Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TotalHell posted:

This is going to be my problem. I really want as many old border shocks as I can get, and foil is just a bonus.

If you don't have a set already they're about 15 each for probably one if the best iterations on the concept for cards you'll be able to play until you quit magic.
If I didn't already own a set fun when they tanked before RTR I would be filling out my collection now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aphrodite posted:

Learn how to throw them hard and start cosplaying Gambit.
soak them in nitroglycerine for the extra character accuracy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What're these? Playing cards?

They're Magic: the Gathering cards. You get him in the eye with the corner of one of those, and he'll KNOW what hit'em!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AlternateNu posted:

What're these? Trading cards?

They're Magic: the Gathering cards. You get him in the eye with the corner of one of those, and he'll KNOW what hit'em!

Only if it's the top-left corner that hits him in the eye. Hit with one of the other corners and he'll just know its mana cost, artist, or power/toughness.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Only if it's the top-left corner that hits him in the eye. Hit with one of the other corners and he'll just know its mana cost, artist, or power/toughness.

Lmao

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

this deserves an emptyquote lmao

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

lmao

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

wow, wasn't expecting them to drop the ending to murders at karlov manor. Wouldn't it have made sense to draw it out a little? like have a few weekly stories? Seems like they either learned nothing from MoM or they were already too far along when they found out everyone hated the story of MoM.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

wait her name is Massacre Girl

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Murder previews:

New Mechanic: Disguise
Updated Morph, pay 3 to play facedown as a 2/2 with Ward 2

New Mechanic: Suspect
A suspected creature has Menace and can't block.

New Mechanic: Cases
First ability is always active, second ability is how you solve the case, third ability is the effect you get for solving the case

New Mechanic: Collect Evidence
Delve combined mana values for an effect

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 16, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A Moose posted:

wow, wasn't expecting them to drop the ending to murders at karlov manor. Wouldn't it have made sense to draw it out a little? like have a few weekly stories? Seems like they either learned nothing from MoM or they were already too far along when they found out everyone hated the story of MoM.

they've been doing weekly stories, the eighth of which just dropped

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I see they've put+1 and -1 counters in the same set

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Voja keeps getting bigger. cool that they brought back wither.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
iirc wither is only on massacre girl since they said there would be a one off mechanic on one card

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Assassin's Trophy reprint

Promo pack you get from stores from uncommons in the set

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 16, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's also Cloak, which is Manifest but as a Disguise instead of a Morph.

Edit: But also can affect permanents on the battlefield so I guess it just means Disguise from somewhere that isn't your hand.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 16, 2024

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

New land cycle:

Basic Land Types, ETB tapped surveil 1

They show up in the Wildcard slot in those new packs which means the land will not replace a rare in those packs if you open one.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Disguise is boring. So it's literally morph with ward 2? And conceal is just manifest, but again with ward 2?

Suspect is boring and forces awkward wording onto cards, but will probably play very nicely in limited.

Cases are strange, and a little clunky. They seem easy to solve if you build a deck around them.

Most of the legends they've shown are really bad, even in Commander. Judith is something I've wanted for a long time: a build-around legend that gives spells deathtouch and lifelink. I figured that'd be Orzhov instead of Rakdos, but I'll take it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Not crazy about the disguise or collect evidence mechanics but oh well. New versions of Massacre Girl and Krenko look pretty cool at least.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Special Guest cards (not Standard, will be coming to Arena mostly but some cards will change for some of the Special Guests, article coming out soon).

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

they've been doing weekly stories, the eighth of which just dropped

I must have missed those, I didn't think they'd be starting that early

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Crime Novelist and Krenko make a pretty gross pair.

Novelist would also be a good counter to white decks going hard on Get Lost since it makes map tokens free and a bonus +1/+1

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 16, 2024

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I really wanted to play Tireless Tracker in Standard again :smith:

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
I'm not a fan of having both disguise and cloak together, since a cloaked card can be turned up for its mana cost, but a card played face down with disguise can only be turned up for its disguise cost. It looks like they created only one reminder token for those two different states.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Crime Novelist is the card in the set most likely to be banned at some point in the future, calling it now.

I was looking at what would potentially go in an Etrata deck for Commander. There aren't many cards that manifest or pseudo-manifest cards from your opponents, but there's a few Cyberman related cards from the Doctor Who sets that do.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can a cloaked card be turned up for it's disguised cost?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this set seems like it will be tedious. but I guess we will have to see how it plays out ingame.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

Can a cloaked card be turned up for it's disguised cost?

i think that's how morph and manifest worked previously, so yes

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Special Guest cards (not Standard, will be coming to Arena mostly but some cards will change for some of the Special Guests, article coming out soon).

Apparently all are coming to arena. People on reddit are saying it was confirmed in a discord.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

S&T and Gamble for Timeless let’s fuckin goo

I love the theming, on first read some of the mechanics seem more suited for digital play than paper but I’m interested to see how they play out. Long Goodbye as a card name bangs.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 16, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i miss field decks but i assume they're too slow to hang in timeless

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

flatluigi posted:

Field of the Dead? There are a ton of them, it's a tier deck. Primeval Titan ramp decks with bonus Natural Order.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 16, 2024

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Au Contraire, they’re incredibly strong. Assuming you mean Field of the Dead.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i do mean field of the dead, and that's good to hear. i've been taking a break from constructed to attempt to focus on playing something other than mtg/hearthstone/snap recently so i haven't done a dive into timeless' meta other than the very beginnings of people figuring out the format

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder how much Timeless comes into account when it comes to picking which cards get added as special Guests.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Warleaders call seems dangerous. It doesn't add up is standard playable. Krenko is sneaky good niche card.

No more lies is really loving annoying in at least two formats. Analyze the pollen might be a decent card in some older formats.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
When the new duals are lined up, letters and numbers form on the borders that say RNA32x5+4. Someone figured out that's Ravnica Allegiance #164, which is Cult Guildmage. Its art is a Rakdos cult member with a Jace puppet, so Jace is somehow involved in whatever future story Murders sets up.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Apparently all are coming to arena. People on reddit are saying it was confirmed in a discord.

I was just going by what was said on the official stream; they said that not all of the special guest cards are coming to Arena and some will be swapped out with another card.

newershadow
May 18, 2014

Fritzler posted:

There's an article out on MKM's The List that also confirms it. This is also how Arena is going to get Smuggler's Copter since it's one of a couple swaps of (non-SPG) list cards.

LifeLynx posted:

When the new duals are lined up, letters and numbers form on the borders that say RNA32x5+4. Someone figured out that's Ravnica Allegiance #164, which is Cult Guildmage. Its art is a Rakdos cult member with a Jace puppet, so Jace is somehow involved in whatever future story Murders sets up.

So this is probably more related to the RavnicaDetectiveAgency.com thing, which is a puzzle hunt that sounds like it's going to have a lot of stuff to find in card art. You can't start entering answers until Feb 2nd on prerelease day so this probably isn't going to pay off for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

A Jace coded guy shows up for a cameo when sherproft Holmes enters his mind palace, so we knew he's around