Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

withoutclass posted:

Pixel 8 feels small enough to even use a case on it.

i hate using a case and never bothered in the past, but with the 8 it isn't so bad and i've been using one for a little over a month-ish now? it feels good.

still prefer a phone with no case at all but thanks to this form factor it's less egregious than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Pixel 8 Pro without a case is a pretty good one handed phone I'm finding!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

smoobles posted:

The Pixel 8 Pro without a case is a pretty good one handed phone I'm finding!

I have been running my 8 Pro naked since launch and I love it. Took me a bit to get used to the feel, as it's pretty slick, but I've got my grip comfortable that I don't feel like I'm going to drop it every time I pull it out of my pocket.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShoogaSlim posted:

i hate using a case and never bothered in the past, but with the 8 it isn't so bad and i've been using one for a little over a month-ish now? it feels good.

still prefer a phone with no case at all but thanks to this form factor it's less egregious than before.

Yeah it's fine. P8 without a case was wayyyy too slippery, shits ridiculous

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yep I feel the same. I grabbed a Bellroy case and it feels great in the hand. Both the Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 just felt too big in my hand to run a case on them.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I'd totally use my P7 naked if it wasn't as slippery as a bar of soap. Such a good looking phone.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it's fine. P8 without a case was wayyyy too slippery, shits ridiculous

I just got a Pixel 8 thanks to the 40% off discount to replace my elderly Galaxy S10. Thankfully, I was trying it out standing over my bed because it fell out of my hand like 1 minute after first turning it on. I got a cheap clear tpu case now, so it sticks to my fingers and is a joy to use. I took my S10 out its case and yeah it slides in my hand but nowhere near the extent of the pixel.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

withoutclass posted:

Yep I feel the same. I grabbed a Bellroy case and it feels great in the hand. Both the Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 just felt too big in my hand to run a case on them.

I have some other Bellroy stuff and have bought it as gifts - they make nice product, at least in my experience. They are also one of the only examples I've had where it was thanks to an advertisement I found them in the first place. I got some random, non-targeted ad on a weather site or somewhere for one of their key-holders, looked it up to make sure they weren't fly-by-night, and ordered one. The thing has been great and made me realize how much I hated having a bunch of keys jangling around and getting caught on one another. Since then I've got another one as a gift, and the recipient liked it so much they got a Bellroy wallet thing on their own, too. I'd totally consider a phone case from them.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’ve never used a Bellroy product, but I do remember seeing ads from them with George Costanza’s huge wallet, so I just assumed they were a meme company.

If I wasn’t such a Bullstap simp I’d check some of their stuff out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i was put off bellroy phone cases after seeing how extremely thin the leather layer was, with examples of corners wearing through completely, but i think that was in the pixel 6 days so maybe they've improved

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

repiv posted:

i was put off bellroy phone cases after seeing how extremely thin the leather layer was, with examples of corners wearing through completely, but i think that was in the pixel 6 days so maybe they've improved

I had one for my 6 for a bit and a single drop was enough to tear the leather. It's definitely more of a "finish" I think. It gives it a great hand feel but you're right it's pretty thin. My main complaint is the lighter colors get dirty really fast, so I went with black for the 8.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

edit: the DND option in the notification shade has a little "Google Pixel Watch" text underneath it, which kinda solves the issue i posted about in great length below. kinda.

something very peculiar is happening with my pixel 8 and pixel watch 1

my watch was dead for a few days and i didn't bother charging it, but for the past few days it's charged and i'm wearing it again regularly. only reason i bring that fact up is because this behavior started happening at the same time. my guess is it's a watch update maybe?

anyway, my phone has bedtime mode turn on automatically at 11pm every night. but DND does not turn on with it, it just activates the night light mode and goes to dark mode. but the past few nights, it's been turning on DND anyway without me realizing it. i also notice that my watch is automatically going to bedtime mode, where i used to need to manually enable that every night before actually going to bed.

that second part isn't so mysterious bc there's a (new?) feature in the watch app that allows you to sync bedtime mode across your phone and watch. so i'm guessing that bc my phone is enabling bedtime mode, that triggers the watch to trigger its own bedtime mode which... maybe?... in turn enables DND on my phone :confused:

it's pretty bizarre. i go into the digital wellbeing app, tap bedtime mode, scroll to customize and open that, and DND is off. which, btw, even when i tap to toggle that switch, it's like a separate DND setting anyway. it's specifically labeled "Do Not Disturb for Bedtime Mode."

as i'm typing this, i'm trying more troubleshooting and sure enough, manually turning off bedtime mode on the watch automatically turned DND off on my phone. if you long less the bedtime mode icon on the watch, it has a few different toggles/settings.

i'm sure it's a tough task to have all these disparate settings in multiple different places work seamlessly together, but man the PM's at google should really come up with a better way to more clearly display what settings are dictated by what device/process. if you want your average joe schmoe to buy phones and watches they're never gonna know wtf is going on.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 16, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ooof, can OnePlus marketing get any more transparent and astro-turfy.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/i-have-the-oneplus-12-why-you-should-be-excited/

https://www.droid-life.com/2024/01/15/heres-me-holding-the-oneplus-12/

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/oneplus-12-hands-on-review-this-could-be-the-perfect-affordable-flagship

All hands on articles that hit the same day that all say pretty much the same thing, trying to hype up the phone which is just…a phone. Like I’m sure it’s going to be a perfectly cromulent experience, but there’s nothing revolutionary about it.

I love this snippet from the digital trends article “The hardware for the OnePlus 12 feels exceptionally premium, despite only being aluminum alloy and glass.” Despite. There we have it folks, the next dumb bar that phones are going to have to jump over to get the “premium feel” tag attached to them is apparently titanium which doesn’t feel any different in the hand, just reduces weight a tiny bit (which is usually associated with less premium.)

This on top of the unboxing/hands on stuff on youtube.

Unrelated, but MKBHD seems to be hinting hard hard hard at stuff for the Samsung unpacked event when reviewing the ROG Phone 8. He starts talking about some of the AI stuff in the phone and then goes off on a tangent on how we should expect to see a lot of this sort of stuff on Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 phones. It’s at about 11:17 in his ROG 8 phone 8 review, he goes on about how you can expect to see a lot of AI features from manufacturers using the SD8 Gen 3 chip “trust me on this.”

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I love samsung, I've been using their phones since the s3 I think. I expect their AI poo poo to be so so so bad. I hope I'm wrong and it is somehow useful and not trash but yea I'm not gonna hold my breath

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Resdfru posted:

I love samsung, I've been using their phones since the s3 I think. I expect their AI poo poo to be so so so bad. I hope I'm wrong and it is somehow useful and not trash but yea I'm not gonna hold my breath

They're just going to license some poo poo just like everyone else is doing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm nearly certain that the S24 will launch with generative fill for photos and AI wallpapers.

It also seems (at least on the ROG phone) that AI is being used for better settings search.

Beyond that, I'm betting Bixby gets the axe for "Galaxy AI."

Did I say the axe? I mean rebranded.

I would just like them to take a more natural approach to photo rendering. Virtually no one likes the pumped up colors (based on the blind camera tests the past two years). I used my S23U for one event last year (my niece's birthday) and I really didn't like how the photos turned out. Unrealistic colors, blown out backgrounds, and poor handling of motion from a bunch of hyper kids.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2024

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
GalaxAI?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Better name than Bixby.

Still lovely, though 😂

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That would require creativity. This is Samsung we're talking about.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It's gonna be bixbyAI or bixby+AI or something

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We already know it's called Galaxy AI from the teaser.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I returned the zenfone 10 the same day I got as I knew I would be endlessly annoyed at its size and software. Back to the pixel 5 with the wonky power button and no updates. Then just today I saw the xperia 5 V is actually on sale at "only" €840 so I've ordered it. That's only like a €100 premium over the zenfone and pixel 8 here :/. Anyway, I'm pretty sure an xperia 5 is small enough so hopefully I will be able to live with whatever weird sony software quirks it has, and the apparently terrible camera.

I still pine for the old xperia z3 compact. I'd probably still stubbornly use it if it still turned on.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Xperia 5 V should be small enough width-wise, but it will feel really tall due to the 21:9 aspect ratio. Sony's UI skin is extremely minimal, to the point that it just feels like stock Android but with a gesture widget thing called side-sense that lets you pull down the notification shade, activate split screen multi-tasking, or PIP mode. The camera is also fine, people make a big stink about it because doesn't have the same computational photography chops like iPhone or Samsung devices, but if you know how to use an actual purpose built camera, especially a Sony one, you'll be fine. If you don't know how to use a Sony camera it's easy enough to learn.

Couple of pictures taken at a Jimmy Eat World concert a couple days after I got an Xperia 1 V and I was still learning the camera’s quirks.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 16, 2024

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
A while ago I got a sony rx100 which is like a fancy point n shoot and it has been a ton of fun. The photos look so much better than the phone cam and its fake bokah crap. I've been using the phone camera less and less so that's why the phone cam quality is no longer at the top of my list.

It will be neat if the xperia camera app is like an rx100 but at the same time the interface is certainly not the camera's strongest feature.

I wonder if anyone makes a phone with a viewfinder...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Xperia 5 V is larger than the Zenfone 10 so I don't think that's going to help your size issues.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Its .1 mm narrower. Also it is a good bit thinner. I dunno we'll see I guess.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

With all this AI nonsense coming out I'm feeling reaaaaaally good about my decision to get the S23.

Gonna rock this thing until it's EoS.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

That would require creativity. This is Samsung we're talking about.

Samsung, the company that made foldables a household name and became the Apple of Android and turned Android into their own thing that surpasses Google in some ways, isn't creative? I'd argue they're more creative than Google!

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
In other news about bedtime mode and DND, I don't love the fact that my phone loves to send a notification about DND being enabled. Kinda defeats the point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

My Pixel 8 has suffered random reboots since I got it. I factory reset last week in hopes of resolving it but a few minutes ago I had to enter the PIN following a restart.

Are there any logs I can check to see what's happened? Am I looking at an RMA at this stage?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bought an S22 two years ago because I wanted a small phone again, now eyeing an S24 Ultra (once embargoes lift and I see reviews) because I want a bigger battery again. It's the ciiiiircle of life.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My Pixel 8 has suffered random reboots since I got it. I factory reset last week in hopes of resolving it but a few minutes ago I had to enter the PIN following a restart.

Are there any logs I can check to see what's happened? Am I looking at an RMA at this stage?

Check the actual uptime as well. There are software chunks that will restart the interface, but not actually crash the phone (I'm looking at you, Chrome web view. rear end in a top hat).

It's possible just an app misbehaving and causing that.

At least that would indicate you don't have a hardware problem.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Check the actual uptime as well. There are software chunks that will restart the interface, but not actually crash the phone (I'm looking at you, Chrome web view. rear end in a top hat).

It's possible just an app misbehaving and causing that.

At least that would indicate you don't have a hardware problem.

Would something like that restarting the phone not reset the uptime though?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are you actually seeing it reboot?

I've definitely had to enter my pin in the last few days as if I'd restarted but my uptime is over 300 hours

So yeah it could just be the interface crashing

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would something like that restarting the phone not reset the uptime though?

It will still do the passcode requirement when just the front end crashes. The only difference is that it's slightly quicker than a full reboot and the core uptime doesn't get reset.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I don't see it reboot but the uptime was 34 minutes when I checked there, plus the phone says PIN required after restart :(

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

Are you actually seeing it reboot?

I've definitely had to enter my pin in the last few days as if I'd restarted but my uptime is over 300 hours

So yeah it could just be the interface crashing

Same. 300-ish hours coincides with the January update. My OnePlus11 is at 45 days, probably when it got its last update. Both phones will require a pin unlock after a certain amount of time. OnePlus tells you "hey, it's been 72 hours. Enter your pin", the Pixel seems much more random as to when it requires it, but it's not often.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This oddly feels like more of a Google keynote than Samsung.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't see it reboot but the uptime was 34 minutes when I checked there, plus the phone says PIN required after restart :(

I had the same issue with the Pixel 6 where the phone reboot constantly. Sometimes even while I was actively using it. It was a hardware issue and it was fixed with an RMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

AI AI AI AI AI

Galaxy AI

So very interesting..