Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
For me it's during the 2nd doctors run that I start to struggle with when I watch everything in order. Just too many recons. He's a great doctor but that part was tough to get through.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Tom Baker rocks right from the start. New series fans may recognise an early line when a physician is trying to get him to relax: "You may be a Doctor, but I am the Doctor. The definite article, you might say."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

For me it's during the 2nd doctors run that I start to struggle with when I watch everything in order. Just too many retcons. He's a great doctor but that part was tough to get through.

I've done the every single episode in order march before and, yeah, the reconstructions in the second era make it the hardest part. It's not just that the episodes are missing, it's how the reconstructions are often lifeless even by the standards of slideshows. There's a lot you can do artistically to try to give the visual aspects some life and very few of them even try.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm actually pretty impressed with these first couple of episodes of Doctor Who with Tom Baker. He's got this manic energy that just feels like the doctor .

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hollismason posted:

I got past the Aztecs lmao

Ah, the Sensorites. Few people doing the Hartnell watch-through make it past there!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

I'm actually pretty impressed with these first couple of episodes of Doctor Who with Tom Baker. He's got this manic energy that just feels like the doctor .

The programme format we think of as "Doctor Who" only really coalesced in the late Hartnell era; try The Tenth Planet (or basically any Troughtons minus the dominators, krotons and underwater menace)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Ah, the Sensorites. Few people doing the Hartnell watch-through make it past there!

The Sensorites was my first story!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

I like the opening episodes of the Sensorites, and I like that it's "aliens but they aren't really monsters." That wasn't inevitable after the Daleks. But it just doesn't quite manage past that point, especially when we find out that sensorites all look alike TO SENSORITES.

It's a mix of some brilliant atmosphere mystery and "aliens are different but not enemies" with some baffling stupidity.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Rewatched Nightmare In Silver after it came up in this thread, and it remains a perfectly fine episode of Doctor Who. The only thing I actively dislike is the children, who are played by bad actors who are given pretty tedious dialogue to deliver. Matt Smith overhams it a little as the baddie, but then maybe that's just my personal distaste for hammy acting

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

2house2fly posted:

Tom Baker rocks right from the start. New series fans may recognise an early line when a physician is trying to get him to relax: "You may be a Doctor, but I am the Doctor. The definite article, you might say."

Just as well he didn't relax, that (indefinite) doctor is (definitely) an imbecile. :haw:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm looking forward to seeing Genesis of the Daleks for the first time. Only hearing about it and knowing generally what happens in it. Kind of crazy that it was a 1st season story for the 4th Doctor , but its considered on of the greatest Doctor Who stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I remember the story right, Terrance Dicks had gotten fed up with Terry Nation just lazily repackaging the same Dalek story over and over again whenever he wanted to do a remodel on his house, and told him to do something novel with them, and he gave them an absolute loving classic as a result.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Any thread suggestions for watching certain episodes of Doctor Who out of order? I'm super enjoying Genesis of the Daleks.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

watch city of death.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Any thread suggestions for watching certain episodes of Doctor Who out of order? I'm super enjoying Genesis of the Daleks.

Don't worry about the order. Jump around all you like. You'll probably be happier that way.

Once we were normal people but we made a fateful, irreversible decision to watch all of Doctor Who in order and look what became of us.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hollismason posted:

I slave over an OP, and this is the thanks I get?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah , I'mma watch just different ones. Only Classic Doctor Who. Prior to 1989.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m gonna build a random classic Doctor Who episode picker, but it will only suggest Ghost Light.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My random classic episode selector is "what Blu-ray did I just get for Christmas?" It looks like....Timelash?!?!?!?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The best way to watch Dr. Who is the same way The Doctor travels through the universe: Haphazardly and without any sense or reason.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

watch city of death.

This. Two of Tom Baker's best lines.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I decided to watch some Sylvester McCoy stories I hadn't seen (and a few I had).

• Paradise Towers
    I'd seen this before but I decided to start my watch here because I remember liking it. And I still do. It's messy and uneven and the budget is a fraction of a percent of what would be needed to deliver on the promised visuals but the ensemble cast are a lot of fun and it has the kind of high concept, campy, revolutionary feel that a lot of good Who has. It was interesting to see this again after rewatching Gridlock because I hadn't realised how close the family resemblance was, and it probably helped the episode feel modern in a way it didn't the first time I saw it. It's not quite a classic but it gets a lot of the way there.
  • Delta and the Bannermen
    Ironically this also feels more modern than the release date would suggest too, since the Doctor and Mel end up in Wales through convoluted means and are caught up in a love triangle and an intergalactic bounty hunt. It's got a bit of a reputation for being bad but I was disappointed by that and just found it boring instead.
  • Dragonfire
    It feels weird to call this a run-of-the-mill story given the introduction of Ace, the infamous cliffhanger and (less notably but still interesting) some FX/production work that is pretty good, especially for the era. But there's just not much to talk about and if you do it's hard to avoid things like Mel's awkward exit ore the related matter of Glitz' more arseholeish characterisation. It's fine I guess.
  • Happiness Patrol
    This is an absolute fever dream that anticipates the "louder, gayer, and with access to a time machine" spirit of the RTD era and it rules. It's working with a lot of the same ingredients as Paradise Towers (the bolshy spirit, the camp) but the recipe is so much better and it finishes strongly rather than slightly deflating before being served.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing Genesis of the Daleks for the first time. Only hearing about it and knowing generally what happens in it. Kind of crazy that it was a 1st season story for the 4th Doctor , but its considered on of the greatest Doctor Who stories.
My first two concerts were in 1998. Beastie Boys and Led Zeppelin (well, Page and Plant doing Zeppelin tunes as well as tracks from Walking Into Clarksdale) and this was a huge loving mistake because in all the years since, only one concert has ever measured up.

I'm really loving mad at myself for watching Genesis of the Daleks first as an intro to classic Who. I'd already learned that loving lesson, dammit. What was I thinking?

I still haven't made it all the way through another serial. They all pale in comparison.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My first classic serial was Planet of Evil, and I turned out OK.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Technically my first classic serial had to have been a Seventh Doctor story, because his intro unlocks some deep, core childhood memory in me that I can’t place. Probably on PBS while I was 4 and running a fever.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
My first classic story was robots of death and then followed by city of death. Set the bar pretty high for old doctor who.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think the only story that will "ruin" Classic Who is The Curse of Fenric, in how it's really the first story to pull off tethering the plot to a character's emotional journey, a move that is now basically standard for genre TV. Also it's just really loving good in general, an absolute high-water mark of the series and a preview of what it would have looked like in the 90s.

Then they canceled the show the next serial.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh drat I was not expecting Loch Ness monster

I think I'mma stick it out with Tom Baker for a little while at least . I wanna move on to Sylvester McCoy at some point because I have vague child hood memories of him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Terror of the Zygons is a solidly good story. It‘s genuinely creepy in places and the Zygons themselves are very effective. It looks gorgeous (aside from some of the Skarasan shots), and it’s probably my favourite Tom story.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Terror of the Zygons is a solidly good story. It‘s genuinely creepy in places and the Zygons themselves are very effective. It looks gorgeous (aside from some of the Skarasan shots), and it’s probably my favourite Tom story.

They're super loving creepy looking

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Special mention to the nurse whose skull is trying to escape her head and looks creepy as a human.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Shout out to the Zygon leader giving the Doctor a lift for no reason

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I will say this after watching the first season of Tom Baker. His Doctor is super enjoyable to just watch. I can see why he's the favorite Doctor of a lot of people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Shout out to the Zygon leader giving the Doctor a lift for no reason

He’s a long standing part of the community, and still likes to be seen helping out. “I will be taking over your planet, yes. But also Mrs Tilley has asked for help getting her firewood in, and I’m not a monster.”

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished Angels Take Manhattan. I forgot that this episode was really good, huh.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SirSamVimes posted:

Finished Angels Take Manhattan. I forgot that this episode was really good, huh.

The plot is nonsense, but the emotions hit. That said, there's only one thing about that episode that's refused to leave my head from the moment I first watched it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It could finally happen this year.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Edward Mass posted:

My first classic serial was Planet of Evil, and I turned out OK.

Mine was The Five Doctors, followed by Nightmare of Eden.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I've never really watched Pertwee but I know he was my first because I remember seeing him as a kid on PBS and my grandmother in Ohio absolutely had a crush on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I started by watching whatever was on Netflix for Classic Who, then gave up and realized I was a completionist and just watched the full run, repros and everything. I had seen all of New Who at that point, which I think had just reached the Matt Smith era.