Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

For all the new Hades players (I only started it about a month ago myself): https://bsky.app/profile/sarahebond.bsky.social/post/3kiziszombl2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just beat Golden Sun lol.

I thought I beat this in college and I had loaded it into my GBA to get the code to transfer my save to The Lost Age when it comes to Switch this week.

I found my cart and the save miraculously was still there. But there was no game complete save. I had a save right before the final boss. I never beat this! I couldn't beat the last boss!

Well I beat it this morning, I was a few levels under leveled, but focused on defensive buffs and it wasn't that bad, just took like an hour and a half!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just beat Golden Sun lol.

I thought I beat this in college and I had loaded it into my GBA to get the code to transfer my save to The Lost Age when it comes to Switch this week.

I found my cart and the save miraculously was still there. But there was no game complete save. I had a save right before the final boss. I never beat this! I couldn't beat the last boss!

Well I beat it this morning, I was a few levels under leveled, but focused on defensive buffs and it wasn't that bad, just took like an hour and a half!

loading up an ancient save to finally beat it is cool as hell

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

elf help book posted:

loading up an ancient save to finally beat it is cool as hell

I did something similar with Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 for the GBC.

Except I was worried the battery would die so I bought a weird hacked together device from some russian guy to rip the ROM and SAV so I could beat it on an Emulator. :v:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Theseus and Asterius can go suck a dick

Actually Asterius is mad cool

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Butterfly Valley posted:

Theseus and Asterius can go suck a dick

Isn't that canon?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

Actually Asterius is mad cool
Sshhhh. They probably haven't tussled with him enough just yet. Don't spoil the fun.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Annath posted:

I did something similar with Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 for the GBC.

Except I was worried the battery would die so I bought a weird hacked together device from some russian guy to rip the ROM and SAV so I could beat it on an Emulator. :v:

also very cool

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

elf help book posted:

also very cool

One thing I was super excited to do when I ripped the save was to use gameshark codes to give myself the 3 "secret" monsters that were only available via a Nintendo Power promotion. My parents wouldn't let me mail my cartridge in, so I never got them.

I added them to my game, and found out that they are coded to have their level cap at 9 so they can't be bred for better stats :v:

(I found a way around that though)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

starfox adventures gets unfairly ridiculed for being a bad starfox game when its actual problem is that it's a bad zelda game

Yeah, I think there's a total of maybe 2-3 Arwing sections in the entire game, the rest is completely unrelated.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bofast posted:

Yeah, I think there's a total of maybe 2-3 Arwing sections in the entire game, the rest is completely unrelated.

and if the majority of the game was good at what it was doing, it'd be at worst a weird spinoff that was enjoyable for what it was. it's not like nintendo has never had successful spinoffs of one of their series' before.

however,

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Starfox Adventures introduced the blue chick.

Whether that's good or bad is up to you.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I just watched a digital foundry retro video on dinosaur planet/starfox adventures from a couple of years ago after a dinosaur planet rom was leaked and it made me want to play starfox adventures for the first time, because given how much I loved rare and zelda it's weird i never did. the host used the line 'starfox adventures is to ocarina of time what banjo kazooie is to mario 64' which piqued my interest. was he full of poo poo?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just watched a digital foundry retro video on dinosaur planet/starfox adventures from a couple of years ago after a dinosaur planet rom was leaked and it made me want to play starfox adventures for the first time, because given how much I loved rare and zelda it's weird i never did. the host used the line 'starfox adventures is to ocarina of time what banjo kazooie is to mario 64' which piqued my interest. was he full of poo poo?

well, what does that comparison mean to you?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Looper posted:

well, what does that comparison mean to you?

I'd read that as "more cartoony, less mechanically complex, but charming"?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't that canon?

Yes, it's called 'Burger King'

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Annath posted:

I'd read that as "more cartoony, less mechanically complex, but charming"?

:allears:

i guess banjo kazooie is a more generous comparison than dk64

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Butterfly Valley posted:

i mean, it's not the worst game ever, or even the worst game with the starfox name attached to it, but there's really no reason to play it unless you like really good looking (for the time) water and fur.

if you want good zelda knockoffs from the same era, beyond good and evil runs circles around sfarfox adventures.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

SFA's main crime is being painfully shallow with virtually no "crunch" to any element of the gameplay, platforming, exploration or combat. The story and characters are also incredibly dull, so there just nothing compelling going on at all. It's not painful in the way more famously bad game are, it's just incredibly unengaging to fascinating degree.

In conclusion, yeah full of poo poo.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Remember when the N64 was mostly racing games and platformer collect-a-thons? I 'member.

Some of those racing games were really good tho.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

As someone who would, depending on the day, call Starfox 64 my favorite game of all time; At the very least it was really cool when you got thrown into an Arwing level with Gamecube quality graphics at the very end of Adventure.

:gbsmith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bug Squash posted:

SFA's main crime is being painfully shallow with virtually no "crunch" to any element of the gameplay, platforming, exploration or combat. The story and characters are also incredibly dull, so there just nothing compelling going on at all. It's not painful in the way more famously bad game are, it's just incredibly unengaging to fascinating degree.

In conclusion, yeah full of poo poo.

don't forget how terrible a companion tricky is. iirc one of the lead designers of the game later lamented that tricky was a janky pain in the rear end that never worked the way they wanted him to.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

abraham linksys posted:

I, uh, don't get it? I feel like that's a pretty good description of Banjo Kazooie?

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
The Gold Suns release reminds me that I really liked the games when they came out.... but never want to play them again. Though some of the music is still incredible to hear.

Also reminds me that I kind of hate how the DS one wasn't very good and poorly received.... and ended on a cliffhanger but then the series died.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Waffle! posted:

Remember when the N64 was mostly racing games and platformer collect-a-thons? I 'member.

Some of those racing games were really good tho.

i miss sf rush and the old cruisin' usa.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The star wars videogame coin flip came up "good game" at least twice on the system, and one of them was a racing game?!?!?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

abraham linksys posted:

Well SFA is definitely not collection heavy like Tooie or DK64, there are lots of different kinds of collectibles but they are almost always ammo and nearby to places you actually need them.

I think it's main crime is you doing get to fight the bad guy. You finally get to him and then he gets killed by a villain you didn't know existed. They should have done that after you beat him at least.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

B33rChiller posted:

The star wars videogame coin flip came up "good game" at least twice on the system, and one of them was a racing game?!?!?

shadows of the empire was cool as gently caress when it came out. gall spaceport blew my fuckin mind, video game levels were not that big back then. too bad the game largely aged like poo poo.

battle for naboo was Fine but nowhere near as good as rogue squadron or racer.

also the n64 sure as hell fared better with star wars games than the ps1 did lmao

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Lego Star Wars games aren’t too bad either in my experience

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

Very fun games.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

shadows of the empire was cool as gently caress when it came out. gall spaceport blew my fuckin mind, video game levels were not that big back then. too bad the game largely aged like poo poo.

battle for naboo was Fine but nowhere near as good as rogue squadron or racer.

also the n64 sure as hell fared better with star wars games than the ps1 did lmao

i'm watching someone play it now and it still seems alright so far? i'm still trying to escape hoth so maybe it falls off later.

i also forgot how similar the plot/progression is to tesb.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 15, 2024

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Elder Scrolls: ‘Blivion

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Larryb posted:

yeah, I've enjoyed those.
There are a lot of stinker star wars games though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They’re also the only company that bothered making any games based on the sequel trilogy to my knowledge (and they at least tried to punch the scripts up a bit to their credit)

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

B33rChiller posted:

The Dreamcast had Jedi Power Battles and Demolition, which were both awesome!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

abelwingnut posted:

i'm watching someone play it now and it still seems alright so far? i'm still trying to escape hoth so maybe it falls off later.

i also forgot how similar the plot/progression is to tesb.

it does go to poo poo at some point.

like...

Dash Rendar jumps into a lake of poo poo in a massive sewer and the game never recovers.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Sally posted:

like...

Dash Rendar jumps into a lake of poo poo in a massive sewer and the game never recovers.

haven't gotten there yet, but i'm at gall spaceport. i forgot how much jumping was involved. also, the auto-aiming system is...yikes. i get it's trying to add variability, but sometimes it just straight up doesn't lock on to drones that are 5' away.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Sally posted:

like...

That level always scared me as a kid because of the underwater monsters and the sounds they make. And then the boss is a giant one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It's difficult for me to describe but shadows of the empire is the peak of the vaguely unsettling 90s game design which somehow filled child me with existential dread and vertigo where you get huge open spaces and repeating textures and open/glitchy out of bounds areas where you can see drops into infinity

Jedi knight also did this, I remember using noclip cheats to fly off some of the high maps in that game and really freaking myself out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

jackhunter64 posted:

Yes, it's called 'Burger King'

It may have changed over the years but it's still the Ship of Theseus in my heart.