Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dr_rat posted:

If they do have the the DLC focus on the snake people, they should make it clear that 100% the crazy snake cult people are right and there is a space snake god.
Could then have one of their members jump and see a different animal god and have a schism in the church. War between competing space god factions might at least make things a bit more interesting.

at the very least a bit more space mysticism couldn't hurt at this stage.

there's more space mysticism as you go on with the main quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tankbuster posted:

there's more space mysticism as you go on with the main quest.

Unitarians in space and, uh, atheist Unitarians in space.

Also, a fundamental mystery about the very nature of the cosmos that absolutely no one gives a gently caress about beyond the collectible game.

You'd think you might have something to say to the leader of the church and the Va'run ambassador after finding the pilgrim's writings, and the whole "existence and nature of the unity", but you do not.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 15, 2024

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I cringed so hard when they called Space Atheists the Enlightened I think pulled something. I really don't want more mysticism in the game unless it's full-on Va'ruun snek god.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There's more tension between the atheists and the space Unitarians than any other factions in the game, and that's based on a single conversation in Cydonia.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah. They siloed off the quests from each other.

Either way, most factions are clearly in a sort of tense state of not-war. I know most people will find it stupid but it feels very much like a lull in hostilities between two diametrically opposed societies whose leadership wants normalization on some level. The endgame slides talk about that with the terrormorph main quest. If it ends up being all good with the dinobirbs the narrative says that things begin to move forward in a more diplomatic way. Think more cold war détente attempts.

The narrative can be criticized for not allowing us to be a mischiefmaker and worsen relations but thats a separate complaint.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DancingShade posted:

We can't even have lunar buggies in our space exploration game (where we constantly explore the same identical randomly arranged on the map points of interest) and you want a mech? Outrageous!

What do you think this is? Mechwarrior 2 in 1996?

Besides which we know gamebryo can't support vehicles (snaps CD of Terminator Future Shock in two, throws in bin). Quite impossible.

They can at least do a lovely horse... So make a drat space horse mech.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

You'd think you might have something to say to the leader of the church and the Va'run ambassador after finding the pilgrim's writings, and the whole "existence and nature of the unity", but you do not.

the funny thing is if you go back to the church leader post-unity you can be like "hey man what's up" and he's like "oh hey looks like you became starborn, we should probably keep that on the down low and pretend we don't know each other though" and that's that

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wasnt bully made on gamebryo?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

wasnt bully made on gamebryo?

Scholarship Edition does but this is important how?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it had vehicles. I remember riding a bike when I played that game as a kid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
No one thinks they couldn’t make vehicles. They just didn’t, as a deliberate choice. I think they explained it even

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Howard said vehicles would throw off pacing and make worlds seem sparse (lol).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they will probably add mechs in at some point.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
No, Howard, the worlds being large blobs of nothing until you land on them and by dint of arriving spawn a few poi's, thus being large areas of very little in a roughly 7 km radius around your ship make the worlds "sparse", but you know that.
also, yeah, I wonder what sort of god animal the next varuun see's, I hope its a blobfish.
or a clam. something vaginal the snake people can get in a tizzy about.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
eh, it works for rimworld. Besides most of the spawn points wind up being close anyways.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tankbuster posted:

yeah. They siloed off the quests from each other.

Either way, most factions are clearly in a sort of tense state of not-war. I know most people will find it stupid but it feels very much like a lull in hostilities between two diametrically opposed societies whose leadership wants normalization on some level. The endgame slides talk about that with the terrormorph main quest. If it ends up being all good with the dinobirbs the narrative says that things begin to move forward in a more diplomatic way. Think more cold war détente attempts.

The narrative can be criticized for not allowing us to be a mischiefmaker and worsen relations but thats a separate complaint.

Sure, but that's the most basic bitch cold war / frozen conflict story line ever. This has been done by tons of fiction, from ancient Greek plays talking about Athens and Sparta on through entire genres of spy novels. gently caress, it's been done in Gamebryo - that's more or less the background of FONV.

As far as crafting a basic narrative goes it's an absolute layup and they somehow hosed it up.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
exactly how did they gently caress it up? From the museum and assorted quests there's a lot of revanchism on both sides but people in Starfield genuinely seem to care about civilian deaths.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tankbuster posted:

exactly how did they gently caress it up? From the museum and assorted quests there's a lot of revanchism on both sides but people in Starfield genuinely seem to care about civilian deaths.

Well, to start with by having there be zero actual tension between them and zero simmering hostilities. There is some lore fluff about how much they hate each other, but this isn't demonstrated anywhere in game.

edit: basically the game - as experienced by the player, maybe there's a terminal somewhere that goes off about how super serious this is - never makes it clear if these two nations are about to pop off like Germany and the UK in 1938, if they're staring at each other with icy loathing like the US and USSR in 1960, or if this poo poo is all ancient history and the war is mostly forgotten like the US and UK today.

Based on a play through you'd probably say the UC's greatest enemies are pirates, followed maybe by heat leaches.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 15, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tankbuster posted:

This is why Sarah gets super pissed at you after she shotguns down everyone on the ship you just boarded. :hmmyes:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, to start with by having there be zero actual tension between them and zero simmering hostilities. There is some lore fluff about how much they hate each other, but this isn't demonstrated anywhere in game.

the quest with the distress beacon mission somewhere has the two factions working together doing a castle itter style battle. The main quest for the freestar collective is a member of the ruling oligarchy using butthurt ex-soldiers to do run off farmers. The UC main quest has a ranking diplomat play hardball with you because despite her diplomatic role she has enough contempt for the UC that she will happily stonewall any process to get to the bottom of the weird mind bending fauna attacking a big spaceport. Even petty things like requesting a shaving from a dead tree is resisted by freestar residents.

The main focus of the story isn't on the problems between the UC and the FC. Its about collecting annoying rings and then going through a glowy portal. It would be right for bethesda to be criticized for not exploring that any further apart from several quests but I would choose LIST and deeper basebuilding mechanics over five more simmering tension quests that clearly won't lead up to a big battle over hoover dam.

isndl posted:

This is why Sarah gets super pissed at you after she shotguns down everyone on the ship you just boarded. :hmmyes:

She gets pissed off at you because you accidentally picked up a Willby plushie while rescuing a hostage.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 15, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Tankbuster posted:

The narrative can be criticized by anyone for any reason they want.

Is Bethesda paying you by the post, total word count, or what

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I just like the game and wanted to discuss it for a change. Maybe see what mods people were cooking up. Instead I get "drat their lore is all hosed up, why didn't they do something completely different because I thought so."

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I obviously want to argue with you because I did that Marine lieutenant quest too and it was a huge loving mess of writing and fast traveling and awkward dropship landings. I didn’t grasp the political tension you’re referring to at all.

The dropship landing attacks are so sad because they take forever to open the little cargo bay door and you can either chuck six grenades in there or just open fire on these poor loving fish in a barrel. Then the corpses glitch through the geometry horribly as the ship lingers for 3 seconds before awkwardly flying away.

Anyway I don’t want to argue with you. If you enjoy the game, I’m glad. Please enjoy it. Don’t read this miserable thread of Starfield haters. Go live your best purest life.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah. What a drat shame. Sorry about your redtext though. :(

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

space uncle posted:

The dropship landing attacks are so sad because they take forever to open the little cargo bay door

I had just gotten a grenade launcher, so I enjoyed that quest

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tankbuster posted:

I just like the game and wanted to discuss it for a change. Maybe see what mods people were cooking up. Instead I get "drat their lore is all hosed up, why didn't they do something completely different because I thought so."

Honestly I liked Starfield too! I played 80 hours of it, enough to get all the cheevos, and had an enjoyable space adventure. There's some great moments there! The Mantis quest is fun. I did that marine lieutenant sequence early on with lovely guns and not much ammo, so it really felt like a desperate fight for survival. Operation Starseed was an interesting quest chain (except for the times it bugged out and everyone in the base started blasting me unprompted). That main mission Entangled was fantastic the first time through. The intro mission is fun right up until Barrett basically says "hey you're the chosen one, please take my clothes, my boots and my motorcycle". I liked all the little snow globe easter eggs. Anyone who's sat through a doomed project at work probably grinned through the Stroud-Eckland chain (especially if you ended up creating the Homermobile). The shipbuilding is fun and engaging.

But man, there's some seriously stupid and/or broken poo poo in there too, from a technical standpoint, from a creative standpoint, and from a "video gaming" standpoint too.

I'm kind of ambivalent about Bethesda - I played Skyrim and Oblivion once each, and I've never played a Fallout game at all. But it's pretty easy to see why Skyrim was so highly acclaimed, and when Starfield has comparatively sunk without a trace.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

dr_rat posted:

If they do have the the DLC focus on the snake people, they should make it clear that 100% the crazy snake cult people are right and there is a space snake god.
Could then have one of their members jump and see a different animal god and have a schism in the church. War between competing space god factions might at least make things a bit more interesting.

at the very least a bit more space mysticism couldn't hurt at this stage.
I’d love that.

Or just have them constantly talking about their god, which obviously doesn’t exist. Only for it to make a surprise appearance during the climax. A loving thing the size of planets, ethers, maybe looking a bit like the cat from Gravity Rush, just tearing through a system, wreaking the big evil weapon someone created.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Unfortunately, the Snake God will just be a level 50 alien snake that controls people via pheromones, similar to a terrormorph.

You can discover this via a level 1 Zoology check, or by reading tablets and computers scattered around the area helpfully marked by (OPTIONAL) quest waypoints.

You can then [Persuade] the current Head Va'ruun Guy he has been mind controlled and to abandon the snake religion, making the final fight easier.

Using a silenced Beowulf you then sneak attack the snake, killing it in three hits while it slithers around trying to figure out who shot it.

You did it, you saved House Va'ruun.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 15, 2024

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Punished Ape posted:

Using a silenced Beowulf you then sneak attack the snake, killing it in three hits while it slithers around trying to become unstuck from a piece of level geometry. That is unless it clips through the map, becomes passive and becomes unkillable.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Punished Ape posted:

Unfortunately, the Snake God will just be a level 50 alien snake that controls people via pheromones, similar to a terrormorph.

You can discover this via a level 1 Zoology check, or by reading tablets and computers scattered around the area helpfully marked by (OPTIONAL) quest waypoints.

You can then [Persuade] the current Head Va'ruun Guy he has been mind controlled and to abandon the snake religion, making the final fight easier.

Using a silenced Beowulf you then sneak attack the snake, killing it in three hits while it slithers around trying to figure out who shot it.

David Benioff and Dan Weiss, is that you?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

You should delete that post before Bethesda finds you and then starts a mole hunt for leaking their $29.99 DLC. You’re gonna lose your job.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Al! posted:

calling a game youre playing mid is some real beta behavior, us real sigmas roll around in the slop

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Punished Ape posted:

[PERSUADE: Abandon your snake religion.]
"Unthinkable! Never!"
[+2 C'mon, do it.]
"You make a good point, but I cannot simply renounce my beliefs "
[+4 C'monnnnnnnnnn.]
"Yes, I think I see where you are coming from. Very well, I no longer follow my god. Here is the key to the inner sanctum. Good luck to you, starborn."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FeculentWizardTits posted:

[PERSUADE: Abandon your snake religion.]
"Unthinkable! Never!"
[+2 C'mon, do it.]
"You make a good point, but I cannot simply renounce my beliefs "
[+4 C'monnnnnnnnnn.]
"Yes, I think I see where you are coming from. Very well, I no longer follow my god. Here is the key to the inner sanctum. Good luck to you, starborn."

At least when New Vegas did it, you had good arguments to persuade Lanius that his position was untenable, and the [Speech] requirements kept going up, so you had the feeling that you had to work harder to persuade him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Those responses are too relevant to the conversation, you need a couple of entirely bizarre non-sequiturs in there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I would have died and gone to CRPG heaven if there was a low-int option to simply insult Lanius into leaving, but alas.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

infernal machines posted:

Those responses are too relevant to the conversation, you need a couple of entirely bizarre non-sequiturs in there.

im a ruthless space pirate who wants to steal your ship but i can't kill you right now because you have to gimme the key yourself before you die

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The actual gamplay mechanics get even funnier when you consider that

1. The Two Major Factions have fought multiple wars over restricting each other to 4 systems apiece, in an extremely "mom said you can't do that" sort of way
2. Said wars have left the more powerful faction at canonical risk of having their entire remaining space navy knocked over by a pirate faction if said pirate faction manges to get their hands on the contents of one (1) armored bank truck ship
3. Pirate/merc factions explicitly have a larger presence across the galaxy than either of the two major factions, but it's fine because they're not running Major Faction Decals

the more you think about it the more stupid it gets

The really silly thing is #3 could actually be justified in the setting. The Spacers/Mercs/Pirates are all soft-funded by UC or FCF to allow for colonizing beyond the limits and if a few settlers or ships go missing it's the cost of doing business.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Doesn't the Eclipse mercs have some sort of backroom deal were they were allowed to take over the abandoned warbases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If they do I don't remember it, but I do remember coming across a slate that was basically the same as Delgado's / Naeva's directives to take over anything, except Eclipse.

They really are just copy/paste of each other.