Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

my favorite part about cooking is taking forever cutting everything exactly how I want it and getting rid of the bad parts. its very satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Never cut asparagus, just bend it til it breaks and throw out the woody part

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
The igniter on my stove went out awhile back so I've mostly been cooking in the toaster oven. I'll replace it eventually, but it's a lovely hotpoint that's just past the drat warranty of course and I'm not so confident about replacing the igniter myself.

ANYways, I'm making cast iron pizza's this evening as an experiment in the toaster oven. I've made a decent sized loaf of bread in there before, so I think the pizzas should come out pretty good. I'll post some results later (unless they come out like poo poo lol).

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

EL Skirvo posted:

The igniter on my stove went out awhile back so I've mostly been cooking in the toaster oven. I'll replace it eventually, but it's a lovely hotpoint that's just past the drat warranty of course and I'm not so confident about replacing the igniter myself.

ANYways, I'm making cast iron pizza's this evening as an experiment in the toaster oven. I've made a decent sized loaf of bread in there before, so I think the pizzas should come out pretty good. I'll post some results later (unless they come out like poo poo lol).

igniters are suuuper easy to replace yourself, I did it twice on mine before replacing the oven. the only even semi tricky part is figuring out the exact igniter you want, but that's just because of a fitment thing not a wiring or otherwise dangerous/tricky situation

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One of the things I like about living in an apartment is I don't have to gently caress with repairing appliances if I don't want to, I just tell our maintenance people that somethings broken and they might eventually fix it maybe or my next apartment might have a not broken one.

Making potato soup in the pressure cooker tonight.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I got a Dutch oven for Christmas and I have been making things in it. I did some sirloin steak tips and gravy today and also made some mashed potatoes to eat it on top of and it was very good.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

500excf type r posted:

I got a Dutch oven for Christmas and I have been making things in it. I did some sirloin steak tips and gravy today and also made some mashed potatoes to eat it on top of and it was very good.

make bread it's very easy and very good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

docbeard posted:

One of the things I like about living in an apartment is I don't have to gently caress with repairing appliances if I don't want to, I just tell our maintenance people that somethings broken and they might eventually fix it maybe or my next apartment might have a not broken one.

i moved into a new place on dec 1 and the kitchen faucet doesn't work. i informed the landlord when i got my keys but the plumber isn't here yet

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

my bony fealty posted:

make bread it's very easy and very good

This is coming up next but I need to find a recipe

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

500excf type r posted:

This is coming up next but I need to find a recipe

look up no knead dutch oven bread and pick one, they're all gonna be similar

this one works
https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/dutch-oven-bread/#recipe

using bread flour or a mix of white and bread does make a difference, it's worth getting some King Arthur bread flour

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
bread related. I made the king arthur baguette recipe recently. Really loving good

It was my 3rd try with it - they all tasted good. Just minor adjustments for my kitchen/process.

I love bread.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dang I bought that same bread pan 3 years ago when I was unemployed and bread making all the time but never tried it out

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

look up no knead dutch oven bread and pick one, they're all gonna be similar

this one works
https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/dutch-oven-bread/#recipe

using bread flour or a mix of white and bread does make a difference, it's worth getting some King Arthur bread flour

I made the recipe a few times, there is no need for the wax paper I found out. I tried a few iterations with some different things but in the end I found this best: Warm the dutch oven, 2 cups of warm water, 1 heaping tablespoon of yeast, proofed, 4 cups of flour, 1 heaping tablespoon of "better than bullion" Italian Herb and mixed all up, let it rise (I use the oven warmed up (which is how I warmed the dutch oven) because my house is cold) I wait 2-3 hours and then scrap the dough into a ball and onto a lightly floured cutting board. Then I wipe out the dutch oven with a rag to get whatever crusties are stuck on off and then return to 7th grade Home Economics and wipe the dutch oven with Crisco and then toss some flour around inside and it is completely nonstick. Then I dump the dough back into the dutch oven floured side up and cover it and toss it into the oven and turn it onto 450 and then about 30 minutes after it comes to temperature I take the lid off and another 10 minutes or so and I take the loaf out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

stilll a fire set

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got my oven all fixed up and am now much more aware of how heating element integrates into the cavity of the appliance (RE: there's a hole in the back and a block of styrofoam that shores it all up).

first pan of bacon I made in there was the crispiest poo poo I've made in months and now I'm wondering if that broiler element has been dogshit for a while now and I just didn't notice until it went apocalyptic on me.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Bacon is crazy on sale, like half off. They must have killed too many pigs or something. Bacon lovers rejoice!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I got my oven all fixed up and am now much more aware of how heating element integrates into the cavity of the appliance (RE: there's a hole in the back and a block of styrofoam that shores it all up).

first pan of bacon I made in there was the crispiest poo poo I've made in months and now I'm wondering if that broiler element has been dogshit for a while now and I just didn't notice until it went apocalyptic on me.

my favorite cheapo oven hack is to get a bunch of unglazed tiles at home depot to use as a big thermal sink. ten bucks turns a $500 oven into a $2000 one, at least in terms of temp consistency

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

my favorite cheapo oven hack is to get a bunch of unglazed tiles at home depot to use as a big thermal sink. ten bucks turns a $500 oven into a $2000 one, at least in terms of temp consistency
is there any potential of bad fumes?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
just get a pizza stone to same effect

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

its like 1/10th the price of a good pizza stone. also the best pizza thing is a steel imho

mawarannahr posted:

is there any potential of bad fumes?

that's why you gotta get em unglazed

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/lindayaX/status/1746579813735776375

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i made some crispy shallots and then took the shallot oil and made mayo and then took the mayo and made a bacon sandwich with it :yum:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

drat, that sounds tasty!

I made some Sunday gravy and ive got some meatballs in it finishing. unlike the twitter ceo, my meatballs do not have raisins in them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chard posted:

i made some crispy shallots and then took the shallot oil and made mayo and then took the mayo and made a bacon sandwich with it :yum:

nice

i was gonna make chili/scalloped potatoes/cornbread but i'm just annihilating a can of pringles. maybe soon

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

raisins belong in beef empanadas w/ hard boiled egg and olive and nothing else

even then I wonder if crasins would work better?

imagine...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.southernliving.com/fajitas-al-guajillo-7970194

this is a copycat dish from one of my favorite restaurants in austin. they're incredible

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I made some cream cheese today and it was incredibly easy and didn't take long at all.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

i say swears online posted:

https://www.southernliving.com/fajitas-al-guajillo-7970194

this is a copycat dish from one of my favorite restaurants in austin. they're incredible

drat this may be what finally gets me to make empanadas at home and doom my long term health

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I put some bacon on a cookie sheet and threw it in the oven and that was it. A 4 Michelin star supper

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

I put some bacon on a cookie sheet and threw it in the oven and that was it. A 4 Michelin star supper

baking bacon is the superior cooking method to pan frying

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

bedpan posted:

baking bacon is the superior cooking method to pan frying

It really is. I started doing this a year ago and will never go back. I hesitated at first because I figured it'd be a bitch to clean up but it's amazing, there's no mess at all!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

hey ya値l

I was directed here as a good place to start:

I知 wondering if anyone here is aware of some good youtube channels to follow to learn how to make Pakistani and Iranian style food

any suggestions?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

hey ya値l

I was directed here as a good place to start:

I知 wondering if anyone here is aware of some good youtube channels to follow to learn how to make Pakistani and Iranian style food

any suggestions?

The subcontinent shares a lot culturally so a decent chunk of pakistani cuisine is similar to what you'd find in the northwest of India minus all the beef stuff. If you are looking for pakistani things in particular you could try searching for some balochi, pashtun, sindhi, or pakistani punjabi recipes on youtube.

There are also a lot of subcontinent muslim recipes like nihari, sheer khorma, shami kebabs, and haleem in all parts of the subcontinent.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The subcontinent shares a lot culturally so a decent chunk of pakistani cuisine is similar to what you'd find in the northwest of India minus all the beef stuff. If you are looking for pakistani things in particular you could try searching for some balochi, pashtun, sindhi, or pakistani punjabi recipes on youtube.

There are also a lot of subcontinent muslim recipes like nihari, sheer khorma, shami kebabs, and haleem in all parts of the subcontinent.

Thanks. I致e found recipes online but they are usually too structured and rigid. I find that cooking is very much an art and I like to learn from other artist so to speak. This is why I learn to cook via YouTube (best if similar recipes are from the same individual).

I said all that without providing an example. my bad

example: I learned a lot about Korean cooking from Aaron and Claire because he does a great job helping you understand the reasoning behind the ingredients and how those ingredients affect the flavor, allowing you to adjust based on your tastes. He also provides options to speed up or enhance each dish based on your availability.

I知 hoping I could find another YouTuber with the same vibe

virtualboyCOLOR has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Jan 19, 2024

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Cooking is art, baking is science.

Except souffl駸, which are an unholy alliance of both akin to black magic.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I experimented making my own oven-baked egg bites (eggs, cheese, diced ham) and, while they are delicious and easy, I found my use of a greased muffin tin to be sorely lacking. cleaning up the pan took way too loving long.

enter: silicone muffin cups

I mean, sure, I presume it's poisoning me with sub-molecular composites, but holy poo poo the eggs just slide right the gently caress out and there's zero mess.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I experimented making my own oven-baked egg bites (eggs, cheese, diced ham) and, while they are delicious and easy, I found my use of a greased muffin tin to be sorely lacking. cleaning up the pan took way too loving long.

I mean, sure, I presume it's poisoning me with sub-molecular composites, but holy poo poo the eggs just slide right the gently caress out and there's zero mess.

No more than just drinking tap water.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

anything cooked on silicone tastes like silicone (silpat excluded for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

is it hard to make char siu pork from scratch?

I just reheated this from a vac pack I found at the store and it was very delicious.