Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

the only thing i remember about beto was how he just completely gave up and put zero effort in after that initial bump

Not true! He jumped on some tables! Made some impassioned cries for gun control! Had no coherent policy or political identity lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

No identity!?
His name is Beto, that's enough of an identity!

*continues eating mayo out of a jar*

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biden will be crushed in mere months!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

comedyblissoption posted:

predicting discourse that jill stein should be removed from the ballots under the insurrection clause

I'm sure there are plenty of succs who have already argued for this unironically.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Bootleg Trunks posted:

the only thing i remember about beto was how he just completely gave up and put zero effort in after that initial bump

I remember how he made my calves feel

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

predicting discourse that jill stein should be removed from the ballots under the insurrection clause

if there's one thing that will help the government look legitimate, it's a desperately unpopular president being the only choice on the ballot

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DJROTN/status/1746638591789326683

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jesus is it primary season already? I hope those corn heads have had a good harvest of campaign finds this year.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

im really looking forward to the insane and terrible takes that will be generated over the next 24 hours as trump is set to decisively win the iowa caucuses.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

im really looking forward to the insane and terrible takes that will be generated over the next 24 hours as trump is set to decisively win the iowa caucuses.

why wait?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nixon was more progressive, and he was incredibly right-wing and incredibly racist.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

putting down my fanfic about anti communist heroes and their spiffy hats to solemnly declare that Trump supporters are fascist

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

on the edge of my seat, thinking about how much, or how little, Haley is going to get second place

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Can't wait to see the guinea eat poo poo

*turns on monitor*

I can't wait to see desantis lose

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

he achieved exactly what he set out to do- siphon money from gullible liberals that believe blue texas is nigh every election. that's his job.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[LAURENS]
Burr, the revolution’s imminent. What do you stall for?

[HAMILTON]
If you stand for nothing, Burr, what’ll you fall for?

[MULLIGAN/LAFAYETTE/LAURENS]
Ooh

Who you?
Who you?
Who are you?

[MULLIGAN/LAFAYETTE/LAURENS]
Ooh, who is this kid? What’s he gonna do?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Gripweed posted:

This sucks so much. There’s no such thing as as a “set of corsets” and women didn’t wear multiple corsets. Wasn’t this supposed to aid in teaching history?

Ill get dragged for this, probably, but there's parts of Hamilton I think are pretty good, but I remember listening to this first section of the show and thinking, "wait, this is how the musical everyone loves starts? Is it going to be three hours of this?"

I don't think the show really hits its stride until George Washington shows up.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, biden's doctor could release records that showed biden suffers from advanced dementia & the party line would be "that's why he has wise advisors & harris to help him" without missing a beat.

same for trump (who would also be helped by harris taking a larger role, lol).

We really are living in an elective monarchy

Griz
May 21, 2001

how is she the green candidate again? bring back howie hawkins

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Talking again of Hamilton, I think it's really funny that one of the major themes of the show is politics as pursuit of power for its own sake versus politics as a means to change the world.

Liberals go gaga for this despite the fact that by any realistic measure, *they* are Aaron Burr. Beto might as well be saying he wants to be in the room where it happens.

They even kill the guy in the show who stands for meritocracy and political action!

Hamilton was all in on finance capitalism, but within the logic of the show, he's the progressive force overthrowing the old order. Strip away the particulars, and Burr and Jefferson represent mainstream liberalism and conservatism working together to destroy a threat to the status quo, i.e. communism.

Miranda doesn't intend this, but he has to borrow from the same tropes as anyone else, so the liberal propaganda actually ends up echoing modern politics in an extremely unflattering manner for Democrats.

In the hands of a better writer, that tension could have really shown, but alas...

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

What no concept of material conditions does to a mf

I like this a lot, actually. It's rare to see a politoon with a funny, compelling metaphor anymore.

I'd tweak it just a touch to have Trump escaping the pig pen, but "Trump is unstoppable" isn't quite what they are going for, even if that's the energy of this scene.

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 10:26 on Jan 15, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

PhilippAchtel posted:

Ill get dragged for this, probably, but there's parts of Hamilton I think are pretty good, but I remember listening to this first section of the show and thinking, "wait, this is how the musical everyone loves starts? Is it going to be three hours of this?"

I don't think the show really hits its stride until George Washington shows up.

The guns and ships song is fun to listen to but thats only because its the singer from clipping. And hes really loving good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/JackTindale/status/1746525729922183374

shut the gently caress up idiot

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

Talking again of Hamilton, I think it's really funny that one of the major themes of the show is politics as pursuit of power for its own sake versus politics as a means to change the world.

Liberals go gaga for this despite the fact that by any realistic measure, *they* are Aaron Burr. Beto might as well be saying he wants to be in the room where it happens.

They even kill the guy in the show who stands for meritocracy and political action!

Hamilton was all in on finance capitalism, but within the logic of the show, he's the progressive force overthrowing the old order. Strip away the particulars, and Burr and Jefferson represent mainstream liberalism and conservatism working together to destroy a threat to the status quo, i.e. communism.

Miranda doesn't intend this, but he has to borrow from the same tropes as anyone else, so the liberal propaganda actually ends up echoing modern politics in an extremely unflattering manner for Democrats.

In the hands of a better writer, that tension could have really shown, but alas...

still furious at myself that I lived 3 blocks away but never went to a performance of The Haunting of Lin-Manuel Miranda

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Griz posted:

how is she the green candidate again? bring back howie hawkins

the Green party, unlike the Democrat party, has competitive primaries

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
cross-posting from P/I:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1746584278505345111?s=20

Bernie must've seen Israel's defense at the ICJ if he waited this long.

Tapper: "you are trying to force a vote in Congress that would direct the US State Department to look into whether Israel is using US equipment or assistance to violate human rights standards in Gaza"

Sanders: "if American military assistance is given to any country, [...] it has got to be used consistent with human rights, international human rights standards, and American law"

okay I'm sorry but I do not like this. I mean yes the IDF is bombing whatever it wants in Gaza, and yes, they are violating human rights standards as they do so, but "only" bombing Gaza in a way that is consistent with human rights standards (as I'm sure such a definition exists) is still bombing Gaza.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bernie's problem with those numbers is that they aren't a lot higher. he's a democrat.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

gradenko_2000 posted:

cross-posting from P/I:

Tapper: "you are trying to force a vote in Congress that would direct the US State Department to look into whether Israel is using US equipment or assistance to violate human rights standards in Gaza"

Sanders: "if American military assistance is given to any country, [...] it has got to be used consistent with human rights, international human rights standards, and American law"

okay I'm sorry but I do not like this. I mean yes the IDF is bombing whatever it wants in Gaza, and yes, they are violating human rights standards as they do so, but "only" bombing Gaza in a way that is consistent with human rights standards (as I'm sure such a definition exists) is still bombing Gaza.

Jake : ok but how does my hair look like honestly

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Bombs Away Bernie loves bombing campaigns, hecsnt get enough of them. Yugoslavia, Libya, now Gaza, doesn't matter.

Social democrats gonna social democrat.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

As U.S. oil production booms, President Biden finds himself on a tightrope between courting moderate voters and maintaining enthusiasm among progressives.

https://x.com/thehill/status/1746868852720357668?s=20

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Biden is going to be one of the least consequential domestic presidents in recent memory. His "signature" pieces of legislation:

-the covid relief bill, all of which were temporary extensions of welfare program expansions that had already happened under Trump. All of which are now gone. Not to mention Biden owes all of us $600 still
-the infrastructure bill which, if implemented exactly as written would be wholly inadequate to actually restore infrastructure nationwide. But because it's a series of "public-private partnerships" (aka giveaways to private capital), it won't even be implemented as written and will fail
-the Inflation Reduction Act, a severe watering down of the agenda Biden pretended to support, which amounts to a couple of meager climate subsidies that are completely negated by the US continuing to ramp up fossil fuel production

The economy "recovered" under Biden because it was already "recovering" from the covid drop, before he came into office. The vaccine program was inherited from Trump and essentially complete by the time Biden came into office.

That's just domestically. On foreign policy he might be one of the most destructive presidents ever.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

VoicesCanBe posted:

Biden is going to be one of the least consequential domestic presidents in recent memory. His "signature" pieces of legislation:

-the covid relief bill, all of which were temporary extensions of welfare program expansions that had already happened under Trump. All of which are now gone. Not to mention Biden owes all of us $600 still
-the infrastructure bill which, if implemented exactly as written would be wholly inadequate to actually restore infrastructure nationwide. But because it's a series of "public-private partnerships" (aka giveaways to private capital), it won't even be implemented as written and will fail
-the Inflation Reduction Act, a severe watering down of the agenda Biden pretended to support, which amounts to a couple of meager climate subsidies that are completely negated by the US continuing to ramp up fossil fuel production

The economy "recovered" under Biden because it was already "recovering" from the covid drop, before he came into office. The vaccine program was inherited from Trump and essentially complete by the time Biden came into office.

That's just domestically. On foreign policy he might be one of the most destructive presidents ever.

Biden is accelerating the destruction of American imperialism as much as he can. What more could you ask of him? I swear, there's just no satisfying "progressives".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VoicesCanBe posted:

Biden is going to be one of the least consequential domestic presidents in recent memory.

https://twitter.com/DJROTN/status/1746882677632819607

this is an incredible bit of logical reasoning: if a President doesn't cancel a policy or a law that already existed when he came into office, he gets credit for all of it, so if all Biden did was just one more thing, he'd still be the Most Progressive President ever

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 14:21 on Jan 15, 2024

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

in order to prevent Trump from stealing the election and ending democracy forever, we have to cancel the election and just keep Biden in power forever

bing bong so simple

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Biden will be mainly remembered for being such a failure that Trump gets elected again

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

my bony fealty posted:

Biden will be mainly remembered for being such a failure that Trump gets elected again

So just like Obama

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

if you give him credit for poo poo passed when FDR was president, he's the most progressive ever

https://twitter.com/DJROTN/status/1746643211517337806

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/DJROTN/status/1746882677632819607

this is an incredible bit of logical reasoning: if a President doesn't cancel a policy or a law that already existed when he came into office, he gets credit for all of it, so if all Biden did was just one more thing, he'd still be the Most Progressive President ever

Trump's covid response alone was more progressive and he didn't totally eliminate the new deal so Trump is actually the most progressive ever. Thank you Comrade Trump.