Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Uh… so cops you know those rifles you carry around?
The one loving time…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah! Protect that property with his life!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/1746705110401695779?s=20

delusional to try and take on a DDG in a task force with a lone anti-ship cruise missile

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I wonder what type of missile.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I wonder what type of missile.

I'm always partial to the C-802

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pmchem posted:

delusional to try and take on a DDG in a task force with a lone anti-ship cruise missile

Delusional is a strong word. Russia’s fancy stuff doesn’t work right now and the Stark attack, while almost 40 years ago and not an AEGIS destroyer, showed that USN ships might not be as good as “advertised”.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Delusional is a strong word. Russia’s fancy stuff doesn’t work right now and the Stark attack, while almost 40 years ago and not an AEGIS destroyer, showed that USN ships might not be as good as “advertised”.

.....I suspect a Reagan era attack has little bearing on the readiness of modern US destroyers, and the issue was less around the destroyer and more around its current state, it was not expecting nor watch for an attack and most of its any missile systems stayed in standby until second before it hit. Not really relevant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

.....I suspect a Reagan era attack has little bearing on the readiness of modern US destroyers, and the issue was less around the destroyer and more around its current state, it was not expecting nor watch for an attack and most of its any missile systems stayed in standby until second before it hit. Not really relevant.

My point is more that there are so few publicly known real world tests that it isn’t delusional to try.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 15, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If they did land one on a US ship they would very much learn the definition of be careful what you ask for.

Intervention would be terrible for the US, but it'd be catastrophic for them

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

Literally every shred of evidence since the Gulf War has borne out that most US weapon systems, though insanely expensive boondoggles, generally work extremely well. Our strategy might be terrible, our goals nonsensical, and our conduct questionable, but the weapons themselves are generally both reasonably functional and terrifyingly lethal. AEGIS certainly has a pretty stellar combat record as far as I'm aware, and has shot down every missile and/or airliner pointed at it since the '80s.

e: Like, sure, there's always the chance that something goes wrong and the missile gets lucky. But it's certainly not something I would bet on. I certainly wouldn't say the guys who shot the missile are "delusional" — they may very well have expected the missile to get shot down. But I would have to question their intelligence and foresight if they were seriously anticipating any other result.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 15, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The real delusional part of firing a cruise missile at a US Navy warship to see what would happen is thinking that there's going to be any positive outcome for you and everyone within a hundred miles of you if it *does* hit.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kazinsal posted:

The real delusional part of firing a cruise missile at a US Navy warship to see what would happen is thinking that there's going to be any positive outcome for you and everyone within a hundred miles of you if it *does* hit.

Propping up a pretender government for 20 years just so your kids have to grow up in a cave.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Kazinsal posted:

This seems wild to me, insofar as the whole point of destroyers in a modern navy is to act as missile screens…and not just taking them on the chin either. God help us all once the rest of a strike group gets pissy and starts slinging back more than they already have.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah! Protect that property with his life!

People sit in cars. Heck sometimes they leave pets and children in them when they run inside to get something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Literally every shred of evidence since the Gulf War has borne out that most US weapon systems, though insanely expensive boondoggles, generally work extremely well. Our strategy might be terrible, our goals nonsensical, and our conduct questionable, but the weapons themselves are generally both reasonably functional and terrifyingly lethal. AEGIS certainly has a pretty stellar combat record as far as I'm aware, and has shot down every missile and/or airliner pointed at it since the '80s.

e: Like, sure, there's always the chance that something goes wrong and the missile gets lucky. But it's certainly not something I would bet on. I certainly wouldn't say the guys who shot the missile are "delusional" — they may very well have expected the missile to get shot down. But I would have to question their intelligence and foresight if they were seriously anticipating any other result.

It's probably just a PR stunt on the part of the Houthis to show they're still in the fight after last week's airstrikes. They haven't launched any further complex attacks since the US and UK strikes, which would indicate that their capabilities have been degraded, but they're doing this for a domestic and regional media audience who don't know or care.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Crab Dad posted:

People sit in cars. Heck sometimes they leave pets and children in them when they run inside to get something.

That cop car certainly had a cop in it.

A very angry cop by the looks of it, after he got Bobcatted.

Either way, everyone seems to be alive, hopefully insurance will take care of the property damage, Bobcat guy got to have some fun, and everything's OK.

E: here's an actual article Bobcat Boy injured at least one person in an occupied vehicle he attacked.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 15, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Elviscat posted:

hopefully insurance will take care of the property damage

Unless everyone pays for comprehensive with no deductible or that guy is rich, I have bad news.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Thankfully, liqour stores never have people in them, only alcoholics.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stravag posted:

Thankfully, liqour stores never have people in them, only alcoholics.

:chloe:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I was being sarcastic and agreeing with crabdad that its really shortsighted to dismiss it as only property being threatened

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hell yeah let's pop his head like a balloon with a high caliber rifle bullet to teach him a lesson about being mentally ill in the United States. I, and I cannot believe I have to say this, am also being sarcastic because a cop shooting a gun isn't going to help anything

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah we're pretty all agreed on the ACAB part, but going on a rampage with a bobcat - even if it is slow and goofy - is still assault with a deadly weapon. Like were in austin powers level territory of the classic 'stop or i'll shoot'

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
At least the people taking cover/taking video had the situational awareness to realize that that cop was about to start blasting...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Hell yeah let's pop his head like a balloon with a high caliber rifle bullet to teach him a lesson about being mentally ill in the United States. I, and I cannot believe I have to say this, am also being sarcastic because a cop shooting a gun isn't going to help anything

Hell, when the cop dismounts and has gis pistol drawn, the crowd of onlooker rapidly GTFO as they realize they are the fleshy backstop if the cop starts firing at the bobcat. Thankfully didn’t happen, but that was the moment of checking out the bobcat guy vs mortal danger.

Beaten

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

dude the Ukrainians have been shooting down russian hypersonics with export versions of the Patriot for months now and you're questioning whether a task force there to stop missile attacks can shoot down a lone subsonic cruise missile headed at a DDG that has been designed and upgraded over the past 30+ years specifically to stop missile attacks on task forces

it didn't even make it to the ship-borne defense layer, it got shot down by some fighter pilot just to show off

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah we're pretty all agreed on the ACAB part, but going on a rampage with a bobcat - even if it is slow and goofy - is still assault with a deadly weapon. Like were in austin powers level territory of the classic 'stop or i'll shoot'

But it being slow is an important point here. It's better that this guy is boxed in with half a dozen police SUVs/APCs that he can destroy until the gas runs out than him getting shot for a menty b.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But it being slow is an important point here. It's better that this guy is boxed in with half a dozen police SUVs/APCs that he can destroy until the gas runs out than him getting shot for a menty b.

this. its not hard to call up roads and grounds have em bring in 5 or 6 dumptrucks. sure ya might have to replace a tire or two and bang out some dents, but nobody dies because one dude had a bad mental health day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

pmchem posted:

dude the Ukrainians have been shooting down russian hypersonics with export versions of the Patriot for months now and you're questioning whether a task force there to stop missile attacks can shoot down a lone subsonic cruise missile headed at a DDG that has been designed and upgraded over the past 30+ years specifically to stop missile attacks on task forces

it didn't even make it to the ship-borne defense layer, it got shot down by some fighter pilot just to show off

The DDGs out there are much more alert/prepared, but the 2016 engagement of Houthi-fired anti-ship missiles, while successful, wasn't all high fives and cocky assuredness. The US Navy even used the example in its pitch for new "Warrior Toughness" training for sailors.

https://www.usna.edu/CoreEthics/syllabus/classes/Vampire,_Vampire.pdf

quote:

After alerting the crew of the incoming threat, Mason’s on-watch Tactical Action Officer
rolled the firing key to green and gave the order, “Kill track Mike-November-Zero-Zero-One.”
Petty Officer Second Class Eric-Lee Howard repeated, “Kill track Mike-November-Zero-ZeroOne,” before reporting “birds away!” As counter measures left the USS Mason, smoke and heat
rushed over the deck in an instant and those just outside the pilot house felt the extreme effects
from the blast. Out of impulse, some of them hit the deck and curled up, but then quickly
resumed their duties as the success of the counter-measures became evident.

Across the ship, sailors sprang into action, bringing it into Material Condition Zebra, the most
restrictive condition in which valves, fittings, hatches, and scuttles are closed in order to divide
the ship into smaller compartments in an effort to minimize casualties and maximize the ship’s
chance of surviving. “In the moment, the situation almost seemed surreal,” recalls ENS Jeff Van
Hoof, USS Mason’s Officer of the Deck. “I had been qualified for [only] seven days and was
thrust into a situation that required all of my knowledge and concentration.” Van Hoof couldn’t
know at the time, but the USS Mason would remain in Zebra for the next five days (Hilliard and
Goodale 2022).

If you want to have some level of assuredness that you will destroy a ship, one missile sure isn't it, but you only have to get lucky once with a system being down, sensors not tuned well, crew behaving improperly. Air defense is one of those jobs where the sensors and people and weapons all hve to be "on" all the time, so you're rarely going to be able to count on something approaching a 100% intercept rate. Plus, if you ant to send a message that one night of airstrikes isn't gong to make the Houthis back down, a missile is a pretty clear way to do it. They're a tenacious and experienced organization.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't understand what you're responding to in that post. They weren't asserting that everyone ending up alive at the end of the day was in any way a bad thing, just that it would be naive to argue that there was no circumstance in which an attack with a Bobcat wouldn't entirely warrant lethal force.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Houthis don't have to hit anything. They are putting pressure on vessel traffic through the region and forcing coalition forces to be on and actively patrolling. Most companies have diverted vessel traffic around the Cape at this point. MSP vessels have been delayed for weeks from moving through, along with other commercial traffic. You can check with USN people but all our forces are already spread thin so extended actions/deployments aren't a good thing. The Suez is also a major source of revenue for Egypt so this greatly affects them.

Unions are pushing for wartime/hazard pay for sailors in the region and there's a huge shortage of qualified personnel. The USCG recently relaxed requirements for upgrade from ordinary seaman to able seaman because they can't fill slots. This also highlights how weak US logistics chains are. If there were multiple actions across the globe its unlikely the US has the capacity to supply them all, the Navy has already stated that convoys like WWII aren't possible, they don't have the resources to cover them and merchant shipping will be on their own for the most part.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Aren't our military logistics ships completely outdated and falling apart, too?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
~56 ships in the national defense fleet for MARAD with MSC ships under operational command of the USN. Cape Hs for example are >40 years old and the government wants them to last another 20 years. They still have spring close exhaust valves and belong in a museum. These are supplemented by MSP and TSP vessels which are required to be <20 years old.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

I don't understand what you're responding to in that post. They weren't asserting that everyone ending up alive at the end of the day was in any way a bad thing, just that it would be naive to argue that there was no circumstance in which an attack with a Bobcat wouldn't entirely warrant lethal force.

There are circumstances where an attack with a stuffed animal warrants lethal force. But it should still be the last option on the list, especially when there’s no imminent need to make an immediate decision.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
It amazes me that we spend $800+ billion a year on 'defense', but our actual equipment is just as ancient, grizzled, and broken-down as our politicians are.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pseudosavior posted:

It amazes me that we spend $800+ billion a year on 'defense', but our actual equipment is just as ancient, grizzled, and broken-down as our politicians are.

Because defense spending is a political act not a military act.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are circumstances where an attack with a stuffed animal warrants lethal force. But it should still be the last option on the list, especially when there’s no imminent need to make an immediate decision.

Did you check every car in the parking lot for people? No elderly or children? (Why didn’t these people run out of their cars through the icy parking lot in the first place?)

Ok have fun organizing 10 cops on your boxing in expedition with no prior training on the exceptionally unlikely scenario of rampaging cutie tractor. Lol they can’t even take a school shooter out of a school without wasting 10 hours.

I would literally pay money to see that.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I don't understand why SUV officer didn't just ram it broadside and flip it. But then again, I value life more than the average cop, it seems.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't understand why SUV officer didn't just ram it broadside and flip it. But then again, I value life more than the average cop, it seems.

Those things are usually heavier than an SUV and its generally low to the ground to keep it stable on loose soil. They start at 5,000 lbs and only get significantly heavier, up to 12,000 lbs.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
That would be an lol/lmao moment

Forklifts are no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
not only heavy, but it turns out that even a front end loader needs quite a low center of gravity to function.