Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

I kind of disagree. Long Live The Queen looks like a Princess Maker type, but it’s much more of a puzzle game. LLTQ has one path through it, and all of the choices are about trial-and-erroring the solution to this week’s crisis. PM-likes are much more about deciding what kind of person you want to raise/be, and finding your way forward through open choices.

I mean there's a lot more than one path, but yes there is a restricted number of possible paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Teenage Excolonist just makes me think it's a poop game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A correction is that the original PM2 translation was actually official but the company that was doing it went bankrupt before it came out and then it subsequently had review copies leaked, it wasn't a fan thing as such

Lol that it was the people who published TekWar and Witchhaven though

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I started Rune Factory 3 for PC. The characters are wonderfully bizarre, but I wish there was a way to load without closing out and restarting the game.

While I'm wishing for things, some way to cook more than one of a dish at a time would be great too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Since we are on the subject of stat raisers

This video was neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8T6K07iW-I

Korean marriage, not dating, sim release back in the 90s. Way closer to a Princess Maker style game than Tokimeki Memorial, you are choosing your wife's schedule and it has all that weird weight management stuff too. Its extremely sexist and doesn't look at all any fun to play but its a weird cultural artifact to learn about. Interesting stuff.

This channel is dedicated to stat raising stuff, I found her first few videos rough but this one was good. Hopefully she improved more in the later stuff but I haven't gotten to those yet.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/2Pcom/status/1744996115571744858

Immortal Life is coming out of early access soon. It was an indie wuxia-themed farm sim where your sect gets destroyed and you have to work with the remaining sect members to rebuild it and the town by farming/fishing/fighting monsters and all the usual jazz. The early access was functional enough when I played it even though it was a bit slow and definitely needed a bit of revisions based on playtesting feedback. Still, I haven't touched it since Oct 2022 according to Steam.

Might get back to it after Sandrock but Sandrock is big and I'm really not that far into it at all. I just got the first bridge rebuilt, I think I'm meant to be able to dig up iron soon.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
It's a shame that Sandrock has so many different townsfolk in it but none of them come close at all to being as awesome as Unsuur.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

Immortal Life is coming out of early access soon. It was an indie wuxia-themed farm sim where your sect gets destroyed and you have to work with the remaining sect members to rebuild it and the town by farming/fishing/fighting monsters and all the usual jazz. The early access was functional enough when I played it even though it was a bit slow and definitely needed a bit of revisions based on playtesting feedback. Still, I haven't touched it since Oct 2022 according to Steam.

Might get back to it after Sandrock but Sandrock is big and I'm really not that far into it at all. I just got the first bridge rebuilt, I think I'm meant to be able to dig up iron soon.

Does it have an English translation?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Does it have an English translation?

Immortal Life does have an official English translation. I didn't notice any rough edges or missing translations so it felt good in English.

However, when I played it a few months ago, NPCs had 1 line of dialogue. Not 1 per season or friendship level. 1 line. Some NPCs would have special dialogue during their quests, but even they immediately went back to their 1 line of dialogue as soon as the quest was over and nobody else got new dialogue to react to the quest. So it gets stale very quickly.

Hopefully someone will chime in and say they added more dialogue, but all the updates I've seen have been about adding more storyline dialogue and some (unnecessary) game balance tweaks, so I'd be surprised if there's much variety.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sandrock is one of those games that completely ruins a whole genre for me by simply being too good compared to everything else.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Sandrock is one of those games that completely ruins a whole genre for me by simply being too good compared to everything else.

I think maybe I have the same problem with Rune Factory 4.

Sandrock is a good evolution on Portia, but there are a few niggling little rough edges to it that bother me. I even took a break from it just after rebuilding the water tower. It's not been a genre defining game for me.

I've been playing Rune Factory 3 instead for the first time, and it's a lot of fun. There are several QoL improvements that 4 added that I really miss in 3, but it's still fun and playable. It's impressive how 4 took the already good game of 3 and polished it into a great game without breaking anything. Usually with games in this genre, good sequels are the ones that only break 2 things for every 3 they improve.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

$16.99 sure I’ll give it a go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

Played about an hour of this and the game is interesting but god drat the controller support is god awful.

It was added to the game not long ago but it definitely needs some work. I was fighting with the controls the most because some of the buttons don’t make sense.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Mysticblade posted:

Ooooh, thanks for the heads up. The Steam page says there's a free demo, I don't know how extensive. A streamer I really like is doing a livestream tonight, so I think I'll check it out that way because that's way less :effort:

Also Re: The Stat Raising Game Talk earlier, another game that I can think of that is primarily a stat raising game is Cute Bite. A game by Hanako games where you have a year to raise a vampire girl who's regressed back to childhood. It's a very good, mid-length game that is fun and interesting, especially in setting and characters.

If you don't mind games with anime high school dating as the focus, the Tokimeki Memorial series is really good, and primarily based on stat raising and player choice. The ones that have English fan translations are:
Tokimeki Memorial 1 (Super Nintendo)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1 (Nintendo DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 (Nintendo DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3 (Playstation Portable, also Nintendo DS)

There was a goon Let's Play that is archived here. It covered Tokimeki Memorial 1, 2, 3, and Girl's Side 1, and ended paritally through Girl's Side 2.
If you end up wanting to play the other games, I know that Optical Character Recognition programs work with Tokimeki Memorial 2, and Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 4. Because I have tried that myself While I'm at it, I know OCR will work with Princess Maker 4, also is a half stat raising/ half visual novel game which was never translated to English.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I think my favorite thing about RF3 is how villagers straight up tell you what they like as gifts. If you give them a neutral gift they politely say thank you, and then tell you what they really want. It's fantastic.

I wish everybody copied that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

LLSix posted:

I think my favorite thing about RF3 is how villagers straight up tell you what they like as gifts. If you give them a neutral gift they politely say thank you, and then tell you what they really want. It's fantastic.

I wish everybody copied that.

God that's amazing. I do not enjoy the guessing game of gifts, like everyone is too loving passive-aggressive to say what they like and just expects you to work it out.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

HopperUK posted:

God that's amazing. I do not enjoy the guessing game of gifts, like everyone is too loving passive-aggressive to say what they like and just expects you to work it out.

:yeah: More games should have in-game way to find peoples preferences.
That's just one of those things I always have to check from wiki.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Catalina posted:

Ooooh, thanks for the heads up. The Steam page says there's a free demo, I don't know how extensive. A streamer I really like is doing a livestream tonight, so I think I'll check it out that way because that's way less :effort:

Also Re: The Stat Raising Game Talk earlier, another game that I can think of that is primarily a stat raising game is Cute Bite. A game by Hanako games where you have a year to raise a vampire girl who's regressed back to childhood. It's a very good, mid-length game that is fun and interesting, especially in setting and characters.

If you don't mind games with anime high school dating as the focus, the Tokimeki Memorial series is really good, and primarily based on stat raising and player choice. The ones that have English fan translations are:
Tokimeki Memorial 1 (Super Nintendo)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1 (Nintendo DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 (Nintendo DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3 (Playstation Portable, also Nintendo DS)

There was a goon Let's Play that is archived here. It covered Tokimeki Memorial 1, 2, 3, and Girl's Side 1, and ended paritally through Girl's Side 2.
If you end up wanting to play the other games, I know that Optical Character Recognition programs work with Tokimeki Memorial 2, and Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 4. Because I have tried that myself While I'm at it, I know OCR will work with Princess Maker 4, also is a half stat raising/ half visual novel game which was never translated to English.

I said this in the rpg thread but i feel like the dating sim (actual ones) is going to get revitalized in a year or two. Like Volcano Princess and Teenage Exocolonist were both extremely popular, so there is groundwork laid there in general with stat raisers. Romance mechanics are in so many games now and often times the only thing people talk about with those games, but also are often consider superficial. I think the audience is really there for it now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I said this in the rpg thread but i feel like the dating sim (actual ones) is going to get revitalized in a year or two. Like Volcano Princess and Teenage Exocolonist were both extremely popular, so there is groundwork laid there in general with stat raisers. Romance mechanics are in so many games now and often times the only thing people talk about with those games, but also are often consider superficial. I think the audience is really there for it now.

But with bears.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Issaries posted:

For once I tried giving gifts instead of looking it up when I was playing Coral Island.

The second person I handed a flower to (universally liked or at least neutral, surely?) specifically HATES violets! gently caress it back to the wiki

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I mentioned earlier about Sandrock being so good that it ruined the rest of the genre for me and several people mentioned Rune Factory 3 and 4, I think, as being comparable in quality?

Which one should I try? The parts of Sandrock that I enjoy the most are the character interactions, for reference.
What's the deal with Rune Factory 5? Is it not as good?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

4 is the best Rune Factory.
3 is good, but not as good. 4 continued everything that was good about 3 and added some extra nice things.
5 is OK, but a significant step down from 4 in terms of polish and density of content.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Issaries posted:

Reminds me that Stardew Valley occasionally has characters tell you about the preferences of the people they're close to. Except it seems to be pretty rare that they'll decide to do that, and even then it's mostly just saying "hey, my sister would be pretty upset if you gave her garbage" rather than anything you might actually need to be told

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I mentioned earlier about Sandrock being so good that it ruined the rest of the genre for me and several people mentioned Rune Factory 3 and 4, I think, as being comparable in quality?

Which one should I try? The parts of Sandrock that I enjoy the most are the character interactions, for reference.
What's the deal with Rune Factory 5? Is it not as good?

4 is the best, apparently. I dunno, I bounced off it because it's really weeb-y.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

4 is the best, apparently. I dunno, I bounced off it because it's really weeb-y.

Maybe that's not for me then after all. My anime tolerance isn't particularly high.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Issaries posted:

Sandrock allows you to outright ask what kind of things characters like.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe that's not for me then after all. My anime tolerance isn't particularly high.

Might not be the series for you then. Anime levels are fairly high.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you want something to play after Sandrock, try Dragon Quest Builders 2 or Graveyard Keeper.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Graveyard keeper is the worst kind of trash grinder game where you grind for the sake of grinding without it ever having a payoff. All you do is unlock more grinding and it even sometimes takes your poo poo away without warning you beforehand.
Stay far away imo.

DQ Builders 2 is a fantastic game though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Graveyard keeper is the worst kind of trash grinder game where you grind for the sake of grinding without it ever having a payoff. All you do is unlock more grinding and it even sometimes takes your poo poo away without warning you beforehand.
Stay far away imo.

but I ̵̼̍𝓵̨̗̄𝓲̧̖͚ͩͦ͠𝓴̝̙̗͆̈ͮ̕͞͡𝓮̴̴̗̰̙̯͆͗̐ͮ͘͡ t̵̷͉͍̃ͥh̸̢̲̿̆ͅẽ̴̘̬̚͢ ͥͧͪ͢͠͏̙͓͍g̸̡̨͚͚͉̿̄ͥr͇̩͎͑̌́̚͘͜ì̵̢̼͈̜͌ͩ̕ṇ̢̖̞̆͐̑͢͢d̷̶ͩͯ̆̈҉̗̲̞͕͠ỉ̆͑͐̕҉̢͏͇̩͍̪n̉ͧ̓ͤ҉̷̶̸̗̭̟͚g̷̷̪̭̫̱̀ͮͧ͂̕͜---

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

FrickenMoron posted:

Stay far away imo.

DQ Builders 2 is a fantastic game though.

I also got the feeling Graveyard Keeper expects you to know what to do and when to do it even if it's your first playthrough. If not, gently caress you, enjoy waiting through multiple in-game days until it's time to try again or check a guide. Not a whole lot by way of social/romantic things to do, so there's that. And if like me, you go for the deluxe with all the DLC included, the DLC is available to try and do from the start, even if that makes no sense.

And :hellyeah: DQ Builders 2 loving rules.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like the idea behind Graveyard Keeper, it has the same "improve your surroundings" thing as Portia/Sandrock that I like, but the writing in Graveyard Keeper is the loving worst. Also it keeps stuttering on my machine that can run Cyberpunk on max without problems.

I don't know anything about DQ Builders 2 but I really dislike the way it looks.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I like the idea behind Graveyard Keeper, it has the same "improve your surroundings" thing as Portia/Sandrock that I like, but the writing in Graveyard Keeper is the loving worst. Also it keeps stuttering on my machine that can run Cyberpunk on max without problems.

You're not wrong. I got past all that because I liked the premise and enjoyed all the different mechanics and stuff, but this is all valid.

quote:

I don't know anything about DQ Builders 2 but I really dislike the way it looks.

Let me try to sell you.

I don't enjoy anime, I haven't really enjoyed most JRPGs I've tried before and I've never played any other DQ games before trying this one. I was also pretty skeptical because of how it looked, because most Japanese games that look like that usually leave me cold.

But it really won me over. It's basically "what if Minecraft had a really good RPG campaign where you build villages for NPCs". I strongly encourage you to try the JUMBO DEMO on Steam which shows off the first 10 hours of game in which you build one of the three big villages you'll rebuild in this game.

Word of caution - the intro where you're a prisoner on a ship is kinda meh, if you're not already into DQ. Thankfully, it's pretty short and once you get out and start surviving it really picks up, IMO.

I really hope you give this game a shot!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

With a free demo I might as well give it a shot.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Kinda fell off of it, but my experience with Graveyard Keeper is that it's a game that has many progression walls/gates and kinda expects you to test out everything to find the way forward. Like there were quite a few times where I wasn't sure how to reach certain goals and then I'd talk to an NPC I had been ignoring or try out a mechanic I had access to but held off, and that ended up being the solution. That said, it can be kinda annoying at times trying to figure out what the next step is you are supposed to do since the game doesn't really tell you. Also I didn't hate the mechanic of certain NPCs appearing at specific days, but it can feel like you are left to spin your wheels a bit if you need a specific NPC to progress and you got a few days to spend. The only part I remember being kind of a problem is blue research points or whatever those were called, since they can only be gotten by specific things and you can end up unlocking things with those that don't give more blue (or require stuff you don't have yet and effectivily don't give a return on blue invested).

Also, for a specific part of the game that seems to have rustled some feathers I thought the bit where the trap in the basement kills you unavoidably was kinda funny. Mostly because as far as I can tell you don't lose anything when dying and you pop back up in bed which is a short walk away from that spot anyway. Also the NPC who saw you die and reappear tells you that there just so conveniently is a dungeon full of monsters to explore, so it basically is a practical tutorial on the (lack of) danger of dying :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack Trades posted:

Sandrock allows you to outright ask what kind of things characters like.

Wait what? How do you do that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Wait what? How do you do that?

Take them out to eat at Blue Moon and ask them about what kind of stuff they like.
They will give you an idea of what kinds of items they like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack Trades posted:

Take them out to eat at Blue Moon and ask them about what kind of stuff they like.
They will give you an idea of what kinds of items they like.

Oh man! Is there anything you can do for the people you never get to “play” with?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Oh man! Is there anything you can do for the people you never get to “play” with?

Over time characters will have a Heart icon over then and if you chat with them they will tell you "I'd really like X right now"
If you gift them that then they'll give you a Relic Bag in return but also, the items they ask for are always their favorite gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack Trades posted:

Over time characters will have a Heart icon over then and if you chat with them they will tell you "I'd really like X right now"
If you gift them that then they'll give you a Relic Bag in return but also, the items they ask for are always their favorite gifts.

Ah, I didn’t know those were favourites. Makes sense!