Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CelticPredator posted:

now that guy is a real cock.

we have proof of him calling lilly tomlin the c word. what a stupid btich, i'm glad he got punched by clooney

Also sexually assaulted his niece. gently caress David O Russell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Punkin Spunkin posted:

kinda settling into Neolib Zahler territory

I'm currently catching up on the thread and this is a phrase that's gonna stick with me a while

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, I was pretty disappointed in Destroy All Neighbors. I guess it was too much to expect anything even close to Freaked.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Curse finale gave me jumps and thrills and deep-seated dread in the pit of my stomach. don't blame people for opting out but the last episode is nightmarish in the extreme

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It was so uncomfortable after episode 2 I gave up on it but I guess I gotta wade back in

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Dang, I was pretty disappointed in Destroy All Neighbors. I guess it was too much to expect anything even close to Freaked.

Same.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh drat I was going to watch Destroy All Neighbors tomorrow. That's disappointing.

I've been binge watching The Terror. Its pretty drat good I got like a few minutes of episode 9 left and then 10 so that'll be good.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Oh drat I was going to watch Destroy All Neighbors tomorrow. That's disappointing.

I've been binge watching The Terror. Its pretty drat good I got like a few minutes of episode 9 left and then 10 so that'll be good.

Hell yeah, buddy.

I like Mr Goodsir, a lot. He’s a cool dude.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

:( I was really looking forward too this. I'll stil watch it but Ill keep my expectations lower.

I didn't expect Freaked because Freaked is a masterpiece.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also whenever I write a crappy cop character I always name them Mooney because of Killer Klowns lol. What a shitheel that guy was. I love it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was Freaked the movie with the Rastafarian eyeballs?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

yeah and Randy Quaid at his most subdued.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

Just starting episode 7 now :respek:
Definitely different from the book but it’s good

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Just got back from Night Swim and it was a lot better than I was expecting. It was less "just stop going into the pool" and more cosmic horror monkey's paw type of deal.

Wasn't groundbreaking but pretty decent BH flick with at least 1 pretty cool shot.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hell yeah, buddy.

I like Mr Goodsir, a lot. He’s a cool dude.

For the longest time I thought they were saying "Mr. Good, sir"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Goodsir and Mr Blanky are who you wanna go sailin' with.

also drat those last few scenes between Crozier and Fitzjames are terrific. what a good show

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I really like "art theory." I like to know why something works, why a trope or whatever is used so much in media.

What's on my mind right now is why "childish" things are so easily turned to purposes in Horror? Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYz4EQVo1w

Why does a song most of us know from our parents or loved ones singing to us when we were little make a perfectly eerie piece in a horror game? I mostly play video games so my examples are mostly from video games but Silent Hill 3 was the scariest for me because of the amusement park setting, once again transforming something cute and kid friendly into something terrifying.

I'd just like to hear your thoughts on why this is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Subversion. Take something beautiful and pull it through something horrific.

That’s just the easy answer I guess

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
People want kids to be safe. Children's toys, songs, shows, are typically meant to be soft for that reason. So using that stuff in a scary way, even when a child isn't directly in danger, flips a switch in people's heads that something is inherently wrong here, this isn't safe anymore.

Honestly kinda cheap heat.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 15, 2024

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The earlier you encounter something in life, the more intense the reaction it has a high chance to produce in you, just by virtue of you not having developed commensurate response yet. I still remember my nephew bursting into tears the first time he heard “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” and that was in music box form. Throwing in some childhood thing is taking a blind swing at hitting one of those forgotten big buttons.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

ruddiger posted:

Echoing this (sadly). I like the acting (can't think of anyone who phoned it in), there are some genuine chuckles, and its obvious the cast and crew are having a blast. But then there's a repeated Mystery Science Theater 3000 reference as a plot point, and just an overall "it's fine" quality to the movie that keeps it from going awesome-r.

The best part may be Will and the security guard and that's likely due to Jonah and Kumail's chemistry and history on The Meltdown.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

yeah and Randy Quaid at his most subdued.

I saw that once on Canadian cable back in the 90s and their high-pitched "RAS-TAFAREYE" has lived rent free in my head for literally decades, thanks Bill S Preston Esq.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Phy posted:

I saw that once on Canadian cable back in the 90s and their high-pitched "RAS-TAFAREYE" has lived rent free in my head for literally decades, thanks Bill S Preston Esq.

NOBODY MOVE NOBODY GET HURT, MON

I love that goddamn movie.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Clearly bad if Mia Goth deliberately booted this guy in the head, however speaking as one myself, is it possible she may just be a clumsy oaf?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ambitious Spider posted:

Clearly bad if Mia Goth deliberately booted this guy in the head, however speaking as one myself, is it possible she may just be a clumsy oaf?

It's one of those things we have to wait until more info's released because with what we have, there's too many questions.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

NikkolasKing posted:

So I really like "art theory." I like to know why something works, why a trope or whatever is used so much in media.

What's on my mind right now is why "childish" things are so easily turned to purposes in Horror? Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYz4EQVo1w

Why does a song most of us know from our parents or loved ones singing to us when we were little make a perfectly eerie piece in a horror game? I mostly play video games so my examples are mostly from video games but Silent Hill 3 was the scariest for me because of the amusement park setting, once again transforming something cute and kid friendly into something terrifying.

I'd just like to hear your thoughts on why this is.

It's pretty scientific how people respond to noises: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6901841/ https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-08374-y

There's a whole bunch of triggers people have ranging from car horns to background buzz to the sound of crowds that makes people go into their fight or flight response. For instance, in my field there was a study seeing if whistles could get kids to pay attention or have them shut down due to the stimulus telling them they had to start listening. The girl used whistles during basketball practice on and off and recorded the amount of made shots, finding that most kids in her population shot worse if they knew a whistle was coming afterwards.

When it comes to how this applies to horror I think that peoples' brains are trying to process auditory information to go along with what they're seeing on screen. So if there's an amusement park setting, something that people generally enjoy according to the studies I linked, seeing it warped slightly or applying visually disturbing images can trigger the fight or flight response that makes up the feeling of being scared. There's obvious societal norms that go with this like the previous mention of wanting to protect children and finding evil children disturbing to the status quo. Uncomfortable = Scary.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its me again. Hopefully not too annoying yet. New weak of Bracketology. Big names but not exactly deep cuts this week. The Random Number Generator I use to draw movies giveth and taketh.

Where’ We’re At:
3. Wes Craven’s Nightmare on Elm Street vs. 14. (Weapon X’s Game Over) Paul W. S. Anderson’s Event Horizon
6. Dario Argento’s Jenifer vs. 11. (Kangra’s The Rage Virus) Juan Carlos Fresnadillo’s 28 Weeks Later

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Jan 22nd (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
2. Ratno Timoer vs. 15. Team Fresh Styles
7. Bracketology Redux vs. 10. TaBOO!

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If it'd been Dream Warriors then I'm voting Freddy all the way. I'm a weirdo who has always been somewhat lukewarm on the original NOES, so it's a tougher decision for me than you might think!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Watched Stephen King's Storm of the Century this weekend which is, I think, the strongest of his TV miniseries and definitely worth checking out. It's long as it was originally 3 nights of TV, but for the most part it clips by and keeps you interested.

It has some rough edges because it's a TV miniseries:

There is some pretty dicey CGI in a few points, and it's never allowed to get really violent even in scenes where you know King wanted to push it some more

But it's really well done and has one hell of an ending. Plus Tim Daly!!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kazzah posted:

I'm currently catching up on the thread and this is a phrase that's gonna stick with me a while

I love it, it's so deflating.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Fancy Hat posted:

Watched Stephen King's Storm of the Century this weekend which is, I think, the strongest of his TV miniseries and definitely worth checking out. It's long as it was originally 3 nights of TV, but for the most part it clips by and keeps you interested.

I agree and I think It was pretty weak by comparison.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

A Fancy Hat posted:

It has some rough edges because it's a TV miniseries:

There is some pretty dicey CGI in a few points, and it's never allowed to get really violent even in scenes where you know King wanted to push it some more

But it's really well done and has one hell of an ending. Plus Tim Daly!!!!

The ending is stunning. He got hosed so hard and he didn't even deserve it. The juxtaposition of his dreary rear end city life with the remaining cunts of that town celebrating was so brutal. gently caress his wife, his "best friend" and that entire town.

The dirtiest part is that Lenoge tricked them. He wasn't an all powerful being. The boyfriend of the pregnant girl was able to shake off his control. He was just a lovely old wizard with limited or waning powers. They probably could've gathered together against him in the end

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ambitious Spider posted:

His story is she did it carelessly but probably accidentally, but when he said something next take she did it again, hard enough he had a concussion, but then also made fun of him while he was pooping and then he got fired.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

His story is she did it carelessly but probably accidentally, but when he said something next take she did it again, hard enough he had a concussion, but then also made fun of him while he was pooping and then he got fired.

If it's true I am surprised she's getting off so lightly. Concussions are no joke, if it was done on purpose that's a pretty serious assault on a person.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

I CAN SMELL YA POOPIN

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGSVBTXqp08

I love low budget trailers like these. They’re so bad

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That's awful. They jokerfied John Wayne Gacy but the worst part is the fade in cuts used 20 times

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s just funny they can make a full length feature film but yet know not one person who can edit well.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

If it's true I am surprised she's getting off so lightly. Concussions are no joke, if it was done on purpose that's a pretty serious assault on a person.

Concussions can kill. One of my workfriends had a concussion so severe, she's been told if she gets another it will likely kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
is that from the dude that made that Nicole Brown movie