not a binary choice the solution is to build international transmission AND much more generation capacity.

Not sure what you are saying, but a country can deal with the intermittency issue of a growing renewable production either by

- integration into a larger, geographically spread out renewables grid and lose self-sufficiency

or it can

- try to remain self-sufficient and keep its renewable capacity isolated and rely on fossil fuels to solve intermittency

You can't do both at the same time. One of them allows a much faster phase out of fossil fuels use and a chance to reach the 2040 & 2050 emission goals and the other does not. Indulging in nationalism, paranoia and isolation are going to cook us alive.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is surprisingly good news, if it actually happens.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
So basically Germany is increasing renewables while offloading their baseload needs to French nuclear plants thanks to pan-European grid?

While best would of course be that Germany would build nuclear too, I think this is the best solution to lovely situation. So yeah, I'd say good news.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The original plan was to rely on russian natural gas for baseload so yes I suppose best of a lovely situation, we'll have to put our hopes to the french (welp).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In my opinion autarky is rarely sound policy, it's good to have something in case of emergencies; i.e see production of vaccines. But market forces make it so that energy service and pricing will be better/lower for the consumer if the market is larger with more competition; so naturally countries are going to mostly buy energy where it's cheaper than to spend the high upfront costs on more expensive baseload.

In an ideal world there would be a little more sensible central planning to ensure that there's enough baseload (i.e nuclear) being spun up to cover the needs of the entire block while still letting market forces deliver that energy to where its most economical.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Speaking of nuclear baseline. In 2023 Germany produced 9% less electricity and became a net importer even when electricity consumption decreased by 5%.

Wondering what will happen when the demand again rises. More coal or gas or both?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

India will ‘commission a nuclear power reactor every year’: NPCIL chief

On December 17, 2023, India’s largest indigenously developed 700-MWe pressurised heavy water reactor (PHWR) – the fourth unit in Kakrapar, Gujarat – attained criticality. Six months earlier, another 700-MWe unit in the same facility had started producing commercial electricity. In 2024, another unit with the same capacity is expected to be commissioned in Rawatbhata, Rajasthan. Behind all these reactors is the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL). Its chairman and managing director B.C. Pathak told The Hindu NPCIL plans to “commission a nuclear power reactor every year” hence.

India already has a plan to increase its present installed nuclear power capacity of 7,480 MW to 22,480 MW by 2031-2032 in a progressive manner.
Yes, as I already mentioned, 19 reactors are under various stages of implementation. NPCIL is capable of taking up [for construction] these many reactors. To ramp up our electricity generation capacity, it is better to go for a fleet of reactors at a time. But we are open to 220-MWe and 700-MWe reactors. The ultimate need is to increase the nuclear share in the country at the earliest.

https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/npcil-commission-nuclear-power-reactor-every-year-pathak-interview/article67751083.ece

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Interesting. I wonder if the capacity to build the 200 MWe units is separate from the 700 MWe units in term of foundries, etc. I can understand India not wanting to waste a nuclear amenable site on a smaller unit but for nations with smaller grids, a larger (like 6) number of smaller units might be the better way to go when you consider refueling cycles, etc. For eg, if Western Australia was to build four to six of them, it would be basically exactly that much gas fired generation being turned off. Doesn't make any sense if that would displace 700 MW units being built in India though.

In closer to me solar news, have a proposal for a 25 MW solar plant, ~US$28M capex, ~18 months build and would save about 20 kt of carbon a year and pay back in about five years. On the grid so save a bit on not needing batteries but also no opportunity for powershifting the excess solar generation during the peak of the day.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Four 200 mw reactors cost a lot more than one 700 mw reactor; thanks, square-cube law.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unless you can mass produce them at a factory as promised by SMRs. Whether or not that's going to happen...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

in a well actually posted:

Four 200 mw reactors cost a lot more than one 700 mw reactor; thanks, square-cube law.

That's not really the case, for exactly the same square-cube law you mention. A lot of the safety systems required, and required to be highly redundant and nuclear specific, fall away as the square dominates the cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mobby_6kl posted:

Unless you can mass produce them at a factory as promised by SMRs. Whether or not that's going to happen...

yeah nuscale took the cash and ran