Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about how stuff like Echo, Prey, Reservation Dogs even What If... is great in showing Native Americans in a way that isn't just showing the horrors visited upon them by Europeans or shown the crushing poverty and neglect that they live in today. Showing them more than victims is probably much more uplifting.

Anti-colonialism is cool and good. What If... and Prey are doing great with that.

Prey is either the 2nd or 3rd best movie in the Predator series, and either way it's well worth your time to watch. Just like apparently I need to check out Reservation Dogs at some point soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Anti-colonialism is cool and good. What If... and Prey are doing great with that.

Prey is either the 2nd or 3rd best movie in the Predator series, and either way it's well worth your time to watch. Just like apparently I need to check out Reservation Dogs at some point soon.

Yeah, 1,2 and Prey are all tied for the top spot for me, fluctuating solely on my mood.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

live with fruit posted:

I'm waiting for an Echo vs. Killers of the Flower Moon think piece.

I had forgotten that Jacobs criticized Killers for being miserable. Between Echo, What If?, and Reservation Dogs, she's really put her money where her mouth is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rumor is that with the Daredevil: Born Again revamp they're actually bringing back Elden Henson (Foggy) and Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

Rumor is that with the Daredevil: Born Again revamp they're actually bringing back Elden Henson (Foggy) and Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page)

I think Foggy is almost as necessary as any other character from the Netflix show short of Matt himself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kinda hope they roll back a few things from the show, like Nelson and Murdoch not existing anymore, and Urich being dead.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

I kinda hope they roll back a few things from the show, like Nelson and Murdoch not existing anymore....
The original series already did that. Foggy wrote it down on a bar napkin and everything!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I finished Echo and WOW I burst out laughing at the climax, and not in a good way. I'm a Daredevil super fan but never read any of her side stuff. In Daredevil she's basically Taskmaster, super smart but able to mimic others fighting styles. On the show she's.... got magical energy powers that turn her grandma into a ninja? Is that in her other books????

Overall I'd say the show had potential but the final episode was one of my least favorite episodes of Marvel TV

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm excited to see Daredevil Born Again but I am a bit disappointed that the fact that it'll be taking place in the current MCU means that we won't get that sequence when the Avengers show up, possibly my favorite guest star appearance in all of big two comics. Like, Thor's still around (even if he is in space) so maybe they can just make him show up, and Captain Falcon's out there, and like maybe they can use Ironheart to replace Iron Man, but it won't feel the same you know?

Plus I mean, the elephant in the room, they won't do that because, since it's a show, Disney won't want to pay all those dudes to show up and suit up for like one scene.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

The original series already did that. Foggy wrote it down on a bar napkin and everything!

Didn't they desolve it at the end of the 3rd season because Matt was too busy being dd and Foggy became a city councilor?

I'd like to see Kate brought into this, she's a street level hero. She's done a lot if detective work in the comics, and they showed her doing that in Hawkeye so maybe a Kate and Jessica Jones team up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't have high hopes considering they're just adding him in rewrites, but hopefully they use Foggy better than Daredevil did after season 1.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently they're redoing a lot of the show. Including reports that they're reshooting the first episode completely. As an example of how much the original version was a gently caress up apparently Foggy and Karen originally had off screen deaths.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

apparently Foggy and Karen originally had off screen deaths.

What's really scary is if Disney MCU films and D+ haven't had so many flops, we'd probably be getting this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

notthegoatseguy posted:

What's really scary is if Disney MCU films and D+ haven't had so many flops, we'd probably be getting this.

I think the real savior here is the strike

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't they desolve it at the end of the 3rd season because Matt was too busy being dd and Foggy became a city councilor?
The finale is called "A New Napkin"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgNPD6TZfgc

Ignoring the Bullseye teaser at the end, I thought that was the perfect send off for the series.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There's probably a lot at play, but it wouldn't surprise me that since Feige is back to being more personally involved in these rather than delegating that he's had a hand in change. I think he would realize people would be very unhappy if Foggy and Karen weren't in the series, and even more unhappy if they died offscreen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC it sounded like the series had a real Surf Dracula problem with Matt not suiting up for like five of the six episodes filmed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

IIRC it sounded like the series had a real Surf Dracula problem with Matt not suiting up for like five of the six episodes filmed.

That's just a daredevil (season one) problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He used the Frank Miller/JRJR outfit from thr Man Without Fear miniseries from the 90s.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Watched the first episode of Echo, then realized that made me wanna rewatch Hawkeye ti get more out if it, then realized that I wanted to finally finish the 3rd season of Daredevil tk get more out of it, and now I'm stuck in the precise spot why I quit watching the show, the 6th episode.

Spoiler fo those who didn't watch it, it has a newspaper room get massacred by a Daredevil impersonated by Bullseye.. Definitely a tough scene to get thru but is also coupled with a frankly amazing fight scene. But it's just the last pebble on a season of extremely grim dark poo poo and people being lovely for no real reason. I'll see if I can make it thru but I can definitely see why I stopped there. Who needs to watch something like that?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's one thing I'm looking forward to with Born Again, the Netflix shows could be a little grim dark just for the hell of it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Watched the first episode of Echo, then realized that made me wanna rewatch Hawkeye ti get more out if it, then realized that I wanted to finally finish the 3rd season of Daredevil tk get more out of it, and now I'm stuck in the precise spot why I quit watching the show, the 6th episode.

Spoiler fo those who didn't watch it, it has a newspaper room get massacred by a Daredevil impersonated by Bullseye.. Definitely a tough scene to get thru but is also coupled with a frankly amazing fight scene. But it's just the last pebble on a season of extremely grim dark poo poo and people being lovely for no real reason. I'll see if I can make it thru but I can definitely see why I stopped there. Who needs to watch something like that?

Maya's superpowers and Kingpin's ASL contact lens suggest that the MCU version of Daredevil will be more in line with the tone of the overall franchise.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Starting S2 of What If, and I'm always impressed by who they get in for these voice roles, even the relatively small ones

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Maya's superpowers and Kingpin's ASL contact lens suggest that the MCU version of Daredevil will be more in line with the tone of the overall franchise.

Cool. After finishing S3 I still think its overly grim and slow as hell in the backhalf, but there's a lot of good there. One: the acting was universal great and the characterizations deeper than most anything else Marvel. Hope they import that at least.

Shout out to Bullseye which was a tremendous performance. That guy has to be in the new Daredevil show or Thunderbolts or something.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I'd love to see more Scott Glenn as Stick somehow. He was also great.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I know it is old news, but finally got to see The Marvels today on apple movies. The movie was great from start to finish. The strike and the horrible last few trailers that made the movie look like it was something it wasn't did a ton of damage to a very good movie. I only hope this can somehow get us a s2 of Ms Marvel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Air Skwirl posted:

He used the Frank Miller/JRJR outfit from thr Man Without Fear miniseries from the 90s.

I wish there could be a 10 year moratorium on using any Frank Miller written stuff in comic stuff. I'm at the point if someone starts talking about how great Frank Miller is, i think they actually haven't read many comics.

Though I am not against using the works of the Romita's though. Srs Spidy Costume is one of my favorites.

badjohny posted:

I know it is old news, but finally got to see The Marvels today on apple movies. The movie was great from start to finish. The strike and the horrible last few trailers that made the movie look like it was something it wasn't did a ton of damage to a very good movie. I only hope this can somehow get us a s2 of Ms Marvel.

Yea I had a feeling people are going to discover it when it hit streaming and go "hey this was pretty good!". I'd not be surprised when it hits D+ we'll see something like "it was the most streamed thing on Disney+ this week!".

The trailers really should of focused on it being about the 3 being friends and a team. Not trying to tie it to the big oh my god MCU stuff. Like a big plus is that while it is a "earth is in danger!" movie, its not though anything cosmic. Just some Kree jerk.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Opopanax posted:

That's one thing I'm looking forward to with Born Again, the Netflix shows could be a little grim dark just for the hell of it

This is why I'm not quite as down on Iron Fist as most people were. It was kind of a relief to watch something that wasn't downright depressing after coming off Jessica Jones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Watching Echo and I don't understand why Fisk just never loving learned Sign Language. Vincent D'Onfrio could probably do the sign language for the specific dialogs without being fluent, I learned how to sign "America the Beautiful" when I was 10, I don't know sign language. And there's so many other cast members that seem to be pretty good at sign language.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Air Skwirl posted:

Watching Echo and I don't understand why Fisk just never loving learned Sign Language. Vincent D'Onfrio could probably do the sign language for the specific dialogs without being fluent, I learned how to sign "America the Beautiful" when I was 10, I don't know sign language. And there's so many other cast members that seem to be pretty good at sign language.

Have you finished the show? It’s explicitly remarked upon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the canonization of the Netflix shows only happened due to the Born Again revamp.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Please bring back Jessica Henwick, I need a payoff to the end of Iron Fist Season 2

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Apparently the canonization of the Netflix shows only happened due to the Born Again revamp.

Yeah, Vincent D'Onofrio just gave a big interview about the whole situation.

Kevin Feige apparently came in and rebooted the show as essentially "Season 4" of Daredevil and decided that all the Netflix stuff would now be canon and considered background information to remove exposition. He also brought back Karen and Foggy and put the people from Loki/Moon Knight and Punisher in charge of day-to-day showrunning. Previously, it was more of a soft reboot without officially making the Netflix stuff canon.

Feige being unsatisfied with the dailies and D'Onofrio/Cox complaining basically triggered Feige stepping in to revamp everything. Feige thinks that Daredevil is the lynchpin to get the D+ Mojo back and is personally overseeing it.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1747662066138116546

quote:

“During our restart of all the creative on Daredevil: Born Again, all the creatives got together and said, ‘Look, this is how we’ve got to do it now,’” D’Onofrio says. “So we are for sure only speaking about it in terms of being directly connected to the original Daredevil, and that’s a great thing. It brings in a lot of cool stories and all the collateral story that happened in those original three seasons. So we now get to start this Born Again situation with all of that history behind us and the outcome of all that history. So we’re all talking about Daredevil: Born Again in those terms now.”

quote:

D’Onofrio is particularly excited about Born Again’s addition of Moon Knight and Loki directing duo, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead.

“I’m a huge fan of those guys, and I talk to them all the time now,” D’Onofrio shares. “When I heard that [they were joining Born Again], I was like, ‘OK, not only are we switching things up, but the bosses are doing the right thing for us.’ They’ve given us their hottest talent, and that’s pretty cool. So the first thing I did was thank them. I thanked Kevin [Feige] for doing that and sticking with Charlie [Cox] and I. It’s a pretty amazing thing.”

There's going to be some slight differences, but the tone is going to be a continuation. Also, he is not "good" or healed after the end of Echo, but it will effect him in some way.

quote:

I’ve been acting for forty-something years, and so I’m used to working with many different kinds of creative people. The best ones have a completely unique look at things, and so it never surprises me when things change a bit from project to project. It just doesn’t. The most we can do is be very savvy when it comes to the canon of these characters, Daredevil and Kingpin. We need to be on it when it comes to the right tone, and we need to give them what they’re looking for when it comes to this kind of storytelling. It’s different from the other stuff. Neither of us have superpowers, and we’re not from outer space. We’re character-driven story characters. That’s the way we were presented originally, and that’s the idea now. So all of the artists and creatives behind this stuff are going to change things slightly to make our story interesting.

quote:

Maya tried to use her powers to heal Fisk’s childhood pain, and while it might seem premature to take that defining characteristic away from him at this early stage in your MCU career, do you think she succeeded?

No, I don’t think that. I want to do the right thing here and say something that is true, but not too revealing. I don’t think he’s changed; I think he’s enlightened.

So, in my mind, after everything goes down with Maya, he gets on a plane, and the news is playing on the plane. It says, “New York is going to be looking for a new mayor soon,” and as he’s watching it, a light bulb goes on. So, by the end of that flight, he decides, “If I want to be all powerful, this is what I’m going to do.” That’s the most I can tell you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 17, 2024

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's interesting because I don't think Feige had much of anything to do with the Netflix shows at the time, a hybridization sounds nice (although I still think 28 episodes is way too much unless the go whole hog Defenders with it)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Opopanax posted:

It's interesting because I don't think Feige had much of anything to do with the Netflix shows at the time, a hybridization sounds nice (although I still think 28 episodes is way too much unless the go whole hog Defenders with it)

No, I believe the Netflix stuff was all guided by the filthy hand of Jeph Loeb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Opopanax posted:

It's 18 episodes total and not 28.

They are also basically doing a sneaky Season 1 and Season 2 without calling it that. The first 9 episodes are supposed to air, then a short break, then the final 9 episodes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There have been rumors that it's going to tie in with the next Spider-Man movie and basically be a loose adaptation of Devil's Reign. But who knows if those rumors are true or not.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Him wanting to be mayor ties into the Devil's Reign rumors. And him against Spider-Man would be great.

Also please yes bring Jessica Henwick back as the Iron Fist.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

One thing I found hard to increasingly believe was Kingpin actually being effective in getting 5he public to support towards the end of the 3rd season as he's killed like a dozen police officers the public is aware of?

Him running for mayor is gonna need aloooooooot of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shageletic posted:

One thing I found hard to increasingly believe was Kingpin actually being effective in getting 5he public to support towards the end of the 3rd season as he's killed like a dozen police officers the public is aware of?

Him running for mayor is gonna need aloooooooot of work

Hey Eric Adams is somehow mayor IRL, so like, I can see it