Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Give Dan Campbell COTY again for getting Detroit a playoff win

No idea what you are talking about. It has just been 33 years since they have last won a playoff game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
What was the forum reaction to the Campbell hiring??

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Professor Funk posted:

Extreme derision from nerdlingers, with a few voices of dissent from posters who had actually played sports.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Professor Funk posted:

He was like okay in Miami but not spectacular, but I think people were curious because he has such [vibes].

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Professor Funk posted:

Mixture of people calling him a dumb meathead and people who appreciated his passion and thought Detroit needed a guy who clearly cared and was fired up to be there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

I still think he's a pretty bad coach tbh. He has one of the best playcallers in the NFL and they have done a really good job on the personnel side of that building.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Hunt11 posted:

No idea what you are talking about. It has just been 33 years since they have last won a playoff game.

poo poo I thought Campbell had a COTY already. Give it to him now damnit.

Him or Mike Tomlin dragging this corpse team to the playoffs

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Harlock posted:

Probably not until Tuesday

Jerry Jones, devoted observer of MLK Day

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I still think he's a pretty bad coach tbh. He has one of the best playcallers in the NFL and they have done a really good job on the personnel side of that building.

Who picked the playcaller

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I love this gimmick of Jets fan who has hyper-critiques of all the Franchises doing things right, lol

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The Lions better pony up and pay Ben Johnson ALL THE MONEY

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

Who picked the playcaller

he did pick him? or did the GM? if he did it's definitely a good hire that he should get credit for.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The337th posted:

I love this gimmick of Jets fan who has hyper-critiques of all the Franchises doing things right, lol

Do you think I think the jets do right things?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The337th posted:

TBF mcmagic is right more often than he's not, particularly about how lovely the jets are

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

he did pick him? or did the GM? if he did it's definitely a good hire that he should get credit for.

He's done an excellent job picking coordinators in general. Johnson and Glenn might both get HC jobs this cycle.

Idk, I think there are a lot of ways to be a good HC. I don't think Campbell is some football savant, but he clearly has an identity he wants to establish and he sticks to it. And I think he knows how to connect with his players and his staff and knows how to delegate effectively and here we are.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah, head coaching involves way more than just calling plays.

mcmagic posted:

Holmes and Campbell work closely together, I'm sure it was a joint effort. When Campbell was assembling his coaching staff a couple years ago, it was noticeable how many of them were former players, and I'd chalk a lot of that up to Campbell's time as a player in the league.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Two teams had 20+ year playoff win droughts

One team hired a nerd with a fancy offense and had players go through the motions for the entire final month of the season, culminating in an embarrassing loss

One team hired a meathead who only cared about team chemistry and broke their team and city's curse

My belief is that in the long run neither will win a title at their jobs and both will get fired after a half dozen mediocre years, but you absolutely need to fix the culture first at some of these jobs in dead end cities

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

"One of Campbell’s moves in shaping his coaching staff was to keep Ben Johnson, who he had worked with in Miami, from Matt Patricia’s staff. When Campbell lost faith in Anthony Lynn and took over play-calling duties, it was Johnson who worked heavily with Campbell to implement new wrinkles and improve the offense."

https://sidelionreport.com/2022/02/10/dan-campbell-lions-coaches-noticed/

wow, maybe this guy knows something about what he's doing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I shouldn't call him a bad coach. He deserves more credit than that and the results are very good.

LOL Patricia originally hired Campbell.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Professor Funk posted:

A bunch of nerds and jealous losers calling him a meathead and not embracing the spunk

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

Two teams had 20+ year playoff win droughts

One team hired a nerd with a fancy offense and had players go through the motions for the entire final month of the season, culminating in an embarrassing loss

One team hired a meathead who only cared about team chemistry and broke their team and city's curse

My belief is that in the long run neither will win a title at their jobs and both will get fired after a half dozen mediocre years, but you absolutely need to fix the culture first at some of these jobs in dead end cities

revenge of the meatheads

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

TBF mcmagic is right more often than he's not, particularly about how lovely the jets are

I think the Raiders are gonna gently caress it all up every year and it also makes me an incredible prognosticator

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mcmagic posted:

LOL Patricia originally hired Campbell.

:confused:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I meant Johnson.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I meant Johnson.

I guess it was inevitable he would do one correct thing as long as he’s been around the league

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TBH the Lions did the team president model and that worked. It's what the Jets need to do but their owner is too stupid to realize it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not quite a meathead in the same physical stature as Campbell but Sirianni is a vibes guy too. Hoping it doesn't fall apart for Campbell after his superstar coordinators depart

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Harlock posted:

Not quite a meathead in the same physical stature as Campbell but Sirianni is a vibes guy too. Hoping it doesn't fall apart for Campbell after his superstar coordinators depart

I can see Sirianni getting the boot tomorrow if they lose.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Harlock posted:

Campbell isn't really the snarly shithead type like Sirianni is, I think that's a pretty important difference.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Campbell is probably like the best version of Saleh we could hope for if he didn't have the worst GM in the NFL and the worst staff in the NFL.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

When he fired Anthony Lynn mid season Campbell took over the offense and play calling and they dramatically improved. I don’t know if he’s a savant but he at least know enough about that side of the ball to be hands on and he knows what good looks like, which seems to out him a notch above Sirriani.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The337th posted:

"One of Campbell’s moves in shaping his coaching staff was to keep Ben Johnson, who he had worked with in Miami, from Matt Patricia’s staff. When Campbell lost faith in Anthony Lynn and took over play-calling duties, it was Johnson who worked heavily with Campbell to implement new wrinkles and improve the offense."

https://sidelionreport.com/2022/02/10/dan-campbell-lions-coaches-noticed/

wow, maybe this guy knows something about what he's doing

Worth noting that he also held onto the O-line coach, Hank Fraley, after LT Taylor Decker personally vouched for him — a move that likely contributed to Detroit's offensive line becoming one of the best in the league.

Personally, I think Dan is a fantastic coach. A lot of people just see the meathead persona, but by all reports he's legitimately a very smart, empathetic, and unselfish guy. He's everything you could possibly want in a coach, and the Lions are lucky that he wanted to be here.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I mean how many people discuss all season long for multiple years that their coach should fire an obviously lame duck OC or DC? MCDC actually acted on it quickly which is all you need to know regarding at minimum his dedication to the job and willingness to learn and adjust. Dont think you can ask more from most HCs

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Worth noting that he also held onto the O-line coach, Hank Fraley, after LT Taylor Decker personally vouched for him — a move that likely contributed to Detroit's offensive line becoming one of the best in the league.

Personally, I think Dan is a fantastic coach. A lot of people just see the meathead persona, but by all reports he's legitimately a very smart, empathetic, and unselfish guy. He's everything you could possibly want in a coach, and the Lions are lucky that he wanted to be here.

It seems like Campbell is a rare HC who is aware of what he doesn't know and doesn't have an out of control ego that makes him ignore it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Anyone who still thinks Campbell is a clueless meathead caught the biting kneecaps soundbite and never checked back in. He and this staff might end up being a flash in the pan but god drat, you can see the flash from space. You couldn't design a better Lions coach in a lab

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Flus still with the bears and I hate it.

BB still hasn’t signed with the falcons and I hate it.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Professor Funk posted:

I linked the discussion in the NFCN thread.

Many were saying "huh, the guy who was an interim in Miami? Well, hopefully he's gotten more experience?"

Several posted South Park muscle coach.

Only a few panned the idea. Ironically, the first negative reaction without qualifiers was the creator of this very thread each year, Benne! I say this jape with love OP.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
EAGLES SUPERSTAR HANK FRALEY?!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's past midnight PST and fat Mike still isn't fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's past midnight PST and fat Mike still isn't fired.

Its past jerrys bedtime